Mercantila Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mercantila

Candidate Interview Review

Logistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mercantila (San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

I sent a cover letter and resume through CraigsIist. The response from Mercantile came through an e-mail. There was not follow up a phone call to make sure that I had received the e-mail from the Human Resources/Office Manager and she did not include her phone number on the e-mail in the event that I needed to get back to her via phone. I went for an interview at Mercantila that lasted for over two hours and with five members: a direct manager, the CEO Nikhil, Business Intelligence member, and two minor team members. The floor plan is an open floor (no cubicles) with no privacy, zero. Members face each other on white tables and in a long row. The tables and chairs are not ergonomic at all. One individual by the entrance of the floor (by elevator) was sitting sideways, the back of his chair due to his weight was curved to the side beyond what would be good for this man's back. The company has not made any efforts to make sure that you are not working hunched over the high tables and maintain a healthy posture. Everyone is on 17 inch laptops. (It was later shared by an upper manager during the job offer disclosure that "we work from home at night to do whatever needs to be done to get the job done." Walls are white. The physical environment is very, very, plain. I counted heads and most of the work force is male. You sit on a white couch next to the glass conference room to wait to be interviewed. In my case, I waited for about 10 minutes while the previous interview was completed. The dress code is casual.

Interview Questions

• You will require to take an Excel test during the interview on a Mac laptop.   1 Answer
    • Question will be around the topic of how to reduce cost, damaged returns, create scorecards, and consumer complaints.   1 Answer

The position was posted on Craigslist as Position Type: Full Time. As the interview process continued the position changed from full time to part-time. Salary to hourly. Permanent to "we are not sure if we are going to keep this position long term." The job offer came for a "Temporary Logistics Analyst" position for 30 days. Mercantile would not add the "what happens" after the 30 days to the job offer letter. Huge red flag! I heard several excuses, first I head that the company was public and they had to file every document with FCC. I am not making this up! The next call this was changed to " the 30 days is to make it less difficult if you have to be fired." When I said that in the State of California you can fire or I can leave "at will" there was no explanation. And the worst incident during the interview process was to ask me (via e-mail) if I have confidential reports (scorecards) from other companies that I could share with Mercantila. This is unethical! If you are applying for a job at Mercantila be x-cautious. Research consumer 2010 reports. It is frightening the feedback:, get on BBB/San Francisco web site,, make sure that you are aware of the company's history, the unethical environment that is accepted, and the terms/details of the position are changed with every conversation. On more thing, for those applicants in the mid-to-senior level careful that they do not use your interview as a free consultation as they try to drag out of you micro details that are beyond assessing if you are a good fit or not. At one point it became uncomfortable for me and I did say several times during the interview that they need it to "hire me" if they were so pleased with my knowledge. I was asked what my last salary was and the offer came 20K below. (!) During the job offer negotiation, upper management did not negotiate a single item no matter how small. Hope this helps someone out there.