Minerva Language Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Minerva Language Institute

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Minerva Language Institute

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in February 2017.

Interview

First interview was one-on-one and quite easy. The second one was with a group and we had to do some role plays to show our skills. Honestly, I couldn't fault the interviewers, but I really wish they had given more information about how many hours of work the company would give each month.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that constantly annoys management?   1 Answer

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sakai, Osaka (Japan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Sakai, Osaka (Japan)) in August 2017.

Interview

The company called to ask me a few questions on my educational and working background. Then they sent an email to invite me to a group interview. The interview started with a written test, a Japanese test (which doesn't affect employment) and then a company profile presentation followed by a demo lesson (5-10 mins) attended by staff and other interviewees. The staff at the demo lesson asked questions on other techniques I would use during a lesson.

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in March 2018.

Interview

Company requires you to take and bring two passport sized photos of yourself at your expense. Very unfriendly emails. I had to email the company to confirm the date and time, and the interviewer sent a letter apologising, as he forgot to email me. Upon arrival, he gave a general overview of the school, then presented a picture of McDonalds, then an airplane, then some "gears" of a machine, and asked how I thought these could be related to the job. Long story short, he said McDonald cheese burgers are all the same, and so are their standardised lessons. The airplane was to relate to asking for time off - trips to the home country, and the gears were how management, teachers, staff, etc work together. A bit bizarre for interview questions. Next was the demo lesson. First, I was to simply teach a song. I did, then was questioned on the PPP (presentation, practice, and production). Totally silly, as this was just a song for a supposed three year old. I don't thing you need "PPP" for a warm up song. Then was asked to do a short demo lesson to teach animals, and a book activity. The interviewer did almost all of the talking, except during the role play, in which he said he was acting as the student, but didn't want to leave his chair. Very unrealistic, besides trying to imagine a large foreigner being a three year old. When I did answer a question or make a comment, they were never really taken seriously, and the interviewer just went back into his "speech mode". Then he tested my Japanese by asking me some simple questions in Japanese. After the interview, I heard nothing for a week, and had to email them to ask if I was still being considered. At that time, was told that they had selected another candidate. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• How early should you request a day off.   1 Answer

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shinjuku (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Shinjuku (Japan)) in April 2017.

Interview

1 st interview was an overview of the company, a short teaching role play and a pretty easy grammar test. They interviewed me for a full-time position as well as the 4 other people who interviewed with me. I was called back for a 2nd interview and told them that I wanted a full-time position. They told me that they were offering full-time positions. The interview was another role play and discussion of the company's great benefits. I left the 2nd interview thinking I was being considered for a full-time position. I got called in for a contract signing along with the 4 other people I interviewed with. We were all told at this point that we could take part-time positions. No benefits. I was promised 20 hours per week. The problem is that the hours are spread throughout the week that it is difficult to add another part-time job. For example; I have one class at 10AM and the next one does not start until 3PM. I found out during the last day of training that they only work three weeks a month. So, I do not feel that they were very honest about things up front. I took the job in the short term while I look for full-time.

English Language Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in May 2018.

Interview

The first interview was through Skype. There was a simple grammar test and a short story telling lesson. Overall a positive experience.

The second interview involved more explanations of the company, but I found many things differed from what I was told in the first interview. There was also a short demonstration where the interviewer pretends to be a child. The interview itself wasn't particularly difficult, but the interviewer was very unprofessional, making generalizations about Japanese people and speaking poorly about the company's "product".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in February 2018.

Interview

The recruiter mostly does the talking. He explained teaching information about the company. Prepare for a demo. You will be asked to choose from the flash cards. The interview went smoothly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview had 4 phases.
    1. Question and answer - The usual question and answer phases which all job interviews have.
    2. Demo lesson - The interviewer gives you the materials and the topic and you will be given 15 minutes to prepare. She will leave you alone in the room to practice.
    3. Case analysis - the interviewer will give you a set of pictures which shows problems that could hinder effective teaching, cases in the classroom that could interrupt the class. She will then let you analyze for 30 seconds then get the pictures back. Then you will discuss each picture one by one, what you saw, identify the problem and give a solution, what you should do.
    4. Grammar exam - simple grammar exam. 1 page, back to back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Tokyo (Japan)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quite short. They ask you about the school and the position you are applying for. Thoughts about being a teacher. Followed by a grammar test. I think of you didn't passed the grammar test, you can't proceed to the next step which is a demo lesson.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute.

Interview

The interview process took a long time but they won't really tell when the result is out. They will just call you to come twice and then just that without any feedback or news

Children Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yao (Japan)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Minerva Language Institute (Yao (Japan)) in April 2018.

Interview

I sent my resume by internet and about 2 days after I went to the interview where we had a presentation of the Enterprise, a Japanese and English test, a short demo class and an interview.