Minneapolis Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2017

2.9

Food Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and didn't hear anything for a few weeks. I was then contacted via phone to schedule interview, and then sent an email confirmation with location and time and what to bring. Upon arriving I was greeted, and had to wait a few minutes. Went directly to a back room and had a one on one interview. We introduced ourselves and shared some brief details about each other and then proceeded onto the interview which pertained of basic interview questions. She explained the position very well and what was expected, explained benefits and perks, and overall was a good interview process. Did not get an offer right away, as everything goes through HR and takes some time.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage food costs? How would you manage labor? Why do you want this position? Tell me what you know about us?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools.

Interview

I was surprised with a data analysis test when I showed up, but it was pretty simple-- they wanted some descriptive analyses and some comparison analyses. I then had a group interview where everyone in the group had a sheet of the same questions and they took turns asking them. I was called back to come in the next day for a one on one interview which was a more open discussion with the director of the department.

The whole process was very negative, full of red flags, and I ended up not taking the position. I was told I was being offered the job after my second interview and didn't hear anything for several weeks. When I inquired about it, they made me come in again for another interview and said I would hear something in a few days. I did not hear anything for several weeks. I received another job offer in the meantime, and called to inform them that I needed to decide between the two places. It resulted in the director of the department calling me in a very unprofessional manner, berating me for even considering somewhere else, he seemed angry that I would want to know about the salary and benefits of the job (in the end, he also ended up offering me a lower salary than we had discussed), tried to bully me into taking the position, and he said something along the lines of he doesn't have time to commit to his employees. He later had to call and apologize for his behavior on the previous phone call. I decided not to take the job offer. Also, there was a woman who was pregnant who sounded like she was only going to take a month of maternity leave, which I also took as a bad sign.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

Called me with very short notice to get to interview. Got there and they had questions printed out that you could review. About a half hour after I was scheduled to interview, the person finally came to meet me. The whole interview lasted 15 minutes. Most of it was the person talking about the position. Position was not as advertised.

Did not hear back from interview at all. Told me that HR would get back to me but never did.

Interview Questions

• What are some interventions you would have for a student that is failing your class?   Answer Question

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

Internal candidate. Was offered an interview after application online. They needed someone quick and I was offered an over the phone interview as I was not available during open interview times. Was offered the job quickly after the interview, about 2 days. It was a fairly quick process after the application period closed.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle children if they were displaying harmful behaviors?   1 Answer

Special Education Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for two separate positions at different schools. Both were by the principal of the school. They said HR would let me know "early next week." Both did not get back to me about not getting the job. This is probably less their job and more that HR doesn't feel like letting people know they didn't get it. I put the process at 7 days because it shouldn't take that long to figure out who the SEA is going to be.
    If you interview, keep looking elsewhere. They won't let you know you didn't get it. Very unprofessional.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2015.

Interview

In every position attempted in the last 7 years, the candidate was chosen prior to job being posted. Interview was a waste of time. Some of the interviewers seemed disinterested and wrote very little of the answer given.

Interview Questions

• How important is it for director to understand finance   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools.

Interview

I applied as a current employee, heard about position from someone in IT/Media Department. The application was closed before the closing time, so had to email my contact and HR to get it reopened. So the process had already not started out well. Was informed through automated system that my application had passed review. Was called during the day (was working in the district, so unable to answer phone), and HR left a voicemail asking if I could come in for an interview in 2 days during the mid morning hours. If they had looked at any part of my application they would have seen I was currently teaching. So I called back and left a message asking if there was any flexibility on interview times, as it was the beginning of the school year and as a teacher, taking time off is stressful enough. They called back the next morning, stating that there was no flexibility for the interview time, that was the only time and that they were not going to progress further with my application because they needed someone who could start immediately and I would have to give my school proper notice.

Interview Questions

• Wouldn't know- they refused to be flexible in interviewing.   Answer Question

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview and hiring process was a positive experience. Although, there was some delay in HR contacting me after the interview due to some confusion and lack of communication at the school Administration level. I later learned that the District Nursing Manager originally wanted to place an internal candidate for the position instead of an external applicant.

Interview Questions

• Did I have experience with asthma, seizures and diabetic care?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2014.

Interview

I was asked to come in twice for screening interviews. I passed the first found but they made a mistake and once I sat down for an interview the second time they told me I had no reason to be there because I had passed that stage.

I was asked to come in for an "open house" type "hiring event". I submitted my availability and was given a specific time to interview with a school. When I got to the event, it was a huge cattle call. Schools and administrators were set up in a large room at tables and it was highly unorganized. An MPS HR employee told me that I needed to just wait next to the table and "jump in" when there was an opening. After waiting for the conversation/interview to finish, I was able to introduce myself to the Principal. He informed me that he decided to hire the previous interviewee (who jumped in when it wasn't his interview time). It turns out they weren't interviewing all candidates, the schedule was meaningless, and Principals were competing and selecting candidates on the spot after a 5-10 minute conversation.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you encountered a difficult student and what did you do?   1 Answer

Assessment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Minneapolis Schools (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2013.

Interview

No initial communications or phone interviews. I was called to go to the onsite interview the next day, which turned out to be the final round of interview with a panel of six interviewers. I was given a sheet of questions (about 15-20 of them) and 15 minutes to prepare. The actual interview lasted about 45 minutes. They made the decision really quickly.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about MPS? What do you think the biggest challenges we are facing?   Answer Question
    • Describe a typical day of your ideal work.   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that was most rewarding to you. What was your role? Why was it very rewarding for you?   Answer Question
    • Describe the methodologies and methods you have used in research/evaluation. And give us some examples on how you used those methods.   Answer Question
    • How do you explain statistics or measurement concepts to people with little technical background? Can you give an example?   Answer Question