Molecular Devices Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 18, 2017

2.6

Field Applications Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Molecular Devices (New York, NY).

Interview

Went through several phone interviews and was invited for an in person interview at the HQ. When it was time for me to schedule the in person interview, it was radio silence.. neither the HR or the hiring manager would respond properly as to why they kept postponing the interview and eventually they just stopped responding. It was an extremely unprofessional experience. If they weren't interested in interviewing me they could have just said so instead of leading me on over several months.

Interview Questions

• How previous experience applies to the role I was applying.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Molecular Devices in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online through a job board, within two weeks I was contacted by an HR guy. The HR gentleman and I had a good 5 minute conversation about of my resume and I was told the Hiring Manager really liked my profile, that I should get a call for a 1:1 interview from them soon. That if all goes well, I should be invited to their Sunnyvale office for a final interview. Unfortunately the Hiring Manager was traveling and the HR gentlemen couldn't give me an approximate date, but they should call soon.

I waited 7 days before calling the HR guy to get an update, the HR guy told me he would call the hiring manager and get an update. 2 weeks go by no reply, I call again and leave a message to get an update; no answer for another week (Christmas time, so I can forgive that). 3 months since I first applied and spoke with them and still no response. I am very patient man and I was working so I wasn't truly crunched for time. However, my time was wasted that I could have spent on other equally important things.

My advice: Don't waste people's time. If you are going to move forward then be forthright, if not tell them upfront. We are all adults, we can take the rejection.

For Interviewees: Don't bother with Molecular Devices unless they are upfront about anything they say. They have no appreciation for others time. If they don't care enough to be upfront and forthright before the job, I shudder to think how working here would be like.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me your background? Have you ever worked with our devices/software?   Answer Question

Assembly Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Molecular Devices (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

It was an applied interview, they asked to me to assemble the part I did it in 15 min. Then he showed me around the production room. There was no interview questions.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Molecular Devices.

Interview

Applied online. Two phone interviews within about a week: HR and Manager. HR was pretty standard, manager was as well. In person with manager about a week later. Flown out to Sunnyvale a week after that. Met with about 5 people, all 1:1. Pretty low-stress. Offer was extended shortly after.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Molecular Devices.

Interview

Typical, multilevel interview process, phone interview, in person local interview, in person headquarters interview, HR provides job offer & details then awaits your response. Managers were previously FSEs, interview with Engineering department was a nice surprise but that Engineer is no longer with the company. (Read the corporate reviews & see if you can figure out why he left). Corporate focus is on bottom line so be sure to play up the Dollars you can deliver over customers you can satisfy.

Interview Questions

• How exactly do you troubleshoot (describe your troubleshooting method).   Answer Question

Applications Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Molecular Devices.

Interview

Interview was very well directed and based on my previous work experience. Phone interview was followed by an in-person interview. Hiring manager was very friendly and described also potential advancement opportunities. Manager described the company very well and provided details about the requirements and duties of the position. Travel responsibility is light, and they provide a company car.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Molecular Devices (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

1. Received call and e-mail confirmation from Human Resource department about a phone interview with hiring managers that include FP&A manager and VP Finance at Molecular Devices in Sunnyvale.
    2. Received another call and e-mail confirmation from Human Resource department for a formal interview with the above hiring managers.
    3. Received last call from one of the hiring managers about my interest with the company and its potential offer of the job.
    4. Received an offer letter after I accepted the job.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were job related to my previous experience in Financial Planning and Analysis, forecasting and budgeting. Asked about the process of performing those responsibilites in my previous companies, what financial and ERP systems used, described experience in working with other team members, business partners, etc.
      Specific questions about my overall system skills and skills in Hyperion Enterprise as the company is using Hyperion Enterprise financial system.
      1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation as the offer was 15% more than I expected.

FSE Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Molecular Devices (San Francisco, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Straight forward and ok. Was very relaxed and friendly. But thatcwas pr DH so do not know how it it nowdays. The old mdc was family and team spirit. Now it 6s about clear your desk and go home...

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got an offer take it or leave it. But itcwas good...

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Molecular Devices (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

First there was phone interview with the hiring manager. We talked for about an hour. The first in house interview was with 4 software engineers and lasted six hours plus they took me to lunch - more quizzing. A second interview was in front of PC using Visual Studio. A final interview session was held with two other managers and team engineers.

Interview Questions

• The individual engineers asked some simple C/C++ questions about lists and some white board questions. The main test was on Visual Studio. Using that to fix and modify an existing project. This took about two hours.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for certain salary. They matched.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Molecular Devices in September 2011.

Interview

Only a phone interview. Person conducting the interview was nice and offered a lot of information about the position. It was a new position that had previously not been filled. I wasn't really right for the position. They sent a letter of rejection in the USPS mail instead of just email. That was nice.

Interview Questions

• What type of market research have you been involved with?   Answer Question