Morningstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2017

2.8

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Interview

Phone interview and now going to final interview in Chicago. Will update this review once I go there. Interviewer was late to the phone interview session, and we spent most of the time actually talking about his role in the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you faced a challenge how did you overcome it   Answer Question
    • Was there anytime you disagreed with a person and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morningstar (Orland Park, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Three recorded questions with three attempts to answer each. I submitted the recording at 5:30 pm and was denied at 10:00 PM that night. I don’t believe anyone even looked at my responses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Overall a pleasant experience. The first round was a video interview with prerecorded questions. Nothing crazy, just three basic questions. What was nice was that you get three attempts per question, so you can always rethink your answer or take time to think it over. Afterwards, I was invited to schedule a Skype interview. The lady who interviewed me was very friendly and relaxed. Questions were strictly behavioral. I have yet to hear back about the next round.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were unqualified for a job or project and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a positive and negative team experience you've had.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a team conflict and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Interviewed for the business track of the MDP program. It was all behavioral for 2 hours with 4 different people and a case presentation. Easy interview but they were looking for fit.

Interview Questions

• It was just the basic questions like what was a time you worked on a team? Or tell me about your last internship.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morningstar in October 2017.

Interview

I applied with a referral from a current employee and was given a request to submit a video interview the same day. The interview consisted of three questions and you only have one minute to answer each one. You do get three attempts though. They asked "Why do you want to work at Morningstar", "Why should we hire you" and "How do you raise the bar for yourself and for others". Having only 60 seconds to answer those was very difficult. I am waiting to hear back if I made it to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• How do you raise the bar for yourself and for others?   1 Answer

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call several weeks later. Phone screen with 8Head of Technology for the business unit. In person interview 2 weeks later with multiple [5+] individuals over the course of an afternoon. Questions were mostly around being an agent of change.

2+ weeks passed before feedback was given notifying me they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• discuss times when I have acted as an agent of change. how did I go about getting other individuals to buy into the change.   Answer Question

Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Talked to them on career fair and get the first round on campus interview the day after, very chill. All behavioral questions. Got an email saying I got the final round on-site interview 2 weeks later.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

One call from the director of engineering and then an on-site interview where 5 different people from the team interviewed me ranging from the team ,peers,leads and the scrum master or manager. They just interview me and even though the interview went well and I felt the people were impressed I believe they went ahead with some other candidate for monetary reasons. I got a feedback after two weeks of interview. If they treat their applicants like this then I am not sure how they treat their employees!

Interview Questions

• A software application to be designed for the financial client   2 Answers

Desktop Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I arrived at the building and a crowd of people were waiting for 4 elevators. I had to wait for a couple elevator trips to get on. Very nice looking offices when I made it up to the office.

I met with 6 people total: direct manager, coworkers in the UK, HR, and a would-be peer. Only about half of those people actually seemed interested in learning more about me. It started with generic questions, but was mostly repetition of my work history. It seemed like half of those people I met with had their mind made up even though they've been trying to hire for awhile because their candidates get an offer from another company first.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you encountered a roadblock or had a difficult time doing your job.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Scheduling the in person was a pain, since they are not very flexible. They only have 2 days a week to interview, and it's clear they interview multiple people at the same time.

The phone screen went well, and was easy. The in person didn't. The question involved designing a system for tracking portfolios. I was told it was okay and I should just follow the directions abd make assumptions if I get stuck, since they left me in the room for an hour to solve it. I did some white boarding and typed some code ohh the laptop.

When explaining my code, one interviewer kept saying my implementation of one method was incorrect. After having trouble understanding him for a solid 5 minutes, the other interviewer pointed out that I had actually just followed the instructions and was correct.

The interviewers did not even bother with the code I had typed, and seemed more concerned about what tools I used rather than my capacity to learn, solve problems, and create solutions. They all seemed very rushed, since it was clear they were interviewing many people at once, even in the next room over. There was little time to ask questions and it seemed entirely one sided. I was told I would get a decision in a week, but waited will over a month for the rejection.

Interview Questions

• Design a portfolio system following the criteria provided.   1 Answer