Morningstar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Morningstar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2018

2.8

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morningstar in April 2017.

Interview

The first step is a phone interview with HR. They will generally call and leave a voicemail, but are also responsive via email. If you make it past HR, the next step is by a 2.5 hour in person interview with 4-5 people.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted the job and they asked if I was aware of any recent developments in the field I was applying for.   Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Horsham, PA) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online and was called about two weeks later for a phone interview with an HR rep from Chicago. She asked basic questions about experience and my interest in finance. Got a call about a week later to interview at the Horsham location with 7 people from the department of the available job and another HR rep. The interview consisted of 1:1 with the managing director and 2 interviews with groups of 3 current employees. Everyone was very nice and encouraged open communication if any questions were to arise. However, they seemed more interested in what you could bring to the table on day 1. Their questions seemed to take into account how successful or productive they thought you could be within the first 6 months of employment rather than what kind of employee you could develop into i.e. mostly questions on technical experience rather than behavioral. Somewhat surprising and much different than other entry level positions I have interviewed for as a recent college grad.

Their goal of interviewing candidates using current employees is, seemingly, to create an openness about their company and provide a good overview of what they do. However, I left feeling like the employees (non HR) talked too much and did not ask me enough questions to determine my qualifications.

Unfortunately, despite saying they would let me know either way, I never received a call. Points off for Morningstar. Overall it did seem like a nice, relaxed environment in which to work.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was with ByAllAccounts, Boston which looks like a startup acquired by Morningstar. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by a conversation with HR and an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of conversation with around 6 people. Not too technical but there were easy programming tech questions. The company consists of employees working for a long time and they are proud of that and some of them come as arrogant. The company is very stingy and the employees do not shy away from this fact (They say the company is conservative in terms of spending). As an example they did not even offer to pay for my travel to the onsite interview, while I had interviews with other competing companies who did offer to pay for travel. The conversation with the interviewers was good and in my opinion I think a prospective candidate with the age greater than 40 years might be good fit for them even for an entry level position. Also, the office is not at all diverse, they seem to have their own bubble. Overall the process was good, but sometimes appears as though they were doing a trial run for future interviews.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was offered an Interview from a career fair on campus and then a 5 weeks later was emailed and told that I had an interview at their chicago office. That interview consisted of 4 30 minute behavioral interviews and a group project. It took them then about 1 week to get back to me after that interview in chicago regarding an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

1. Team submit a request;
    2. Once get an approvement, HR will filter out the applications
    3. Telephone interview & onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Hard to understand the whole picture of the company strategy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

4 behavioral rounds and one technical round to work on a group project. 4 30 mins behavioral interviews followed by a 2 hour long group technical interview which was further followed by a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral, they stress a lot on what kind of person you are.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Woburn, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

Had a phone interview and did well on that. Didn't hear back until a month later. They wanted to have an onsite interview with me. When I got there I was offered a beverage. Interview only lasted about an hour but I was told about the company and the position. Then I was given a coding test. I was close to getting the answer correct but unfortunately I wasn't able to at the time. I was told on the spot that they would not be moving forward with me. Overall the guy was nice and gave some criticisms , but I did not appreciate being told that my programming skills were weak even if the coding problem was easy. The other thing I didn't like was the recruiter didn't let me take home the work and the coding problem. Fortunately I was able to remember it :). I was also rejected on the spot and while I do appreciate not being led on for like a week, I just wish he had sent me an email about that along with the criticisms.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer, express it in several sums with exactly one non zero number:

Example:

83405= 80000 + 3000 + 400 + 5   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

Scheduling the in person was a pain, since they are not very flexible. They only have 2 days a week to interview, and it's clear they interview multiple people at the same time.

The phone screen went well, and was easy. The in person didn't. The question involved designing a system for tracking portfolios. I was told it was okay and I should just follow the directions abd make assumptions if I get stuck, since they left me in the room for an hour to solve it. I did some white boarding and typed some code ohh the laptop.

When explaining my code, one interviewer kept saying my implementation of one method was incorrect. After having trouble understanding him for a solid 5 minutes, the other interviewer pointed out that I had actually just followed the instructions and was correct.

The interviewers did not even bother with the code I had typed, and seemed more concerned about what tools I used rather than my capacity to learn, solve problems, and create solutions. They all seemed very rushed, since it was clear they were interviewing many people at once, even in the next room over. There was little time to ask questions and it seemed entirely one sided. I was told I would get a decision in a week, but waited will over a month for the rejection.

Interview Questions

• Design a portfolio system following the criteria provided.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus career fair and scheduled on campus interview at that time.
    On campus 1st round interview, scheduled on-site interview that evening.
    On-site final round is two weeks later.
    I will add more after the on-site.

Interview Questions

• Side Projects. Resume project details.   Answer Question
    • Java Details: difference between final/finally/finalize, difference between interface and abstract class, what is singleton design pattern, garbage collection implementation   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and within 2 weeks received a request for a phone interview with an HR representative. That was followed by another phone interview with the hiring manager, an in person interview with the hiring manager and 2 colleagues, then a final in person interview with at least 1 executive. Overall everyone was polite and friendly, the questions were geared towards situations that were not ideal with which you have had to deal with in previous experiences. i believe that having a background similar to the position you are applying for is helpful but Morningstar puts a lot of weight on cultural and personal fit with the company. That is to say if they believe you can learn the role without difficulty and easily assimilate to the office culture you are likely to be perceived well. Keep in mind that I am speaking from a 0-3 years experience point of view.

Interview Questions

• There were not any memorable questions that stand out as difficult. The most interesting part was meeting with the company executive. He was the head of a division that had very little to do with the position for which I was applying, but it is company policy for all applicants to meet with an executive before being hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation

At the time I had no competing offers to use as leverage so the process was very short.