N26 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2018

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Java Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at N26.

Interview

It took around 3 weeks in total, recruiter was very responsive throughout the process.

Started with an HR screening interview, covering mostly my job experience. It was followed by a code challenge which is not too difficult but requires a full weekend if you want to do it right. Next step was a technical interview including a small pair-programming session; a simple problem that didn't require knowledge about specific APIs outside core Java. Last step for me was a behavioral interview with the CTO. It was a nice talk with an former ThoughtWorks consultant who definitely seems to be a great leader to work with.

Overall it was a good experience but I have my doubts about the feedback which I think was very random. I feel like either they didn't want to disclose a real reason or they just look for people that have had the exact same problems that they did. Apart from this fact the process was good and I had a good impression of the folks working over there.

Interview Questions

N26 Response

May 14, 2018

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences with us. Your comments regarding the coding challenge will be highlighted with the hiring team, we understand you took your personal time to complete this... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at N26 (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through stuffing agency.
    HR skype screening - 30 minutes - PASSED
    Slype interview with head of backend development - NOT PASSED
    Generally the guy is positive and kind, but I feel like he was looking for a specific answers and other ways were not accepted.

Interview Questions

• Design web application   Answer Question
    • How to scale up web application, how to scale up database   Answer Question
    • What if database queries takes long time? how to approach that?   Answer Question
    • What if you have a legacy application and you want to rewrite it? What strategy and deployment you will choose.   Answer Question
    • How concurrent hashmap locking implemented/works.   Answer Question
    • Why transactions are ACID? What GCs were introduced in java 7,8?   Answer Question

Business Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Netherlands, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at N26 (Netherlands, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

The first interview was just a background check with a representative of the HR department. Really easy, she just went over my CV and asked why I would like to work for N26. She also gave me more of a background check of what the company does and it's culture.

The second interview was much harder. It was a series of case questions where they want to see how you think and how you would tackle a situation. The questions were mostly relevant (explain how you would implement a university ambassador program for N26, how would you start a social media campaign, etc.), but some also required weird answers. I got asked out of a scale from 1 - 10, how much do I want to work for N26? I answered with a "12" and the interviewer then rebuttled asking why my answer was so low. Seemed like I couldn't please him with any of my answers. He also rushed a lot of the questions.

Business Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at N26.

Interview

Interview with potential futur manager

The guy was looking very busy and more focused on his computer than on the interview, found him very rude and impolite

Did not receive any update from the company following the interview

Got a very bad image of N26

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at N26.

Interview

My phone interviewer called 25 minutes late for a 30 min interview, and only after I followed up, with no apology or acknowledgement of being late. 5 minutes in the interviewer told me they were looking for someone with 3 years of experience, even though this was not listed in the job posting and my resume and cover letter clearly communicated that I did not have this.

Just want to help others avoid this frustrating and time-wasting experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at N26 (New York, NY) in November 2018.

Interview

HR partner very polite and the good thing eventho i didnt passed the exam i got the feedback anyway.
    They take about a wewk to review your code and provide the feedback

Interview Questions

N26 Response

Nov 26, 2018 – Recruiting Team

Thanks for sharing your interview experience with us! We are glad to hear that you had a positive one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at N26 (New York, NY).

Interview

Skype interview with a recruiting partner for 30 to 40 minutes. Really unprofessional body language from the recruiter. It was quite obvious that she was least interested in the process and lacked adequate technical knowledge that's required to assess an engineer. As expected got a rejection email after a day with no valid justification. Poor experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to current projects and technical skills   Answer Question

Jul 13, 2018 – Recruitment Team

Thanks for sharing your interview experiences with us. We really appreciate your feedback and would like to find out more about your experience. Please email: recruiting@n26.com so we can begin an... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at N26.

Interview

I applied through the website and got contacted back quite fast by a recruiter.

First phone call with the recruiter was nice and to the point. I was then asked to do an offline code challenge. Nothing too complicated but the question was very open ended with a lot of bonus points and architecture focus so if you want to do it right, you can easily spend a full weekend on it, maybe more.

Then I got to talk with 2 engineers from the team in a 1 hour video call. I had to write a little bit of code to verify I knew kotlin/rxjava but most of the interview was general questions. Sometimes technical, and sometimes more behavioral as well as some time for me to ask questions. Discussion was fluid overall.

I did not move past this step. I received a very generic email about the comparison between needed skills and the candidate skills. Considering the time investment they ask for their candidates, I would have appreciated a better feedback. It leaves me with the weird feeling that they did not want to disclose the the real reasons or that something else happened. Which is a pity because everyone was very nice otherwise.

Interview Questions

N26 Response

Nov 7, 2018 – Recruitment Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We are currently reviewing our technical feedback process as we want to make sure all candidates are given constructive feedback after they invest time and effort... More

Product Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at N26 in January 2018.

Interview

An employee from N26, which had worked with me in my previous job in Transferwise recommended me , so I he provided me with a "link" to apply. After submitting the information I got an email requesting to do an analysis task which I did & send it to them within the 2 day window they asked for. After this I waited for more than 2 weeks and never got a reply from them, so I then emailed them to see what was up with my process & I got a very generic message with a negative response.

It was a terrible experience, as I spent literally 2 days designing a very good analysis for them which im pretty sure they did not even look at.

I Applied on Jan 15
    Got the first reply with the task 2 weeks later on Jan 29
    Sent 3 Follow up emails as nobody replied
    The final reply from them was on Feb 22

Interview Questions

• We would now like to ask you to do the attached case project, in order to get a better impression of your skills.

You can take 2 days to complete it. Please feel free to get back to me with questions   1 Answer

Aug 2, 2018 – Recruitment Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback, we are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. We can assure you that your case was reviewed by two members of the hiring team. We aim to keep improving... More

Senior Java/Kotlin Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at N26 in May 2018.

Interview

First 45 mins discussion & a project work. There are negative comments about the company interview process in Glassdoor. Even though, I attended the interview. I spent around 10 hours for both the screening and the project work. The final result I got from them is my skill set and experiences are not matching for the role. My skills and experiences can be known by just checking my resume and In this case, the interview process should have not been initiated for me. I didn't expect this from a German company. For candidates, if you value your time, think twice before attending the interview of this company. An Unfortunate experience.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandigarh (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at N26 (Chandigarh (India)) in March 2016.

Interview

First shot HR round, which discuss about my self and short description about number26. Second round, they assign an assignment for solving with Object -Oriented design patterns and proper unit test cases. Third round is Technical round with their TL. This round is really brain storming and very interesting with technical discussions. Fourth round is with CTO "Chritan Rerbinik", he describe their work culture, roles and responsibilities of developers. This is really interesting discussion. In all rounds peoples are co-operative. But after this round without describe any reason, they not select me.
    If you really want to work with modern banking, i must recommended number26.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe the flow of code, which they provide.
      2. Question about Java 8 lambdas and write solution using lambdas, the problem they provide.
      3. Sort millions of records in the fasted order using which data-structures.
      4. Offer the application architecture to cto which will build within 6 months and the structure is scalable also.
      5. Find the records within constant time.   Answer Question