NETGEAR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview by hiring manager, followed by coding assignment and 3 hour onsite interview.
    Architecture, Scalability, Fault Tolerance, Rest Ful Api were covered. Director of engineering, Sr. Manager and a team member conducted interview

Senior Computer Vision Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process is ambiguous, disorganized, and actively antagonistic towards candidates. The Arlo camera team seems to be in limbo regarding what direction to go in, and the office environment's very dirty and sloppy state seems to be a reflection of the sloppy leadership and confused direction for the Arlo team.

- 3 rounds of technically probing, in-depth phone interviews with a mix of questions about computer vision, machine learning, and standard software development. No feedback between interview rounds, no contact from a recruiter or hiring manager ... just impromptu invitations coming out of the blue to do more and more phone interviews.

- The on-site interview was also ambiguous, with no printed schedule or itinerary. Several employees remarked to me, "Boy it looks like you'll be here all afternoon," during my interview, but I had no idea what the schedule really was at any point. No one was there to greet me either. I literally wandered unguided off the elevator and eventually just interrupted some random engineers at their desks to ask where I should go. Start to finish it lasted almost 6 hours, from 12:30 pm until 6:15 pm, and I was given no schedule or information at any point.

- Some on-site interview sessions were conducted remotely over video chat, but the company seemed incredibly disorganized, video calls were dropping, constant audio problems, and the only free room for me to sit in was the messy office of an employee who happened to be working remotely that day. Given that some of the questions were technical in nature, they certainly didn't offer a situation where someone could be comfortable or have resources like paper and a pencil to work through problems.

- The office kitchen was literally disgusting. The sink was completely full of dirty dishes, there were plates with old food on them sitting on the table, food and candy wrappers everywhere. It looked like they try to save money by either never hiring a cleaning staff or only hiring them to come in once per month. I know this sounds like a weird issue to report about an interview, but I'm telling you it was so disgusting that it was actually disruptive for the whole day, and left me with an instant impression that they don't care about their work space.

- Some of the technical interview sessions were downright rude. One interviewer literally brought in printed sheets of multiple choice machine learning questions and just slid the papers across the table to me and asked me to figure them out, no discussion, like a college exam. I actually was able to answer them all with a good level of detail, only to be given more sheets of questions for almost 90 minutes! After the machine learning questions ended, then there were two sheets of really juvenile trivia questions regarding how to use the pandas library in Python for common join / merge / filtering operations like for data summaries or data cleaning. The whole demeanor of the interview was shocking-- no communication, no discussion about problem solving. Just complete silence while filling out sheet after sheet of multiple choice questions. I was not given the chance to ask any questions about the role or the company. I have never felt so close to getting up and just walking out of an interview in all my life.

- Finally, at the end of the day, the team manager sat with me and basically told me that the job they were hiring for would not really involve machine learning for computer vision (even though this was the bulk of all the technical questions I was asked about all day). It felt like a total bait and switch to get an overqualified machine learning expert to work on simplistic computer vision systems and to focus more on data engineering and Docker-based deployments than to focus on real machine learning.

- After the interview was over I was given an informal verbal offer over the phone. But when I discussed the salary level, private working space, benefits, and other compensation that I would be seeking (all in line with my job history and levels which are competitive and commonplace for senior level computer vision roles), the hiring manager simply never contacted me again. Deeply, deeply unprofessional.

Overall my impression is that the Arlo team is in disarray. They don't know what they need and they aren't willing to pay competitive compensation for skilled workers. Despite this, they will still rake you over the coals with an incredibly intense, sloppy, and unfriendly interview process.

My advice: steer clear. This place seems really unprofessional, the workers on the team don't seem happy or clear about what the team goals even are, and they seem like they really might be trying to bait and switch someone overqualified to join while not offering good work projects. I'm not even sure they have enough self-awareness to understand how antagonistic and unfriendly their interview process is.

Interview Questions

• - Write a function to produce the convolution of an image with a filter
      - Write a function that fills a buffer with a rolling set of image object segmentation results
      - From a set of loss functions like L2 loss or hinge loss, explain which ones are rotationally invariant, sensitive to rescalings of the input features, and which are convex.
      - Given a set of standard random forest trees and a set of gradient boosted trees, explain how the model's predictions would change if you remove the first tree, the last tree, or make other changes after training.
      - Talk about a system design you've worked on where a web service provides computer vision computations on input images. How did you test it? How did you deploy it?
      - Given a pandas DataFrame with some numeric columns, how to produce counts of data for different category IDs, including with or without extra processing to remove noisy, missing, or outlier data points.   Answer Question

They were unwilling to offer competitive compensation or benefits in line with the types of market rate job offers you can find for computer vision and machine learning roles.

Software Engineer, Internal Tools and Data Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NETGEAR (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Was asked a few questions about Python - what are generators, difference between range and xrange, lists and tuples, etc. Answered each properly but was not called to the next round. No feedback provided. Tried to ask for feedback in a different email but no response.

Interview Questions

• Range vs Xrange
      What are generators
      Lists vs Tuples   1 Answer

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NETGEAR.

Interview

phone interview, asked all questions about lan and wan. onsite interview , asked deep quesiontaion. did labs in gns and real lab in netgear routers.phone interview, asked all questions about lan and wan. onsite interview , asked deep quesiontaion. did labs in gns and real lab in netgear routers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Talk about my projects. Talk about my school. Ask about my career plan. Ask about what I want to do in the future and whey I join net gear.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NETGEAR.

Interview

It was a rather short phone call. The main topic discussed was the relevant skills and software knowledge for the position and what the position responsibilities would require for whoever secured the job.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NETGEAR (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

short, the questions asked were not relevant to the job title nor were they relevant to the job position. I would not recommend doing this type of process for an interview.

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA).

Interview

First hiring manager was nice enough, but suggested I lie about technical experience to the next person on the interview panel. Weird. Either this was an extreme ethics test, or the whole department is nuts.

Next interviewer was very condescending and thought she was Anna Wintour. Extremely severe, a little too serious for just working at a tech company.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how internet routers work?

Keep in mind: Job description didn't mention they were looking for a technical engineer or someone who could install routers while also being a marketing expert. I would like to know the percentage of marketing, journalism, or communications professionals who also have technical certificates and are applying for entry-level jobs...   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview after I applied online. The phone interview was very straight forwarded and basic. I was then asked to come in for a 2 hour interview on site. I met with most of the team that I would be a part of and my potential direct report. Questions were pretty basic. A lot of questions were around social profiles, engagement online, etc. I was one of the first people they interviewed for the position, so they told me to check back in after a week or so. I followed up with them and said they were still interviewing but I would be contacted with a final decision in a few days. I never heard back after that. It left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• How do you think we could improve our social profiles?   Answer Question
    • How did you measure marketing metrics at your previous jobs?   Answer Question

NETGEAR Response

Apr 21, 2015 – Director of HR, Americas

Thank you for the feedback on your interview at NETGEAR. Our practice is to actively communicate with our candidates so we apologize if this was not your experience. We have recently filled the... More

Lead Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Well, I applied for a Web Developer role, but they were impressed with my background and experience so they suggested the Lead Web Developer position; since they are using an enterprise WCM platform. I know from experience that there is a shortage of WCM experts for this specific platform (that I will not name), so I was surprised that they were leveraging this product but made no mention of it in the job description. I was very pleased to find that I was a better fit than expected and I believe the feeling was mutual which is why the phone screen and interview took less than two weeks to schedule. They were anxious to get me in for an interview, but unfortunately I was extremely disappointed from the very moment I walked into their headquarters in San Jose.

I will only preface my comments by stating that I was going to refrain from putting up any post on, because I do not want it to be misinterpreted; but I feel others should know what to expect. Furthermore, I think management needs to realize what is going on and Silicon Valley as a whole, because there is obviously a problem and it only drives people, like me, away from working at certain companies.

Unfortunately, this is not going to sound "politically correct" but from the moment I walked in everyone I saw was of asian descent and this literally screamed at me. Please understand that I am hispanic/latino and I am used to being in an environment where "disenfranchised minorities" (black and latino) are underrepresented, but this seemed highly irregular. Initially, I thought it was just my paranoia because I was in the main entrance and maybe it was just random coincidence that everyone walking in and out was asian. Then interviewer #1 (asian) came to get me and walked me onto the first floor to the meeting areas, where I purposely looked around the floor to get an idea of the environment.

From what I could see, the entire first floor was staffed with employees of asian descent. I tried to dismiss it, but then interviewer #2 (asian) came to greet me and proceeded with his interview. Then interviewer #3 (asian) came to greet me and proceeded with his interview. The interviews are a different matter, but I just wanted to make clear that I had a problem with the lack of diversity I witnessed and in some ways it affected my enthusiasm during the interviews. I did not meet with ANYONE from the moment I arrived until the moment I left that was not of asian descent and the only person I actually saw that was of any other ethnicity was the security guard, who was black. I just think others should know and possibly wake up management to the problem I see as a prospective employee, because it was not very welcoming and the interviews only made it worse.

So aside from the lack of diversity, I found the interviews to be confrontational. I was being wooed, recruited, and pursued over the phone and email; but once I was in the room I felt like I was being interrogated. They seemed to question whether or not I actually knew the material and the only interview that went cordial was with interviewer #1, but that is usually "fluff" so interviewer #2 and #3 were the problem. I could tell that they are having problems with their WCM implementation, because they made it all so clear during the interview which turned the interview more of a confrontation and knowledge transfer.

They were not asking me to whiteboard ideas to demonstrate knowledge, but they were asking me to whiteboard solutions to their specific problems. I can tell when someone is trying to get free knowledge transfer versus testing my capability, but I went along and answered their questions without getting too specific. I genuinely do not know their setup, but I could see them taking notes and asking me to clarify items which they should already know, so in some ways I thought they really do need me. They obviously have problems with the implementation and I saw some of the other candidates in the other rooms, which ironically enough were also all asian, so they have a management problem as well as a technical problem.

I already knew they would not hire me, because interviewer #2 was extremely rude and would cut me off in mid-sentence and begin to request more technical details. There is only so much I can draw on a whiteboard because a WCM platform is not about coding, but actually knowing the product so they are trapped into believing they can code their way out of a problem.

The entire process was civil on my part; but probably the most insulting, the most hilarious part was when interviewer #3 was walking me out and actually asked me if I ever considered doing contract work. I was flabbergasted and simply shared how I worked as a contractor before, but I was looking for something permanent. I think we both agreed that we were not a good fit for each other.

*****
    Glassdoor seems to have a problem with generic job titles, so interviewer substituted.

Interview Questions

• So how do you implement workflow?   3 Answers