NETGEAR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Sr. Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview by hiring manager, followed by coding assignment and 3 hour onsite interview.
    Architecture, Scalability, Fault Tolerance, Rest Ful Api were covered. Director of engineering, Sr. Manager and a team member conducted interview

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NETGEAR.

Interview

It was a rather short phone call. The main topic discussed was the relevant skills and software knowledge for the position and what the position responsibilities would require for whoever secured the job.

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA).

Interview

First hiring manager was nice enough, but suggested I lie about technical experience to the next person on the interview panel. Weird. Either this was an extreme ethics test, or the whole department is nuts.

Next interviewer was very condescending and thought she was Anna Wintour. Extremely severe, a little too serious for just working at a tech company.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how internet routers work?

Keep in mind: Job description didn't mention they were looking for a technical engineer or someone who could install routers while also being a marketing expert. I would like to know the percentage of marketing, journalism, or communications professionals who also have technical certificates and are applying for entry-level jobs...   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview after I applied online. The phone interview was very straight forwarded and basic. I was then asked to come in for a 2 hour interview on site. I met with most of the team that I would be a part of and my potential direct report. Questions were pretty basic. A lot of questions were around social profiles, engagement online, etc. I was one of the first people they interviewed for the position, so they told me to check back in after a week or so. I followed up with them and said they were still interviewing but I would be contacted with a final decision in a few days. I never heard back after that. It left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• How do you think we could improve our social profiles?   Answer Question
    • How did you measure marketing metrics at your previous jobs?   Answer Question

NETGEAR Response

Apr 21, 2015 – Director of HR, Americas

Thank you for the feedback on your interview at NETGEAR. Our practice is to actively communicate with our candidates so we apologize if this was not your experience. We have recently filled the... More

Lead Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Well, I applied for a Web Developer role, but they were impressed with my background and experience so they suggested the Lead Web Developer position; since they are using an enterprise WCM platform. I know from experience that there is a shortage of WCM experts for this specific platform (that I will not name), so I was surprised that they were leveraging this product but made no mention of it in the job description. I was very pleased to find that I was a better fit than expected and I believe the feeling was mutual which is why the phone screen and interview took less than two weeks to schedule. They were anxious to get me in for an interview, but unfortunately I was extremely disappointed from the very moment I walked into their headquarters in San Jose.

I will only preface my comments by stating that I was going to refrain from putting up any post on, because I do not want it to be misinterpreted; but I feel others should know what to expect. Furthermore, I think management needs to realize what is going on and Silicon Valley as a whole, because there is obviously a problem and it only drives people, like me, away from working at certain companies.

Unfortunately, this is not going to sound "politically correct" but from the moment I walked in everyone I saw was of asian descent and this literally screamed at me. Please understand that I am hispanic/latino and I am used to being in an environment where "disenfranchised minorities" (black and latino) are underrepresented, but this seemed highly irregular. Initially, I thought it was just my paranoia because I was in the main entrance and maybe it was just random coincidence that everyone walking in and out was asian. Then interviewer #1 (asian) came to get me and walked me onto the first floor to the meeting areas, where I purposely looked around the floor to get an idea of the environment.

From what I could see, the entire first floor was staffed with employees of asian descent. I tried to dismiss it, but then interviewer #2 (asian) came to greet me and proceeded with his interview. Then interviewer #3 (asian) came to greet me and proceeded with his interview. The interviews are a different matter, but I just wanted to make clear that I had a problem with the lack of diversity I witnessed and in some ways it affected my enthusiasm during the interviews. I did not meet with ANYONE from the moment I arrived until the moment I left that was not of asian descent and the only person I actually saw that was of any other ethnicity was the security guard, who was black. I just think others should know and possibly wake up management to the problem I see as a prospective employee, because it was not very welcoming and the interviews only made it worse.

So aside from the lack of diversity, I found the interviews to be confrontational. I was being wooed, recruited, and pursued over the phone and email; but once I was in the room I felt like I was being interrogated. They seemed to question whether or not I actually knew the material and the only interview that went cordial was with interviewer #1, but that is usually "fluff" so interviewer #2 and #3 were the problem. I could tell that they are having problems with their WCM implementation, because they made it all so clear during the interview which turned the interview more of a confrontation and knowledge transfer.

They were not asking me to whiteboard ideas to demonstrate knowledge, but they were asking me to whiteboard solutions to their specific problems. I can tell when someone is trying to get free knowledge transfer versus testing my capability, but I went along and answered their questions without getting too specific. I genuinely do not know their setup, but I could see them taking notes and asking me to clarify items which they should already know, so in some ways I thought they really do need me. They obviously have problems with the implementation and I saw some of the other candidates in the other rooms, which ironically enough were also all asian, so they have a management problem as well as a technical problem.

I already knew they would not hire me, because interviewer #2 was extremely rude and would cut me off in mid-sentence and begin to request more technical details. There is only so much I can draw on a whiteboard because a WCM platform is not about coding, but actually knowing the product so they are trapped into believing they can code their way out of a problem.

The entire process was civil on my part; but probably the most insulting, the most hilarious part was when interviewer #3 was walking me out and actually asked me if I ever considered doing contract work. I was flabbergasted and simply shared how I worked as a contractor before, but I was looking for something permanent. I think we both agreed that we were not a good fit for each other.

*****
    Glassdoor seems to have a problem with generic job titles, so interviewer substituted.

Interview Questions

• So how do you implement workflow?   3 Answers

Interview

N/A was acquired when acquisitioned from Sierra Wireless

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was none

Senior Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Overall good process. Not very tough questions.
    Interview was multiple rounds and went over several days. Interview was more focused on working with ODM /JDM and handling the SW related bug management and debugging.

Overall interview process went smooth and all the interviewers were cordial. process took around more than 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1) About managing the ODM
      2) Handling SW issues with the projects
      3) Time management   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at NETGEAR (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, hiring manager is cordial and have a long conversation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

reverse a linked list.

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at NETGEAR (San Jose, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly and easy to talk to. It was a great experience. Questions were the usual ones you would expect. Talk about your experience that is relevant to the role in question. Be sure to ask some meaningful questions in the end.