NETGEAR Reviews | Glassdoor

NETGEAR Chairman and CEO Patrick C.S. Lo
Patrick C.S. Lo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance doesn't exist (in 11 reviews)

• One should realize the company's operation philosophy when it spends all the cash in share buy back instead of R&D (in 7 reviews)

1. "Principal Security Architect"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Very dynamic environment in which you have no time to get bored. Also a very nice company size for me so you do not end up being just an HR number but a human being.
    Very smart guys so you will learn a lot here. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Nothing is perfect (including me) but frankly I haven't seen any significant issue that is worth mentioning here.

"Poor Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Compensation is good
    Easy commute
    Nice discount on Netgear products

Cons

Work Life Balance doesn't exist
    People burn out quickly
    Company runs too lean which results in no growth opportunities
    Benefits are the worst of any company I've worked for

Advice to Management

Increase headcount to allow for improved work life balance

"Terrible Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at NETGEAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is doing quite well financially, especially after security camera Arlo was introduced. The company invests in technology and new product development. There are new products to be launched in the near future. Company outlook is pretty good.

If you join the right business and the right team, you can have career path for the long term. But on the other side, if you join the wrong team, you will suck.

There are some small perks, such as summer gift, company parties, free lunch at least once a quarter.

Cons

Company culture is horrible. Lay-off happens every once a while. The sales strategy changes all the time. They always hire people to test if the new model works, and are very inpatient. If the new model doesn't work for a few months, they lay off all the people just hired. Severance package is pathetic. They minimize the severance package to allow the management team to freely lay off people at minimal cost. Company makes poor decisions, but innocent employees pay for it.

I've seen many good people let go, later, the management team realized the mistake, and then hired less experienced people to fill the positions. It's been sad and horrible.

Very unprofessional managers. Most of the managers only care about the employees who are willing to establish personal (beyond professional) relationships with them or who come from the same ethnic groups. That's why if you are a Chinese in Supply Chain, or Indian in IT, or Irish in Finance, or if you go to lunch individually with your boss every day, or carpool with your boss every day, you will be more likely to succeed.

Advice to Management

They only care about the short term financial performance, and nothing else. The CEO has once said in all-hands meeting that we don't want the customers to call. They don't care about customer satisfaction. How do you provide reasonable advice to folks with this kind of mindset?

The company has "no office romance" policy, however, how do you deal with those relationships that are not romance but definitely beyond normal professional boundaries?

4. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work / life balance compared to other Silicon Valley companies. Good internal moral. Interesting range of different products to work on.

The company treats the employees well and with respect.

Cons

Somewhat limited advancement opportunities due to smaller company size and very flat management structure, but this is dependent on which business unit one is working in.

Compensation dollars are competitive, but stock growth is somewhat flat.

Advice to Management

Continue development of diverse product offerings

5. "Great company!"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

autonomy, ability to make a visible impact, breadth of growth opportunities, great technology, friendly employee population

Cons

the company generally runs lean

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, little bureaucracy, positive work environment

Cons

Too conservative on hiring

7. "Enjoyed My Time There"

I worked at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working with the people. Most were very competent. Good benefits and bonus plan. Company is willing to get you the tools needed for the job. Good quarterly lunch and after work events. They try hard to balance high work demands with little but meaningful perks. Overall, a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Lots of overseas calls at night that you need to support. Many seem to thrive on how late they can schedule meetings and send emails out - I never got hassled for not responding to emails till morning so it didn't bother me that much, but I know others were expected to be responding to emails at any time, day or night. I believe they value their employees, but if they need to show profit, or make a quick shift, they'll layoff people pretty fast to make Wall Street happy.

Advice to Management

Recognize when someone is trying to work too hard and get them some help. Encourage a better work/life balance. Keep up the little perks, it's appreciated.

"Don't go here especially if you are a woman."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at NETGEAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parking...Stock buy-in.,,good Health benefits....Sometimes paid lunches .

Cons

This company is the most cut-throat company when it comes to employees. They have a bunch of fake ads on Glassdoor to boost their 2.0 rating. They will terminate you off to meet their quarterly reports then hire someone the next day of the quarter to replace you. The executives buy back stock instead of investing into new jobs. They have almost zero women in the technical arena. They have laid off or kicked out all the women software developers and test engineers. Why? Maybe women don't belong here? NO GIRLS ALLOWED.

Advice to Management

Start acting like a company with morals.

"Love this place!"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance and a CEO that is here for the employees. A true visionary that works toward promoting balance in all aspects of the company. He understands the challenges of staying competitive and the hard work that takes place to make this happen. This company truly promotes the open door policy and it begins with the CEO. I am truly endeared with our CEO and our other executives who are genuinely warm and kind people <3

Cons

There are deadlines and long days at times but this goes with the territory (business) in which if we succeed we all benefit. That is how NETGEAR rolls!

Advice to Management

Communication and inclusion is important

"NETGEAR- Carlsbad, CA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

*Great people
    *flexible work schedules
    *Monthly events and outside activites
    *Exciting Products
    *Rewarding
    *Good Career advancement if you are driven
    *Executives, mgmt. and HR seem to care
    * Great Technology

Cons

bad reputation due to site layoffs from a couple of years ago and ambitious releases.. but exciting work