NETGEAR Reviews | Glassdoor

NETGEAR Chairman and CEO Patrick C.S. Lo
Patrick C.S. Lo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is a fairy tale (in 10 reviews)

• One should realize the company's operation philosophy when it spends all the cash in share buy back instead of R&D (in 7 reviews)

1. "Principal Security Architect"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Very dynamic environment in which you have no time to get bored. Also a very nice company size for me so you do not end up being just an HR number but a human being.
    Very smart guys so you will learn a lot here. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Nothing is perfect (including me) but frankly I haven't seen any significant issue that is worth mentioning here.

2. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work / life balance compared to other Silicon Valley companies. Good internal moral. Interesting range of different products to work on.

The company treats the employees well and with respect.

Cons

Somewhat limited advancement opportunities due to smaller company size and very flat management structure, but this is dependent on which business unit one is working in.

Compensation dollars are competitive, but stock growth is somewhat flat.

Advice to Management

Continue development of diverse product offerings

3. "Great company!"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

autonomy, ability to make a visible impact, breadth of growth opportunities, great technology, friendly employee population

Cons

the company generally runs lean

4. "Enjoyed My Time There"

I worked at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working with the people. Most were very competent. Good benefits and bonus plan. Company is willing to get you the tools needed for the job. Good quarterly lunch and after work events. They try hard to balance high work demands with little but meaningful perks. Overall, a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Lots of overseas calls at night that you need to support. Many seem to thrive on how late they can schedule meetings and send emails out - I never got hassled for not responding to emails till morning so it didn't bother me that much, but I know others were expected to be responding to emails at any time, day or night. I believe they value their employees, but if they need to show profit, or make a quick shift, they'll layoff people pretty fast to make Wall Street happy.

Advice to Management

Recognize when someone is trying to work too hard and get them some help. Encourage a better work/life balance. Keep up the little perks, it's appreciated.

5. "Good Company"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, little bureaucracy, positive work environment

Cons

Too conservative on hiring

"Don't go here especially if you are a woman."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at NETGEAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parking...Stock buy-in.,,good Health benefits....Sometimes paid lunches .

Cons

This company is the most cut-throat company when it comes to employees. They have a bunch of fake ads on Glassdoor to boost their 2.0 rating. They will terminate you off to meet their quarterly reports then hire someone the next day of the quarter to replace you. The executives buy back stock instead of investing into new jobs. They have almost zero women in the technical arena. They have laid off or kicked out all the women software developers and test engineers. Why? Maybe women don't belong here? NO GIRLS ALLOWED.

Advice to Management

Start acting like a company with morals.

"Love this place!"

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance and a CEO that is here for the employees. A true visionary that works toward promoting balance in all aspects of the company. He understands the challenges of staying competitive and the hard work that takes place to make this happen. This company truly promotes the open door policy and it begins with the CEO. I am truly endeared with our CEO and our other executives who are genuinely warm and kind people <3

Cons

There are deadlines and long days at times but this goes with the territory (business) in which if we succeed we all benefit. That is how NETGEAR rolls!

Advice to Management

Communication and inclusion is important

"NETGEAR- Carlsbad, CA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time

Pros

*Great people
    *flexible work schedules
    *Monthly events and outside activites
    *Exciting Products
    *Rewarding
    *Good Career advancement if you are driven
    *Executives, mgmt. and HR seem to care
    * Great Technology

Cons

bad reputation due to site layoffs from a couple of years ago and ambitious releases.. but exciting work

"Fast paced, but short term focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NETGEAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. If the company does well financially, it treats employees well, such as good bonus pay-out, summer gifts, holiday parties, etc.

2. Free drinks and bagels/fruits every Friday, but the cafeteria doesn't provide lunch.

3. You will have a career path, if you join the right team.

Cons

1. Life could be terrible in some organizations.

2. Some managers are terrible to work for and are not professional, do not respect people, and do not treat people fairly.

3. Very short term focused, trying to meet financial targets quarter by quarter. No long term strategy.

4. Completely driven by favoritism instead of merit based. They fire good employees for no reason, later backfill the positions by less experienced people. Likewise, they often promote people for no reasons. This is not a healthy environment. You will have a job and career path if you kiss up and have lunch with your boss everyday, otherwise you are out.

5. The company abuses "at will" employment and always fires people for no reasons. Every all-hands meeting talks about ethics, however, HR and Legal just make sure that the companies do things and fire people legally, and don't care about ethics. The management team constantly breach "ethics" itself.

I was initially quite shocked when I saw a 2.5 rating of NETGEAR on Glassdoor. Now having worked for the company for years, I am not surprised. Overall, it is not a very bad company to work for, but there are lots of better behaving companies out there.

Advice to Management

Focus and investment more on long term. Treat your sales people more fairly and nicely. Try to be objective to your employees.

"Skilled pros need not apply."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at NETGEAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice medical plan. Free food and drinks, onsite gym.

Cons

Work/life balance is a fairy tale.
    Reactive management instead of proactive.
    Most managers (at least at carlsbad location) suffer from extreme mirco-management syndrome. Somehow these inadequate "leaders" not only are allowed to keep their positions, but get promotions.
    Do not question anything, you will be replaced by 3 people whom you must train, whose combined salary and talent does not equal your own. If you are a serious professional there are many better options in the San Diego area.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp. Every quarterly meeting for years you stress market cap and what billion # the company wants to be at, yet you allow sub par managers with antisocial or downright toxic personalities govern a group of talented engineers. We are forced to dial into video conferences to hear how we aren't getting our bonuses again, yet someone's assistant or some random drone who does nothing to CREATE the technology you profit from... gets given a diamond watch. The grind and toil can be fulfilling at times, but that soon turns to despair when some person with a nice degree and zero tech skills (at a tech company) makes 100x what you do, and yet you tell us to work harder. Get it together. I left 3 years ago, and I still hear all the same complaints from current employees. I've personally met and had conversations with Patrick Lo, he is a very nice guy. His story is amazing and it is inspiring, I just think Netgear needs to take a step back and take care of home first before it attempts to conquer the globe.