Nav Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Staff Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Nav (Draper, UT).

Interview

I spent some time on the phone with the hiring manager discussing the position, my background, and the company. It was a very productive call.

The onsite interview consisted of three parts: a pairing problem (1hr), a technical interview (30m), and a cultural fit interview (30m).

The pairing problem was not especially challenging, but was a perfect opportunity to share what I know in a low stress environment. It felt more like a conversation, and the interviewers asked me to explain what I was doing and why. I loved the format because I tend to get stressed in interviews. No "stumper" questions, just things worth talking about.

The last two interviews were also equally chill. Chatting with some cool folks about technology and the company.

Overall, I was really pleased with the process. All the interviewers did a great job relieving some of my stress by being cool and creating a comfortable environment.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

Nov 7, 2019 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about interviewing with us. We have been working hard to improve our interview process and I am glad to hear that you had a great experience. We... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nav.

Interview

Had a technical phone screen, which went well, then in-person "culture" and programming interviews. Never heard back. First time I've not heard back from a company one way or another.

Interview Questions

• Asked to create a new application that reads from an API.   Answer Question

Aug 15, 2018 – CEO

In Feb, we decided to build out an onsite recruiting team instead of using 3rd party agencies. That transition impacted your interview experience with us, and we are sorry that you didn't hear back... More

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nav (South Jordan, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with the CTO, code challenge from a selection of a few options that was graded by the team, face to face for culture and technical with the engineering department.

Interview Questions

• Various questions about Javascript, Ruby and previous experience. Questions about things I like to do in my free time.   Answer Question

Glad to have you on board thanks for the review. Levi King, CEO

Senior Level Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nav in May 2019.

Interview

Initial phone screen was great. Good conversation about fit within the company and vision for the future. Recruiter said everything looked great and an interview would be scheduled soon. One follow up email stating a one day delay then... Ghosted. No further responses from Nav. Sorry to see a great company with a good fit drop the ball so completely.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

May 21, 2019 – CEO

We are sorry to hear about your negative experience and want to apologize for not following up with you. As a growing company, we still, unfortunately, make mistakes and that is no excuse for a bad... More

Implementation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nav (Draper, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

So I'm guessing this is the "new cool hip" thing to do with your office coordinator or recruiter?!?

This was such a cluster (you know what), more like an embarrassment for this lady representing this company.

I get a pre-screen phone call, aced the questions and all then I asked "What are the next steps moving forward". The young lady says to me "I don't know, I need to check the hiring managers calendar to see when they're available to speak with you."

Now let's pause this and think about this for a second, YOU CALLED ME OUT OF THE BLUE, ASKING ME THE PRE-SCREENING QUESTIONS AND YOUR NOT EVEN PREPARED TO MOVE TO THE NEXT STEPS YOU DON'T HAVE THAT PERSON'S AVAILABILITY ON HAND?!?!? **Shaking my head**

Needless to say, NEVER HEARD BACK FROM THIS LADY OR ANYONE ELSE FROM THIS COMPANY ABOUT THE POSITION YET IT'S STILL OPEN.

What an embarrassment, disgraceful way to interview/potential treat your new on-board people.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

Aug 15, 2018 – CEO

You are right this is not the experience we are aiming for. I am very sorry about the way we treated you. As a start up we are still learning a lot and are working through a lot of processes. Some... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nav.

Interview

Nav interviews pretty well. Typically engineering stays close to real life job expectations, so there usually isn't any excessive whiteboarding algorithms. Sometimes they will give assignments, other times just have some in-depth technical discussions. There is always an initial phone screening, and a culture section of the interview to make sure that people can communicate and get along.

Glad to have you on board. Thanks for the review! Levi King, CEO

Ruby On Rails Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nav (Draper, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

I was referred to them by a recruiter and was called in for an in-person interview. I had to sign-in, and could tell there were a few other people interviewing that week. I had a round of about 5 interviews that lasted most of the day until about 4:00pm.

They said the reason I didn't get the job was my pair programming session. That surprised me a bit, because I thought I did really well at that. I think the real reason I didn't get the job was because I had a clumsy answer to one of their people-skill / culture-fit questions.

Most of the employees seemed happy, and a few made some jokes that had me laughing pretty hard.

They value pair programming a lot. Maybe a bit too much. I like to pair program occasionally, but I'm most efficient when I'm able to deep-dive into a project and go into the zone with my headphones on. I can do both, but I lean towards headphones-style development for 80% of my time, which is why I think I wasn't the best culture fit for them.

Interview Questions

• How would you optimize Ruby for performance?   1 Answer

Aug 15, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. We do value the pair programming a lot and we have had a lot of success with our engineering hiring model. Sounds like that our way of work in current stage of life didn't... More

Content Writer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Nav.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter, who said she would arrange a time for me to interview with the hiring manager. It’s been 4+ weeks, I’ve followed up 3 times, and nothing! On the phone, the recruiter said that “at the latest” she would get back to me that same week. It’s appalling how inaccurate that was. I was very interested in the position, and I think I’d be a great fit! But, unfortunately, I’ve been ghosted.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

May 21, 2019 – CEO

This sounds like a terrible interview experience and we want to apologize that you didn't hear back from us. There is no excuse for your negative interview experience and we will be working to... More

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Salt Lake, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nav (North Salt Lake, UT) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, had my first interview within a week of applying, then an interview with the team. I really liked how they included the whole team in the process. Seemed like a great company to work for, I just accepted another offer that was too good to pass up, so I pulled my application.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

Dec 5, 2019 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are bummed we lost out on you, and wish you the best of luck at new job. If anything changes our door is always open. Levi King, CEO

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I went through four rounds of interviews, with the final round being with the president of the company. All interviews were done over the phone, and this seemed like a good place to work. I was told that I would know whether or not they would move forward with me as a candidate once I interviewed with the president.

After a week, I received a note saying they were still finishing up interviews, and they would keep me posted. Time went by, and I continued to not hear anything. I ended up receiving an offer from another company, so I called to see where I sat with Nav as I felt like Nav was a good opportunity as well. I was basically told to take the other offer as they were "still in the midst of their pipeline."

I was a little bit surprised because to me a candidate interviewing with your president means you're towards the end of the hiring process and have narrowed it down to 1-3 candidates not still entertaining new candidates. I wish they would've been more transparent on where I sat. It would've been helpful had they said either a) you're one of our strong candidates and please give us some time to decide or come up with an offer, or b) we've decided to move on. This to me seemed like they were instead caught up in a bloated process that was taking too long to make decisions.

Interview Questions

Nav Response

Jul 1, 2019 – CEO

I really dislike hearing that you had such a negative experience. It is a fair request and we should have been more transparent in where you/we were in the process. Your feedback is really helpful... More

Android Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Nav in December 2015.

Interview

After speaking to the CTO Dave King over the phone I was brought in for a discussion with two Android Developers and a UX designer. The interview was pretty laid back. They just wanted to get a feel for my skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a screen and asked me what kind of layouts I would use to develop it   Answer Question

Thank you for the feedback, super excited to have you onboard. Levi King, CEO