NerdWallet Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NerdWallet (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Preface: You are asked to bring a computer, obviously so that it's set up the way you need. However, they will happily supply one if you don't or can't.

This was, hands down, the best interview experience I had in this current job seek. The visit to the office only lasted 4 hours (instead of the expected 7-8), so by the end, my brain wasn't exhausted. Each session asked practical, real-world questions–no algorithms. The point: algorithms can be discerned using real-world problems. Our industry is often remiss about this; NerdWallet is not.

I was asked back the next day for a 1.5-hour follow-up chat with the engineering manager and the lead for another team; They felt I was a better fit because of my performance.

The talent coordinator (recruiter) was *impeccable* with communication, candor and excitement. I received a grand tour of the office, asked questions about the day-to-day.

By the end of the process, I was absolutely ready to move to the next step.

Interview Questions

• I won't give away the actual questions, but the general overview:

# 3 technical problems: 1 scripting, 1 layout/visual, 1 security (discussion)
      # 1 discussion with a product owner
      # Lunch during the process, hosted by a fellow engineer; they sat and chatted with me, asking about my passions, and answering any questions about them or NerdWallet.

Each technical session was hosted by two engineers, mostly front-end. Questions were appropriately asked by knowledgeable individuals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Just like any interview process, come to the table with confident, yet reasonable expectations. If they like you and need you, they will work with you to find something fair for both sides.

Jan 30, 2017 – NerdWallet

Hi there! We're really glad to hear you had such a stellar experience while interviewing with us. Cheers to being a Nerd!

Community Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NerdWallet (San Francisco, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied through the site, and got contacted fairly quickly asking me to do a test. I did it then an interview was scheduled a few weeks later. I agree with many reviewers on here who said that it's a colossal waste of time.

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NerdWallet in April 2018.

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter. It was one of the most uninspiring interviews that I have had. Interviewer was not good at describing the role, the expectations, and the culture of the company. After receiving the rejection email, I was so glad to not have advanced to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next job? Why are you interested in leaving your current company?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NerdWallet.

Interview

Contacted the recruiter from LinkedIn.
    1. Recruiter Call - Spoke about my current profile, what i am looking for in the new job, why nerdwallet and more about what the company is upto recently. The recruiter was very open to answering question and felt like a nice person to talk to

2. Phone Interview - Started talking about my projects and current work. Moved to some basic HTML, web requests and how the web works types questions. Then a coding question

Interview Questions

• Implement a data serializing method for a "very common" data format used in webapps.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at NerdWallet (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Engineering manager reached out to me. First had a phone screen , followed by onsite interview.

Phone screen was decent, not very tough. Onsite was not tough, maybe I screwed up :) Onsite was 5 interviews:

3 coding . One was taken by 2 engineers who seemed fairly junior and the rest were by senior people

problems were standard but not textbook, probably they took effort and did not copy questions from glassdoor or careercup.

Interview Questions

• Can't reveal questions, but can say , that of 5 interviews, 3 were coding, one was design and one was really more HR-esque, like describe a difficult situation on the job. Lunch interview was also more discussion based   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at NerdWallet.

Interview

Had a call with the recruiter, who I met at a college event. We discussed my past experience and interests (all of which were on the resume). After the call, I get an email saying they will not be moving forward. Why even setup a call if there was no intention to pursue it?

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at NerdWallet in November 2016.

Interview

We scheduled a phone interview. They called a few minutes late. I didn't get a coding challenge from them. The person on the other side of the phone seemed very nice, and I was actually surprised when I got the email that said they were not planning on moving forward with my application

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NerdWallet in November 2016.

Interview

I had somewhat bad experience with Nerdwallet. They reached out to me. I had a call with the recruiter. She scheduled me for a coder pad programming interview with one of the hiring managers at NerdWallet. I appeared for the interview. The interviewer guided me very well. All you need to do is concentrate on data structures.

I did not get any reply after the interview for more than 1.5 months. I dropped an email to confirm their decision. The recruiter replied they were still not sure. I do not like this idea of keeping someone hanging for more than a month to know if they are selected for the next round.

Interview Questions

• Overall a mix of web technologies, data structures and algorithms. I do not like to disclose the exact questions.   Answer Question

Jan 12, 2017 – NerdWallet

Hi There! First of all, thank you for leaving us with this feedback. Second of all, we must apologize for the bad experience that you were given. We agree, waiting 1.5 months for feedback and an... More

Strategy Analyst Interview

Interview

NerdWallet promptly offered me a phone interview, in which an HR manager interviewed me about past work experience and hypothetical scenarios regarding the position.

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NerdWallet (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and recruiting team responded within days. The recruiter was very professional, gave insightful color to the organization, role, and trajectory within NerdWallet. The hiring manager was pretty unprofessional. He was checking his email on his phone throughout our interview, asked rather condescending questions, and when asked what changes he was looking to implement, he responded "people need to work harder and longer here!" He also said he knew everything about NerdWallet before joining and nothing surprised him. Such an inspiring leader to work for!

Interview Questions

NerdWallet Response

Feb 25, 2019 – NerdWallet

Thank you for your feedback, this is definitely not the experience we want our candidates to have. We will be sure to address the concerns you flagged with the team. It is a top priority for us to... More

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NerdWallet.

Interview

Many rounds of "case" interviews. Really slow process that becomes disengaging quickly. Seems like an interesting company but the pace of the recruiting effort was sluggish and the interviews weren't as interesting as they should have been.

For NW: keep an eye on the interviewee experience and try not to change/cancel/delay interviews as often as you do. It makes applicants take the process less seriously and lose interest in the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Unstructured, open ended 'case' questions that test the what and the how at a firm with few resources.   Answer Question

Aug 14, 2015 – Talent Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write this review! We are so sorry to hear your interview experience wasn't better with us. We agree, long interview processes can become disengaging quickly, and... More