Network Rail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Network Rail

3.1

Graduate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (New York, NY).

Interview

An online application followed by a games based numeracy test. The numeracy test is based on sequences and spotting patterns, so the only prerequisite is basic secondary school maths.

A video interview followed and then an assessment centre in Milton Keynes.

Assessment centre is comprised of two parts. A half day interview which included;

1. Interview
    2. Group activity

In the interview, a mixture of questions are asked. Some questions are competency based and others are motivation based

Examples of questions that I were asked

1. Why do you want to work for Network rail
    2. What could you bring to network rail
    3. Describe a time you led a group effectively (competency based)
    4. Describe a time you had to make a difficult decision (competency based)

For the mechanical engineering stream some technical questions were asked. No prior knowledge is needed, what they're looking for is your thought process

1. A 20ft and a 40ft container are placed on a carriage.

Project Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in July 2020.

Interview

Filled in an online application. Got an invitation to do a video interview. I don't know the outcome yet as I did it quite recently.

I got a lot of help for interview prep so I'm reciprocating. The video interview had 3 questions in total and tasks about 18 minutes to complete the whole process.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you possess that you can apply to this role?   1 Answer
    • What is one thing you would say is unique about you?   Answer Question

Senior Finance Business Partner Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

Online application, video interview if successfully followed up by teams interview

The video interview is prerecorded with 4 questions 2 around suitability forgot 2 around competencies.

Interview Questions

• NR Safety vision
      A time when improved efficiency
      Skills possessed   Answer Question

Assistant Asset Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

The interview was conducted online via Zoom.

As soon as the interview started, I realised that it was not going to be an ordinary interview. This is because I was interviewed by 4 people, it felt more like an interrogation than an interview. I was overwhelmed with questions as I was being asked from every side.
    I felt that none of the interviewers had come prepared. Most of the questions were technical and competency-based. The interview lacked structure.
    There was no room at all for building rapport or getting to know each other due to the number of interviewers.

I have had many interviews in the past with large multinational and small consultancy and contracting firm and this has got to be one of the worst interview experience to date.

Interview Questions

• Why is safety important to Network Rail?   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when someone did not agree with you and how did you approach it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us of a time when someone criticised your work and how did you react?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Second Line Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in July 2020.

Interview

First stage of the process before a face to face is a recorded video interview of 5 questions. You are allowed 2 practice questions to check everythings working. Each question plays a video of it being asked, you have a 10 second option of repeating the question, 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to record.
    I am yet to see if I made it past this stage.

Assistant Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Network Rail (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

Relaxed, informal interview with a friendly manager. They try to get the best out of you. Was a competency based interview. If you are friendly and genuine then you will do well.

Interview Questions

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a CV and cover letter review, and an interview where the candidate does a presentation on a topic (given a week prior by the company).

Interview Questions

• What are the safety rules and principles at Network Rail, how would you find them ?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

It is an online interview which lasts for around 15 minutes. There are around 5 questions. There is no interviewer and the whole process is recorded by the machine. It takes around five days to get feedback.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you apply for this company.   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Network Rail.

Interview

case study on technical aspects of the job depending on the role; presentation on leadership also to test comms skill and finally a competencies-based questionnaire.
    this is followed by a phone call with the director to assess the ability of the candidate to work well within the wider team

Interview Questions

• What are the key risk for the organisation in the next 5 years and how would you go to support the business?   Answer Question

Assistant Asset Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Network Rail (London, England (UK)) in April 2020.

Interview

The interview process was an interview that lasted for one hour with a panel of 4 network rail employees. The interview was split into 4 sections.

1. About you
    2. Why you want to join network rail.
    3. Safety questions
    4. Technical questions (relating to roll)

The company is really big on safety, it’s really helpful if you do a LOT of research on the company website there is tons of information. This is also helpful when asked the technical questions for the roll too.

Make sure to ask questions at the end.