New School Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 5, 2018

2.4

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Panel of three or four people from management asking questions. Not more than an hour long. Applied online but didn't hear back for a few months. Had first interview with panel of people, and then a second interview with two individuals from higher management. was offered position and started two or three weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest decision you've ever had to make and why?   Answer Question

IT Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Very casual! Showed up to the office and sat down in the lobby with the employer. We discussed my cover letter briefly, and interviewer asked when I would be available for training after that.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The New School likes to hire from within. I was already working for the University and the interview was mostly a formality, although they did interview other applicants. They didn't seem to take the interview too seriously (which was indicative of senior managements attitude toward the position).

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, mostly based on technical abilities (comfortable with Microsoft Office, management skills, etc.). No questions pertaining to growth or visions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation, but the offer was generous

Mentor Interview

Interview

It was a very fast process, excellent environment. I had an overall positive experience. I recommend if you are a current student for work hours while studying intensely.

Admissions Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

I applied online for a position one to two days after it was posted. About 1.5 weeks later, a person in the recruiters office called me to schedule an appointment with my recruiter for the following week. The phone interview was pretty straight forward as far as standard questions go. They told me about the positions + benefits and then answered any questions I had about the position. They then told me that my answers would be reviewed and that if they were considering me that I would get a call within the next week to set up an in-person interview (they also mentioned that if I didn't hear back I could call the recruiter back about my status- if there was a delay or if was not going on to the next round).

I got a call within the time frame they asked for and they scheduled an in person appointment with me for the following week. I met with a group within that department and again they asked pretty standard interview questions. Very nice group and they got back to me when promised. I didn't get the job but overall I feel that The New School is a very professional place and I still very much hope to work there in the future.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

Submitted online, a week later they set up a 30 minute phone interview with 4 people. The team was friendly and the questions were the typical interview question--but with a twist. The twist is what made them hard to answer. For example instead of asking "what are your strengths and weaknesses they ask "what would your friends say is the best thing about you and what drives them crazy about you?"

Interview Questions

• If you could describe your work and leadership style in the form of an animal, what animal would you be?   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I had two interviews-- both were panel. The initial interview didn't seem well-organized; they had only a few questions for me and I would have been out in 15 minutes if I hadn't turned the interview around by asking questions and starting a dialogue between all of us. I received a call back the next day and interviewed again the next week. I was asked to prepare a 5 minute presentation on any subject. The second interview was more formal and included higher ups in the administration. I think it was down to two of us, but I didn't get the offer. The people at the school were very nice and professional, but the group interview feels impersonal. I'd suggest preparing a few questions in advance because they didn't have very many prepared either time.

Interview Questions

• Give me your five minute pitch about the school and imagine you're talking to a disinterested 17 year old.   Answer Question

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at New School in February 2013.

Interview

Very simple process. I talked with the chair on the phone for 20 minutes after my CV was passed on to her. She at this time was very nice and we had a fine conversation. She tasked me with drawing up a few possible course descriptions, so if you're interviewing here, it would be a good idea to have this on hand. I was hired on the spot, and was given two semesters' worth of teaching.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any. Perhaps if they weren't so in need of instructors, they would have asked me more challenging questions. I would advise just to have your pedagogical methodology in order, be able to outline your strengths and research interests, and it would also help to mention the value of assessment and social justice. They're very big on those ideas.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary for position was set.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the chair of the department over the summer. He discussed the department at length and his ideas for the future of the department, the direction he wanted to take it in, and what he was looking for in new instructors. We discussed my classroom experiences at length, challenges and strengths, and general issues in academia/classroom settings. It was a great interview. He offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you struggled in the classroom and had to re-see yourself and your teaching in order to reach your students.   Answer Question

Adjunct Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New School (New York, NY).

Interview

Depending on the program, it can be excellent.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - Union salaries for adjuncts.