Niantic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Niantic.

Interview

Initial informational interview to learn about opportunities, followed up by technical and on-site. The initial interview was great, although it did reveal that my skills weren't the best match for the company. I'm more on the design/data side, but they definitely seem to need people with more technical skills (most of the positions were more technical). I think if you have a solid engineering background but also want to learn on the job and expand beyond it, this is a good fit for you.

Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Niantic (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from a recruiter within a few days to schedule a Hangout with the hiring manager. I did a phone screen, technical project, onsite, and video interview with an exec. The process took a few weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Niantic (Berkeley, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

There is one technical phone interview and then one-day on-site interview. I got the phone interview by employee referral. The technical phone interview took about one hour and asked two questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a 7-column keyboard sorted in alphabetic order. There is a cursor on the keyboard, and you can move it 1 unit to left/right/up/down. The input is a word, you need to design an algorithm to give movements of cursor to type this word.   3 Answers
    • Given a collection of numbers, it has two functions: insert() and getMedian(). Choose a data structure to construct this collection and design the insert() and getMedian() function. Explain the time complexity of each function.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Niantic (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter planning a phone shared doc technical. This interview felt fair as I was able to focus on my stronger areas of software development since I was allowed to choose a front end search problem, or a backend graph problem. The question was straight forward and I was able to answer with some sudo code. I was also asked another question within the time period which i answered. We then discussed the work they were doing and I was asked some questions about my technical hobbies.

The in person interviews were 2 technical for 45min and one 30 min lunch. The questions weren't inherently difficult but definitely focused on your algorithmic and analytical abilities to analyze problems from different angles.

The two in person interviewers were kinda standoffish but i assume that is a front as from other employees in the office spoke highly of them.

Interview Questions

• algorithms and data structures focusing on stack, LL, queues, arrays, strings, math   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Niantic (New York, NY).

Interview

A recruiter from Niantic reached out to me on LinkedIn. I was scheduled to do a phone screen with an engineer from their San Francisco office. The interviewer was punctual, polite, patient and answered all my questions about Niantic very precisely.

After introductions were made, I was asked about my background and presented with two "technical" questions.

One question was pure math (Statistics / Probabilities) : it required calculating Cumulatitive Probabilities of a specific mechanic of one of Niantic's game. Begore I could say anything, the interviewer eagerly explained that probabilities are important at Niantic because they help keep the game balanced. This felt as if the interviewer anticipated pushback and tried to justify asking this question preemptively.

The other question was slightly closer to computer science and is an exercise in which one is given a set of integers (the interviewer starts with 3 and asks not to generalize at first) and must select one matching certain conditions. It is required to perform this operation without using any of the language standard library functions, causing the solution to become a laundry list of "if"s. I was offered to choose the language in which to write code.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the probability of a player to successfully attain a certain in-game goal after N tries knowing the probability of one attempt. The statistic variable is independent so cumulative probabilities can be used   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Niantic.

Interview

Had a positive interview experience. Was asked by Niantic to complete a Py (online coding platform) quiz. It was a fairly easy string based coding question that you could do in any language of your choice.

Interview Questions

• Add minimum parentheses to the front or back of the string to ensure that the entire thing is nested.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Niantic.

Interview

Interviewer with bad english, hardly got the problem description, can't communicate with him.
    start with a simple question to a follow-up question, no hint from interviewer.
    After this I ask two questions.

Guess no next step

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Niantic in January 2019.

Interview

The phone interview was quite smooth and decent. My HR was very helpful and explained in detail about the process. The interviewer checked my resume and saved some time in asking questions about experiences. Then he asked 2 technical questions. Got passed to next step.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online. After about two weeks an HR contacted me to have a talk. However, a few days after I replied, I received a reject email without talking to HR.

Social Media Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Niantic in June 2017.

Interview

The woman I spoke with in Niantic staffing was cheerful, approachable and gave a detailed description of a day in the life while working at Niantic. She was accessible by email and prompt in her replies. She conveyed the optimistic energy buzz at Niantic's offices and was genuinely excited by their work.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Niantic (San Francisco, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

I came in pre-vetted by a third party, which allowed me to skip some of the initial steps. I interviewed at their SF office (which has a gorgeous view of the Bay, BTW) for a machine learning role.

People were friendly and I was impressed by how seamless remote meetings with people from other offices were. I'm glad to see Niantic embracing inter-office mobility, since I actually preferred the location of a different office and it wasn't a problem with them.

The interview process itself consisted of a few 1 hour technical and nontechnical talks with supervisors and senior engineers from the team I'd be interviewing with. I was interviewing for a role on the machine learning side of the engineering team, so many of my questions were ML challenges. These were easy to moderate challenges, involving some basic stat knowledge and a few simple classifiers (no deep learning or computer vision challenges). One question required me to recall Bayes' theorem from memory (which I was thankfully still able to do), when it probably would have been more reflective of a real world work environment to allow me to look up whatever I was hazy on and test me on the use of it.

They notified me that the interview went very well, and the next step would be (nontechnical) chats with the CTO and CEO. Both are pretty busy people, so these took a few days to schedule. I really enjoyed these; their execs have a compelling vision and they were able to pitch it very effectively.

I was told I'd be getting an offer, but at this point the process stalled for a couple of weeks. It came in just as I was about to accept an exploding offer from another company, and was extremely competitive. The sales pitch on the offer was straightforward and low-pressure, which I appreciated. The offer was contingent on three reference checks and a background check, but these thankfully weren't an issue so much as an additional delay.

I think they have opportunities to streamline the offer process, but overall I'm very positive on the company!

Interview Questions

• Using player data, how would you decide where to place Pokestops in Pokemon Go?   Answer Question