Northeastern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had three phone interviews, including a video group interview, and a follow up, but something did not feel right. I was receiving mixed messages about the role, expectations, and culture. Withdrew after having more doubts than my gut let me move forward with.

Interview Questions

• Communication and leadership style, change management, vision, management   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, Onsite interview, call back. The screening process was tough they made sure you knew your stuff. Make sure you are well prepared for both the phone interview and the in person interview

Interview Questions

• Know things around working with Hispanic population   1 Answer

Circulation Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online by selecting and submitting my resume. I received an e-mail that asked me to come to the Snell Library. I went and met up with one of the supervisors who asked me very few questions then welcomed me aboard.

IT Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

There will be two rounds.
    First will be a telephonic round which usually consists of 30 questions related to windows and Mac OS basic troubleshooting.
    The second round is an in-person interview which also consists of basic Network or OS related troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• In case of windows, mostly of the questions are related to control panel.
      While in case of Mac, system preferences related questions are asked.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Recruiter called for an initial phone interview

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Took roughly two hours (went over on time), three interviewers. I went form room to room speaking with each of them. A lot of re-iteration of questions and back story however, everyone was pleasant. The campus is quite large, I had to double check that I was in the correct building because so many of them are connected.

Interview Questions

• General tell me about yourself, walk through he resume, knowledge of higher education.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Northeastern University in July 2018.

Interview

Be careful about doing unpaid work for them as part of the interview process...
    Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter several weeks later. Had a phone interview that seemed promising and then was asked to complete a "project" to assess my skills. After several hours of work on the project, I submitted it on time and never got any response. After following up with the recruiter, I learned the position is "on hold" indefinitely and they won't be filling it anytime soon. I wasn't too happy to have completed several hours of unpaid work for a position that was apparently not actually going to be filled.
    The recruiter I worked with was very professional, but the hiring manager/department was not.

Interview Questions

• General questions about experience with the tasks listed in the job description   Answer Question

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied in May of 2016, got an email mid June from a person in that office asking to schedule a phone interview for the following week. After the phone interview I was asked to come in for a group interview two weeks later. The interview went great in my eyes, really hit it off with the staff and upper management.
    Didn't hear from them for over two weeks. Finally I sent an email after almost three weeks asking what their timeline was for filling the position. Hiring manager told me they were going with someone else.
    It is the summer so people were probably on vacation. Worked out for the best though, got an offer from another University in Boston.

Interview Questions

• What do you contribute to the team?
      Why do you want to join the NU team?
      What is your work ethic like
      What work environment best suits your needs   Answer Question

Admissions Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in March 2013.

Interview

Quick initial phone screen followed a week later by a 1/2 day of in-person interviews on campus. Lots of group/panel interviews to the point it was excessive and involved employees who did not work in the same department and who had little to do with the job (and had no supervisory role over the position). Some members on panels did not appear to interview people often and asked inappropriate questions...which means the interviewee has to come up with diplomatic non-responses. Some panel members are were on their smartphones during the interview and not paying much attention. Received verbal and written offer within two weeks after interview after references were checked and background check conducted.

Total time from application-to-offer was about three months. Human Resources played a very minimal role, but this depends a lot on how hands-on the hiring manager is about hiring.

While internal candidates do have an advantage, it is definitely still possible to get an interview and even an offer at Northeastern simply by applying online, even if you do not know anyone at Northeastern. Of Boston-area universities, Northeastern would count as one of institutions that does less internal hiring and promotion.

Interview Questions

• Aside from the handful of inappropriate questions, most questions were a mix of experience-based and behavioral   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's little room for negotiation, but starting salary can vary within the confines of your pay grade depending on your hiring manager.

Admissions Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northeastern University in April 2015.

Interview

Received an automated appointment plus scheduler to set up a phone interview, which took approx. 30-40 minutes and was told they were going to contact me to meet the team. Second interview was with the staff from around the country and there was a small presentation (which they did not seem like they were sure they knew what they wanted).

Was told I was a great fit and they would love me to join their team.

Got the rejection two days later as a reply to a previous email they sent me.. not a fresh email. Seemed like a canned response.