O'Reilly Auto Parts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at O'Reilly Auto Parts

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Interview

Applied online through career website. Called a week after applying, asked a few screening questions before getting invited for interview. Interview was set up for a few days after. Fast process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The format:

1. Did a HackerRank challenge (should have known right then and there to stay away) with some silly objectives to test cleverness. Not real world stuff, but I enjoyed it.

2. Got a call to do a video Interview a week later.

3. Interview commenced with a few people. 1 standard beardy dude asking syntax questions on front end, a regular guy asking me syntax about Java, and a young lady asking me standard stuff on relational databases. These were basic questions. Nothing high level, nothing engaging. Basically a PFT for idiot web devs. I felt pretty dumb after answering them.

Summary: The interview was unremarkable in so many ways. Instead of reading my resume and trying to understand what exactly I could offer, they are running you through a standard battery of entry level questions. I was caught off guard for sure, but was more offended than anything (hey, I'm a millennial). Here I am, the day before preparing up all my past work, ready to showcase my CI/CD skills, my implementations of SOLID principles, my philosophies on unit and integration testing, ready to talk about my understanding of software architecture paradigms that have worked well (and poorly) in my past, etc.. Then I get hit with "what does a double equals vs single equals mean" and "how would you select the :last-child" or "what does the dom "structure" (it's a tree) look like"? Don't get me wrong, these are important concepts. But if I need to select the last child of anything, I'll figure it out in about 8 words and 2 mouse clicks. If I need to reinvent the next great dom parser, I'll study up on xpath. The interviewers seem to be looking for keywords in your responses instead of trying to dig into your experience. My guess is that they've had a lot of bad devs in the past.

Overall: I wasn't impressed. I've got over ten years of professional software development under my belt across a very wide domain of high availability, big data implementations. I'm sure I would have hated this job if there were to be an offer that I accepted. The job really only seemed lucrative because it was advertised as fully remote.

Note to recruiters: I've interviewed and hired multiple devs on my own team. I don't ask syntax. I ask questions to bring out a candidate's knowledge and experience, organically. You guys are being lazy. O'reily's seems to be canvasing for devs. This might work for entry and mid level (or desperate people) but you're not going to retain any real, talented, "senior" devs this way.

Interview Questions

• What are the disadvantages of using css files as opposed to inline styles?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle formatting a page for printing?   2 Answers
    • What does "final" mean in Java?   1 Answer

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Reilly, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts (O'Reilly, MS) in March 2020.

Interview

I just applied for the job yesterday so I'm waiting to hopefully get a call back real soon! I've got plenty of driving and delivery experience, as and also I know a good bit about vehicle parts.

Interview Questions

• Type of driving experience and parts experience   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts in January 2020.

Interview

Initially applied through a posting for a remote position on stackoverflow. The whole process took about 2 weeks and was relatively straight forward. Was immediately hit with a hackerrank link and almost wrote them off because of bad experiences with these tests in the past. I asked for clarification on what was expected and the recruiter said the test would cover some basic iteration, data structure and string manipulation questions so I decided to go with it. I did real well here actually and felt real confident going into the rest of the process. You're not meant to complete the entire test. Based on what the recruiter told me: their cutoff is around a score of 40, the average is about a 55 and I got somewhere in the 80s to put things into perspective. Which made this next part all the more confusing...

The next step was an interview with a panel on some backend, frontend and Java "trivia" for lack of a better term. Apparently this portion is weighted super heavily. Got tripped on some of the SQL and JS questions a few times as most of my background comes from Java. Still feel like I did good on at least 3/4's of the questions and crushed the Java portion with the exception of some threading related questions. Apparently this was enough to no longer qualify as a senior engineer and this is where the process came to an end.

My take away for those coming for interview prep: I have a fair amount of Angular experience at this point but expect a bunch of questions on the intricacies of var. I guess memorize CSS pseudo selectors. Seems kind of silly to me but I guess it's hard to come up with good CSS questions in general. The Java and SQL questions are pretty standard. Most if not all of the answers are one "common X interview questions" search away.

I think the bigger issue here was salary requirements. I get that it's fully remote and they're based way out in MO but I'm also currently fully remote in a fairly low cost of living area. They made it very clear they weren't even going to try and beat any "DC salary". I get not throwing six figures at new grads since it's not the bay area but that's not exactly a ridiculous salary for talent with 10 years of experience. Overall I had high hopes for this company but it seems it's the same story with almost every other company out there hiring remote devs. They want top tier talent while paying bottom tier salaries. This isn't intended as a dig at them but it is what it is and it's pretty much the standard for any company whose main product isn't tech.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Interview

Fisrt apply online, wait till they email you or contact you. Sent up meeting with the store manager, then set up meeting with the district manager. Answer a few questions, talk with the store manager about benefits and other things like pay and commission.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Supervisor Network Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Branson, MO

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts (Branson, MO) in January 2020.

Interview

Expect a series of interviews, In my situation there were 7 interviews with team members across many levels from Network Engineer to CIO.

Before you go in ask for the position description you will be interviewing for, in my situation the role changed 2 times that I was aware of, there was a third consideration I was not aware of until later and all of this led to some confusion. The interviewers knew what they were looking for but I could sense some level of indecision as I was talking about the role we had initially discussed and the interviewers were looking to fill a completely different role.

Interview Questions

• What gets you truly excited? What would your dream role be?   Answer Question
    • What type of projects and tasks do you prefer?   Answer Question
    • Are you certain this is the right position for you? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Corporate Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts (Springfield, MO).

Interview

Began my process at a Job Fair held a few months prior. Very basic questions that lasted about 30 minutes. I then received a phone screening and then a second interview with the department.

Was very seamless of a process with all of my comments and concerns addressed promptly.

Only negative is that it took 2+ months for everything to be said and done.

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponchatoula, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts (Ponchatoula, LA) in September 2019.

Interview

Simple questions and fast process. Extremely nice person done the interview. Asked about my experience with auto mechanic work and sells also customer service. Very prompt response time as far as returning my phone call.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Interview

Phone screen then interview with HR then 60 minute code test then hour long rapid fire technical questions from 3 developers that asked mostly pointless knowledge questions no one outside of Comp Sci 101 remembers.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Interview

Brief, and not very thorough. It was great as far as not needing not need to speak much if you a nervous fellow. Overall it was quick, and pretty straightforward

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have with cars   1 Answer