O'Reilly Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 10, 2017

2.9

Temporary Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a video chat interview with Emma that went very well! She was very thorough and kind all at the same time! Very positive feeling! Thank you again Emma!

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

VERY POOR MANNERS!

Applied online and was contacted by HR to set up an in-office meeting. The meeting went very well, and it carried over from the scheduled time. I felt I connected with people I met, and felt good about how everything went. The next week I was again contacted by HR to set up a Skype interview with a PM abroad. This interview went badly--he showed little emotion and seemed to want to be elsewhere. The worst part of the interview process was the followup, which was non-existent. Despite sending several emails to both HR and my possible boss, all went unanswered until a week later, when I received a computer-generated email informing me that my background wasn't a good fit. I figured they would have the courtesy to email me directly, considering how much time I spent with them. But I guess not.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience, what do you like about our products   Answer Question

Production Editor Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media.

Interview

I was reached out to for an initial phone interview and indicated several options during which I was available. No time was confirmed and I didn't hear back for nearly a week. During work one day the next week, I received a call, voicemail, and email noting that the HR rep had tried to conduct the phone interview. I emailed back explaining that I had been at work, and said I was available during an additional time option the next day that she had offered. No confirmation. I waited by the phone for 30 mins after that offered time, but received no call.

The HR rep seemed to expect that I would drop everything for the call, when if she had simply scheduled the interview I would have set the time aside no problem. This was quite disrespectful of my time and reflects poorly on the company itself. Received a notice today that my qualifications did not fit positions they have available, and yet I saw the position reposted on job boards.

Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty average. I got an email response to schedule a phone interview, which went well. Then I was scheduled for an in person interview, which lasted 2-2 1/2 hours. First, I met with the Senior Marketing Manager, the Marketing Director (who joined via Google Hangout) and the Recruiting Manager. Then they left and brought in the 2 current Partner Managers (one who joined via Google Hangout, as well) and they were both very easy to talk to about the position. After the interview, I felt really good about it; I felt like I answered all of their questions completely, and we had really good, detailed conversations about the position.

Since I have been very actively looking for work, I was offered another position about a week later and I really wanted to hear back from O'Reilly Media before making a decision (and the Recruiting Manager asked me if I was going on other interviews and I wanted to be very transparent). I reached out via email, and didn't hear anything until the end of the following day - and it was a very strange response. I received a templated email that said they didn't have any positions that fit my qualifications. Um, I did just interview there, so I know I fell under "has qualifications" for this position. I responded and asked for additional information because I thought it had gone well and would just like some feedback so I can learn from the experience. The Recruiting Manager stated that the Partner Managers gave me rave reviews and a lot of positive feedback but ultimately, the marketing department felt my partner development experience wasn't adequate enough.

You would think that if the people who are in this same position and that you would be working with wanted to hire you, they would pay attention to that. Oh well!

Interview Questions

• How would you grow our current partner groups?   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a bit bizarre. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter the day after applying through their Jobvite board. Immediately after the phone screen the in-house recruiter asked if I can do a Google hang out the next day with a panel of marketing managers. The hangout was scheduled for just 30 mins and was cut short due to another meeting they had right after. I was then invited in for an in person meeting at their Sebastopol Ca office where again 3 marketing managers sat in a room unprepared to interview me. One asked if theyve seen my resume...? The interview was off to a slow start as they did not seem to have a lot of questions ready to ask me. So I swayed the conversation more towards understanding what they needed in their next hire and what every day work life would be like at O'Reilly. This was when one of the managers started talking about how poor the office morale was and how unfriendly other team members were. I believe she called them "cry babies and that some people just need to stop whining" Im not sure if the others sitting in the room agreed, but they did laugh. I left the interview really disinterested in the role. They were nice, but seemed extremely unprofessional. A week later I got another email asking if I can meet additional members of the team. I was not sure as i was already far in with other interviews but decided to give it another try as O'Reilly has a reputable name and I was interested in the practice area they were hiring for. I then met with two directors. They seemed smart, in tuned with industry challenges, gave me their thoughts on what was needed in their next hire. We even talked about what the future roadmap looks like for O'Reilly. I felt excited about the position again. I was confident after the meeting and believed the interviews went well. However, I did not hear back for about 2 weeks and received other offers during the wait. When i reached out to the recruiter to let her know, she emailed back and said that they were looking for someone to drive attendees to events and did not think my strategy was strong enough. Completely BIZARRE. None of the conversations I had focused on event attendance and was never asked about strategy on how to drive attendees...Although O'Reilly is a reputable brand, I do believe its a bit outdated. I was wary going into the interview and after this experience I think going with your gut is always better than just going with the flow. I now have a better understanding of how their in house works....and until a few things change I would not recommend working for this company.

Interview Questions

• Very general--tell us a little about yourself--why O'Reilly--what was the most challenging thing about your last role.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent CV and resume. Had a phone interview which was pretty casual. I was asked if I had experience, how much I know about the company, and if the role would be creative enough for me. I also got to ask a couple questions.

Then had an interview with a designer and the creative director. It was also casual. I was asked a few questions like: what software am I proficient in and do I have experience that directly relates to the job. I also got to show my portfolio.

They also showed me the type of work that the role entailed.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in designing signage for conferences?   1 Answer

Director of Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was with the recruiting manager After after 5 minutes she said that she thought that I was not the best fit after getting a feel for my experience. She said they were looking for someone more technical with a computer science degree. I have a CS degree and am a full stack developer. It seemed that that she did not have my resume or had no technical knowledge to understand it. We continued the interview but it was clear she had decided to pass on me and kept trying to find things that I did not do. In the end she stated that I was not a fit as I had not worked for a large corporation even though the job description specifically asked for start up experience.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a foundation in Computer Science and programming?   1 Answer

O'Reilly Media Response

Jun 1, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for posting the review. It's always great to hear feedback from potential candidates. Having reviewed resumes, there is then an initial phone interview with me, the Recruiting Manager... More

Systems Administrator, Linux Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews and one onsite. The onsite, the manager and three sys admins asked questions round robin. Lots of bash and apache questions. They explained their piece of the organization.

Interview Questions

• Final question, you are driving a truck an inch taller than the overpass and get stuck, how would you get out.   1 Answer

Copywriter Interview

Interview

I was contacted by email in response to my cover letter/resume, which I submitted when a friend sent me a copy of the posted opening. I was interviewed by an HR person over the phone for a half an hour and I passed that screening. The HR person was professional and pleasant and the job sounded great. I was then asked to interview in person with the hiring manager. It was just the two of us. We talked for 90 minutes and I thought the interview went great. I had done a lot of research on the company and spent time on their web site viewing video content, so I was prepared. I liked the manager quite a bit. I could definitely see myself working well with the manager.

Interview Questions

• The HR person asked me to account for a two-year gap in my work history that happened fifteen years ago.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media.

Interview

The hiring process was very fast and positive. It included a series of three interviews. The first was a phone interview with the hiring recruiter who asked about my skills and qualification. The second interview included a panel of all Marketing Managers. Each person participated in asking very targeted and direct questions. My third interview was with another Marketing Manager - who as well asked great questions and was very open to answer my many questions about the company and team.