O'Reilly Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at O'Reilly Media

2.9

Sort:

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media in September 2012.

Interview

Totally disorganized hiring process. First interview was a panel (surprise!) that they purposely sprung on me to test my public speaking skills. I didn't hear from them for a month and then was called back in to meet one of the higher ups. Another few weeks went by and the panel wanted to meet me again because a couple months passed and they'd obviously forgotten what we discussed in our first interview. At this point I'd found another position and declined. They seem to do everything by committee which was a big warning sign.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember anything being that challenging. Standard questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media.

Interview

A few technical questions but mostly personal questions such as why I applied for such and such position. Mostly comfortable interview process just like any other software engineer interviews. It was the first technical interview for me so I can't really say much about it.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Brief conversation with H.R. Director followed by a phone call with staffing agency.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

H.R. Director told me the pay, asked if it was OK, and I accepted.

Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Cambridge, MA) in July 2007.

Interview

My initial communication was a phone interview with the hiring manager. From there, we had a 1 on 1 interview in which he asked questions about my previous experience and some "personality" questions. One questions was "If you consider two ways of writing code, one where you plan out the entire architecture and one where you just start writing and plan as you go, where would you rank yourself on that continuum?"

The office culture was clearly closed and not friendly; noone noticed me walking in. I wasn't offered coffe or water; I wasn't greeted by anyone but the hiring manager. The interview ended at 12:30 pm and I wasn't offered lunch.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you consider yourself "blocked" on a project?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Somewhat; the salary offer was very low and the benefits are poor. I was able to negotiate 10% increase in salary and no increase in benefits.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a bit bizarre. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter the day after applying through their Jobvite board. Immediately after the phone screen the in-house recruiter asked if I can do a Google hang out the next day with a panel of marketing managers. The hangout was scheduled for just 30 mins and was cut short due to another meeting they had right after. I was then invited in for an in person meeting at their Sebastopol Ca office where again 3 marketing managers sat in a room unprepared to interview me. One asked if theyve seen my resume...? The interview was off to a slow start as they did not seem to have a lot of questions ready to ask me. So I swayed the conversation more towards understanding what they needed in their next hire and what every day work life would be like at O'Reilly. This was when one of the managers started talking about how poor the office morale was and how unfriendly other team members were. I believe she called them "cry babies and that some people just need to stop whining" Im not sure if the others sitting in the room agreed, but they did laugh. I left the interview really disinterested in the role. They were nice, but seemed extremely unprofessional. A week later I got another email asking if I can meet additional members of the team. I was not sure as i was already far in with other interviews but decided to give it another try as O'Reilly has a reputable name and I was interested in the practice area they were hiring for. I then met with two directors. They seemed smart, in tuned with industry challenges, gave me their thoughts on what was needed in their next hire. We even talked about what the future roadmap looks like for O'Reilly. I felt excited about the position again. I was confident after the meeting and believed the interviews went well. However, I did not hear back for about 2 weeks and received other offers during the wait. When i reached out to the recruiter to let her know, she emailed back and said that they were looking for someone to drive attendees to events and did not think my strategy was strong enough. Completely BIZARRE. None of the conversations I had focused on event attendance and was never asked about strategy on how to drive attendees...Although O'Reilly is a reputable brand, I do believe its a bit outdated. I was wary going into the interview and after this experience I think going with your gut is always better than just going with the flow. I now have a better understanding of how their in house works....and until a few things change I would not recommend working for this company.

Interview Questions

• Very general--tell us a little about yourself--why O'Reilly--what was the most challenging thing about your last role.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent CV and resume. Had a phone interview which was pretty casual. I was asked if I had experience, how much I know about the company, and if the role would be creative enough for me. I also got to ask a couple questions.

Then had an interview with a designer and the creative director. It was also casual. I was asked a few questions like: what software am I proficient in and do I have experience that directly relates to the job. I also got to show my portfolio.

They also showed me the type of work that the role entailed.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in designing signage for conferences?   1 Answer

Director of Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was with the recruiting manager After after 5 minutes she said that she thought that I was not the best fit after getting a feel for my experience. She said they were looking for someone more technical with a computer science degree. I have a CS degree and am a full stack developer. It seemed that that she did not have my resume or had no technical knowledge to understand it. We continued the interview but it was clear she had decided to pass on me and kept trying to find things that I did not do. In the end she stated that I was not a fit as I had not worked for a large corporation even though the job description specifically asked for start up experience.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a foundation in Computer Science and programming?   1 Answer

O'Reilly Media Response

Jun 1, 2015 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for posting the review. It's always great to hear feedback from potential candidates. Having reviewed resumes, there is then an initial phone interview with me, the Recruiting Manager... More

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media.

Interview

Basic questions nothing to out of the ordinary. The role seemed to be equally focused around data than financial planning. Company seems to have a great culture where they really want young staff to grow.

Interview Questions

• Understanding of Excel, Tableu, other programming languages   Answer Question

Partner Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sebastopol, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media (Sebastopol, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process was pretty average. I got an email response to schedule a phone interview, which went well. Then I was scheduled for an in person interview, which lasted 2-2 1/2 hours. First, I met with the Senior Marketing Manager, the Marketing Director (who joined via Google Hangout) and the Recruiting Manager. Then they left and brought in the 2 current Partner Managers (one who joined via Google Hangout, as well) and they were both very easy to talk to about the position. After the interview, I felt really good about it; I felt like I answered all of their questions completely, and we had really good, detailed conversations about the position.

Since I have been very actively looking for work, I was offered another position about a week later and I really wanted to hear back from O'Reilly Media before making a decision (and the Recruiting Manager asked me if I was going on other interviews and I wanted to be very transparent). I reached out via email, and didn't hear anything until the end of the following day - and it was a very strange response. I received a templated email that said they didn't have any positions that fit my qualifications. Um, I did just interview there, so I know I fell under "has qualifications" for this position. I responded and asked for additional information because I thought it had gone well and would just like some feedback so I can learn from the experience. The Recruiting Manager stated that the Partner Managers gave me rave reviews and a lot of positive feedback but ultimately, the marketing department felt my partner development experience wasn't adequate enough.

You would think that if the people who are in this same position and that you would be working with wanted to hire you, they would pay attention to that. Oh well!

Interview Questions

• How would you grow our current partner groups?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at O'Reilly Media.

Interview

The hiring process was very fast and positive. It included a series of three interviews. The first was a phone interview with the hiring recruiter who asked about my skills and qualification. The second interview included a panel of all Marketing Managers. Each person participated in asking very targeted and direct questions. My third interview was with another Marketing Manager - who as well asked great questions and was very open to answer my many questions about the company and team.