Obsidian Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Obsidian Entertainment Interview Questions

3.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Obsidian Entertainment

Area/Level Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Interview

No calls. Just a very long test. The test required extensive knowledge on their latest game and a strict 5 day deadline to complete. The test required creating a new map, with a scaled drawing, creating new NPCs with full dialogue options, and designing multiple quests with unique items. It took me 5 days to complete and half a day for them to reject me. I never spoke to a single person.

Interview Questions

• Write a conversation between the main character and one of the NPCs you created. Include different dialogue choices.   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was given a tour of the studio and was informed on what the company culture is like and how things there operate. During the interview, I spoke with the directors and QA leads, 3 people in all. We reviewed the pre-interview questions I had been emailed to fill out and reply to prior to the interview. I was asked what I did at my previous jobs. I was also asked how I would handle specific QA testing scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Do you think QA is important to a game before it is released?   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Interview

Was referred to by a friend. My situation was somewhat different in terms of response and setting up the interview. I was given a small coding task that was given a deadline in two days from when I received it. After a week or so, got a call back to schedule an interview. Was asked about my school work, projects on the side, what I know about certain technologies. Overall it was a nice interview, they were really nice and helpful.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment in December 2014.

Interview

Two weeks after applying, received a packet of 50 questions from a recruiter via email. No other contact was made prior. It said to return it as soon as possible completed.

The questions were 1/2 essay based, 1/4 C++ code, 1/4 math. Topics ranged from design, gameplay, networking, to rendering/graphics.

Why so much? Not entirely sure. There was so much to cover, it felt very unreasonable to ask of an individual who had yet to even speak to someone about the company and position. I've never had a company ask something so unreasonable in length with no clear direction. It expected the individual to be a master in all subjects it seemed like. The questions about rendering, for example, were extremely specific about detailing and comparing various shadow techniques. And then, the networking questions that followed, asked to design and diagram an ENTIRE back-end for players to connect to and interact accompanied by detail.

Code questions were much simpler. Such as design and implement a circular buffer.

It took about an entire day to completely flesh out everything, and by the time I had gotten up to some of the math after doing most of the essay and code questions, I didn't care much. It was like unpaid work for someone I didn't even get to know by that point. I'd have put way more effort into more of the questions if the test was more concise, instead of a figurative dartboard to throw at.

And of course, 3 weeks later after submitted, I finally got a response saying they decided to move on on "other candidates" and provided ZERO feedback for the 50 questions they requested. That's fine by me.

Interview Questions

• design and diagram a back-end network system for players to connect to and chat together with each other, as well as a login auth system. Label the diagram and explain alternatives, upsides/downsides to this system.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Interview

I talked with producers and then a game designer explained his game. I wanted to critique it as the dialog was pretty stiff, but I kept my mouth shut. I lunched with a dour tech director, who didn't smile once. Then I had a table of programmers interview me. I did well, but got a form letter later. They had huge layoff soon afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is the volatile c++ keyword?   2 Answers

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Informed interviewers, company focused on computer role-playing games (CRPGs), group interviews both on-phone and inperson.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite game that you worked on and why?   Answer Question

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

There was an initial screening process that involved meeting with Feargus Urqhart and Nathaniel Chapman for lunch and being asked if I was happy with my current position. I told them that I was open to considering something new. Once that was passed I had an on-site interview that lasted a full day - with a total of ten team members.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for a certain dollar amount and Feargus Urqhart countered right away and I accepted. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.