Obsidian Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Obsidian Entertainment Interview Questions

Interviews at Obsidian Entertainment

3.2

Senior Environment Artist Interview

Interview

I applied for Sr. Role
    Recruiting email me for Sr.Role
    Lead did a 180 on me and said it was just a art role. Was rude laughed sarcastically at me when I had asked I had applied for the art role and he said well why do you think you deserve it. That comment was very ill mannered for a lead.

Interview Questions

• Do you have 2 weeks to do a test?   1 Answer

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment in December 2014.

Interview

Two weeks after applying, received a packet of 50 questions from a recruiter via email. No other contact was made prior. It said to return it as soon as possible completed.

The questions were 1/2 essay based, 1/4 C++ code, 1/4 math. Topics ranged from design, gameplay, networking, to rendering/graphics.

Why so much? Not entirely sure. There was so much to cover, it felt very unreasonable to ask of an individual who had yet to even speak to someone about the company and position. I've never had a company ask something so unreasonable in length with no clear direction. It expected the individual to be a master in all subjects it seemed like. The questions about rendering, for example, were extremely specific about detailing and comparing various shadow techniques. And then, the networking questions that followed, asked to design and diagram an ENTIRE back-end for players to connect to and interact accompanied by detail.

Code questions were much simpler. Such as design and implement a circular buffer.

It took about an entire day to completely flesh out everything, and by the time I had gotten up to some of the math after doing most of the essay and code questions, I didn't care much. It was like unpaid work for someone I didn't even get to know by that point. I'd have put way more effort into more of the questions if the test was more concise, instead of a figurative dartboard to throw at.

And of course, 3 weeks later after submitted, I finally got a response saying they decided to move on on "other candidates" and provided ZERO feedback for the 50 questions they requested. That's fine by me.

Interview Questions

• design and diagram a back-end network system for players to connect to and chat together with each other, as well as a login auth system. Label the diagram and explain alternatives, upsides/downsides to this system.   Answer Question

Sound Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

Obsidian Entertainment has a great HR department. Jason was very informative and thorough throughout the interview process. He helped me feel like he valued me as a prospective employee. Overall the HR at Obsidian Entertainment is very professional and proficient. I was very satisfied with the interview.

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

There was an initial screening process that involved meeting with Feargus Urqhart and Nathaniel Chapman for lunch and being asked if I was happy with my current position. I told them that I was open to considering something new. Once that was passed I had an on-site interview that lasted a full day - with a total of ten team members.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for a certain dollar amount and Feargus Urqhart countered right away and I accepted. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

Was a very fun and brief process.
    It started with two phone interviews. The first being with an HR person. Was asked the standard questions of "Are you an alien?" and all that. One of the nice things of that first phone screen was we briefly went over benefits which I liked because it meant I wasn't wasting my time to have the curtain reveal something unfavorable. The second interview was with the hiring manager which went a little more technical, but was more of a check to make sure it was worth bringing me down to the office. Both of these calls were about 30 minutes.
    The second phase of the interviews was going into the office. It was fun going into the office since the HR person from the phone screen met with me in the lobby and the receptionist was friendly while I filled out NDA paper work.
    The rest of the day consisted of panel interviews with around 3 people per 1 hour session. Most of the beginning interviews were producers asking about pipeline and communication type scenarios. Which felt pretty standard for a producer position. Other disciplines also rotated into the interviews asking mostly culture questions, but also going further into communication between teams. It was also nice that they took me to the spectrum for lunch, which is a big outdoor mall with a lot of restaurants. I also appreciated that a few of the founders of the studio were able to rotate into the interviews. Which felt like they were able to stay in touch with the rest of their studio.
    The atmosphere in the office seemed nice, it was a bit quiet due to everyone having their own or 2 people office. So there wasn't a lot of ambient noise. The decorations and such were also cool in that they celebrated the games the studio has made.
    Overall I'd say the experience was fun. The people conducting the interviews are game industry vets, which always makes things fun when you can relate to them. Seems like a cool place to work.

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Interview

Was referred to by a friend. My situation was somewhat different in terms of response and setting up the interview. I was given a small coding task that was given a deadline in two days from when I received it. After a week or so, got a call back to schedule an interview. Was asked about my school work, projects on the side, what I know about certain technologies. Overall it was a nice interview, they were really nice and helpful.

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Interview

I talked with producers and then a game designer explained his game. I wanted to critique it as the dialog was pretty stiff, but I kept my mouth shut. I lunched with a dour tech director, who didn't smile once. Then I had a table of programmers interview me. I did well, but got a form letter later. They had huge layoff soon afterwards.

Interview Questions

• What is the volatile c++ keyword?   2 Answers

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Resume and cover letter sent, received a fun test to complete, based on results I got invited for an interview, had a tour of studio, had interview, got a call 2 weeks after saying if I am still interested and that I am hired. First day gave me paper work, set up my work station, did some light training... Overall the process was easy, and fun.

Interview Questions

• How do you make a pb n j sandwich?   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

The process took roughly under a month, and involved several phone interviews and a in-person interview. The people I spoke with were exceptionally friendly and correspondence was timely. The interviews themselves were like any other, and pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Describe what your position does day-to-day, and also on a larger scale.   Answer Question
    • In a previous job what are some criticisms you've had, and how did you handle them?   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Obsidian Entertainment (Irvine, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Informed interviewers, company focused on computer role-playing games (CRPGs), group interviews both on-phone and inperson.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite game that you worked on and why?   Answer Question