PLAYSTUDIOS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at PLAYSTUDIOS

2.8

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

- Apply to company career websites or referral by friends or old coworkers
    - Phone interviews with recruiters and hiring managers
    - Skill testingin limited time
    - On-site interviews with hiring managers and executives
    - Salary negotiation with employment manager

Technical Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Burlingame, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got a response next day for a phone screen. A few days after the phone screen, a phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled, it was great talking to them, very comfortable. A few weeks after that, a video interview involving 3 meetings was scheduled with the team and the offer came a few days after that.

Interview Questions

• Strengths, personality questions, project based questions.   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Burlingame, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Sent in an e-mail to the project lead, since I knew someone that works there, and heard back within a week. They were very busy so kept on pushing back the interview. When the interview came, I was just asked about projects I've worked on, problems I overcame with those projects and where I wanted to be in 10 years. After the interview we planned to schedule a test. The day of the test came and no reply. So I sent in some more e-mails and only replied after I called him. In the end by the time I got in contact again they weren't looking for anymore Front End Developers.

Interview Questions

• They asked about projects I've worked on and issues I had to overcome. Make sure to go over all your projects again so you can talk about them in detail.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Burlingame, CA).

Interview

- Disorganized, unprofessional postponing and rescheduling of several telephone interviews with various team members.
    - Project lead sounded like a high functioning cocaine addict with impossibly ambitious game releases cycles.
    - It sounded like they had a lot of technical debt and were unsure of how to move forward.
    - Suddenly became unreachable after announcing that we would be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were mostly conversations about code, languages, design patterns, favorite IDEs, etc., with a few rudimentary questions about ActionScript 3 that any reasonably experienced Flash developer would be able to answer.   Answer Question

Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Burlingame, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Got a phone screen with a recruiter after an employee referral. Afterwards, interviewed over the phone with three engineers on the team I was applying for; it was very casual and I felt invited to join in on their conversation about their current technology and what gaps they needed to fill on their expanding team. Then a (pretty large) coding challenge that took several days to complete, but wasn't unreasonable, and after that an onsite interview. The recruiter I interfaced with during the process was very responsive and helpful.

The onsite interview was fantastic, I wish more tech companies interviewed like they do. It consisted of 5 30-minute back-to-back interview sessions with 2-3 staff members of various disciplines (mostly engineers). They didn't bother with the usual/rather useless whiteboard coding challenges, instead each interview session was very behavioral in nature and gave great insight into the company culture and the team's main products. It was clear they wanted to get to know me as a person, and that it was a great fit on both sides (probably helps that I had a ton of prior relevant domain/tech experience at my previous job). Prior to the first interview session, a staff member voluntarily gave me a tour of the office. They made me feel at home, and gave me time to ask any questions I needed so long as each session wasn't running too far over time. One thing I'm glad I did prior to the interview was some homework on the company's products and each person I was to interview with that day.

Got an offer letter several days later directly from the company's VP of Engineering. Several staff members at Burlingame reached out to me that same day to answer any questions I had with initial onboarding. Overall an outstanding interview experience from the start, and easily the best onsite interview I've ever had my entire career.

Interview Questions

• I was mostly asked questions about my previous work experiences: what my typical work setup & tasks were, what technology I've used before (and what I liked/didn't like about it), who I worked with, what I took the lead on, etc. A few specific behavioral questions (hobbies/spare time activities, why do you want to work at PLAYSTUDIOS, etc.) and maybe 1-2 specific technical 'discussion' questions. Otherwise, they mostly piggybacked any questions they had off of the conversations that were going during each interview session. Knowing their technology/products ahead of time is important, since they talk a lot about them while interviewing you and being able to contribute to those conversations is good. Be prepared to talk extensively about yourself and your prior experiences, and know what's on your resume because they study/take notes on it before interviewing you.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

Quickly responded to my application.

Within a week, I had a couple of phone interviews, followed shortly thereafter by an in-person interview at the studio.

The interview process took a few hours and I had a chance to speak with a wide variety of team members. It was thorough, but very pleasant. More like a long-form conversation than an interview.

The team was extremely interested in making sure I understood them, their needs, the background and processes the company uses, etc. I probably wound up having more of MY questions answered than I answered on my own.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a number of process-related questions, but not in a "gotcha" manner. They were very interested in hearing my thoughts on possible solutions to their challenges.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS in July 2013.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, spoke to him once or twice. Then phone interview with someone from the company. Then another phone interview with another person in the company followed by an on-site few days later. It was really looking good, from the phone interview to the on-site so I was feeling confident. Talked to the same people I spoke on the phone, then they wanted me to talk to another lady who couldn't join us when I can see her just sitting at her desk. Haven't they heard of calendars and booking and clearing their schedule for someone who will be visiting them in their office?? On my way out, one of the interviewers tells me he will contact me by the end of the week for their decision. Anyway, after a drawn out process, these clowns didn't even have the decency to respond with "I'm sorry, we're going another direction" after following up with them when they didn't follow through with contacting me at the end of the week.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (Burlingame, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was really smooth and fast. The hiring manager directly contacted me and had a phone screen. I was invited on-site for a set of five rounds back to back. They are really smart people and enthusiastic about the work they do. The rounds were both technical as well as behavioral. A lot of database, sql, data structures, architecture and big data questions were asked.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS (San Francisco, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

I had 14 interviews for the last 3 months and landed 6 offers. I have experienced many different interview processes but this was so far the worst one.

I applied through zip-recruiter
    A month later executive assistant replied.
    They set the phone interview for a month later,
    Phone interview was smooth and to the point,
    On-site was set for 2 months later,
    Hiring manager didn't show up to the onsite interview,
    Promised an offer letter multiple times by the hiring manager,
    Asked to meet with the COO and the CEO after promised for an offer,
    Had to ask multiple companies to extend their offer deadlines to wait for PS's offer
    No offer in the end =)
    Whole process took 5 months, 4 months after their first reply.

I performed very bad on my session with the CEO and it is fair for them not to give me an offer letter but I have never experienced such bad execution of an interview process, basically it was a pain for everyone. No one seems to know when to do what, no one seems to have the authority to make a call other than the CEO. This company is definitely not a dynamic gaming company.

Do not trust this company until you see an offer letter and read all the reviews about this company in Glassdoor. Get ready for false promises, long wait times and any kind of organizational problems.

Interview Questions

• Product Team:
      What was the most impactful project you led?
      Can you name some platform related limitations for iOS?
      Project Team:
      How do you decide on the issue prioritization? How do you decide on pushing an issue into the development sprint?
      Design:
      How do you make this game more feminine?
      C lvl:
      What are the first things you are going to do when we hire you?
      How do you feel about the games?
      How do you feel about the social experience in the games?   Answer Question

BI Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PLAYSTUDIOS in March 2017.

Interview

It started with a phone interview with the Analytics Manager. Few questions regarding projects, approach. He was more interested in knowing why particular methodology was used. I did pretty well. Phone call lasted about 45 minutes.
    I received a mail asking to come over to office for the next round of interview. I followed​ up with a mail asking for date and time for 6-7 times, 8 weeks after that and I didn't hear back. This to me is worse than getting a reject. Worst interview experience ever. !!

Interview Questions

• Predictive Modeling projects - Why decision trees / Regression approach was used ?   Answer Question
    • Experience in BI and Reporting, describe previous experience related to it.   Answer Question