Palgrave Macmillan Interview Questions

Updated Oct 24, 2019

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Palgrave Macmillan

HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Palgrave Macmillan

Found 15 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United Kingdom
Application

I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (United Kingdom)

Interview

Very poor follow through after interview, had to follow up several times without any response to the first stage of the hiring process. Interviewers nice but questions were very repetitive.

Interview Questions
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years.
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in Feb 2019

Interview

Applied online Process took a few weeks. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with a panel of 2. The interview lasted roughly an hour and included an on-the-spot task. Waited for a few weeks following the interview and found I did not get the job after contacting them for an answer.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in Aug 2017

Interview

Online Application by CV and Covering Letter. Interview was with the manager and another team member. They asked knowledge of the publications, who would use it and etc, and other basic competency questions. After they ask you to complete an editing task which wasnt well explained for 12 minutes

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Employee in London, England
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in Aug 2017

Interview

Met with 2 friendly commissioning editors, asked familiar, standard competency based questions. Talked through relevant experience and asked follow up questions to elaborate further on. Constructive, encouraging approach- I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England)

Interview

The first round was an interview with two commissioning editors. They were friendly and asked standard interview questions, including several "Tell us about a time you" did something in the job description/person specification. The second round involved two tasks to prepare in advance (responding to an author and writing a book blurb) to talk through with the panel. I didn't attend the second round as I had accepted another job offer.

Interview Questions
  • What interests you about this role? Why do you want to work for Palgrave?
Anonymous Employee in United Kingdom
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (United Kingdom)

Interview

First interview was one hour. Competency based questions were used and also a couple of typical interview style questions. Second interview was a little longer and involved meeting head of department and other members of the department.

Interview Questions
  • Can you tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (New York, NY) in Oct 2015

Interview

I applied for the job and heard back within a week. The questions were not too difficult, the interviewers were nice, and then I had to do an exercise in time management. I heard back 20 minutes later that they wanted to see me for a second interview. However, the HR representative did not email or phone me back when I let him know when I could make an interview. I called them and it turns out he was fired, which explains why I did hear back from him. When I asked about my second round interview, they had no idea what I was talking about. They said they would call me back with details about my second round interview and they never did.

Interview Questions
  • Why would you like to work at Palgrave Macmillan? How have you overcome a difficult situation in the past?
Anonymous Employee in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in Aug 2015

Interview

I submitted an online application (email covering letter and CV) and was interviewed in person at the London office twice. The first interview was with two Commissioning Editors, both of whom were looking for an assistant, and then there was a short session with HR. In the second interview, I met the two Commissioning Editors again, along with their line manager (the Publisher), followed by the two Directors of the department, and then another short session with HR. I was given a task to do between the two interviews, analysing a proposal for a new textbook. We discussed the task in my second interview.

Interview Questions
  • How would you define resilience? Do you think you're born with it or that you learn it?
  • TASK: I was given a list of things that I might have to do in a typical day, and asked to put them in order of how I would tackle them, explaining my reasoning as I went.
  • What interests you about working on this particular topic/list?
  • Tell us about a time when you made a mistake, and how you dealt with it.
  • Tell us about a time when you had to use your initiative.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in May 2015

Interview

Applied online, and was asked to an interview about two weeks later. They asked pretty typical interview questions, but instead of the usual "3 examples" questions, they were asking for 4 or 5. Many of the questions were competency based , and they explicitly said that I should give my answers using a situation, task, action, result format. My feedback said they wanted more speculative knowledge, and wanted my answers to go more in depth.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Palgrave Macmillan (London, England) in Sep 2014

Interview

Applied online for an EA role on two academic lists; the whole process took 4+ weeks. The first round was a Skype interview with the two senior staff who would be managing the role, and consisted mainly of competency-based questions. They were very friendly and put me at ease. When I passed the first stage I was given an academic proposal to read before the next interview, for which I had to identify three key selling points for the paper and write a blurb. The second round took place approx. 2 weeks later in London with a panel formed of both the senior staff and an HR rep. I had to complete a proofreading test, talk through the proposal task I'd been set, and then complete a further interview. I was told 6 candidates made it to the final stage of around 100.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work in academic publishing?
  • Describe a time you've faced a challenge at work, and how you dealt with it.
  • How would you balance working for two senior staff?
  • How have you managed a difficult workload in the past?
  • Describe a time you've had to handle a stressful situation and how you achieved it.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 15