Paylocity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Paylocity Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity (Lake Mary, FL) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through Indeed.com
    Next day got a email requesting skills test. You have 48 hours to take the test.
    Test is timed. It has 4 parts (math, definitions, grammar and detail oriented)
    You have 23 minutes total to complete. It was not hard in my opinion.

After a couple days I received an email requesting a 20 minute phone interview.
    I was given three time slots to choose from.
    I had the pleasure of speaking with Kalyn. The phone interview was like a natural conversation with a few behavioral interview questions.
    I was then offered a face to face interview with a TL and a Manager. Again I was given three time slots to choose from. Kalyn advised me the interview will be about 1 hour long and will be asked more behavioral questions to be as detailed as possible using the STAR format.
    (This is an interview you should study for.)
    I interviewed with Megan and Kristen. They were both very warm and nice.
    After the interview I was given a tour of the office space. Nice work space. An ideal work environment.
    I interviewed on Thursday and was told I would hear back with answer by Tuesday. I got an email Friday (earlier than anticipated). I did not get the position. I got a basic email stating the candidates were competitive and they will keep my resume on file. I emailed back asking for more details. I appreciate constructive criticism for personal growth. I received an email back repeating the same. It seems they made their mind up about me quickly. More than likely before I left the building. The two who interviewed me explained neither of them came to Paylocity with experience in the industry. This made me feel confident I was a serious consideration.
    Looking back, I would have responded to some questions differently.
    1. Don't Mention "One call resolution". Paylocity does not believe in that. I meant I aim to resolve the current issue with the one call, even going the extra mile. For Paylocity that is not necessary.
    2. Don't mention you "mastered" your last position (Meaning I was a top performer). Again that term did not fit with Paylocity. You will not "master" this position.
    3. Do not mention you volunteer or do any community service for school or church. This was a concern that it may interfere with my job. It does not show good character as one would think.
    4. DO NOT ask about benefits. Wrong impression.

Again if I had another chance I would have answered the questions a little different and choose better terms.
    It was a learning experience. Study for this interview. There is psychology in it. It's a company to earn a position.

Interview Questions

• Mixture from face to face and phone interview. Not word for word, but paraphrased.

1. Tell me about a time you were misunderstood and how you handled it.
      2. Tell me about a time you created a document you created and it got positive response.
      3. What did you like most about your last job?
      4. What do you dislike most about working with people whether its coworkers or customers?
      5.Tell me about a time after you did all you could to satisfy a customer and thy were still not satisfied.
      6. Tell me about a time you had to learn new software.
      7. What software have you worked with?
      8. Tell me about a challenge you face working for your last employer.
      9. Why do you want to work for Paylocity?
      10. Rate yourself on a 1-10 your ability to work with software.

Good luck! :)   Answer Question

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL).

Interview

After applying to the requisition, I was promptly contacted by the recruiter and scheduled for an hour discussion about my experience as well as a the company. It went well so I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager on site. We spoke for about 2 hours and I was given the opportunity to take a look at the campus in Arlington Heights.

I was contacted 2 business days later by phone with feedback. Great experience overall. The interview process was quick, efficient, and courteous. It gave me the opportunity to realize that It wasn't the ideal place for me either way.

General Ledger Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elgin, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity (Elgin, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

After applying, I was contacted by the recruiter and scheduled for a discussion about my experience as well as a the company. It went very well and I was scheduled to speak with the hiring manager. We spoke for about half hours and I was asked some basic accounting questions. Interview went well, but apparently not well enough.

Interview Questions

• Determine whether certain accounts are debits/credits.   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of when you had to make a strict deadline, but encountered issues trying to meet it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paylocity in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted directly by an internal recruiter and we set up a time to talk informally. The initial chat was the standard chat on the company and my own background. At the end, he asked several of the standard, basic technical questions. Since things went well from both of our perspectives, we agreed to set up a time to move forward to the technical interview.

The technical interview is exactly as others have mentioned. They give you a basic web app to create with a basic set of requirements and you have about a week to complete it and send it in. In wanting to give them an idea of my approach to designing enterprise systems, I took a very robust approach - a multi-tiered application utilizing Domain Driven Design and SOLID principles, complete with unit tests and a normalized data schema with a SPA as the presentation layer. I really felt that I went the extra mile and modeled the solution off of any of the numerous ones I have done on the job.

I felt that the actual video conference with two of their developers went really well. Based on other interview reviews, I was expecting to be grilled, but there was none of that. It was very smooth and conversational as I presented my solution to them. I attempted to solicit feedback and questions from them throughout, but did not get really any negative feedback or criticism or requests to clarify or defend why I did things in a certain way. A lot of their questions dealt with high-level design and leadership.

Needless to say, I thought things had gone pretty well. After a few business days, I heard back from the internal recruiter requesting to set up a time to talk. I wasn't necessarily taken aback when he told me they wouldn't be moving forward with me (as you never know with interviews), but most certainly was with the supposed feedback the interviewers left for me. I was told that my solution was "weak". If anything, I was worried going in that it was way over-architected. I was also told a very well known area of strength of mine was "weak" and what is well known to be my weakest area was "strong". I was also told that I appeared nervous and inarticulate. I don't remember being nervous at all once the interview started, nor do I recall having difficulty articulating myself.

Another interviewer mentioned having a very strong solution and then getting rejected even though the interviewer told them that they built it the same way the interviewer would have. I read this earlier and took it with a giant grain of salt, but can now say that a lot of that jibes with my own experience. I'm not quite as bitter and they did have the courtesy to get back to me. Their feedback just left me speechless. I also felt a little bit condescended to in that last call as it was explained that they just have a high bar (I've survived more strenuous interviews than this) and perhaps I need to work on some side projects (I have plenty that are in the works, actually). I would've rather just gotten a canned email response than a condescending phone call with nonsensical feedback.

Interview Questions

Paylocity Response

Aug 28, 2017 – Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition

Sorry to hear you did not have a great interview experience with us. We put a lot of emphasis on the candidate experience and appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to be as candid as possible... More

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity (Boise, ID) in August 2017.

Interview

Very extensive. Brittany did an awesome job at extracting the real person behind the interview. It was a lengthy phone interview (about one hour). I had the pleasure of having an awesome conversation.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult experience you had with a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paylocity (Lake Mary, FL).

Interview

I had a phone interview with an internal recruiter, completed an online skills test, and had an in-person interview with a panel of managers. The recruiter helped prepare me for the interview and was wonderful to work with. She made the whole process so fun and pleasant!

Interview Questions

• What was a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Benefits Integration Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity in July 2017.

Interview

The first interview was with a recruiter. He was very lively and had a lot of great information on the company. He asked some basic questions about my background and felt my experience was good enough to move on to the next interview. I spoke with the managers for the second call and it was a very different experience. I felt (perhaps because they had already made up their mind prior to the meeting) that there was very little feedback to my answers, almost as if they were bored. I didn't get very much information on the position. Usually a rundown is given. Perhaps it was interview fatigue! Either way, the second interview was much more dry than the first. I followed up a week later with an email to the recruiter. I didn't get a response from him, but later in the day I received a very impersonal generic robot email to let me down.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Started off with a brief phone screener with the recruiter to verify experience and education. Proceeded into an phone interview with the hiring manager then was selected for an onsite interview, which was several back-to-back 45 minute sessions with 1-2 people comprised from leadership, peers and direct reports of the position. Lastly, a final interview conducted over a video conference with the SVP.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paylocity (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to by an internal recruiter who said I'm a great candidate And qualified. I expressed no interest in going to another payroll company (I do sales at the best company in the payroll industry) but he kept me on the phone for an hour to sell me on how awesome they company is. He then put me on with an internal recruiter who did the same exact thing, told me I'm an awesome candidate then proceed to waste an hour of the work day selling me on the company. Low and behold the hiring manager did not move me on to in person interviews despite their praise of my resume and time wasted selling me in the job. Big turn off and would never entertain another interview at a payroll company again.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had great conversations with Sam, who is in talent acquisition at the company. He is very polite and helpful. I had read of his name in other reviews here, but he was even beyond my expectations.

Furthermore, I had read of the interview process with the engineers, and it was also beyond my expectations. The engineers who did my interview were very polite and considerate.

Paylocity's ranking proved accurate for me with the respectful personalities of its employees during the whole interview process.