Paylocity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity (Tempe, AZ) in June 2016.

Interview

First step was an interview with a technical recruiter to go over the basics of the job, ensure you have the general qualifications and are aware of the types of technology one would use in the role. If things go well, on to the app challenge, where you'll test either a hosted or local application for bugs, write test cases and complete an automation solution that tests one of the test cases you've written.

Once the challenge is submitted, a technical interview with a group of QAs/DEVs to chat about the submission, and a deep dive into skills and background.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would automate testing of an API, and what types of things would you test for?   1 Answer
    • What types of security testing have you done? Do you know what the OWASP Top 10 are?   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity in June 2020.

Interview

There is an initial phone screening and then they offered me a Zoom interview with 2 leads where they talked to me and asked me questions for about 45 minutes. The initial recruiter even called me before my interview to wish me good luck.

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity in May 2020.

Interview

The interview process in Paylocity is excellent.
    The first step is technical screening with one of the recruiters from Patlocity, and if it goes well, you will receive QA Challenge, which you need to finish before your group interview.
    The second step is a group interview. Lead QA and Senior QA interviewed me. They want to know more about your background and to walk them through your QA challenge.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity in April 2020.

Interview

1) Brief phone call with recruiter who speaks a mile a minute.
    2) Video interview with head of data science - present your background, and a project you worked on end to end. Pretty straightforward.
    3) 8 hour take home project, wasted a good chunk of the day. You also have to create a presentation within the 8 hours.
    4) Give presentation to a non-data-scientist and a technical member of the team (1 hour). They were nice, but clearly had no impact in the final decision.
    5) Present code to chief of data science and another data scientist. They will interrupt as you present and ask questions.

Received rejection call the next week with feedback that was not useful.

Here is the kicker ... the chief of data science recently joined the company in 2019 from Uptake (another Chicago area firm) and has been quietly moving folk from his old team to Paylocity (just check out LinkedIn). It is no surprise that the person who filled this role was also a junior from Uptake.

Takeaway: Don't bother applying to Paylocity for a Data Science role of any kind, they are just poaching people from Uptake.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity (Boise, ID) in April 2020.

Interview

Lots of open ended questions. Really wanted me to go into my work experience in detail. I didn’t feel like I was given time to share my work experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave a job that you were at for over nineteen years?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Chicago, IL) in April 2020.

Interview

Step 1: A very brief (<15 mins) call with an HR manager, just going over why you're interested in the job.
    Step 2: A 1:1 interview with a current department member, ~1 hour in length. Briefly go over your resume, then deep dive into one past project.
    Step 3: An 8 hour(!) case study involving data analysis and putting together a presentation on it, done at home
    Step 4: (guaranteed if you make it to step 3) A 45 minute presentation of your case study results, followed by a 45 minute deep dive of your code used in the case study, followed by 30 minute behavioral interview.

The case study is frustrating considering you have to give up an entire day to do it, and then a good chunk of time presenting it too. The content of it was fairly straightforward, if you are comfortable with data science there are not any real "gotchas" part of it.

I did not get an offer after Step 4, but did get good feedback on why I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• What recommendations would you have to improve the data we provided? [e.g., additional data, different data structure, etc.]   Answer Question
    • How did you validate your model?   Answer Question
    • How did you go about your exploratory analysis?   Answer Question

Director of Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity (Morristown, NJ) in February 2020.

Interview

Phone interview with the Recruiter who was extremely professional. Scheduled to speak with the Hiring Manager who did not show up to the call. A re schedule was set for an hour conversation the next day. The interviewer cut the call after a half hour & had the gall to say it was difficult to get responses. She was clearly distracted by something while speaking with me. I never felt I had a chance to truly represent myself. Not a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving, what are you looking for in your next role, tell me about your team management experience.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity in February 2020.

Interview

Phone call with initial internal recruiter. Recruiter shared the history of the company and its growth over the past few years. She asked me straightforward questions about my experience and let me know when she was following up with the hiring manager. It wasn't a perfect fit, unfortunately, and I knew that after the interview. I received a follow-up email when she said I would.

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (New Haven, CT) in February 2020.

Interview

Phone screens with two internal recruiters, one phone interview with regional sales head, and in person meeting with regional sales head. Prepare to be ghosted when they do not offer you a position. Internal recruiter provided no feedback, did not respond to text messages or emails. They did not even have the decency to say why I was not selected, what I could have done better, etc, after building a rapport with the recruiter who prepped me on the interview. Was really disappointing.

Implementation Interview

Interview

First I spoke to a sourcing partner and everything went well. Next I spoke to a recruiter and had a great conversation and learned more about the position. The recruiter said he was going to talk to another recruiter regarding another position I would be qualified for and stated he would get back to me the following week. I got no response back. I followed up with the recruiter and I got no response. I just think it’s very unprofessional to say you will get back to someone and never do. Then when they follow up, you still don’t answer them. Recruiters need to get back to candidates with good or bad news or if things are still being worked on explain that.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity in January 2020.

Interview

Call with recruiter. Video interview with two managers. Basic intros and basic questions, nothing to pique interest other than 100% remote work. Quite possibly the most unprofessional recruitment process I have ever been a part of. Recruiter vanished for days at a time, would ask for availability to connect, and then disappear. Process dragged out for 3 weeks with just the initial recruiter conversation, and an hour long interview with the two managers. I was approached by Paylocity, not the other way around. Wouldn’t waste another minute of my time with this company once I am done with this review.