Paylocity Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 17, 2018

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company is growing quickly and we continue to hire but clients think we have high turnover" (in 21 reviews)

• "Growing pains but that’s what makes this so fun" (in 44 reviews)

1. "Don't see myself leaving PCTY anytime soon"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All of my experiences only really apply to people who work on the Tech side of the company. I have no idea what it would be like to work in a different department.

-Flexible Hours
    -Raises/bonus are common, but not large
    -Ownership of work
    -Work from home when you want
    -Benefits are above average
    -PTO is good
    -Career planning so you can get to where you want to go
    -Opportunity to expand your work if you want
    -Not micromanaged (mileage may vary here)
    -I've yet to have a bad manager
    -Opportunity to work with other teams than just your own and grow your footprint/knowledge base

Cons

-Open office floor plan
    -Multiple reorgs within my department
    -Hard to use any different software than your main area, despite this impacting job title. Makes growth a bit of a challenge, but every manager I've had has worked on this to help.

Advice to Management

Most of the manager changes I've had have been outside the company's control, and that is my one big negative experience while working here.

Honestly, keep doing what you're doing to keep the culture alive.

"Culture Concerns"

Current Employee - HCM Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - HCM Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Software and Service! Amazing Colleagues, and a handful of great leaders! Also, incredible benefits. Commission structure is the best in the industry.

Cons

There is not an issue with transparency, but one with feedback. As a top performer, I have major concerns about the changes taking place within the sales culture. There is no flexibility and new reps are not on-boarded properly with proper training. Very few managers know the internal processes here to even assist the new people, so when those new hires are drowning 6 months in, they blame the rep and they are put on a performance plan. Not too mention, the company is taking a quantity or quality approach to putting as many reps in a city as possible. You say you don’t want a culture like Paycom, I do believe that’s exactly what you are building. As the other review mentioned...use our Survey tool, you will see. Your reps are absolutely miserable and looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on this immediately. Your retention of top talent depends on it.

Dec 6, 2018 – Human Resources Director

Hi, and thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback. We take great pride in our software and service, and are happy to see you agree. Our feedback culture is very... More

"Awesome Place to Work!"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

The entire process from the initial interview through my first week here has been spectacular. I was especially impressed with their open communication about where they were throughout the hiring process. Cory in particular was wonderful to work with, providing feedback and transparency the entire time.

I have had the opportunity to work with many departments and forming solid relationships throughout the company. Everyone is incredibly supportive and happy to be here. They truly embody the "work hard, play hard" culture, and I am absolutely thrilled with the opportunity to continue with Paylocity and see where my career with them takes me!

Cons

You have to learn a lot of information, especially on payroll and human resources, but you are provided several training opportunities and support to be successful.

"I never knew I could be this happy at work!!!"

Current Employee - HCM Sales Executive
    Current Employee - HCM Sales Executive

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They actually value their employees and their clients. The C-suite is extremely approachable and it's just an amazing feeling working for a company that genuinely gets it!! I see myself working here for a VERY long time!

Cons

That I didn't come here sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep listening! Continue all the amazing things you're doing for employees and clients!

Dec 6, 2018 – Human Resources Director

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am happy to hear you enjoy working at Paylocity. Our C-suite takes great pride in being available to our employees and driving our mission and vision. We are... More

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resources, Peers, Recognition, Balance work life, and Opportunities

Cons

The Cons I will mention aren't just based off my needs. I am speaking for others as well. The system is easy to learn, but it does take a lot of time to get used to. The trainings are very helpful, however, I wish there would be more Scenario's that account managers have now that could help new AM's who just get into the role.

As a account manager, it can be very hard to work with other departments. I feel that other departments expect account managers to know everything. Every time an AM feels they don't understand the process, the AM is expected to ask there TL/Manager. It seems to be that other departments think AM's know of all changes within a process. Don't get me wrong, there are people in other departments who understand what the AM is going through and tries to help them out.

Overall, to me the biggest problem is miscommunication. There needs to be a way for each department to communicate on a level where they all can work together and be in sync.

One last thing to mention is Client's are our biggest competitor of them all. In the end, it's always about making a client happy. As an AM there is only so much we can do to make them happy. If we don't take consideration on what a client expects to see in the product and we keep pushing back on fixing the product, AM's get it the worse by getting yelled at. What is the point of creating a new product, if we know it's going to create another problem. My suggestion is first fix what is broken, then launch the new product.

Advice to Management

-Recognition is always the key for ANY employee.
    -Listening to Employee's is also a way to understand what there going through.
    -Hire more people for teams that are struggling. That way we don't have to use other employee's in different teams as back up.
    -Better communication when changes are made internally.

"Paylocity Proud"

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Focus on culture, employees, products, industry change, process improvement, client experience, employee experience, management, growth, and transparency. I feel like I have a voice here and given feedback with honesty.

Cons

Yes, we grew fast and there are struggles with that BUT I see and can say first hand that I have experienced the company try to resolve those struggles and firmly believe we will continue to work on them!

"Culture is dying."

Current Employee - Senior HCM Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior HCM Account Executive

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product is great, and I love the service/development teams.

Cons

With the recent change in management over the sales team, culture is out the window. This company feels like Paychex from a management standpoint. Every call is recorded, every hour is tracked, and you will be told if they decide they want your opinion. Otherwise, I've been told in no short terms on a team call to "keep our mouths shut" unless asked. This is not the company that I was hired by 5+ years ago.

Advice to Management

Don't let the culture die. Spreadsheets and punishments only work in the short term. Do an anonymous survey - you'll see that we're on the verge of a mass exodus on the sales side. Teach the new managers how to manage. Every person on my sales team has told me that they are looking for a way out in the next 6-12 months. This is not sustainable.

Dec 6, 2018 – Human Resources Director

Hi, and thank you for providing valuable feedback. We are happy to hear you find our product and service to be best in class, as we couldn't agree more. Our culture is extremely important to us... More

"All talk. No walk. Don’t be fooled."

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Modern office but that gets old fast

Cons

You will be expected to work well beyond 40 hours for an entry level job. You cannot take vacation 25% of the year. You go to work sick because you will behind so much that it is worse to stay home. It is a chop shop/fool’s gold. They burn you out and replace you. Stay away.

Advice to Management

The trend is to hire managers that have never done the work of the people they are managing. That demographic doesn’t take advice. Everyone is quiet because they know nothing changes when you voice ideas or concerns.

"Started over at Paylocity and couldn’t be happier!"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pcty is a place where you are valued as an individual and have the freedom to creatively solve problems and shape the organization. Almost 5 years in it just keeps getting better. The work is hard but that’s what makes it so good. After spending ten years in a major big name corporation and feeling like all I was met with was red tape and barriers to impacting employee and customer experience I have found my redemption.

Cons

Growing pains but that’s what makes this so fun!

Advice to Management

Keep listening :)

"Not the same company I originally joined"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Paylocity full-time

Pros

As a salesperson, Paylocity is a good product to sell. Better than most of the competition.

Top level leadership is great. I love the vision of Steve Beauchamp and Mike Haske.

Cons

This is specific to sales. The culture has really turned into a micromanaging culture. Tracking how many hours per week you are on the phone (you're supposed to have 8). They hired quality assurance people to literally call our meetings and see if they were real meetings. The did this under the guise of it being a "post-meeting survey." When these micromanagey initiatives were rolled out, leadership pitched it like it was something that would be helping us. "Now you can see how you are tracking to 8 hours per week you on the phone! It'll be great! We're going to give away Apple Watches for good activity, so we're hiring quality assurance people to call a statistically significant number of your meetings to confirm!" We're not stupid, I can see what is going on.

I felt like I spent literally half my working hours logging various activity into an outdated, difficult to navigate CRM system. I wouldn't have cared if they chose Salesforce, hubspot, oracle, whatever. At least use a CRM system you pay for rather than something that's free.

People who hit quota in the past year or even literally just got back from President's club were put on performance plan because they didn't hit the unrealistic activity metrics. So therefore you just put in fake numbers and hope QA didn't call those meetings.

Compensation. How does someone working in NYC or SF make the same salary as someone in a place like Arizona? Competitors offering much more lucrative comp packages.

Advice to Management

Go back to treating salespeople like mature adults. Too much time is spent on all this micromanaging and putting it into the system when that time could be spent selling. There will be a mass exodus of salespeople if this doesn't change quickly. Paylocity is pitched as a forward-thinking tech company. From my experience, sales was run in a way that was very far from forward-thinking.

Nov 21, 2018 – Human Resources Director

Hi, and thank you very much for providing your feedback. I am happy to hear you believe in the vision of our top level leaders. I am, however, disappointed to hear that you believe our sales... More