Pixar Animation Studios Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Pixar Animation Studios

3.1

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

I applied online and got a form email saying that my application was received. A few weeks later I got an email setting up a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked questions about my work history and technical questions focusing on C++ and STL. Especially about STL set.

After the phone interview I got several odd follow-up recruiter emails with stalling tactics. The usual out-of-the-office type excuses. This was annoying, but I tried to remain positive. It continued for 4-6 weeks until the recruiter set up an interview with the team.

The team interview was more of the same: questions about my background, C++ and STL (including implementing the STL set). The questions were relatively straight-forward, but I got the impression that the bar for answers was VERY high. One of the more absurd questions was "what is your greatest contribution to computer science?". It seemed unfair for a basic engineering role, but keep in mind that they mainly want engineers from MIT, Stanford, etc. If you don't have a degree from a top 5 school you'd better act like you do. Pixar is big on thinking the world of themselves, and it sure seemed like employees are expected to be huge self-promoters. There was a weird mix of false humility and elitism that didn't sit well with me. I hope I'm wrong, but that was my impression after meeting with the team.

About a week later I got another form email saying that the company gets lots of great applicants and that they weren't interested in me anymore. It wasn't even from the recruiter, just a generic automated email. It felt like a rude ending to a long and often frustrating process that dragged on for over three months.

I'm still a fan of their movies, but I don't want to work at Pixar anymore.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios in March 2015.

Interview

Got an email to schedule a phone interview after applying online. Quick process -- they scheduled the interview for Friday morning when I had gotten the first email Wednesday. Interviewed with two individuals for about 20 minutes. Heard back about 2-3 weeks later that they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Questions about projects listed on my resume -- explain how you did _____ and what steps you took to figure out _____.
      Language questions to test knowledge on C++ and general concepts -- asked which route you would take when trying to code _____, asked what _____ is and advantages/disadvantages of C++ features.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got the on-campus interview. After that, it will be another 1-2 on-site interview. Unfortunately, I didn't pass the first round.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact question, but it was about what kind of work you wanna do in Pixar. The interviewer listed tuns of positions in "animation terms", which I surely couldn't follow as a CS geek...   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios.

Interview

Very intense interview. After a couple phone interview they flew me out for a full-day interview of hour-long sessions between me and the people who would become my future coworkers and leads.

Interview Questions

• How many palindrome numbers are between 1 and 10,000? (show your work)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Was contacted by the recruiter, 2-3 rounds of phone interviews, all of which were group interviews (3-4 on conference mic). Half the questions were general software engineering, half were specific to computer graphics.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview request from a Pixar recruiter two weeks later. She scheduled me an interview 2 weeks later....It lasted for 30 mins with 2 s/w engineers frm the team....They asked really basic questions from C++, and one basic ques from graphics. Also, they asked 1 behavioral ques......while I answered all questions really well....2 days later I got an email stating they are moving ahead with other candidates. I don't know......I feel I haven't been given a fair chance.....dey hardly interviewed me....probably coz they already had some other candidates in mind....they didn't ask me to even explain any of my projects....or even ask me why am I interested in Pixar/that position. I was soo disappointed.
    The interviewers were very friendly though......

Interview Questions

• Difference between virtual and static methods.   1 Answer
    • const func, mutable keyword. Tell us a scenario where mutable is used.   1 Answer
    • Dot product and cross product differences and their uses.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a team project , how did u divide tasks...if you lead the team...and how did you plan?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Interview

Very professional but friendly and light. Met with a number of people to mostly get a feel for each other and learn why I wanted the job. It was a very comfortable experience though I was a little nervous

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview, followed by an on-site interview the following week. Met the team I would be interning under. The atmosphere was very low-pressure and had interesting conversation about what the team did while also discussing my experience.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied two months before receiving any word from them, had a phone screening and then received a follow up a couple days later. The interview was on campus and had two rounds: the first half-hour with two employees and the second half-hour with one of them. They were very friendly, yet kept both a professional and personal atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Qualities that college taught me that would help me with the job.\   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Pixar Animation Studios (Emeryville, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Initial recruiter phone screen then hour long phone interview with two engineering leads.

Two on-site visits each of 4-5 half hour sessions with 1-2 people from different areas; engineers, QA, project management, VP software. Some were conversational, some whiteboard coding problems and puzzles. Some specific C++ and multi-threading questions, others about figuring out algorithms. Also questions about previous work and responsibilities, how projects were tackled etc. All interviewers were pleasant, open to questions and I'd say I learned a few things from them too.

Software departments are two blocks down the road from the main (and fancy) buildings and I got the impression that it would be a bit isolated from the main part of the company. Got the impression that the job would have a fairly narrow focus and there would be limited variety.

Campus is accesible, but not convenient, from public transportation.