PizzaExpress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PizzaExpress Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2017

2.6

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Middlesbrough, England (UK)).

Interview

Took over a month and 3 separate interviews in that time. First a telephone interview, very basic, second a face to face interview, again very basic, third interview you will be required to work on "real plays" you are given a scenario and have 15-20 minutes to come up with an action plan (i.e a business plan for a failing store). After providing a flawless business plan that I have used in the past in previous roles I was told I "would not be a good fit", yeah thanks, want to be a little more vague? Also in the 2 hours you are there you are seen by up to 8 different people so it can be quite jarring.

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

Jul 14, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

We can confirm that as part of our Assistant Manager interview process, you should take part in either a... More

Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southam, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Southam, South West England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Basically handed me the job, managaer was friendly and talked about people who had become chefs in one month... which is obviously rare. Nothing much else to say, asked me if I wanted coffee

Jun 29, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for your review regarding your interview experience at PizzaExpress.

We're not quite sure which restaurant you interviewed in as we do not have a branch in Southam, however; we're... More

Waiter/Waitress Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Leeds, England (UK)).

Interview

Online application, telephone interview with restaurant manager with open ended questions about team work, time management and organisation. then face to face asking to provide more specific examples of the above qualities.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time you contributed towards working as a team   1 Answer

May 3, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review regarding your interview. We hope you're enjoying your time at PizzaExpress!

The People Team
    PizzaExpress

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Liverpool, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Went through a simple enough online application and heard back with in 2 weeks. Then I was invited to an interview 2 days later. First they sent me to the wrong restaurant, then at the place the guy wasn't interested in my An kept looking away and talking to others as the interview was in the middle of the restaurant. We didn't do the real play that was stated either.

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

May 18, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review on Glassdoor regarding your interview at PizzaExpress. We can only apologise that you found the experience a negative one.

We are deeply sorry that you were... More

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Bromley, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

applied online then got an email asking to attend an interview a couple of days later, the email stated that the interview would have a 30 min competency interview and then a 20 min real play exercise but the actual interview lasted around 5 mins as the manager didn't want to keep people waiting long, it was a very easy interview but it was my first and i don't think i got the role as i was nervous and my answers didn't come out the way I want.

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

Apr 19, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review regarding your interview at PizzaExpress on Glassdoor. We appreciate your feedback!

We can confirm that your interview should have lasted longer than five... More

Waiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PizzaExpress.

Interview

First was phone interview asking about my experience and what do i know about company, next step was face to face interview asking same questions. Interview was held in restaurant with restaurant manager. Straight away after interview he told me that I got a job and asked when I can start working.

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience!

The People Team
    PizzaExpress

Waiter/Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Albans, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Saint Albans, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed in store. Apparently I was meant to have had a telephone interview but this never happened. Was interviewed sat next to another girl who was applying for the same position. Interview was at 10. I arrived around 10 minutes before and the shop was open but no one was around. I knocked on the staff only area and shouted hello but no one came to meet me. Eventually the manager came up from downstairs. During the interview she was yawning, rubbing her eyes and had her head in her hands- it was like she was hungover from the night before. She would ask me a question then ask the other interviewee the same question (stupid in my opinion as if we wanted to we could just copy each other). I'd say 75% of the interview was us asking her questions while she yawned. She left halfway through the interview to tell the chef one of the ovens was broke. Why this couldn't have waited I don't know since the store didn't open for another hour and a half. Even if I had been offered the job I would have turned it down. She had no idea how to conduct an interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • What do you know about pizza express   Answer Question
    • You have just spilled a jug of water over a customer. How would you deal with this? (Apparently it happens A LOT in that store according to the manager. Not something I would tell prospective employees)   Answer Question

Mar 1, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review regarding your interview experience at PizzaExpress. We really appreciate your feedback. We can confirm that, whilst we used to conduct telephone interviews as... More

Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (Sheffield, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a week later I received an email saying I had been successful following my interview and now had a face to face interview two days later, which didn't make sense until I realised on here that most people have a telephone interview! The email was quite precise in what this interview would include, 2 X 30 minute excercises and so I looked on here to see the types of questions they would expect.

I prepared for the interview trying to have as many examples ready of times I have provided good service, had a difficult experience etc as I was really excited to have been given the chance of an interview and was sure that with years of waitressing and customer service experience I could provide enough examples to show I was more than capable of working in a place that I loved to eat myself!

I arrived a couple of minutes early and couldn't believe that I was finished 3 minutes after my interview was due to start. The manager never asked to see any of the documents that the email had told me to bring (which I didn't realise till I got home) and he made the whole interview awkward with the pointed questions that he asked me.

All of the questions that he asked were about my degree and why I wanted a job at all. He only asked two questions regarding the actual job and it felt like he has already decided that because I was a final year student I wouldn't stay with the company long enough or even want the job at all... which to be honest I didn't by the end of the short interview. I think he had allready made his mind up before he even spoke to me, so I'm no sure if it's a HR team or someone else that had asked me in for an interview because he literally didn't seem to listen or care about what I said and didn't give me any chances with the questions he asked to show that I had the experience and was actually really keen to work there! Or that I wanted to work around my ten hours of uni and four full days off a week!!! Everything he asked was contained within the initial application online, it was a massive waste of my time and his.

Weirdly enough he concluded the interview asking whether or not I would be interested in working in a new store they were opening 'if he thought I was good enough' which I said I was more than happy to do. I'd only been home for 30 minutes before receiving an email saying I had been unsuccessful, which didn't surprise me based on the little time he spent with me. No mention of the other store, although i am glad on some levels as I can only imagine what he would be like to work for when his people skills and first impression was so terrible.

Couldn't believe that such a lovely restaurant could have such a terrible recruitment process, has put me off pizza express completely.

Interview Questions

• What's the point in getting a job when you finish uni in 5 months? Why do you even want to work?

Are you going to stay living here when you finish uni?

Why pizza express? When I said about loving the menu and often eating there and thinking it would be a great place to work he asked what I eat when I come?

He asked something which didn't even make sense and I said, do you mean what makes good customer service? And he said yeah. Not sure if that was the original question worded strangely or if he couldn't be bothered to correct me.

Do you have any questions?

Would you be willing to work in another store that's opening in April?   1 Answer

Jan 20, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent interview at PizzaExpress.

We are incredibly sorry to hear that you received such a negative experience and deeply regret... More

Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Got there and was told the position of waiter was taken so I had to apply as a food runner, similar roles but I was fine. Interview was good but very brief. Was told if I got the job they would call at the end of the day, sent a thank you email and still has not received reply to this day so I am not sure where my application is but I will take it as a no

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

Feb 20, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi,

Thank you for posting a review on Glassdoor regarding your interview experience at PizzaExpress.

We do apologise that at the time of writing your review you had not had a response from the... More

Server/Waiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PizzaExpress (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applying took a few weeks of waiting for a response after submitting an applicationj but finally received an email , detailing that they needed someone who could work everyday and had no part time work..

Interview Questions

PizzaExpress Response

Jul 14, 2017 – Resourcing Specialist

Hi there,

Thank you for your post regarding your interview experience at PizzaExpress.

We would like to apologise that you waited a few weeks before a receiving a response after submitting your... More