Priceline.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Priceline.com in December 2016.

Interview

A phone call was setup by recruiter with the technical guys. It was an intense interview . They grilled me on basic concepts of core java.It surely is not a typical phone interview. Only a guy who has some real programming experience could answer those questions.

I was called for onsite interview. Flight and hotel expenses has been taken care off. I was flown in the day before the interview. The interview was for about 4 hour 45 minutes.

The first 15 minutes is HR asking my background. All the rounds from here on has two interviewers.

First Round: It was for about 90 minutes. Web services, Spring, Core java, White board coding. Average difficulty. I managed well except for a couple of questions. I did well.

Second Round: It was for about one hour. Informal interview. Took out for lunch. No technical questions.

Third Round: It was for about one hour. Two interviewers. I think they are hiring managers and are the same people who took my phone interview. The interviewers were extremely knowledgeable. This round is not about specifically any thing but my overall application development knowledge was thoroughly tested. I did poorly in this round and my knowledge was clearly exposed. I felt that there is no way you could prepare for this specific kind of interview Only the knowledge one has built on really working on application development over a period of time helps. Every question requires coding on whiteboard.

Fourth Round: It was for about one hour. How do you perform validations? How do you trace a bug in production environment?etc. and few other questions that do not have any specific answer. I did OK in this interview. I was already down because of the previous round.

The very next day I got the standard reply that I was not selected. But I am happy with the interview process. I was given a fair chance to show my skills and I did not meet their expectations.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with HR initially. after that there was a video interview with the lead which was technical for about an hr. It was pretty straightforward and about core java( couple of questions about JVM heap space and Exceptions).

I drove down to Norwalk for face to face. The first interview was with couple of engineers of which one of them was too annoying. I tried to explain the complexity of the problem he gave but he was too uptight/dimwit to understand my explanation and rude. I mentioned a for loop inside a for is not always N^2 complexity, it will be N1*N2 where N1 is the iterations in the 1st for loop and N2 in the 2nd for loop(For ex, if N2=2 then the problem complexity is 2N1 i.e., linear). In my scenario N2 was variable and N1*N2 was turning out to be constant O(N). Anyway, I learned my lessons for a future interview.

The worse part was the HR sending a rejection email and not replying when asked for expenses. I ended up paying for the stay and travel myself. Like really, what would you gain out of saving 100-200 bucks ?. I am one who usually takes stuff in stride and not vent frustration but I thought at the end of it how they dealt with everything was pretty cheap

Undefined Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com.

Interview

I was referred by a good friend of mine. I didn't hear anything from them for the first 2 week after my profile submission, but the process runs very quickly after that. I met some of the most incredible and smart people at Priceline during my interviews. They are very friendly, and smart! They are good at recognizing amazing talents and would like to retain and/or find how to make things work for both the company and its employees. I hope to work for Priceline in the future.

Interview Questions

• Management style, biggest career accomplishments, and also technical backgrounds on development, software, database, data warehouse.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in March 2017.

Interview

Very rude and opinionated. One phone interview followed by face to face interview by 6 people, another phone interview by hiring manager and final interview with Sr. executive in technology and three others like a group panel interview People were so rude checking their phones and laptops during interview walking out to take up calls in between. HR team is very friendly and good thru out the process.

Interview Questions

• What are the types of roles in a software project, how one computer talk to another computer :)   Answer Question

Customer Care Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com.

Interview

Lengthy, antiquated and gives insight into the company in a bad way. I submitted for this role end of December and had an initial call with HR that was brief about my background. The second call was with the hiring manager and was more personable. Next, was an interview process involving eight people, asking the same questions about my background then leading off into more personable questions. Only one of the interviews seemed to be prepared but, that same person gave off an air that they were arrogant. The rest rambled on about current events, sports, their role and other irrelevant things that were not about the position. This lasted for four hours, aside from the fact of the hour plus commute from the city. Most of the interviewers focused on my commute up to the office, which shows they have a problem retaining talent due to the location.

After numerous follow ups with HR for several weeks and receiving generic responses stating they'd get back to me at x date, I gave up. I feel my time was disrespected, they had no vision of the direction they want to go on and they are stuck in a mindset that they can afford to wait for the perfect candidate in their eyes.

Interview Questions

• If you were an ice cream flavor, what kind would you be?   1 Answer

Manager, People Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter and an in person with the recruiter, VP of HR, and the self identified "mayor" aka Director of External Reporting - each for 45 minutes.

The mayor spent 30 minutes talking about finishing a project before she can work in Amsterdam for 6 months. She went into great logistical detail about turning her 2 bedroom condo into a 1 bedroom condo and locking her things up so she can rent it out. She was concerned that someone wouldn't want to rent it out for 6 months. She also doesn't believe she should pay for her rent while working in Amsterdam and wants the company to pick up that bill. A fellow colleague is currently going through internal mobility so she is hoping he can give her some answers. For the last 15 minutes she asked if I had questions, I attempted to steer the conversation back to the role and given her finance background, I asked about one of the role objectives, equality in gender pay. She went on for 15 minutes about there not being a problem and she is a very good negotiator. She believes Priceline pays well and went on for a few minutes about waiting for the current controller to leave or retire before she can get promoted.

After that interview I waited 1.5 weeks with follow up emails just to get ghosted. The recruiting coordinator sent me 2 system Jobvite rejection notices for the wrong job as well as sent me an email and referenced the wrong job.

Training and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

Received an email to set up a phone interview in mid December with HR. Following week received an email for a phone interview with Hiring Manager. Two weeks later got an email for an in person interview. After a three hour in person interview (I met with all team members and was invited to participate in a 30 minute brainstorm session with the team), I was told I would hear from HR within 2 weeks. Never received a response

Learning and Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a long interview. This was an interview where they don't really care about getting to know you but how fast and well you can answer difficult or curveball questions. They had me create an imaginary itinerary which was extremely time consuming and was not even discussed during the interview- the woman just took it.

Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen with HR, phone interview with hiring manager, three in-person interviews. HR was very involved and helpful throughout process. People were friendly throughout but ultimately they went with a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• What does high availability mean?   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Priceline.com (Norwalk, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

Questions on Java.
    Interviewers have been introduced to a structured process only recently. Before that they had no idea as to how to conduct an interview.
    This is because almost 80% of the employees were from India with a Visual Basic or older language background. They value programming language specific knowledge more than ideas on how to approach/solve a problem using data structures & algorithms.