Priceline.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Brett Keller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long" (in 31 reviews)

• "Incredible resources, friendly people and an exciting/active work environment" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard" (in 7 reviews)

• "Lack of communication and direction" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Surprisingly Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Priceline.com feels like it’s turning the corner and starting to move forward. It has changed a lot over the past year and I like the direction. Senior management is trying to change the culture to be faster moving and more demanding. It’s hard, but rewarding.

Cons

Resources can be scarce. I often feel that we are understaffed. Expectations are reasonable though I wish we had more people.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for growth and be open to testing out of the status quo. Invest where it makes sense. Develop an employee recognition program so that overperforming employees get recognized broadly - that is missing today.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and great desire to succeed make this a fun place to work.

Cons

Staffing is tight so you have to be prepared to get your hands dirty. It's fun but not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep on pressing for growth. You are on the right track.

"Caring culture with positive vibes..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, upbeat atmosphere with good, solid people! Sr. Leadership is dedicated and are "good people". The CEO engages people and keeps them in the know with regular all employee CEO updates. He encourages questions and feedback, and stresses that family comes first. Our People & Culture leader has made huge strides with providing a stronger department with a driving force to make solid improvements across the board. The company provides perks such as monthly social gatherings revolving around the holidays, etc. , s huge summer party, huge Christmas party, monthly Bagel Thursdays, etc. And the company just celebrated it's 20th Anniversary with a surprise visit from Shatner! The culture is a positive one where everyone treats everyone with respect, courtesy and dignity. All in all, a fun place to come to work everyday!

Cons

Can't think of too many cons....although I feel there still needs to be a push to get great people in, and keep great people.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback. Do what it takes to keep talented, driven, innovative and dedicated employees.

"Finally Found My Corporate Home!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company filled with smart, dedicated, and kind people. We take care of each other and our community. And of course, our customers! The lack of bureaucracy and expedient decision making creates an environment where you can contribute quickly and make a significant impact. Titles don't carry the day...ideas do! We work hard, play hard and give hard at Priceline.com. It's a place where I can spread my wings, find purpose and meaning in what I do, and be appreciated for what I bring to the table.

Cons

There is a resistance to change from some employees. Part fear, part stubbornness, part comfort with the status quo. My hope is that they will embrace the vision for our bright future and get on board with us.

Advice to Management

Start tooting our horn. We're a very humble company...sometimes to a fault. This company is a gem that cares about our employees, our community and our customers. Every day we have a positive impact on all three. We need to tell that story.

"Working at Priceline best working environment of my career"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

good atmosphere and working conditions

Cons

All depends on managers experience

Advice to Management

keep up the team building activities

6. "Honestly Priceline is hard to figure out!"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

Awesome benefits & above average pay. Some smart people and some who say they are smart! Good decent upper management mostly. Nice well kept offices, free gym, fab patios and such. Lots of activities, parties, food and such if you respond to this sort of things. Many good decent people all around!

Cons

1, Hard to figure the direction with constant changes in leadership. LOTS of departure and arrival at the upper management level makes for an unstable environment. Director level comes and goes leaving a lot of debris in the wake. Wrong people coming in the door. 2. Connecticut is seriously expensive for employees to relocate unless you are coming from NYC! 3. Some whiners as if Priceline is their parent - show up and grow up - it's not about you all the time!

Advice to Management

3 years = one department =3 directors and 3 VPs ; all with fancy degrees but sad and ineffective people management & organizational skills. HR should get in someone's head to get high quality candidate and, balance degrees and diversity with the right fit. It seems to run on "show and tell" like a kindergarten - how about people with content and experience?

"when the CEO asks people to put good reviews on glassdoor...."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Priceline.com (More than a year)

Pros

I have the privilege to work with some of the smartest people in different teams.
    Good benefits, but below industry average.
    Learned a lot

Cons

I have to do everything myself without getting support.
    Talented people are leaving at a faster pace I have ever witnessed....very sad.
    I don't think the senior management cares at this point of people leaving.
    Nepotism. Played from the top level down.

Advice to Management

I don't think they would listen, but.....

It's a big change from the time I started till the time I end...Things have changed. I went from motivated to frustrated. At first I just thought I would work with great talent, and learn different cool tech, but it got out of control fast. Our hard work is not recognized. As a result, people are leaving at a rate the fastest the company has ever seen.
    I can't speak too much about other departments, but in Tech, things are getting out of control.
    I don't expect the CTO to know everything about tech, but when he struggles with making basic senses of our vision for development, strategy, or even optimization of our infrastructure, I lost faith after constantly being disappointed. There are projects that lasted more than 2 years that don't even have an adoption rate of more than 5%, and they are STILL debating the fundamental technology architecture.

My job involves working with different teams, and the lack of communications or willingness to cooperate is shocking. I don't imagine people to participate everything with priorities of their own, but as a result, I have seen the most amount of technical debt in my whole career life. It's exhausting, having to constantly fight for what I believe is right. The senior management almost never provides any help after I pledge to them time after time. After seeing people who stood their ground sharing their thoughts being fired one after another, I chose to keep quiet.
    Look at the staff you have left, they are 80% of people who have been with the firm more than 10 years, and unwilling to adopt new technologies or refuse to listen to new ideas. After 5 re-organizations in the past 2 years, most of the vital and talented people left, leaving people who don't have working ethics, who bully their employees, and who refuses to listen in charge.

It's a big problem for my mental wellness. I tried to care, but in the end, I don't want to beat the dead horse.

Good luck.

"Change is hard, but headed in the right direction"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time

Pros

- Working at a smaller company allows me to have more impact and less bureaucracy
    - Much better work/life balance than previous companies where I was responding to email all weekend long. For the most part, people actually go home at a reasonable hour
    - Benefits are terrific

Cons

- In year two of reinventing our business which is draining. We are on a good path, but driving change throughout the organization is difficult and hard to get everyone on the same page

"Downward spiral"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great benefits:
    401k match per pay period
    Different health plans with separate dental and vision options

Flexible work schedule/location- come in late or leave early for an appointment. Work from home if your job allows, as needed

Cons

Your experience at Priceline depends on what department you work in. Some are in absolute turmoil and I’ve been working in one of those departments. You can see the physical toll that stress and the working environment has on employees. My department lacks unity, communication, and leadership. I used to enjoy my job but now it just makes me sick. My boss is an arrogant narcissist who is too busy floating his own boat to care to understand things that are important or provide any kind of direction or mentorship for his direct reports.

Parties/events were way better a few years back when planning was collaborative/inclusive. Not everything has to be a secret!

Advice to Management

Find a better way to get good talent! Some of the most recent people that were hired for leadership roles in my department have driven it into the ground. They are bosses/managers but not leaders. Some have stayed for a year or 2 and then left but the turmoil they created remains. They hire friends from previous jobs for open positions so the cycle never ends. Constant turnover impacts employees and the work we are doing. Find good people that will stay long term who know how to lead, grow, and develop their direct reports.

Parties, events, and ugly swag do not make employees happy.

"Rife with Favortism"

I have been working at Priceline.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart peers to work with.

Cons

Unless you are in the good graces with the upper management, your voice is not heard. Favoritism is rampant and it is not even hidden.
    There has been a lot of chaos and reorganizations taking place over the past few years that have only exacerbated the problem of favoritism.
    After the CIO was unceremoniously fired, a new reckless, incompetent CTO took his place and bullied his way around with an ax, slashing and cutting managers at will and bringing in his own "buddies" to continue the carnage. Left in the wake are a bunch of good people either let go, or quit in justified disgust.
    HR personnel are gutless to do anything about it, but then again, in their defense, they are also in fear of their jobs. Privately, they will acknowledge what's happening is wrong, but publicly can't or are unwilling to interfere, even though that is their job - pathetic!
    Do yourself a favor and avoid working for this "wolf in sheep's clothing" company! They really don't care about you - their actions belie their words. They only care about themselves... don't find that out the hard way!

Advice to Management

Middle-management - grow a spine and do what is right for the good men and women that work under you. A good leader will have their employees' back and support them.
    Upper-management - You should be ashamed of yourselves!
    HR - You are useless.