Rally Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Rally Software

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in February 2014.

Interview

Starts of with a phone screen, followed by a take home coding example, which is then followed by the code review of the coding example (I did not progress past that stage)

Interview Questions

• They are big into pair programming, so they probe to see if you are a good fit in that area.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in April 2011.

Interview

I spoke with a technical lead for 45 minutes. Most of the questions were regular development ones - what is OO programming, name some data structures, tell me about X or Y project, etc... Then we spoke about agile programming and the company. 2 weeks later and I haven't gotten a follow up call, and the job was no longer on the website. I assume they hired someone else whose skillset was closer to the requirements. (My Javascript and CSS are somewhat limited, I admitted as much, and that was part of what they were looking for)

It was an enjoyable interview, I just wish they had let me know when I was no longer being considered.

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in February 2011.

Interview

Started with a phone screen. Then came into the office for a group interview and a programming exercise. Lastly went to lunch with a group of engineers.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a design for session management in a servlet assuming HttpSession does not exist.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Denver, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

1) Recruiter phone screen - high-level convo
    2) Manager phone screen - get to know you, talk interests
    3) Code exercise/code review - submit a code sample that solves a problem of your choice. Meet with two engineers to review the code.
    4) Whiteboard exercise - talk through a problem on a whiteboard
    5) Pair programming exercise - pair with two engineers and work through a programming problem
    6) Lunch - meet with other team members and talk about interests, projects
    7) Manager wrap-up - talk about the interview, ask any other questions

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to work here?   1 Answer

Interview

I spoke with an employer for about a month before being asked in for an interview. Prior to the interview they had be write a todo app using any language I wanted. When I arrived, I was asked a plethora of "thinking questions" so my interviewers could see how I thought. They asked me things like: "How much would I need to pay you to clean every windows on the empire state building". They then asked me questions regarding my code, and how I tested it, and general technical questions.

Interview Questions

• "We want to roll back to a previous version of our website. How would you go about moving all of the data from our current site to the previous version?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was just happy to get it.

Web Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview

I made it through the prescreening no problem and was given a list of five problems -- solve one. I chose to solve it in ruby and then a follow up with two people to peer review. I must have made an impression because I was brought onsite. Everyone was very cordial and the environment looked like a lot of fun.

First interview was with two developers, simple 1-on-2 about my background and what happens at Rally. Then I pair programmed with two junior developers and that went well. Next, another two developers took me out to lunch. Finally, a met with a manager and I believe the interview went great. She even said at the end of the interview that she wasn't going to bother with a technical challenge since I had already proven myself with my skill set.

That was it. A day later, I got an email from Rally saying they were going to pass. No explanation, just a "bug off and have a nice day" (nicer words than that). I tried to follow up on figuring out why I was not accepted, but was simply ignored. And that was the end of that.

I got a free lunch out of the deal, but it'd be nice if the company was a bit more transparent on their expectations.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult.
      The first coding problem was to write a string interpolation function.
      The pair programming exercise was to translate a number (2508.23) into English currency. e.g. "Twenty five thousand eight dollars and twenty three cents"   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

About 3 calls back and forth with HR the manager and another lead dev. Invited to come in after taking a strict javascript test. Coming in.. was the strange part. Normally... I am asked technical questions but this interview they mainly talked about their environment and then their relationship they had together (man and woman.. maybe 20 somethings). One of the strangest ... strangest interviews ever. Never asked me abut myself or what I was hoping for

Interview Questions

• wasn't really... just.. an odd interview. Almost like they weren't really serious in hiring me   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview

First, I had a 1:1 interview with a manager which went well with basic java questions. After that there was a take home coding challenge and a discussion of the code. Not really knowing what to expect I wrote the program and it worked fine. During the discussion with a different manager and an engineer it then became clear that the expectation was to write this small program with a heavily object oriented approach. Since on interviews you generally try and solve the problem as efficiently as possible I was not expecting this. I talked about why hashing made sense in the approach I took instead of using an array since the lookups were O(1) and the manager clearly didn't understand big O or hashing so he cut me off and immediately changed the subject every time I brought it up. They then asked a lot of the same questions the previous manager asked and didn't really seem interested in any explanation for the answers.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult, mostly questions about Java but not explanation of the answers was required.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Interviewed by team members and Sr. Management

Interview Questions

• Test your experience with Agile.   1 Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

Medium difficultness; no technical questions, more behavioral and cultural. The interviewers made me feel as comfortable as possible. They are concerned with you fitting into the type of firm they have built. They do ask about your work experience and what you have learned from past roles.