Rally Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rally Software Interview Questions

2.9

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

Initial vetting with HR, then hiring VP before onsite interview with a good mix of the Rally team including reporting managers, reporting staff and other principals and peers. Good interaction with the team asking questions and looking for me to ask questions of them. Also a follow-up call with someone that was out sick the day of the onsite interview and finally a very enjoyable lunch discussion with the hiring VP.

Interview Questions

• A number of questions were around how I might react to various situations and support the reporting team as well as peers in other departments. Not a technical interview so much as ability to lead the organization and interact with peers.   Answer Question

Resource & Partner Management Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Longmont, CO) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a video interview directly with the manager of the department. She was very nice and the experience was good. I was informed that I would receive a follow-up from HR within a couple of days to schedule a time to go into the office and interview with the rest of the team. I was advised to let the manager know if I did not hear from HR. I did not hear from HR so I did the suggested follow-up. By the end of the week, I did hear from HR and was told I would hear something within a week and they would schedule a day/time. I didn't hear again, so I sent an email. I was told they would be in touch that they were discussing other candidates as well. Needless to say, I was never brought in for the promised team interview and FINALLY received an email (a month after the process began) that another candidate had been selected.

The whole process was very disappointing and unprofessional. They just kept stringing me along. I am not the only person this has happened to either (I have a friend who had a similar experience with a different department at Rally). I would not recommend anyone applying here.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process was standard with two face to face interviews with Management, as well as a number of phone calls with team peers to understand the true nature of the organization. The interviews were seamless and the usual questions were asked. There was nothing out of the ordinary during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience, current client relationships, sales cycle, current employment etc   Answer Question

Pre-Sales Agile Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by people with no Agile or Rally experience. When mentioning it after I got hired I was told not to worry about it. Really? But does this company not sell Agile and Rally? The sales team members interviewing me told me not to worry about the questions and that was a red flag for me already. During my time working for them as a consultant I had to work with people who did know nothing and who lied to clients about all in order to sell. I am not a sales person but a consultant and to me the car sales approach was a horrendous experience. I pride myself on a lot of experience and knowledge in Agile and software like Rally and while there I was immediately helpful but would get shut down at times due to sales team members not being able to shine and do their sales talk. Not a lean and Agile team and very unethical.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us how you would help a team with questions about Rally?   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rally Software.

Interview

Fast. The first interview wasn't very helpful as it's a recruiter so you can't ask much about the specific position. They seem really nice and put together but it was hard to get any specific answers from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work at Rally?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

One call with a corporate recruiting manager followed by another phone interview with a department head. A third interview in person with four members of the team (two at a time).

The team seemed extremely enthusiastic. I was emailed and called within a few days of my application. After setting up two phone interviews I was asked to come in for an in-person interview where I met four members of the team including the director. All smiles, seemed very pleased with my responses about what I love to do and qualifications for the role, aside from not having any formal Agile experience. Frankly I believed I nailed it and was even given a tour of the office.

Days later I received an email noting that I was not hired and that the process is "consensus-driven". Very disappointing given the number of interviews and amount of the spent preparing.

Interview Questions

• - Why do you want to work for Rally?
      - What experience do you have with the Agile process?
      - What do you like to do outside of work?
      Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with team leader (30 mins) then in person interview with each team member (2 hours). The whole process was great all interviewers were prepared and fun to chat with. They respected time and asked interesting, conversation-starting questions. Rally is a great company to work for with a great product, talented leadership, and incredible people. I was not offered the job, but, because of the way I was treated, would be very open to applying to another position down the road. Fitting in with the specific team (3-5 people) is very important. The people I met with were awesome and are doing great things.

User Experience Designer Interview

Interview

After a brief phone screening and a second more in-depth phone interview with another UX designer, I was asked to complete a design review of their application as an interview exercise.
    Exercises are an excellent way of assessing a candidate's quality, but normally they involve something that is clearly an academic exercise: writing a sample program, solving a sample problem, purely to demonstrate your skills.
    In this case they requested an actual design review of their product including identifying problem areas, proposing solutions, and describing a method for testing the proposed solutions.
    Although I had some misgivings about spending that amount of time on something so early in the interview process, I decided to proceed in good faith and completed the exercise.

I have extensive experience in conducting this type of review so I feel confident in saying the quality of my work was good. However immediately after receiving my exercise, I was informed that my qualifications did not match the role.

I was very disappointed with the timing of that decision. They were well aware of my qualifications when they asked me to complete the exercise. I believe my work product was excellent, but even if I am overestimating the quality of that work, at a minimum it was good enough to advance to a full interview. Honestly I am left with the impression that either they never had any intention of hiring me but were interested getting a free design review, or their hiring process is so disorganized that they waste a lot of people's time by asking them to complete exercises before they actually make a basic evaluation about whether they are qualified.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected (but not difficult) was the request to provide a design review of their application.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rally Software (Boulder, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

About 3 calls back and forth with HR the manager and another lead dev. Invited to come in after taking a strict javascript test. Coming in.. was the strange part. Normally... I am asked technical questions but this interview they mainly talked about their environment and then their relationship they had together (man and woman.. maybe 20 somethings). One of the strangest ... strangest interviews ever. Never asked me abut myself or what I was hoping for

Interview Questions

• wasn't really... just.. an odd interview. Almost like they weren't really serious in hiring me   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rally Software (Kirkland, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by Rally while traveling and was unavailable to interview for a few weeks. They were very understanding and patient about it. When I was finally available, I began with a phone call with a recruiter that covered some basic questions. Next up was a phone conversation with a manager there. He mostly asked about my experience with the various tools/libraries they use(and they use a lot of them). I did not have exposure to most of them, but I made it to the next stage.

This was a coding exercise, done at home. There was no due date per se. They use TDD and I was asked to complete the exercise in that format, making frequent code checkins to Github. I passed that exercise as well, and was brought onsite for an hour code review with 2 developers. We examined the code I wrote, talked about my choices for design, etc. They made a couple of valid observations regarding optimization.

I did OK on that part, and was brought onsite again, this time for almost five hours. It began with an hour algorithm session where they had me whiteboard some code to solve a problem. I did OK, they made some suggestions that I was able to follow-up on much better, I think. Then it was a 1.5 hour pair programming exercise. I have only pair-programmed informally, a few times. It went OK but I was out of my experience zone a bit there. Lastly, lunch with 3 of the developers. Lunch with people at a company is a common thing, but don't ever forget- it's still an interview.

Everyone was very nice during the whole process and it seems like a great place to work. I think a developer would really have the opportunity to learn a lot of new things. Their office is completely open- no cubes. You are sitting side by side with your coworkers. If you are the kind of person that wants to put on headphones and work alone all day, it's probably not the right place for you.

Also, they asked for references as part of the online application. Many companies refuse to give references anymore. They'll confirm start and end dates, and last salary- that's it. Be prepared to list references if you pursue a job with Rally.

In the end, I did not get an offer. They were looking for someone with a little more front-end experience, and I would guess, more familiarity with the various tools and libraries they use.