Rally Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Miller

Pros
  • Great culture and work-life balance because corporate values are mostly respected (in 35 reviews)

• Rally truly cares for it's people and has a great culture (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • CA acquisition has thrown everything into chaos (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains with integration with parent company, relating to sales and provisioning processes (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Rally Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, great mentorship, great process, and a fun place to work. The usual office niceties like beer on tap, foosball, and ping pong

Cons

Salary could have been higher

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - R&D in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - R&D in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

While no company is perfect, the culture at Rally is great. It's a collaborative environment that is still going a good job of preserving that "start-up" feel while having the benefits of a large corporate like 401(K) match, ESPP, health-care.

Cons

With the acquisition, we lost our free health-care, but I felt that was an amazing perk. Even though the culture is great, it has declined with the recent turnover due to the acquisition.

"loved it but moved on"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Rally Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture: empowering, supportive, fun, innovative
    The most intelligent and all-around great people I've ever worked with
    Interesting challenges and the ability/freedom to solve them in creative ways

CA acquisition opened a lot of doors to share agile with major customers we wouldn't have had access to on our own.

Cons

CA acquisition. They adamantly say they want the Rally culture to spread to their own, but it's not possible for a company of 500 (probably closer to 300 now) to change a gargantuan 18,000 person company. People have left in droves.

Lack of leadership training. There was a running joke that you had to be a pompous jerk to get promoted to Director, and they have no idea what they're doing or how to manage people.

Cowboys. There is a lot of technical hubris and arrogance in Engineering. People are very smart, but there's also an attitude of entitlement and not wanting to work on the necessary (ex: tech debt) when they'd rather build something shiny and new. Also, there was a pattern of chasing the shiniest new technologies before vetting them and then being tied to those technologies even when they didn't suit our needs. Perhaps CA will lock that down which might actually be a good thing.

Advice to Management

Good luck. I hope you succeed. Don't let tone-deaf CEO come to Boulder and tell us how great hele-skiing is. Keep the corporate BS to a minimum.

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Rally Software full-time

Pros

Work Life balance, beer, ping pong

Cons

low pay, no promotion from within, leadership bias towards older males, no marketing support for sales, zero inbound leads, no clear direction for sales in 2016

Advice to Management

be honest and upfront with the direction of the company for 2016. Don't dangle an imaginary carrot, promote your good people or they will continue to leave (like they have been for the past few months), recognize the TMs do the lionshare of the work within the sales org. with little to no recognition.

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, amazing goals of the organization, learning is encouraged and supported, flexible

Cons

No career path, unconscious bias against women, low pay, only 15% of sales teams make quota.

Advice to Management

Hire/promote leaders from within who embody the core values of the company.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rally was once a really great place to work. The leadership was passionate, genuine, and took transparency into the business to a new level that gave employees the feeling that they could truly make a difference and be part of the success. Team-oriented, collaborative and intelligent colleagues. Lots of opportunity and competitive benefits.

Cons

Employees and managers not taking accountability so they don't risk getting cut, and morale has taken a major nosedive after CA acquisition. Some teams act like a high school clique and the peacocks in the group are the ones seen in a positive light. Across the board there's more politicking and typical big corporate behavior.

Advice to Management

Not sure any advice is heard, but take a step back to understand why so many people seem to be going out the door or wanting to. Hint: it's not just because the company is no longer called Rally.

8. "Great place for Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rally is an excellent place to work as a software engineer. We are able to influence the direction of what we build and how we build. There is a great sense of community responsibility and a desire to make the ecosystem better for the whole team.

Cons

We are starting to our grow our working space, but there are plans to expand the floor space available to help. We can do a better job at balancing the priority of product and technical goals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in retaining the Rally culture through the CA acquisition! Help us focus on what is most important to you.

"So many caring people, lots of work to do"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Rally Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really incredible people to work with, and your colleagues will genuinely care about you as a co-worker and a human being.

Cons

A lot of things get brushed under the cover/talked about "behind the scenes", resulting in tech-debt and ambiguous wants/needs of the company and your manager.

Advice to Management

Hard to say after CA took over - try to maintain and grow the Rally lifestyle if at all possible.

"Rally During the CA Acquisition"

I have been working at Rally Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rally was a very interesting place. A truly Agile company with the most capable people I've ever worked with. Unfortunately, the company culture is being replaced by the 1980's management style of CA Technologies and many of the best and brightest, especially in the technology/engineering teams, have left.

CA really isn't that bad, it's just so very different from the culture of the old Rally. But it's not a long term problem, as most of us will get laid off at the end of the year.

Cons

The company culture is being replaced by the 1980's management style of CA Technologies and many of the best and brightest, especially in the technology/engineering teams, have left. It's really too bad, as Rally was the most interesting place I've ever worked with tons of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Wow, it's sort of too late now, isn't it? You've gotten paid (again) at the expense of your employees' well being and careers. Why start listening now?

I do, however, have some advice for people who are reading this to check up on Rally's senior management or are thinking of working for them at a different company. Don't. Stop now and find another opportunity. I've watched Rally's senior management do things to enrich themselves (IPO, selling the company to a really bad fit, etc.) with zero concern for the employees that worked hard to make their company good enough to go public or to sell for tons of cash.

Rally management, if you're still reading, you should be ashamed.

11. "Terrific Engineering Team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Rally Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, great managers, challenging projects. Family-first organization, 40 hrs/wk, no overtime or after-hours on-call with few exceptions. Very strong culture of learning and mentorship. Strong reputation in the local tech scene.

Cons

Transitioning to CA (acquired recently) will affect benefits. Hiring is becoming more difficult due to the new company size.