RealSelf Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at RealSelf

1. Featured Interview

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after applying online. The process was a phone screen, discussing what I was looking for and giving me some background about the company, its mission, and some of the cool perks. After that, I got a take home technical screen; python and sql problems that took about 4 hours to complete. The exercises were not incredibly hard but solid enough to make you think about it. At no point did i have to do the dreaded whiteboard interview, which was great. I felt like I got to put my best effort forward on the tech screen. After I submitted my screen, I had a one hour conversation with the hiring manager. The conversation was personal and I felt like they made a real effort to get to know me, and understand what I found important. They Invited me to participate in an onsite loop at the office in pioneer square. They just moved to another floor in their building, so some of the cramped space comments looked to be alleviated. The office is very modern but also kinda cozy, with lots of communal space and it wasn't particularly loud. The loop had me meet with four people from different departments and the hiring manager. Each one was a little different, and I think the focus was simply to find out if I was the kind of person they wanted to work with. Again, not really any white-boarding, but some asked the standard behavioral questions, others asked a bit about the business model and some hypothetical business questions. The loop was about 3.5 hours, but everyone was on time and there wasn't any downtime, so it felt pretty quick. All in all the process is well managed, the recruiters are quick and communicative, and the interviewers were friendly, professional, and really excited about RealSelf.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions, SQL and Python take home assignment   Answer Question

Sep 11, 2018 – Director of Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience. The most important aspect to interviewing here at RealSelf is our candidate experience. We work hard to make sure that when you are... More

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA).

Interview

A 30-minute phone screening with a recruiter, followed by a 30-minute phone interview with the person who would be your manager. Then an in-person interview with multiple people at RealSelf's Pioneer Square headquarters. I would say the recruiting team at RealSelf is very good. The process was all very organized and they even give candidates a little goodie bag during the in-person interview. The recruiter informed me of their decision within a 1-2 day period (and let me know when to expect to hear from them) which was much appreciated.

Interview Questions

• In what situations do you believe it's OK to go against company policy?   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Quite a number of individual interviews. Once with the Recruiter and a skills test, an in-person meeting with VP, another in-person meeting with the CTO, and a third in-person meeting with Product Manager, Sr Developer, Soft Dev Mgr, CTO, Recruiter.

Things were pretty routine, however, I got the distinct impression that they didn't know exactly what they were hiring for, as the position was "new" and the email/website job title waffled between Software Development Manager and Software Development Engineering Lead.

Over the course of lots of meetings, interviewing mostly concentrated on soft skills, behavioral, situational and industry. I seem to be hitting all the correct talking points, asking each interviewer what they were looking for, things seemed to be firing on all cylinders over the course of two days and several in-person interviews. I felt like I had been upfront on the position I was looking for and received confirmation along the way. They were good, productive conversations.

However, in hindsight this feeling of ambiguity was reinforced after talking to the Sr Backend Dev, who felt the company needed focus on the front-end and their MEAN framework. Turns out the Sr Dev's opinion either won out or echoed what they were actually looking for... a Technical Lead who could provide leadership on the front-end development. I'm not sure where or even *if*, people/process management was a true consideration.

Nice people. I liked the environment. But I feel like the company was purposefully trying expand their net for potential applicants by creating nebulous job descriptions.. and seeing what they got, without regards to the time/energy of me as an applicant.

The job market in Seattle is plentiful. It's useful practice to take any interview and go through the process. But if you're serious about getting a job, perhaps it's best to make sure they are serious first. However, I'm not sure what else I could have done to cross this job-posting off earlier. But it would have been nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a "Word with Friends" or online "Scrabble" game?   1 Answer
    • Write a function to identify palindromes within a given text string   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Brief coding challenge at the on campus Job Fair. Followed up with the call to do an onsite. Onsite all the engineers were very friendly and loved the product. Great atmosphere to the company.

Interview Questions

• General behaviour questions followed up by a tree traversal question. I'm not sure if I can disclose the exact question.   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

I had my first interview with a recruiter which went well. Standard questions regarding my experience and how it related to the job I was interviewing for. The next week, I had an interview with the woman who would be my manager and from my perspective, we had a great conversation which made me pretty excited about the position. I heard back from the recruiter the following day who told me that “the feedback from X was very positive” and that they discussed me being a “great candidate” for a role they were opening in a few weeks and asked if I would be willing to wait. I immediately replied that I was very interested and would be fine with waiting. I followed up with the recruiter two weeks later asking if there was any update she could share. No response. I then followed up a week later politely asking if there any been any developments. No response. I emailed a week later. No response. Now, I understand that things can change, but the fact that I couldn’t even get a response saying they were no longer interested was pretty discouraging because she asked if I would be willing to wait while they “iron out details.” During those two weeks, I stopped looking for a job (was recently laid off) because I thought this was the one and I wasn’t interested in anything else. Totally my fault but I just feel like after two interviews that went well, along with the positive feedback, that I could at least get a reply saying something! The only thing I can think of was that my thank you note was too eager? I have no idea. Obviously it wasn’t meant to be. Their loss!

Interview Questions

• How my experience related to this role. Situational questions. Size of my previous books of business.   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf.

Interview

2 interviews total

First interview was great and informative, but the second was just awkward because the person had very little personality over the phone. Mostly one-word answers and very little information was given about the position itself. It was like talking to a wall. I hung up no longer being interested in the position based on my conversation with the 2nd interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for RealSelf?
      How familiar are you with RealSelf?   Answer Question

Jul 26, 2016 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback on our interview process. I'm happy that your first interview went well. I'm disappointed that you felt like the second interview left something to be desired. We seek... More

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in March 2016.

Interview

I honestly wasn't sure about the product when I initially considered this role – is cosmetic surgery something I would be interested in pursuing? However once I interacted with the team and learned more about this unique space, it almost became a no-brainer.

Interviewing with RealSelf was positive from the initial call throughout the entire process. I felt warmly welcomed and was treated as an equal partner. The people I met along the way showcased some great common qualities: curious, smart, fun, disciplined, excited, engaged.

The company culture was a sparkling standout from the mix of other companies I was considering. I left each stage of the process with an escalated feeling of interest and desire to continue.

Interview Questions

• What are your deal breakers when looking for your next opportunity?   Answer Question
    • Describe a recent project that may have not gone so well. How would you have adjusted/changed/or corrected the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the type of UX research you've performed in the past?   Answer Question
    • How adept are you with metrics and analysis?   Answer Question

Business Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very long with 5 different people. Many of those interviewing had little to no formal interview training. Three of these individuals asked technical questions involved with SQL, machine learning and data science. Hardly any questions about personality, work style or career goals.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the size of the Gastric bypass surgery market?   1 Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Interview

Was interviewed in Feb 2018. Firstly, there was a coding challenge and asked to complete in 2 hours. It mainly tested the ability to come out with ideas to handle corner cases for the problem given. Finished it in little over 2 hours with comments. Got an email from HR asking for the availability for a 1-hour phone screen. The interviewer had a discussion over my work experience. As it progressed there were questions that tested in depth knowledge about the autoscaling and performance of the application.

Interview Questions

• Questions mostly tested ways to handle performance issues of the application using autoscaling.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

The interview process was great overall. The coordinator was very responsive, and I really liked the team after the onsite. But because my offer was withdrawn with zero transparency, I cannot even give a neutral rate here. I will write down the whole hiring process with detailed timeline. Please use your own judgement when you consider to apply a position or accept an offer from this company.

Because I did get a verbal offer with a congratulation email, I will choose "Yes, but I declined" for the question "Did you get an offer?*".

I was referred by a friend, so got my first round interview very soon. I had my first phone screen with the technical recruiter in mid Oct, then went to their office for a coffee talk with the hiring manager about one week after (late Oct). I did an offline code challenge that weekend. Feedback came back very soon, so my group onsite interviews were scheduled in mid Nov. Maybe because they weren't sure which one they should choose from the final candidates, I was invited to another onsite interview (last round) with the CTO right before Thanksgiving.

Then there was a whole week of silence. Meanwhile, I was interviewing with other companies and also waiting for other pending results. I got an offer and did a phone screen that Monday, and did another onsite for a very similar position that Tuesday. They finally followed up with a congratulations email that Tuesday during my interview (early Dec) after that silent week. We scheduled a conversation regarding offer details that Wednesday over the phone.

During the conversation, the recruiter went through the package (base, bonus, 401K, etc.) with me. The package was an average one to me, but I did prefer that position a lot back then. The recruiter asked me if I want to accept it right away or wait until the other results came out. Since I just got another offer two days ago and some pending interviews/final results, and he knew about my situation, I suggested a conversation with him in 9 days, when I can give him a solid answer. The recruiter didn't say anything about deadline, so I though I had 9 days to decide. Then I got a cold rejection email from him 6 days after the phone call.

I know people lose verbal offers all the time, and it doesn't count as a contract before anything is put down on paper. However, this kind of behavior is far beyond my bottom line. I can take any rejection, but no offer withdrawal. It happens often doesn't mean it's right. If he said explicitly during that conversation that I had to make my decision right away, I may consider to take it since I worked very hard to get that position. But he didn't. And he didn't say anything before sending me the final template rejection email.

I decided to write down this experience once things settle down on my end. Personally I won't bother to apply for any position at this company again. As I mentioned early, I actually really liked the team because all interviewers were very nice, so I thought it will be a great fit. However, because this poor decision was made, the whole company as a whole needs to take the consequences.

Interview Questions

RealSelf Response

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am glad to hear that you were moved quickly through the process, but disappointed by how everything ended up when it came time for an offer. We pride... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at RealSelf (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

Started off with a 20 minute phone call from a technical recruiter in which we discussed my prior experience and interest in a position as a DevOps Engineer. They then sent me a coding challenge where I was given 48 hours to submit and 2 hours to complete from the time I opened the problem. Doable in 2 hours but it took me 2.5 as I cleaned up the code, added a README, plus command line options.

They seemed satisfied with my solution, so invited me to speak to their lead DevOps engineer for a "coffee interview." I enjoyed this interview and my time speaking with him as I was able to talk about my experience in High Performance Computing, projects I've worked on (some in great detail with white boarding architectures and solutions), and interest in working with large scale web services in the cloud. I passed this portion and was invited on site for a 4 hour loop, 1 hour per interviewer. This interview ended up being for a Site Reliability Engineer as someone internally took the DevOps position. Thought I it went fairly well, but was getting the feeling that they wanted someone who worked with large scale web deployments in the past. Spoke with the technical recruiter at the end and discussed salary/benefits.

The process was pretty straight forward and I learned quite a bit about the company, but was utterly disappointed that they seemed to actually want someone who had experienced in web-based architectures. I suppose my experience managing enterprise clusters catering to engineering work was insufficient. These were my comments on the survey they asked me to fill out:

"While everyone in the interview process was professional and courteous, I feel that they did not listen to some of the questions/concerns I brought up early on in the process. I specifically asked if RealSelf was looking for someone who could adapt to the environment with applicable experience, or someone who already had production experience running web based systems. I was told not necessarily. Upon receiving my offer denial, I was told that "we are looking for someone with more hands on experience supporting production engineering for web-based products." My lack of production web-based experience was explicitly communicated by me in my first two interviews. RealSelf either did not listen, has other reasons for the denial, or changed their minds during the interview process. Regardless, I thank the company for the opportunity and learned quite a bit in the process."

My recent decision to sign with another cloud based application performance management company was a no brainer and I am ecstatic with the opportunity. Do not waste your time with RealSelf unless you are a "cookie cutter" candidate.