KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

RealSelf CEO Jeff Kizilbash
Jeff Kizilbash

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "They just did a massive layoff, getting rid of 50% of employees.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of RealSelf and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with even better people!

May 16, 2022 - Sales Advisor - Team Leader in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous PTO, great benefits, and plenty of commission and bonus opportunities for top performers. The best part of this company is the support that management continually offers.

Cons

Fast-paced work environment, so may not be a good fit if you aren't very adaptable to change.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Really great company to work at!

Mar 7, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Important company mission- keeping consumers informed, educated and giving them the tools to find the right doctors and cosmetic brands is really important. It’s good to know that our work keeps them safe. I feel like the company really cares about me. Yes, we have had some turnover at the top- but I think it’s for the better and will stabilize. I believe in our CEO. Yes, we unfortunately had another layoff, but the company and the leadership team have been keeping us updated and the communications have been transparent. Work life balance is top here. Great employee benefits. And remote first is critical to true WLB and making working from home work. I think this year is important to the company and I appreciate where we are going and steps leadership is taking

Cons

Remote work has its drawbacks. Harder to develop and cultivate true relationships… Sometimes leading to more Tension and churn than necessary. The slack culture here is strong. Even though it would be better if we got on a zoom to discuss. And the slack culture doesn’t help if the relationship isn’t there yet. But these are common cons. I still take RealSelf over other companies.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic, micromanaging culture but great coworkers

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-100% paid medical and dental -Remote -Fair market rate starting salary -A lot of great people in “lower” roles who know what they’re doing

Cons

-Leadership is toxic -Management is not focused on career development or promotion for lower level employees -No clear vision -Future success feels uncertain

4. 5.0

RealSelf work life balance

Apr 15, 2022 - Realself Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work life balance is amazing, the autonomy is so nice coming from my previous roles which were much more micro management. The management and team are all so wonderful, even through a zoom environment there is tons of camaraderie!

Cons

It is still a start up which has its ups and downs so there are a lot of moving parts and changes but overall the team is transparent with what is coming down the pipeline and open to suggestions!

5. 5.0

A Special Group

Apr 2, 2022 - Technology Organization in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Made some amazing friends, worked in a phenomenal culture, and had autonomy to work on a wide variety of interesting and rewarding technical, product, marketing, and sales initiatives. Startup cultures can be "variable" and the reality can often be different than the marketing/what you read in the news, but RealSelf is one to trust and it only grows stronger with each hire.

Cons

Likes many of the aggregators out there, the company is in the middle of a hard pivot from a weak to a strong aggregator - this will take time. However, a lot of the hard work has been done, global expansion achieved, and I'm confident that the next few years will be fruitful.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

RealSelf = Dream Job

Jan 28, 2022 - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The entire organization is so collaborative and supportive. It's very much a teamwork mentality. Tons of opportunity to be successful and resources available to help you. There is flexibility in working from home and not being micromanaged, but lots of coaching and training happens to set the team up for success.

Cons

The job is phone sales to doctors, which is very difficult. You have to be resilient and accept constructive criticism. It's also all remote, so you have to be completely self-motivated to be succes.

7. 5.0

Loved RealSelf

Apr 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful folks working there, flexible schedule, great product

Cons

Lots of growth so some growing pains at times

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great WLB, questionable business decisions

Jan 14, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company culture Great WLB Decent pay Fully remote Working for RealSelf was honestly so enjoyable. I love working on web applications, so this was a great role for me. Some legacy code in PHP and Angular, but moving towards React. My team was so supportive and we had a lot of fun together. Remote work was a huge plus for me. Good communication between manager and team. All of the software managers were really friendly and open.

Cons

Questionable business decisions in C level Unclear goals Uncertain financial state of the company I'm really not sure that this business will survive. It survived for 15+ years, but COVID really hit them hard and they've had a difficult time recovering. If you want job security, I really don't recommend working here. They just did a massive layoff, getting rid of 50% of employees. This is the third layoff they've had in the last ~7 years, which is a lot to me. I thought I was safe, but they got rid of people who had been working at the company for 5+ years. Don't join this sinking ship.

3 people found this review helpful

RealSelf Response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate candid feedback. With our 2021 acquisitions of Your New Self and Tajmeeli, RealSelf is a global brand. We now reach a broader and more distributed set of consumers and customers. Our 2022 plan is focused on delivering innovation and new value across our platform. This plan also requires us to reassess our investments and align spending to our global objectives - the recent reduction represented 13% of our enterprise workforce. These decisions are always difficult and never taken lightly. We’re grateful to our past-employees and for their dedication to supporting RealSelf’s brand purpose to empower every person to realize their most confident self. - Jeff Kizilbash, Interim CEO

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Leaders lack of management skills

Apr 26, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Medical, Vision and dental are covered 100%, plenty of PTO. It's completely remote

Cons

Aggressive sales leadership and work environment.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Can't get out of their own way

Apr 13, 2022 - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unique platform in the aesthetics space

Cons

Highly political culture that allowed unqualified people into powerful roles

Viewing 1 - 10 of 197 Reviews

RealSelf Reviews FAQs

RealSelf has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 201 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at RealSelf to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, RealSelf employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at RealSelf. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

73% of RealSelf employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated RealSelf 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at RealSelf to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be workplace .

Popular Careers with RealSelf Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at RealSelf? Share Your Experiences

RealSelf Careers

Cover image for RealSelf

Mission At RealSelf, the people are authentic and our work is inspiring. Whether you are helping a user build confidence by connecting...More

• Our Principles
  • Roles & Teams
  • Benefits
  • Giving Back

Company Updates

Logo

389 days ago

Company News
A note from our CEO today: Hello World, Hola Mundo, Hallo Welt, Ciao Mondo, Bonjour le Monde, Ahoj Světe, مرحبا العالم, Witaj świecie, Today we announced our acquisition of Barcelona-based YNS Group. This is a transformative moment for our team and the community we serve. Everyday at RealSelf we interact with doctors and community members from across the globe in English. Today I share the excitement of my team that we are now in 6 languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Czech), 15 countries (revenue), 170+ countries (audience). The interest and demand for medical aesthetics is truly borderless and boundless. YNS Group’s portfolio of 15 destinations covers the map across Europe and South America. Together with RealSelf, we now serve over 100 million global consumers seeking to make aesthetic treatments that are 100% Worth It.
Shared image - RealSelf Acquires YNS Group to Continue Their Global Vision of Making Every Investment In Modern Beauty Worth It. Now Serving Medical Aesthetics Market Across Europe, South America, and Beyond
www.prnewswire.com

RealSelf Photos

+ Add Photo
RealSelf photo of: The RealSelf Team
RealSelf photo of: 2021 Analytics Team
RealSelf photo of: ASPS 2021 Conference
RealSelf photo of: Customer Success Dinner
RealSelf photo of: At ASPS 2021 with Dr. Curtsinger and Sr. Account Manager Lisa Gode. [They have worked together for almost 6 years! ]
RealSelf photo of: ASPS 2021 - Welcome to the RealSelf family Dr. Setton!
RealSelf photo of: Welcome our newest manager, Jess Inserra