RealSelf Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
RealSelf Founder and CEO Tom Seery
Tom Seery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "This work/life balance is amazing as well" (in 14 reviews)

• "Snacks, dog friendly, flexible hours" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, the company is growing and we're a tad cramped" (in 8 reviews)

• "Con: Company is expanding rapidly and there are definitely some growing pains that hopefully will be addressed as time passes" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Definitely an amazing company to work for!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I worked here for about two years and I was able to learn and grow so much within my role. Coming in at a point where there was fast growth, I was able to experience it with an amazing team and a wonderful manager. She taught me how to perform various functions of my job and the best part was giving me the ownership to manage these processes and find ways to improve them, or even create my own. Being able to manage my career is something that's not easily found at other jobs and it's something I definitely will miss. Also, the team morale is awesome. I was able to play with the soccer team, participated in bottle fridays, looked forward to the holiday parties and bust a break dance move or two, and got along with basically everyone at the company. Oh, and the snacks & coffee were awesome. I've never worked for a company that allows dogs in the office and provides pet insurance, takes the office out to sporting events in the Seattle area or other fun things, and so much more. This work/life balance is amazing as well.

Cons

I was fortunate enough to work for a fantastic finance team with a great manager, and the only cons I can think of were the rapid growth the company faced at times. With much work to do, there were only so many people able to do it all but a pro to add to this is that I was not alone through any of it. The major con is that no other company (at least that I can think of) will be able to top this so RS sets the bar super high. Other small cons include; some barking in the office and loud noise or heavy traffic when events go on at the stadiums nearby.

Advice to Management

Giving your employees ownership and letting their voices be heard will definitely benefit the team/company over time.

Aug 1, 2018 – Chief Financial Officer

One of the most important elements of employee satisfaction is the quality and commitment of your direct manager. We are a young and rapidly growing company, and we are committed to developing great... More

2. "Create Your Own Journey"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

I have been at RealSelf for a little over a year. This is an incredible company to be a part of. I trust the Executive team and believe in the vision for the company. Overall, this is a supportive environment with very talented people.

Cons

Start-up mentality but isn't really a start-up.

"Growth Pains"

I worked at RealSelf full-time

Pros

The company has many smart and talented people. It's also an amazing brand in the aesthetic space. Plus, they seriously do embrace work/life balance.

Cons

The main hurdle lies in the company's ability to graduate from a scrappy feel good startup to a real scalable business.

The company was a pioneer in the aesthetic field, but is finding it challenging to adapt to customer feedback, needs and competitive alternatives.

The leadership is hesitant to test new products,
     Offers, or markets in fear of breaking a good service. In the current marketplace the sales team will continue to be hamstrung with growing the business without a strong and bold offering for thier clients.

Advice to Management

Be bold and embrace market changes! And while you're at it, provide more transparency and feedback to your front line sales team.

Sep 7, 2018

I love your advice to 'be bold and embrace market changes'. It is a good reminder that our success as a disruptive innovator in the aesthetic marketing world needs to continuously shift with our... More

"Rose colured glasses."

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun team events, free alcohol all the time, positive environment.

Cons

Preaches about transparency, but shoots down any ideas of your own. No sick time. No time off without pay (unless you've already used the -2 weeks they *allow* you to go for PTO). Overtime is nonexistent, but not all positions are salary.

Advice to Management

The CEO Tom is amazing, but some of the managers staffed should not be working there. Stop stocking new kambucha or cider, and use that money to give sick time or fix your policies about time off without pay.

"Wonderful company with wonderful people"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm so glad I made the decision to leave my last job for RealSelf. The company is a review site for Plastic Surgery and other Aesthetic procedures (botox, fillers, etc.) At first I was unsure - not having any experience with the industry. But after spending time on the site and all the people who work here - I love our site and what we do for people. It's all about empowerment - that's our motto with our customers and internally. Everyone here is so friendly, and i love how many powerful, bad-ass women work here. It's refreshing to have a relatively diverse work force, especially in tech. We make in effort to hire women and people of color and other minorities.
    In terms of general perks, there are so many...

-Cold Brew/Kombucha/Beer/Wine all ON TAP
    -Snacks, so many snacks
    -People can bring their dogs into the office
    -$40 gym reimbursement
    -So much PTO and managers who actually encourage you to use it (there's people on PTO all the time)
    -the "meditation room" with couches and hanging swings for quiet time
    -Absolutely beautiful and open office
    -everything is pink and teal
    -they have catered lunches fairly often
    -Health insurance is great
    -The CEO is awesome
    -No one cares what you wear or how you look - people can wear dresses or yoga pants
    -The quarterly/yearly review process is very organized and simple to keep up to date
    -The company puts extreme emphasis on gender equality and equal pay

Cons

-Location in Pioneer Square, which is hard to get to for some
    -Working at a start up can be stressful (but there's still a great work life balance culture)
    -We don't use Microsoft products (just google docs/slides/sheets)

"Very happy to be here"

Current Employee - Advocate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Advocate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and wonderful culture. Prime location in Pioneer Square. Very welcoming to new hires with the growth. You can bring your dogs to work, there is zero micromanagement, and you are expected/trusted to act like an adult and do good work. There is also work from home flexibility- that's huge!

Cons

None- honestly. So happy to be here!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The transparency and support has been huge after coming from a place where that wasn't always the case.

Jul 26, 2018 – Programs Manager

Our leadership team for both the company and the sales department take a lot of pride in ensuring we support an environment that sets you up for success and allows you to achieve your goals. It's... More

"Bumpy road"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Great positive energy across employees
    + Free snacks
    + Nice newly expanded office
    + Exciting audience and interesting business challenges

Cons

- Strategic vision for the company changes almost quarterly
    - Career/Employee development is a buzzword tossed around the company that is rarely applied
    - Constantly changing management makes moving the ball forward difficult
    - Siloed teams that often don't work well together

Advice to Management

1. For our company to succeed we a clear strategy for developing products that work for our customer base.
    2. RealSelf's fantastic culture is a major asset that has been shaky in recent months. Management needs to ensure our culture doesn't get deprioritized or diminished as the company seeks to scale the company.

Aug 7, 2018 – CEO

It is never easy to give difficult feedback and appreciate your willingness to do so. It is my belief that we must always be learning and evolving as a company while keeping a keen eye on the... More

"Love seeing the growth and the positive changes"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

*Your work is recognized
    *Lots of growth, new team members and ideas
    *Culture of learning
    *Leadership cares about their people, open to feedback
    *Professional development support

Cons

*Sometimes the fast growth creates temporary chaos

"(mostly) Smooth Sailing through Perpetual Growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The item which I joined by remains the same so far & is still the strongest reason I could give to work here: People & the company seem to genuinely care/respect your life outside of work. It might be an offshoot of the company's focus, but there's a recurring feeling of the focus being on people & solving social problems vs. seeing things as process & technology-first.

It never feels like hours-in-seat are the metric people are watching for above all else (the office is a ghost town by 6pm), it's easy enough to work remotely to avoid disruption when you have an appointment or the like, there isn't the same Alpha Macho tone you can see at times in the industry, I see strong support for families...
    Ultimately, it's somewhere I feel like I can work at long-term without constantly worrying that the other shoe is about to drop, and that goes a long ways for letting me just focus on what I'm supposed to be doing.

Also, points for noticing when the company was going to go through a social inflection point from "small & scrappy startup where everybody can know everybody else" to "large enough to need defined roles" and hiring on a team to smooth out that transition. I've seen startups run into a lot of trouble at that point, and this was the smoothest I've ever seen that go.

Cons

Balancing "best practices" vs. immediate benefit is always tricky. Even as much as the company has grown, there's still way more each person/team in Product/Engineering could be doing at any given time than there is space to pick each potential item up. As a result, there's always the tradeoff of "does this move the metrics? If not, what's the tangible value of it?", which while necessary does occasionally leave some longing for "doing things right", so to speak.

The flip side to being focused on social problems & business framing is that tech decisions are very pragmatic. This works well for me, but if you're looking for a space to work on cutting-edge "ML + Blockchain + React" type greenfield projects, you'll probably end up bored.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting in people & giving them space to ferret out what they think is important, when possible. The staff share a strong interest in the company's goal, and having a correction mechanism for someone to be able to go "This was mis-weighted & I'm pretty sure fixing this one thing will make things better if I just had the time" can let off a lot of the tension that builds between harnessed idealism & business pragmatism

Jul 3, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for the review and feedback. I'm glad to see some of the things we're doing are working as designed, and appreciate the feedback and insight into the areas where we can improve. I'm... More

"There is weight behind their words"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Truly a family environment focused on bettering each other while bettering the business. They have a humble attitude while maintaining a strong outlook on the future and are always looking for ways to give out opportunities for growth.
    The programs they have in place for current employees to educate themselves across the business and across the industry is impressive. They have actionable items come out of employee surveys and feedback, it doesn't get lost amongst all the new trends. You truly feel heard in meetings, at All Hands and from the Executives. it's not often within the first 90 days you commonly get asked: "what is your opinion?" "Or what was your experience like at your last place?" They are driven to educate themselves and are open to the fact they don't know everything, often seeking advice from all levels of the company.

I didn't think the industry had such an honest company out there, especially with something like aesthetics but RealSelf is not only transparent to their customers but internally as well. It's a product and group of people that is NEEDED. Companies should look to RealSelf for advice when it comes to not only making their staff happy but making them better as people as well.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons for this company at this stage.

Advice to Management

Keep: Making middle management accountable for their direct reports. Top-down solution managing only works if accountability is fair.