RealSelf Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
RealSelf Founder and CEO Tom Seery
Tom Seery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Frequent social events help maintain work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Dog-friendly (and a keg in the office) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • With a growing company (160 employees and still hiring (in 5 reviews)

• For some, the subject matter can be difficult to get into (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Continually Impressed"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was recently injured and have had limited mobility for the last month or so. From the minute the injury occurred to today, my team and the company in general have gone above and beyond to help me. As I look back on this experience, I find myself forever grateful to work for RealSelf. I have felt this way from the minute I joined and honestly didn't need a reason to like this company any more but this whole ordeal has simply reaffirmed how truly lucky I am. The team allowed me to work from home as needed and provided rides to and from work and doctor visits. They even provided meal delivery service while I was stuck on the couch after surgery! If this injury had happened to me while working at either of my two previous jobs, I likely would have needed to take significant time off of work during the recovery period. RealSelf is truly a special place filled with people who genuinely care for one another. While I hope I never have to go through something like this again, the experience, as a whole, has brought many things to light. In conclusion i'm just so honored to be a part of this great organization!

Cons

The only cons I can think of is that I am no longer able to play on the company soccer team.

2. "It's been a really amazing year"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, dogs, snacks, and people again! Love it here and it's been an amazing first year. I don't want to be anywhere else!

Cons

We're not as consistent as I'd like to be, when it comes to team goals.

Advice to Management

We need more consistency! Would definitely like to see a more unified and transparent approach from execs all the way down the line.

"Weak Engineering, Weaker Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work with a variety of technologies. Coworkers were pretty cool for the most part. Snacks & great benefits. You can get away with putting minimal effort into your work.

Company-wide, the office has great vibes and people are lovely to work with. Many are unhappy, but they are almost always courteous and kind.

Cons

Engineering management is not invested in the growth of their engineers. There is zero vision for the future of the codebase and engineers are encouraged to take shortcuts, write cruft, and never revisit it. If you take any pride in your craft as an engineer, stay away.

High performers are belittled and not given the tools to deliver at a high bar. In the past few months many of the best engineers have quit.

Advice to Management

Start over with engineering management. They have continued to fail to retain high performers, or deliver quality product (look at the website).

"Disconnection Central"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are very nice and quite skilled. The product is unique and there are no direct competitors. The office has some nice amenities.

Cons

Management is pretty poor, they don't always act on their values, so even if they truly agree with you your feedback might not manifest change. It seems like a lot of this is because of disagreement between the department heads. That misalignment bleeds down into all the projects the company takes on, or fails to take on.

For engineers in particular, I caution you to accept an offer until the company re-focuses again. There are a lot of cool internal ideas but none are being acted on for the time being. Recently they've been on a streak of hiring back-end developers and forcing them to work on the front end. Unless you want to just any old job and to write hacky JQuery all day every day, the job will likely feel unfulfilling. Hopefully this changes when management realizes what's required to sustain a solid engineering team.

Advice to Management

Tabling something isn't a resolution and meetings where no decisions get made often end up sending ideas into the void. One loud dissenter shouldn't end ideas. If you're going to retain the talented staff you have left, you need to be less limiting and create less friction between departments. If someone from another department is hounding you for something your org did, do not go on a witch hunt (I'm looking at one person with that one).

"mew"

Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

snacks, benefits, dogs at work, nice work life balance. Some really good leadership and some really not so great leadership.

Cons

I work in sales department. For the most part it is ok, but god forbid you get on the wrong side of your lead, manager, and/or VP. All is good when you have a good month, the minute you have a bad month or two it's all over. Not alot of trust and there have been employees let go for not a great reason other than management decided they didn't like the person.

Advice to Management

consistency....consistency in managers and how people are treated by those managers

RealSelf Response

Sep 22, 2017

It's true that we are a performance-based team and like any sales role, there are minimum requirements to maintain your position. However, it seems we haven't made it clear to you or the team how we... More

"Email Developer"

Former Employee - Email Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Email Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many pros. They don't give you enough time to get up to speed. Too high of expectations and poor management. They need to re-evaluate their structure.

Cons

Management has too high expectations and they do not let you get up to speed in time. For being a company that has been in business for over 10+ years, you'd think they would have their stuff together.... but they don't. Be very cautious accepting a position here

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance to get up to speed. I worked there for only 4 months and wasn't given the proper time to get up to speed and was told I had the wrong job title. I applied for an email developer position, but was told it should have been an automation specialist position, which I didn't have much experience with.

"Nice place to work but needs more job security"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Really nice perks: vacation time, fun activities, food, cool coworkers, a sense of humor is appreciated here, transparency (to a point, but more on that later), good salary (for most positions) and benefits, dog-friendly

Cons

Over the years the company got better with flexibility/remote work, but there is still room for improvement. The main downside of this company though is that they pretend to care about the employees, and for the most part they do, but not as much as they claim. If they really cared, they wouldn't lay off/fire so many people as they've been doing over the past year or so. Not because of performance in most cases, but because they just have no use for people anymore. RealSelf touts all these values but in reality, almost everyone is disposable. I saw it happen several times. I get that the company is an at-will employer (meaning they can get rid of you at any time, for any reason) but the way they go about letting several people go has been really heartless--just like many other companies do that RealSelf claims they're so different from. Either you care, or you don't. Pick one. And then everything is so sugarcoated--either you're transparent, or you're not. Pick one. I'm not the only employee who disapproved of many of RealSelf's decisions to get rid of people. I had a lot of conversations with several coworkers, both at work and outside of work. Convos that were filled with shock and sometimes anger. So anyway, work here--you'll probably enjoy it--but remember in the back of your mind that the loyalty isn't as strong as it pretends to be.

"My review for Realself"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

There are so many pros to working at Realself. Sure you can bring your dog to work and you can have as much kombucha, snacks and sparkling water as your appetite can handle. But what these perks really say to me is that Realself cares about the work environment we come to each day and they are not stingy when it comes to investing back into their people. I also like that the CEO has his desk right on the floor with us, just like the rest of the management team. This lives up to the "one team" core value.

Cons

The subject matter of elective treatments and plastic surgery on our site makes it really awkward to talk to my friends about when I tell them about my work. They get stuck on the idea of plastic surgery and all the perceived fakeness associated with it instead of seeing what we are really doing which is bringing access to better information to a group that is getting very little to no info on this topic. It took me a while to be able to tell anyone where I worked but now I'm very proud to say it since I've seen behind the scenes how much we are helping people make smarter decisions.

Advice to Management

More conference rooms would be helpful. The ones we have are always full.

9. "Best place I've worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I never dread coming into work in the morning. Each day is different, challenging, and my work is constantly changing in the best way. Coming from a completely different industry, the fast paced culture of RealSelf has been refreshing. Our leaders care about our input in the company and I'm constantly surprised by the amount of transparency from executives. I've also found the leadership incredibly approachable. I never feel like I'm "below" them and my thoughts and opinions feel valued. I feel supported by my manager and feel that I have room to grow in my role and within the company.

Benefits here are the best out of anywhere I've worked. Full health/dental/vision premiums covered by RS, 22 days of PTO and 8 holidays, 3% safe harbor 401k, STD/LTD, and gym/transportation reimbursement. I feel taken care of as an employee.

The perks of working here are never ending and always improving. Cold brew, kombucha, and beer/cider on tap. Snacks, espresso, and monthly catered lunches! Pups allowed in the office make the day brighter and the office space itself is bright, open, and modern.

Cons

With a growing company (160 employees and still hiring!) comes a lot of reorganization, including teams shifting and change in reporting structure. I think this change can make employees feel uneasy.

10. "Hidden gem"

Current Employee - Doctor Community Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Doctor Community Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a hidden gem. There aren't many other companies out there that can provide a product that is helping so many people, a fun environment and a management team that is straddling the lines between running a company that listens to its people and one that has standards and high expectations.

I'm on the sales team and I've never been with a company where the sales management invests so much time in their people's success. If I ask for help, my Team Lead, Director and even the VP is always willing to spend time to help me. I have never experienced that with another company. They are sometimes brutally honest about what I need to improve but it is usually what I need to hear. The money is also good if you are making sales. Not a lot of pure cold calling and the ability to have a book of business instead of fighting with others for prospects is a plus.

Oh and the perks of being able to bring your dog to work is obviously so cool and iced coffee and kombucha on tap is not bad either. I don't have a dog so I get my dog fix at work.

Cons

The product is an iterative product so it's always changing and sometimes hard to keep up with knowing what is new. This can be challenging when talking with customers who stumble across new features before you do but I would rather have a product that is improving than one that is not changing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Don't be deterred by complainers