RealSelf Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
RealSelf Founder and CEO Tom Seery
Tom Seery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Frequent social events help maintain work-life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Snacks, dog friendly, flexible hours" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, the company is growing and we're a tad cramped" (in 8 reviews)

• "Con: Company is expanding rapidly and there are definitely some growing pains that hopefully will be addressed as time passes" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"(mostly) Smooth Sailing through Perpetual Growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The item which I joined by remains the same so far & is still the strongest reason I could give to work here: People & the company seem to genuinely care/respect your life outside of work. It might be an offshoot of the company's focus, but there's a recurring feeling of the focus being on people & solving social problems vs. seeing things as process & technology-first.

It never feels like hours-in-seat are the metric people are watching for above all else (the office is a ghost town by 6pm), it's easy enough to work remotely to avoid disruption when you have an appointment or the like, there isn't the same Alpha Macho tone you can see at times in the industry, I see strong support for families...
    Ultimately, it's somewhere I feel like I can work at long-term without constantly worrying that the other shoe is about to drop, and that goes a long ways for letting me just focus on what I'm supposed to be doing.

Also, points for noticing when the company was going to go through a social inflection point from "small & scrappy startup where everybody can know everybody else" to "large enough to need defined roles" and hiring on a team to smooth out that transition. I've seen startups run into a lot of trouble at that point, and this was the smoothest I've ever seen that go.

Cons

Balancing "best practices" vs. immediate benefit is always tricky. Even as much as the company has grown, there's still way more each person/team in Product/Engineering could be doing at any given time than there is space to pick each potential item up. As a result, there's always the tradeoff of "does this move the metrics? If not, what's the tangible value of it?", which while necessary does occasionally leave some longing for "doing things right", so to speak.

The flip side to being focused on social problems & business framing is that tech decisions are very pragmatic. This works well for me, but if you're looking for a space to work on cutting-edge "ML + Blockchain + React" type greenfield projects, you'll probably end up bored.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting in people & giving them space to ferret out what they think is important, when possible. The staff share a strong interest in the company's goal, and having a correction mechanism for someone to be able to go "This was mis-weighted & I'm pretty sure fixing this one thing will make things better if I just had the time" can let off a lot of the tension that builds between harnessed idealism & business pragmatism

2. "There is weight behind their words"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Truly a family environment focused on bettering each other while bettering the business. They have a humble attitude while maintaining a strong outlook on the future and are always looking for ways to give out opportunities for growth.
    The programs they have in place for current employees to educate themselves across the business and across the industry is impressive. They have actionable items come out of employee surveys and feedback, it doesn't get lost amongst all the new trends. You truly feel heard in meetings, at All Hands and from the Executives. it's not often within the first 90 days you commonly get asked: "what is your opinion?" "Or what was your experience like at your last place?" They are driven to educate themselves and are open to the fact they don't know everything, often seeking advice from all levels of the company.

I didn't think the industry had such an honest company out there, especially with something like aesthetics but RealSelf is not only transparent to their customers but internally as well. It's a product and group of people that is NEEDED. Companies should look to RealSelf for advice when it comes to not only making their staff happy but making them better as people as well.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons for this company at this stage.

Advice to Management

Keep: Making middle management accountable for their direct reports. Top-down solution managing only works if accountability is fair.

3. "I felt so valued there."

Current Employee - PDS in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - PDS in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was completely new to my role from a whole other industry. Making that change was terrifying. But RealSelf has an amazing support team and leaders that really want to see you succeed.

Cons

There really aren't any. I never felt more valued.

Advice to Management

Keep asking questions, stay curious, RealSelf is doing everything right.

4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing coworkers: There are so many new faces and everyone continues to be warm & welcoming. There is also a very collaborative environment across teams, which is really refreshing!
    - Benefits: RealSelf offers has always offered great benefits, but I appreciate that the company seems to review them regularly and welcomes feedback from the employees
    - Management: Great management that truly cares about their employees

Cons

As we've grown, it's been hard to have company-wide events. We hired a ton of new employees and while everyone is warm & welcoming, its harder to get to know our peers

5. "Fast paced + Lots to learn = Challenging but rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Many business decisions are made from bottom to up
    - One person can easily make a huge difference in the company
    - Most if not all employees are very friendly and happy to assist regardless of position

Cons

- Neutral: Fast-paced environment can get a little bit too hectic
    - Con: Company is expanding rapidly and there are definitely some growing pains that hopefully will be addressed as time passes

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, listen to your employees and continue to be empathetic towards everyone (especially your consumers!)

RealSelf Response

Mar 12, 2018 – CEO

I agree that you--and your teammates-- have a direct impact on our business and our customers. This is a great stage of a business where you can see a direct line to how you affect the product and... More

"Great company and Awesome People"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There's a clear vision/ direction and I am very optimistic of our growth trajectory. Above all, as I wrap up my work each day, I feel good that I am helping give our customers the confidence to be themselves by providing them with useful information and a great support system.
    - the company, my supervisor and peers are very supportive of my professional development - there's an official system establish to make sure that you get the most out of your time here. They always find time to listen to my thoughts and try to find opportunities in my daily work to help me train in areas I like to develop in.
    - You are always encouraged to think outside the box, there's no such thing as crazy ideas at RealSelf and mistakes are viewed as a learning opportunity.
    - People and their PawPals are very friendly and nice (I love just going around the office asking to pet people's dogs while I take a break).
    - I get to contribute in solving some of the company's most pressing problems and be a part of the solution.
    - Everyone I have worked with has been extremely helpful and more than happy to share their knowledge and expertise with me. Everyday I feel like I learn at least one thing from my peers.
    - The perks are pretty awesome - 401k matching, plenty of PTO, flexibility to working out of the office, great insurance coverage, bringing your dog to work, great working spaces, brand new laptops and a lot more.

Cons

Nothing I can think of right now, it's been an amazing experience so far!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great innovation culture and developing people!

7. "Great people, great benefits"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good people, management that cares about people and their growth

Cons

An open office environment has its down side. But new furniture and “phone booths” to focus have helped

Advice to Management

Please keep the low cost benefits and perks. They make a huge difference

"A Company that makes a true investment in their people - Sales Team"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Over the many years I've been here, I could go on forever on the pros in working at RealSelf.

What I want to call out is the investment we make in our people.
    For the last few years, we continue to raise the bar in what employees are offered in training and support.

Aside from our awesome team and company events that contribute to an incredible culture & reinforce our strong core values, we are also offered training & support in a variety of personal & professional topics:

Self Defense Classes
    Improv Class - To help increase communication both in sales calls & cross functional collaboration
    Mindfullness - Teaching what it means and how to incorporate
    Financial Planning support - What is it and where do we start? (outside of 401k)
    Volunteering - We do something almost quarterly to help both locally & globally
    Yoga - we used to offer yoga in house weekly, though I don't think we do anymore?
    Health coach - On top of our health fair, we've had coaches come in to teach us about health & fitness.
    We even had Spa day where you could sign up for a massage, facial, or manicure.
    Leadership Training: Managers are offered multiple courses in leadership best practices.
    Public Speaking - We had a course on relieving anxiety when speaking in groups (available to anyone in the company, these aren't just offered to sales)

This is just to name a few, but I couldn't be happier to see this investment in people on all levels, on all teams.

Cons

At the rate we're growing I no longer know everyone's name, let alone what everyone does. The good news is, we hire smart people and building big teams to support our aggressive initiatives!

Advice to Management

Don't ever stop investing in people.

I am so proud to work here and can't tell you how valuable the training has been in my growth. Thank you!

RealSelf Response

Jan 18, 2018 – CEO

Many years ago I made the transition that every founder/CEO makes (or should). I moved my center of attention from creating a great product to building a great team. I'm happy I made this change... More

9. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, benefits, dog friendly, transparency, snacks, and even cold brew and kombucha on tap! Just everything!

Cons

Corny, but none. I love everything.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think of is something in the pipeline. More leadership courses and opportunities.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and supportive folks. Lot of drive to be successful but in a very positive way. Monday morning breakfast to meet new hires is always fun and welcome. Dog friendly so low stress in the office. Tom, CEO, is very engaged with the employees.

Cons

None so far. I guess only con would be no free lunch like at other startups but we have plenty of snacks.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! Awesome place to work.