RealSelf Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

4.5
RealSelf CEO James Coyle
James Coyle
Pros
  • "It shows that they want a really good work/life balance for their employees as well as trying to be flexible as they know life happens(in 24 reviews)

• "Snacks, dog friendly, flexible hours(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With quick expansion there are always growing pains and I have high hopes RealSelf continue to work through it well(in 11 reviews)

• "Company is growing so fast it's getting a bit crowded (but that's being taken care of)(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of RealSelf and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Exceptional Product + Exceptional People = A Bright Future

Jul 16, 2020 - Senior Customer Success Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is Curious: In the 5 years I've been at RS, there has always been the mindset of "How can we deliver better value to our consumer audience? What can/should we do differently?" This mindset has been the genesis of new AB testing, creative products and long term growth potential. The day we stop innovating and asking what else, what more or do you think we should...is the day we will fizzle out as a company. I'm so grateful our leadership team stays curious and isn't afraid to try new things. Nibble: When the pandemic hit, our HR team acted quickly to move our entire company 100 % remote. The shift wasn't easy but within a few weeks the entire company found new ways to connect and support each other. We are very lucky to have a HR team who can think on their feet and make the tough calls. Caring: RS has made it their mission to be a company that gives back. From supporting ReSurge International, Camp Karma, local food and clothing drives, ACLU, Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County and the Criminal Law Reform Project. RS isn't the company that focuses on philanthropy work when it's convenient, we focus on this work all of the time because we believe it's the right thing to do.

Cons

Due to the pandemic, RS is in a season of slow career development. That said, there are plans to scale career development back up in 2021.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

This place is a literal unicorn!

May 5, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

After just 6 months at RealSelf, I can truthfully say this place is the real deal. After spending several years at big tech companies, then a couple years at another Seattle-based startup, coming to this company was a HUGE refresher. Top to bottom, there is a highly collaborative environment here, built around empathy and psychological safety. I have never worked for a C-Suite/Executive Leadership team that I've *actually* wanted to emulate before coming here. Also worth noting that the pay and benefits are hyper competitive (and in many cases wayyyy better than any other company I have worked for). Hands down, I LOVE working here.

Cons

So far, no major red flags to call out. Though it's been around for over a decade, RealSelf is still very much a startup and does come with a hefty workload. This is totally manageable though given the environment and culture - if things are too much, dates are too tight, etc., then we're empowered to take whatever course of action is necessary including slipping dates, reducing scope, etc. There is always a healthy option for mitigating an overburdened person here!

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of opportunity but not without some headaches

May 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Meaningful work: RealSelf fulfills a unique need in a field concerning people's health, safety, and well-being. The services and features of RealSelf make a real difference in people's lives. Growth and exploration: I worked on a wide variety of projects during my time at RealSelf and was able to explore various pathways within my skillset—including some very rewarding opportunities. I appreciated having managers who encouraged me to take on projects that interested me and let me take ownership of some big initiatives. Positive work environment: The office is gorgeous and the people are friendly. Even as an individual contributor, I interacted a decent amount with a handful of the executives, and they were all open and approachable.

Cons

Repetitive work: Unfortunately, the nature of RealSelf as a directory of doctors and procedures (and now e-commerce store) makes for a massive website. When changes get made, they have to get made 500-fold. Some projects were massive and drainingly repetitive. Constant change: There was always change happening on so many levels throughout my entire time at RealSelf—both with strategy and people. Direction would change and work would have to get redone again and again. It was unnerving and exhausting. Struggle for strategic alignment: In some cases, it became clear that pivots in direction came from putting the cart before the horse. Work would need to get done before stakeholders determined overarching strategy, and then of course that work wouldn't match the later determined strategic vision. Requests would come from all directions, without consensus from all stakeholders, so key input often came late in the game and made for a lot of wheel-spinning.

4. 5.0

The Real Deal

May 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is a top priority and one of the main attractions I had to the company, in addition to the industry/business. In fact they prioritize hiring for a culture fit over skills, which can be taught. Highly organized onboarding process, which is key when working 100% remote They live and breathe what they 'sell you' in the interview process A great fit for someone that is ready to roll up their sleeves and do big things and be an agent of change Leaders are engaged, invested, passionate (about their people/family and the biz) and all around good people with a wealth of experience across big and small organizations

Cons

Nothing at this time n/a

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

I highly recommend working at RealSelf!

Apr 21, 2021 - Connect Assistant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a wonderful experience at RealSelf and being part of the Connect Team. Everyone is genuinely kind and always willing to help you. There is a great work/life balance at the company. RealSelf provides a great on-boarding/training experience (even in the middle of a pandemic) so I felt completely prepared and I knew exactly what was expected of me. My direct managers were incredibly supportive and created a positive work environment. They took interest in my progress and were always transparent with me about great work I was doing, and what areas could be improved.

Cons

The Connect Assistant position isn't a forever role. It's up to you to work hard and ask about areas for growth within the company. RealSelf is a fast moving environment and that can be overwhelming. But, if you enjoy a company that keeps you on your toes this is the place for you.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, coworkers, management, and benefits

May 2, 2021 - Connect Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

RealSelf is a company that really cares about its employees as much as they care about their consumers. From the on-boarding process to training, they set you up for success right from the beginning. RS offers a great work environment in addition to their amazing benefits and support in your career development.

Cons

I don't think I've worked here long enough to know of any cons but my experience at RS has been amazing so far.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

If you like high school drama, this is the place for you.

Feb 8, 2021 - Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work from home is done in a healthy way. Lots of communication each week. The product is unique and helpful to those who use it. The health benefits are excellent. There is a higher gender balance than in most companies. Many women in leadership.

Cons

The executive team is a joke at this company. Unless you are in their inside group of where they've previously worked, forget being heard or taken seriously. The CEO, vice presidents and other senior leaders say they like feedback and that they listen but if you challenge their way of thinking or if you have an opposing thought, you are dismissed, disregarded, or made to feel as if your opinion doesn't matter. It's like a high school click that only likes you if you're like them or think exactly like them. Its the stereotypical bro club except women are included if the bros like you. The company is not focused on the customer at all, they just want to make money and sales and are only going for the short term gains and not sustainability. People are scared to say anything because they will be seen as combative and they are also afraid to give anonymous feedback because people who give anonymous feedback are mocked and seen as cowards behind management doors. It's a lose-lose scenario for sustaining growth. They are in denial about the state of their union, unless you are in the bro club. Then you're golden.

6 people found this review helpful

RealSelf Response

Chief Operating Officer

Well that review is a bummer. I am disappointed to hear this feedback as it’s counter to most of our glassdoor reviews and also our recent engagement survey. If you are comfortable, I’d appreciate it if you could drop me/anyone/HR a slack to discuss your feedback so we can have a conversation about it. Best, James

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Humility in Leadership Makes This a Great Place to Work

Nov 25, 2020 - Worked In Multiple Roles
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Leaders really put people first. They aren't afraid to admit mistakes and are very transparent in front of the whole company. 2. The HR team is amazing and really supportive to both employees and managers. 3. The level of people at this company is very, very high. Everyone you meet is helpful and thoughtful and they will push you to be a better human. 4. RealSelf trains leaders. If you are looking for a place to advance your career, this is it. if you work hard and drive impact, you WILL be recognized. I worked at several larger companies before this and RealSelf outclassed ALL of them in recognition. 5. The leadership learns and reflects. I didn't know I was looking for this when I started, but once I realized that's what made this special, I'll always look for it. You avoid grandeur in leaders which is very costly and this causes everyone to get smarter over time.

Cons

1. Working cross-functionally used to be really hard, but has gotten easier over the years. Fiefdoms don't really exist here, but you might have to reach a bit to work with multiple groups.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Benefits, Culture, and People

Oct 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is really great. I haven't experienced any tension or issues within and between teams. Communication between teams is seamless. Everyone is so kind to each other and respectful. I have never felt disrespected or had anyone be condescending to me, and if I were to experience this, I would feel comfortable sharing this with anyone at RS and I know they would take care of it. The medical/dental benefits are also good, as well as the flexibility with working from home. I've never had a problem requesting time off or with working my work schedule around appointments and other things in my personal life. Many other small amenities as well! For instance, there is a health clinic every year where we have the ability to get discounted treatments. I have felt appreciated here, and have learned and am learning so much! They really give you the opportunity to try new things as well as learn as much as possible. From my time here, I am confident in my ability to do many things and use many different products that can translate over to many different jobs. The company also has very exciting goals and aspirations. I see great things happening in RealSelf's future which you will want to be around for.

Cons

Career development (promotions and raises) can be a bit slow. Covid also probably as contributed to this. Pay seems lower than other companies for similar positions, however, all of the pros make it enough to stay. However, pay is a big con for me here if I am going to be honest.

4 people found this review helpful

RealSelf Response

Chief Operating Officer

I appreciate how thoughtful and thorough this review is, as it touches on so many aspects that I believe make RealSelf a great place to work. I am excited about what is happening right now as well and what is to come over the next 2- 3 years. There is a lot of energy behind all of the work we are doing and I truly believe that we are one team and as you state, everyone contributes to our success. Thank you for sticking it out with us, since you note that pay is something that is very important to you, please reach out to me, your manager or HR and let’s discuss your thoughts. We can share how we look at pay across the greater teams and dig into your role a little deeper. We do look at pay and promos quarterly and have our annual merit increases every February. In fact we promoted 10% of our company in Q3 and are currently reviewing promotions for Q4. I am so happy to hear that you have the opportunity to try new things. Keep trying new things and being innovative, that is what will truly make us successful! Best, James

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Proud to work here

Nov 10, 2020 - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

RealSelf has been my professional home for a little over a year. I have to confess that this is my favorite job thus far in my 20-year career. I'm a part of a high-contributing team, my co-workers are genuine partners and I feel my work is valued and appreciated. RealSelf is an ever-curious company that never stops evolving, learning, and growing. As a culture, we are always thinking about ways to improve the experience for our consumers. We embrace challenges and evolve quickly. Our collective adaptability and appreciation for creative problem solving are among the things I am most excited about when I think about why I love my job so much. Leadership is another strength at RealSelf. Goals and direction are clear and set with purpose. You will never find yourself wondering what needs to be prioritized because good communication is a strong value for the company. Our C-Suite houses some of the best minds in the business and they are accessible to absolutely everyone. This is an environment where you can really learn from those around you.

Cons

While I do not see it as a con, I think it's fair to acknowledge that success at RealSelf requires an ability to work through influence and a willingness to roll up your sleeves. It's a smaller-sized company and you may find yourself playing multiple roles to accomplish a goal. Pay is also not always at the top tier of the market, which can make recruiting more challenging if you are a hiring manager.

1 person found this review helpful