RealSelf Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
RealSelf Founder and CEO Tom Seery
Tom Seery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Frequent social events help maintain work-life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Snacks, dog friendly, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the company is growing and we're a tad cramped (in 8 reviews)

• Pioneer Square location (after hours), some growing pains/culture risk (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Company that makes a true investment in their people - Sales Team"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Over the many years I've been here, I could go on forever on the pros in working at RealSelf.

What I want to call out is the investment we make in our people.
    For the last few years, we continue to raise the bar in what employees are offered in training and support.

Aside from our awesome team and company events that contribute to an incredible culture & reinforce our strong core values, we are also offered training & support in a variety of personal & professional topics:

Self Defense Classes
    Improv Class - To help increase communication both in sales calls & cross functional collaboration
    Mindfullness - Teaching what it means and how to incorporate
    Financial Planning support - What is it and where do we start? (outside of 401k)
    Volunteering - We do something almost quarterly to help both locally & globally
    Yoga - we used to offer yoga in house weekly, though I don't think we do anymore?
    Health coach - On top of our health fair, we've had coaches come in to teach us about health & fitness.
    We even had Spa day where you could sign up for a massage, facial, or manicure.
    Leadership Training: Managers are offered multiple courses in leadership best practices.
    Public Speaking - We had a course on relieving anxiety when speaking in groups (available to anyone in the company, these aren't just offered to sales)

This is just to name a few, but I couldn't be happier to see this investment in people on all levels, on all teams.

Cons

At the rate we're growing I no longer know everyone's name, let alone what everyone does. The good news is, we hire smart people and building big teams to support our aggressive initiatives!

Advice to Management

Don't ever stop investing in people.

I am so proud to work here and can't tell you how valuable the training has been in my growth. Thank you!

RealSelf Response

Jan 18, 2018 – CEO

Many years ago I made the transition that every founder/CEO makes (or should). I moved my center of attention from creating a great product to building a great team. I'm happy I made this change... More

2. "Great company and Awesome People"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There's a clear vision/ direction and I am very optimistic of our growth trajectory. Above all, as I wrap up my work each day, I feel good that I am helping give our customers the confidence to be themselves by providing them with useful information and a great support system.
    - the company, my supervisor and peers are very supportive of my professional development - there's an official system establish to make sure that you get the most out of your time here. They always find time to listen to my thoughts and try to find opportunities in my daily work to help me train in areas I like to develop in.
    - You are always encouraged to think outside the box, there's no such thing as crazy ideas at RealSelf and mistakes are viewed as a learning opportunity.
    - People and their PawPals are very friendly and nice (I love just going around the office asking to pet people's dogs while I take a break).
    - I get to contribute in solving some of the company's most pressing problems and be a part of the solution.
    - Everyone I have worked with has been extremely helpful and more than happy to share their knowledge and expertise with me. Everyday I feel like I learn at least one thing from my peers.
    - The perks are pretty awesome - 401k matching, plenty of PTO, flexibility to working out of the office, great insurance coverage, bringing your dog to work, great working spaces, brand new laptops and a lot more.

Cons

Nothing I can think of right now, it's been an amazing experience so far!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great innovation culture and developing people!

3. "Great people, great benefits"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good people, management that cares about people and their growth

Cons

An open office environment has its down side. But new furniture and “phone booths” to focus have helped

Advice to Management

Please keep the low cost benefits and perks. They make a huge difference

4. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, benefits, dog friendly, transparency, snacks, and even cold brew and kombucha on tap! Just everything!

Cons

Corny, but none. I love everything.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can think of is something in the pipeline. More leadership courses and opportunities.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and supportive folks. Lot of drive to be successful but in a very positive way. Monday morning breakfast to meet new hires is always fun and welcome. Dog friendly so low stress in the office. Tom, CEO, is very engaged with the employees.

Cons

None so far. I guess only con would be no free lunch like at other startups but we have plenty of snacks.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing! Awesome place to work.

6. "Wonderful place to work"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere in the office is very buttoned down, but people work hard and effectively. The company practices what it preaches and it feels like everyone genuinely believes in the mission. Location is great, snacks and other office amenities are wonderful. Co-workers smart and capable, and everything moves pretty quickly (in a good way)

Cons

Company is growing so fast it's getting a bit crowded (but that's being taken care of)

"Sr. Director, Sales"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic positive attitudes, professionalism, and team dynamic. Everyone is willing to help if asked, even if it's a bit outside of their core focus. RS is in the upward growth curve stage -- there seems like a ton of upward mobility for everyone who works hard.

Cons

Only 6 kegs on tap at any given time? :)

"Weak engineering and product; good work-life balance"

I have been working at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Good user growth and progress towards set goals
    Good culture; a variety of activities throughout the year; feels like a lively atmosphere

Cons

The dev work is not challenging; it is mostly making front-end changes to increase conversion. There is not much learning after a few sprints.

"Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Connect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Connect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good, Benefits and Perks are great, free food/snacks/drinks, you get a very generous PTO package and Holiday package. My favorite thing about working here is the work/life balance which is something that most companies struggle with, they are great especially if you have a family. The atmosphere here is great and everybody is so nice and genuine. Stress level working here is very low. The CEO is very interpersonal and you can tell he genuinely cares about the employees here, really a great guy.

Cons

Really trying hard to think if there are any cons and I can't think of any. I guess just as any startup things change a lot and can get a little hectic with the company growing so fast, but the HR and People Team really do a great job making it as easy as possible and comfortable for people.

Advice to Management

Thanks for truly caring, really makes a huge difference

"Conniving Management"

Pros

Coworkers are easily the best part of this company. The benefits are great, and the smaller company events that happen are also great.

Cons

The management is terrible, and most employees feel they have no job security. Which is true, as once every week or two, a message would be sent through Slack stating that it was someone's last day. They kill off departments that are vital, each manager has their own agenda to heighten their career here, and the employees are used as pawns.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees, be honest about movement or future plans, and keep yourself in check.