Red Nova Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 6, 2017

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Red Nova Labs

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Red Nova Labs in February 2017.

Interview

The process was generally professional and fast. There were two rounds of interviews. The first round was with a Senior Software Developer and their CEO, and it was a mix between behavioral and some knowledge-based technical questions, touching the surface of projects, web technologies, data structures, and algorithms. The second round was their CTO and it was a little more in-depth than first round but wasn't difficult. Just know you stuff and you'll be good.
    We moved forward quickly and they extended an offer a day after the second round of interview. We agreed that I will have two weeks to accept the offer, but the next week they sent an email saying they found another candidate, and thus my offer letter was invalidated - even though the offer letter's deadline explicitly said it was due in two weeks. I personally have never experienced things like this. While it is perfectly legal to do, I doubt it is really ethical/professional to rescind offers like this.

Interview Questions

• ReSTful services, list, database index, etc. Full Stack stuff.   Answer Question

Red Nova Labs Response

Mar 9, 2017 – Director of Marketing

Thanks for your feedback. While this is not a typical situation, we allowed two weeks for an offer response with the understanding we'd continue looking based on our immediate need to fill the role... More

Software Development Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Red Nova Labs.

Interview

I meet with the CEO. The interview was brief and friendly. Next I met some of the developers in a group setting - to see if I "fit". Its my opinion that this interview was a waste of time. They are not searching for a qualified candidate. Rather someone who fits in, in spite or her/his qualifications. The job has been open since last summer, they have interviewed countless candidates and not found anyone to their liking. Unless your personality is amazing and you do not come across as an actual manager but as a group therapist don't bother wasting your time.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Red Nova Labs (Westwood, KS).

Interview

This company centers most of their business around the self-storage industry. Not exactly exciting, but at least project development would be a little more predictable day-to-day.

Although they do some PHP development, unfortunately this company uses a lot of Ruby. From the TIOBE index and from the PYPL (Popularity of Programming Language Index) you can see from 2009 Ruby has been in a nose dive. Obviously Ruby is quickly falling out of favor by developers. Pro-Ruby shops are a big turnoff for me as a seasoned programmer.

The culture on this inside was just a bunch of long tables thrown into the center of a room with everyone uncomfortably cramped around them. In reality, cubical-free doesn't mean more creative collaboration, it just means they only want to save space and money by not providing nice offices and nice desks. Everyone's legs and height are different and everyone needs a different desk height and chair height to properly accommodate safe posture. Isn't it interesting that you don't see any office executives working off of old schools desks; you see them working in a nice office, nice chair, and a nice desk with a door for occasional privacy and concentration. Having to be hunched-over a long table all day was another big turnoff.

Interview Questions

• If you are applying for a programming position be prepared to take a fairly hard (and strangely abstract) one hour written test, and also be prepared to write out functions and create programs from memory.   Answer Question

Chief Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westwood, KS

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Red Nova Labs (Westwood, KS) in May 2009.

Interview

Very casual. The company considers a matrix of work ethic, cultural fit and skillset. The interview process can seem very fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants but be wise; they know what they're looking for.

Interview Questions

• Some of the more key roles - in sales mgmt or product dev - are quizzed on economic or math bases. In fact, the eng roles are safeguarded by a comprehensive testing system that takes cues from Google.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations at Red Nova Labs require an up-front number. The company bases its compensation figures on opportunistic value (what were you worth here, what would you be worth there) so you should be prepared to walk in with a "I make this, I want to earn this." Put a number on yourself and be prepared for evaluations of commitment.