Redbox Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in July 2009.

Interview

Redbox wants everyone to weigh in on the interviewee. Employees from several departments, whether you would interact during work or not, gets to interview the potential candidate to see if they would be a good fit for the company. A mix of people from your department as well as from other departments conducts panel interview. I personally had 5 different panel interviews over several days, typically taking 30-45 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one similar business model to Redbox and tell me what you would change about it?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a time when you've had to negotiate and what were the results?   Answer Question

Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Redbox (Chicago, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Not too bad, it was panel interview with some of the Leadership Team. I never felt nervous, I just tried to pay close attention to the questions and situations presented so that I could respond appropriately. Overall I felt very comfortable with the all the leaders that participated in the panel interview.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

Found the job and applied on LinkedIn. HR was very nice and receptive. Started with a brief phone screen and then a basic remote coding test where a current employee watched me code through screen sharing. Finally a face to face in the office with several developers and managers.

Interview Questions

• How many people flew out of Chicago last year?   66 Answers

Negotiation

Really didn't negotiate as the offer was better than I had expected.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from redbox about some newly opened software development positions on the client team. This particular team is responsible for all the software that runs on the actual redbox boxes across the country. During this time I was actively interviewing with other companies in various stages of interview processes and made the redbox recruiter aware of my time constraint considering I may be getting other offers soon. I was scheduled to do an on-site interview soon after.

To the interview I wore a suit although it became apparent after walking through the office to the interview destination that the office culture was extremely casual in terms of dress and, in hindsight, overall, which was extremely relieving to me as I'd just come from the stiff and formal financial sector culture of my previous position.

I first met with the VP of software who had me describe my previous projects in great detail, asking me to whiteboard their architecture, high level UML diagrams of workflow between systems. He then asked me some technical questions, mostly high level and related to RESTful web services. After I spoke with him, the two most senior members of the client team came in. They asked for a brief summary of my previous work and since I'd already outlined my most complicated project on the whiteboard in the interview with the VP that portion was brief. I was then asked to look at a printout of some C# code with LINQ, to walk through it line by line and note the values of variables as the code progressed. The only gotcha there was the nature of LINQs deferred evaluation. After the tech screen they asked me why I wanted to work there and why what made me an ideal candidate. I didn't name salary until the very end, in the interest of negotiation.

I felt the interview went well and sure enough on the drive home the recruiter called me and said that they were interested in hiring me, interested enough that they wanted to negotiate salary right now. I wont go into figures, but I will say that they were very accommodating to the upper limit of my range without much fuss at all. I verbally accepted the offer, was emailed the offer letter and benefits packaged, signed, and started 2 weeks later.

The day I started I was shown to my desk near the rest of the team, all of whom were happy to see me, they were very inviting. The team was small, 6-7 people, and communication was open, I really couldn't have asked for a better team, skill wise and also personality wise. Coming in to work in the morning never seemed like a drag, and the team communicated on a highly technical and also personally human level.

I received brand new hardware that very day by delivery. I wont go into the specs, but I will say they were maxed out were it counts for dev, brand new dual LCDs too. The company at the time was doing quite well in the market and they did seem grateful about it accomodating us with hardware, events, benefits and perks.

The system is complicated, it took a good 6 months to really feel comfortable with it and about a year to become expert.

Great company, my only real qualm was the amount of contractors they would hire and the turnaround rate for them. It made it so that the FTEs constantly had to train them, and once they'd become proficient they left and we had to retrain. I believe one of the senior management staff responsible for these decisions had recently left, so it may be better now in that respect.

Interview Questions

• This is a Microsoft shop, MSDN licenses and all, so expect a lot of .NET Framework questions, the only point that caught me up was when I was asked to manually evaluated some variables assigned to LINQ statements, which uses the concept of deferred execution so although the LINQ statements may change, their return value may not actually change until a it's absolutely necessary for the statement to be executed, google it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

lasted only a few hours and the upper limit of my range was met without much hassle, one of the easiest negotiations I've been through.

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

HR reached out to me and we scheduled a phone interview for later that day. She never called! I called her after twenty mins went by and she didn't answer but she immediately emailed me saying she couldn't speak at the moment because she was on the phone. Wth?! So I sent her some times I was available and she never responded. I followed up two days later and till this day..... no response! Don't contact me if you're just going to get my hopes up! Very unprofessional!

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Redbox.

Interview

4 part interview.
    1. Phone interview with HR
    2. Phone interview with a member of the team
    3. Analytics test - You are provided one hour to complete an analysis and create a presentation using data that they will supply.
    4. On site interview - 5 hour interview process with the entire team and other business units.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine where a movie will be most succesful from a rental stand point?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in April 2012.

Interview

Started with a quick phone interview, followed by two in-person interviews. The final round interview included a couple case interviews but it was mostly fit and experience questions. People were friendly overall though and it wasn't too high-stress of an environment. I really got to know the team and the type of work through the interview process.

Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Redbox (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

very long process. First 3 phone screens, then face to face with ROS and possibly RM. Then background check that sometimes takes 3 weeks. After passing urine test for drugs paperwork is completed. Usually takes a total of about 2 to 3 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation at all. Pay was offered accept it or move on.

Test Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in February 2010.

Interview

the interview process is usually a panel interview and has a member of many cross teams participating. Technical and also focusses on the personality aspects and team player.
    The interviewer team makes you comfortable, expresses their opinions upfront, they usually show around the office space that will give us an idea of placements and desk space and work culture a little. More people oriented. the over all attempt is to look for can do attitude.

Interview Questions

• Not much difficult if you have been in the job doing the various tasks, its pretty normal   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Redbox (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

As a contractor, the interview process is much less rigorous than it is for employees. Generally you will have a phone interview with a manager, then have a group interview with your team, then possibly an additional face to face with your manager.

You may be asked a tricky scenario that you will have to analyze on the spot using a white board. It may be technical or non-technical to demonstrate your analytical skills.

Interview Questions

• Really nothing too unexpected. Primarily they are looking to make sure you fit in with the culture of the team. If they are command and control team they want a very structured person, if the team is more dynamic they are looking for someone that can be autonomous and deal with a more unstructured team. You will need to feel out the team to see if it's a good fit for you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I worked thru a sub-contractor. I was able to negotiate a few more dollars regarding my hourly rate than what was initially presented.