Relativity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Relativity Interview Questions

Interviews at Relativity

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Relativity.

Interview

A basic video interview with white boarded questions and then then coded in a language of my choice. The interviewer was genuine and willing to help me learn as I was coding. Overall a very relaxed interviewing style as I worded through the problems as they were given to me.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in March 2020.

Interview

Format of the interview: all digital due to current health concerns.

Overall:
    -The recruiter was pretty cool. He really pushed you for success.
    -The first coding portion was relaxed. He gears you to the right direction.
    -The system design interviewer was really engaging. I asked if system design would be something the position I applied for would be doing. He said no.
    -The second coding interview portion wasn't as engaging as the first. It felt as if the dev didn't want to be there.
    -The behavioral portion felt scripted, but was an okay experience.

In depth of what I went through:

1.) Phone screening 15-30 min call
        a.) Talk about resume and who you are.
        b.) Explain a project.
        c.) Why you're leaving your current position.
    2.) 5 question hackerrank 2.5 hour time limit.
        a.) 1-3 leetcode style coding
            i.) String manipulation problem
            ii.) makes sure you can read directions and code the problem
            iii.) Involving a stack. this <<>>{} question
        b.) subjective question
        c.) object oriented programming (has no test cases)
    2.5.) Heads up of the onsite 5 min call
    3.) Onsite split to 5 sessions 3.5 hour
        a.) Coding
            i.) how to prevent multiple transactions in one: threading and locks
            ii.) working with API
            iii.) some sql
        b.) System Design (challenging)
        c.) Another Coding (easier)
            i.) data structure
            ii.) 2d Array cell class of dead or alive. if 3 neighbors cells are alive then set that cell to alive. if 2 or 3 neighbors dead then set that cell to dead.
            iii.) OOP - writing a class that flips the logic of the if statement from ii
        d.) Behavioral
            i.) a bunch of behavioral questions read from a list of questions.
            ii.) questions on previous experience
        e.) debriefing
            i.) thoughts on the interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in February 2020.

Interview

I applied online and heard back a few days later for a phone call with the hiring manager. Then, I had a technical interview with one of the engineers. Lastly, I was flown out to Chicago for an onsite interview which consisted of another technical interview and a behavioral interview, both with two senior engineers. They focused a lot on object oriented programming rather than leetcode style data structures and algorithm questions, which I was happy about. This was my first internship interview ever and I'm happy to have accepted the offer! My recruiter was also extremely kind and was quick to answer any of my questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

3 stages, 2 tech, 1 behavioral . 2 of them were at home, the last one in chicago. Meet with differnt memebrs from the taem to go over techincal stuff. Then got a tour of the office

Interview Questions

• Basic Behavioral, CS design Qs   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

Heard back about 2 weeks after I applied. Started off with a phone interview. A few days later, I completed the HackerRank assessment (tip: practice the Hackerrank interview questions because Relativity asks some very similar questions). The day after the I turned in my HackRank assessment, I was invited to fly out to interview in person. The in-person interview had 3 components: an HR part , a technical part (if you know basic inheritance and abstraction and polymorphism and OOP, you'll do grandly), and then a tour part. I heard back the next week I was rejected. If you are rejected they give you feedback from your interviewers.

The HR person was sort of weird and based on the feedback I received after I was rejected, I think they was why I wasn't chosen. I felt like the HR person's feedback may have been meant for someone else, because it didn't reflect what I recall happening. I tried to inquire about this but to no avail.
    The in-person technical assessment was ok, but the directions are all given orally (you can't read any instructions, so you have to take notes on the whiteboard). You can ask for directions to be repeated though. Unfortunately, the problem was super, super vague. I kept asking questions to clarify the extreme vagueness, and rather than value my desire for precision and thorough understanding, the interviewer got very very annoyed at me and chose to claim write that I had weak OOP skills.

One part that really, really bothered me was that I was visiting from a totally different geographic location and was unfamiliar with Chicago and Chicago winter weather and had to fly-in the night before, yet no one asked anything about how I was, what I had been up to in the city (which is a very telling interview question), etc. I honestly feel that the security people in the lobby, and the nearby baristas, and other Chicagoans I spoke to were far more concerned about my well-being than anyone at Relativity was, which frankly I found really concerning.

In terms of preparing, do hackerranks for the online technical assessment, and practice inheritance, polymorphism, abstraction, OOP in the language of your choice for the in-person part. Practice whiteboarding for the in-person part.

Interview Questions

Relativity Response

Jul 10, 2020 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback around our interview process. I apologize on behalf of our team that you did not have a more positive experience while interviewing at Relativity. Our goal is for all candidates to feel welcome and comfortable during the entire interview process, especially when on-site at our offices. Regarding interview feedback for those candidates who do not receive an offer, we try to be as helpful and informative as possible so that the interview still serves as a learning experience for all. I will pass your feedback directly to our Talent Acquisition teams to ensure that they continue to provide the proper feedback to candidates and encourage our hiring managers/interview facilitators to be more welcoming and engaging. – Matt Garvey, Global Director, Talent Acquisition, Employer Brand and Executive Search

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied online and got an email within a few days for a phone interview. I was then offered a technical interview after that. The person administering the technical interview was not very responsive but helped during the interview. The company had a very quick response time from the team.

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in December 2019.

Interview

Phone call about background experience with more info about the role followed by a standard hackerrank interview and then onsite interview. Pending onsite right now so not much details about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in December 2019.

Interview

Started primarily with a phone interview that was scheduled via email. After, moved on to a coding test on object oriented code via computer. Interviewers were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Properly declare a class in C++ (you can choose language) with methods . Class name is Book. You must sort through a list of books and order them according to their needs. In my case alphabetical order.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Relativity (Chicago, IL) in November 2019.

Interview

2 Part Interview, I talked to the recruiter at a career fair, who followed up with me a couple weeks later with a technical video interview. This was then followed up with a 2 hour behavioral/technical onsite interview. Offer came in the next day.

Interview Questions

• Implement a Chef Robot class that can deal with cooking meals.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Relativity.

Interview

Phone interview was everything you’d expect. Interviewer was kind and asked your standard “what are you looking for in a job?”

Video Interview process took almost a week to set up because the team was “busy” and couldn’t work with my schedule. But it felt more like a lightning round of questions for A+ certification ( which wasn’t in the initial role description) the interviewers did not hide their annoyance well either (when hiring for a customer support role, understand that your candidates can often read your body language and that eye rolls are visible on camera.)