Renovate America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Renovate America

2.6

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Renovate America (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Early phone interviews went great. Interest was high, and I was asked to come in for a group in-person interview. Excited, I prepared for the interview and went to their office at the appointed time. I was told parking might be tight, but any spot marked "visitor" would be fine. Unfortunately, there was simply ZERO parking anywhere within two blocks of the office. I drove around everywhere, and even street parking was unavailable. Finally found a spot almost three blocks away, and started the hike up the hill. Arriving at the proper time, I waited 10 minutes before someone showed up to get me. It wasn't the designated contact, but someone else who told me "he's busy and will be with us soon."

I was taken to the assigned conference room, where it was found to be occupied by a group in the middle of a meeting. They wouldn't leave, and the interviewer said that this happens fairly frequently. After searching for a bit, they decided to take me to the employee lunchroom (??). We found a table mid-room, amongst all the noise and traffic and food, and the interview began. My assigned contact (presumably the hiring manager) left after five minutes when a friend came by and interrupted. He NEVER returned for the rest of the interview, which left me wondering how he could have come to a conclusion about my fit. I maybe answered one question for him, and that was the extent of my discussions with this person.

Anyhow, the other panelists (four other managers and a director) continued the interview. Questions weren't very probing; pretty much usual fare. The whole interview in the lunchroom lasted maybe 35-40 minutes top. I figured this was an initial meet-n-greet exploratory interview, so I didn't ask if they had any other questions. I was escorted out.

Post interview:

Despite asking via email several times, I could not get a status update from anyone in the recruiting department. "The team is really busy," or "So and so is out today" and etc. Eventually, after almost two months, I simply emailed them and asked if I was no longer in consideration. I just wanted to close the loop. A call back the next day told me that they had better candidates to consider.

Honestly, for a company that's supposed to be hiring a ton of folks, and needing help bad, they certainly didn't sound like they were in a hurry. It was chaotic, haphazard and at times, simply felt rude and insulting. Who holds interviews in lunch rooms, for 30 minutes, and calls that comprehensive enough to make a determination on a hire? Sad. Unfortunately, I don't think I was the only candidate having interviews in the lunchroom.

Make of this what you will. Ask yourself if you want to work for a company that doesn't spend the time to get to know a candidate. Ask if you think it's cool to interview in the lunchroom. Ask if you want to be just another cog in the works. Read the other reviews here and make your own conclusion.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about what I knew of the company, the HERO program, PACE, etc. Very proud of where they are in the industry.   1 Answer

Channel Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Renovate America (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume directly to the company on their website, about a week later I received an email asking to set up a phone interview. This was the standard screening interview. Not really based on my experience more focused on my personality. That afternoon I was called and invited to an in person interview the next day. This was on a Tuesday, Thursday of the following week I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make a quick decision and the outcome   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered more than I was currently making so I accepted their offer without even trying to negotiate.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Renovate America (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Got a call from the recruiter early in the morning, as she was located in the mid-west. Wasn't sure if they were a third-party or not, but she was very responsive and the process seemed streamlined. There was one screening call, then an e-mail was sent with specific instructions and interview detail prior to the in-person interview. In-person interviews were scheduled for the following week for a few hours with 3 different people.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your analysis made a difference in a company's decision.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Renovate America.

Interview

Very basic interview process, outlining what I had accomplished during school, and what I expect to get out of the internship. I was referred by an employee, therefore I was able to bypass certain interview protocols.

Interview Questions

• How can you be a beneficial individual in our department, working with senior executives, and providing your own ideas and opinions on the subject matter?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Renovate America in October 2015.

Interview

Wierdiest experience ever! This compnay seems to be in chaos. I tried several times to set up an interview, after being recruited. After a few attempts with one recruiter, who suddenly stopped contacting me, I got a message she was no longer with the company. I emailed back and forth with another recruiter of possible dates. I picked a date and time, and she never responded. When that date and time passed, I got a system generated message that my resume was rejected and they were perusing more qualified candidates! LOL! What a joke! Doyou think a phone call would be a more effective means of communication to secure interviews?

Interview Questions

• RA: What date and time works for you? we have Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday at 3pm.
      Me: Wednesday work for me.
      RA: crickets, crickets. ..   1 Answer

Information Technology Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Renovate America in November 2015.

Interview

Recruiter missed our scheduled call time. After I contacted him via email, he called me 20 min late. He spent most of our brief call talking TO me rather than asking questions, and asked no significant questions about my experience or skills. At the end, he admitted he didn't have my resume.

Very frustrating - RA looks like a fantastic place to work, but the hiring practice seems to be broken. Right now, which recruiter you happen to land appears to be a better indication of landing a full interview than your qualifications.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Renovate America.

Interview

A very young engineer was trying to prove that he is better than me during the interview. The hiring manager did not make any eye contact with me during the hiring process. However, I had to accept the offer to feed my family! As it sounded like a startup going wild. lessons well learnt —What quacks like a duck is always a duck.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Renovate America (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

They don't pay much. Decided to go just to refresh my interviewing skills. Initially a phone interview with some very basic technical questions. Then, in person interview was kind of weird. Seems like they already decided in a favor of a someone else. Not a single technical question. In that case there is always a someone else who talks better.
    Waste of time - theirs and mine.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about my current position.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Renovate America in November 2015.

Interview

The job fair was well organized and they hire right away. It was nice to quickly hear back from a company after interviewing with them. More companies need to adopt this hiring model.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Renovate America (San Diego, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I went to the job fair. It was incredible! They had 3 cheese plates... It was like they knew I was coming! I was nervous as before any job interview. And I sat down with three managers and it was INCREDIBLE. The manager's connected with me on a personal level and I was immediately intrigued with the potential to work here.

Interview Questions

• After outlining the different positions, they asked which one sounded the best to me... It was very unique.   1 Answer
    • They asked what motivated me.They asked about my hobbies.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pretty straight forward. Very simplistic.