Rice University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rice University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.9

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

Online application with resume and cover letter. Then a phone interview and then in person group interview with the entire office about two weeks later. In person interview was very extensive and can't even remember all of the questions that they asked me.

Interview Questions

• What is most important in a job, when have you had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Interview

You submit and application online and depending on the department, will be contacted by a faculty member. I had a skype interview with my advisor. I basically described my research I completed during undergrad and asked about what I would be working on in graduate school. I was assigned to the faculty member that interviewed me but some departments offer a rotational program.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

At the beginning, things seemed organized and clear cut. I was told there would be three steps: the initial phone screen, a group interview with the team, and then another group interview with leaders. The time between my first group interview and the last interview with the leaders seemed a bit long. It was a little over two weeks from each other. I thought the leader interview went well (except I was interrupted quite a bit by the managing director and I didn't get to fully answer certain questions that were asked. He also checked his phone quite a bit) but then I got an email three business days later asking if I could come in to answer some additional questions. This raised some concerns with me, as I was originally told there would only be two in person interviews. I also wasn't sure what to make of the meeting. Was it another interview? An informal meeting? What should I wear? I chose to get dressed up again even though I don't exactly have three different interview outfits nor the money to for a third right now since I am technically unemployed and working part time as a freelancer. I ended up getting a job offer the day before we met, so instead of canceling the meeting (or interview) completely, I sent an email asking if they had a time frame in mind on when they want to make a decision by, as I just received a job offer and only have three business days to reply to it. She emailed me letting me know I was a top candidate and that she was hoping to have an answer "very soon". It was vague enough to try to keep me interested in the opportunity. Then she called me and left me voice mail asking if she could go ahead and check my references and do the employment check. She also said I was in the top two of candidates. She has another interview scheduled on Friday afternoon. She also sent me a follow up email. I replied saying it was fine. Apparently she didn't have one of my employer's contact information, so I happily sent it over. I get dressed up, prepare additional questions and go into the office for the third time. As I was waiting in the lobby, someone's lunch was delivered by Jimmy Johns, and the guy who spoke to the delivery driver was a bit rude to him. Not really a great impression and one of the guy's who interviewed me before walked in and didn't really acknowledge me (also seemed a bit rude). Anyway, I walk into whatever it was that was scheduled, and she only had three questions prepared. I was a bit annoyed that I took the time to come back into the office again to meet face to face as she requested and preferred, and she only needed to ask me three questions. A phone call would have been just as good in my opinion. Again, I am unemployed, so the more gas money I can save, the better. I also had to put in the effort to get dressed up for this. She says she already contacted my references and then told me that if I am chosen, I would just be told I was the final candidate, I wouldn't get an official offer letter yet. She practically made it seem like I had the job. She also contacted me later that evening to get more contact information for one of my jobs, even though I already provided contact information, so no clue why she needed more information. I happily sent it over and never got a thank you or an acknowledgement that she received it. I decided to reach out to all my references letting them about the checks. They all said they were contacted. I get a call late Friday morning that I didn't get the job, and they went with the other candidate. OK, I get that you don't always win. It's part of life. However, it is quite annoying that she went through the whole dog and pony show with me this past week, asking me when I could start if I was offered the spot, checked my references and contacted all of my previous employers only to not offer me the job. Most places only bother your references if your the top person, and they practically are ready to give you the job. I viewed it as a waste of my time this week, and she could have just told me that the timeline would take longer than Friday, so I should just go ahead and accept the offer I have. Instead, she made me go through all of that only to not offer me the job. But that isn't it. Later in the afternoon on Friday I get a meeting invite from her for an interview on Monday. It was obvious it was mistakenly sent to me and was meant for the other "top candidate." If you allegedly had a top candidate picked out when you called to deny me the position, why are you still doing interviews? And why couldn't you be humble enough to follow up with me and apologize for accidentally sending me a meeting invite not for me? What would you have done if I had accepted it? Lastly, since I did take the time to jump through all the hoops you asked me to, a reason for why you rejected me would have been appreciated. I could at least know why you didn't give me a job offer, so I can improve in the future.

Interview Questions

• I need someone who is going to be here long term. Do you plan on flaking out on me like you did with previous employers?   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

Meet with professor and talk about your past research experiences and what their type of research includes and involves. Was very casual and inviting. Also met with other graduate students.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

I had a skype interview. It was brief. We talked about my research and some of my technical stuff. It wasn't hard. Just a matter of getting to know each other

Interview Questions

• Programming languages I know.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Skype interview ask me whether and when I can come, do not have the Q&A session, the HM is very busy. Was told the salary is not high and he need some time to make a deicision

Office Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX).

Interview

Long interview process. First I had a phone interview, then took a skills test in person, then a panel interview which lasted about 2-3 hours total meeting back to back with different groups. They are also very strict about getting all 3 full references so that adds to the time the process takes. Overall now that I've been working there, I'm surprised they went through all this for the position I'm in. It's a very simple repetitive position that they could really hire a high school student for. I feel like I could do the job with my eyes closed. Not the job for someone with a degree and several years experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asked general questions about me personally and why I was interested in working there. Also some basic questions about what I did at previous jobs. Despite the long process the interview, the questions aren't structured at all.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rice University (Houston, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied to be a Program Coordinator last year. I first had a phone screening which went very well and was invited to an in person interview the following week. I thought it went very well and everyone in the panel seemed very welcoming to me. However, I was not selected and to be honest, I think it was very rude and inconsiderate of how I was told I would be kept up to date about my status only to log in 3 weeks later and find out I was not selected via the job portal system. I really think it was due to my racial background that I was not selected because no one in that department looked like me. I have 5 years work experience in an educational setting with a 1 year background working at a University, only to be told someone with more experience in that particular department was more qualified was very appalling since this job demanded no experience.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

Sat in front of a panel of about 8 department members. They asked a lot of questions, mostly repetitive. All questions were related o the job, but vague. Job was a bit more glorified in the interview than what it actually is...

Interview Questions

• How would I handle multiple members asking for tasks done ASAP?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rice University.

Interview

My potential advisor gave me a phone interview. She asked me some questions related to my research experience in my old university. She also asked me to tell her about what I did in the project, what role did I play, what results did I get. She also told me about the department.