Roblox Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roblox Interview Questions

Interviews at Roblox

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

Very bad experience, totally a waste of applicants' time. Virtual onsite interview. Four rounds in total, only two of them are coding questions and the other two are all behavioral. The coding questions are super easy. Did not have the opportunity to show my abilities. Got reject few days later said they would like to move forward with better candidate. I think they did not want me in the very beginning.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

Standard leetcode questions, there is an executive round with C levels after onsite, one of the C levels seems to be a bit insensitive culturally and hypocritical. The hiring metrics seem to be a little bit arbitrary.

Interview Questions

• Algorithm rounds are standard leetcode problems, mostly common leetcode mediums.   Answer Question

Roblox Response

Jul 6, 2020 – Team Roblox

Thank you for sharing, and we're sorry this was your experience. We take instances of cultural insensitivity very seriously, and we have passed this along to our People team for review.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

Initial phone chat with hiring manager, Karat coding interview, longer hiring manager phone call, on site (which took place over 4-5 hours on zoom), technical interviews with employees, meet the execs zoom call

Interview Questions

• Architecture questions, algorithm questions, asked me about my experience and projects, etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Pretty typical interview process, however interview was conducted via Karat. They were incredibly unprofessional, failing to both provide logistics for the interview in a timely manner, and also failing to provide any followup information following the interview. I reached out again for an update only to be met with radio silence. It was like attempting to have correspondence with a rock.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

After submitting my resume I was sent a HackerRank challenge to complete that wasn’t very difficult. About a week later I was contacted to schedule a final round interview with a software engineer.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic hacker rank questions, mostly about manipulating arrays.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Roblox (San Jose, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

Karat coding interview screen. Karat interviewer was amazing and had a smooth process with Karat. Then got to virtual onsite.

The interviewers were bunch of young guys and seemed smart for what they do. Had good conversations with them. Questions were medium/easy. It took me some time to implement one of the questions correctly. All other interviews seemed to have gone pretty well.

Recruiter mentioned that he would get back next day for executive round but never replied. Had sent an email asking if they wanted to proceed as I had another offer to respond to but the recruiter never replied.

They seem to have utter disregard and disrespect to people that they don't even care to respond to them. Would suggest to pick up a different company purely based on the attitude of the employees and recruiter. Roblox may have a short success run but not a long term player built on right values.

Growth Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roblox in June 2020.

Interview

Really amazing process. The hiring manager and recruiting team were on top of the entire process. The team asked really insightful questions and they were able to get a strong grasp of my experience. They also allowed me to ask very candid questions about the company which was helpful to stack rack against other opportunities. I feel like the process was a two way street and I am fully informed of the organization and it’s challenges.

I was very impressed meeting the leadership team. They have a very strong vision and articulated where the company is headed which I appreciated hearing first hand.

Interview Questions

• Present a case of a challenge in a previous organization and how you drove a solution.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Karat Interview for phone screen
    After that I got an onsite interview - if I had passed there would have been another virtual onsite with some of the leadership team. However, they ghosted me afterwards. They also pair up to interview you, which can cause awkward communication. During the system design interview (which is terrible to do on Zoom whiteboard) the main interviewer had poor english and poor communication skills, did not understand what he was asking half the time.

would avoid if you don't want to waste time

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in May 2020.

Interview

Roblox is extremely thorough in their interview process, where Ning is the only company where I've experienced a more challenging set of interviews. Structurally the interviews were most similar to Amazon but with a greater range of hands-on coding/architecture/design exercises but no evidence of a "bar raiser". The use of an IDE for the coding exercises was a welcome change from the usual Silicon Valley "whiteboard" format and it felt like a much clearer proxy for real-world performance. One of the C++ coding exercises particularly stood out for this as the IDE/compilation loop allowed me to submit a complete solution within a very limited time frame (and where the interviewer was understanding of the limited trial-and-error required).

To anyone considering an engineering position at Roblox: this team is looking for "navy seals" so prepare appropriately. I'd recommend reading "Hello, Startup: A Programmer's Guide to Building Products, Technologies, and Teams" especially if you're not already on a world-class team and practice intermediate(+) coding exercises in an IDE (Hackerrank or something similar) so you're well prepared (as fluent as possible in the target language) for the coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Roblox?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roblox in May 2020.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out a few days later to schedule a phone screen. The call was your typical initial phone screen with a recruiter. We went over the company and details of the position as well as my experience. Unfortunately took an odd turn when we got to salary expectations. I answered with the typical I’m looking for something competitive with the area, position, and my experience. They would not accept that answer and became very pushy in getting me to give them a number. When I asked the range for the position they declined to answer. I was very surprised by this reaction to a pretty routine question. Whether it was just the person I spoke to or a culture within the organization, the reaction was very unprofessional and shady. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t proceed without a number, however, organizations that do this typically have a history of giving lowball offers.

Interview Questions

• Are there any accomplishments from your past roles you’d like to highlight?   Answer Question
    • Why are you looking to leave your current role?   Answer Question