Roblox Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Overall, a very positive experience! Roblox subscribes to the philosophy that "everyone is their own CEO", meaning that managers have wide latitude to define how their teams operate, including the interview processes for each team. That seems to be responsible for the widely varying experiences people have reported.

The process I went through was a series of phone interviews followed by a final round panel interview, discussing my management style, experience managing teams, thoughts on process and strategy, aspects of my personality, and a bit of coding and technical design. Unlike applicants for some other teams at the company, I didn't need to complete an online coding challenge, though I certainly wouldn't have balked at one.

What struck me most about Roblox was the passion everyone brought to their work - everyone from Karen, the office assistant, to the recruiting leads and the managers, directors, VPs, and CEO were super enthusiastic about working there and creating such a great content creation platform, and they expect the same of applicants! I was glad to see it, as that means they have a good handle on company culture and look for more than just passing a technical bar.

The process moved very quickly, as it should when hiring senior people in this area, and they turned around the offer in record time. My one complaint about the process was that it became a high pressure sell once the offer was in my hand. The offer expired within only one day of issuance, and they kept pushing me for a very immediate start date, which would have left me little time to wrap up my current work and move. Most companies I've worked at in the past hired for overall talent and allocated them where there was need shortly before the start date; the need to fill candidates on a predefined roadmap definitely seems like a downside of hiring for specific openings.

Timing issues and exploding offers aside, I'm really psyched by the passion everyone is displaying for their work and I'm excited to join them in it!

Other Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with HR and then hiring manager. Then in person interviews with HR, hiring manager and several team members.

It was very disappointing that they never sent me an email to let me know that I didn't get the job. Especially considering how much time and effort I put into my time with them.

Advice to Roblox, is to treat your candidates with respect and close the loop to let them know if they did or did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Standard "tell me about a time when..." type of questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Entire process was great, had a few phone screenings, and onsite as well. People were very friendly, knowledgeable, and cool. Great company overall, and smooth process. Took a couple of weeks total. Interview questions were standard, nothing surprising, I wish it was not my first interview, for I would have aced it otherwise.

Interview Questions

• Remove a node in a singly linked list, which is pointed to, in O(1). If you know the trick, its easy, otherwise, you can only do O(N).   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

Pretty much sent me through a round of 3 phone interviews, made it seem like I had the job but then didn't have the funding to move me because they needed that money to hire people for the engine team instead of the scripting team.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement various data structures in LUA that exist in the Java standard library? Basic questions really all around.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (Redwood City, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

The recruiter somehow got my resume and approached me. The company is on the edge of spanning so it is looking for a bunch of new positions. I showed the interest on doing backend server side programming. As a result, I was arranged for a first on-site interview with the technical director. However, this interview is just a chat about my background, some general issues on the backend design. Then after two weeks, I was arranged another round of on-site interview with 4 people. The interviews did not contain too many algorithm or programming puzzles, but really some advance questions that fit their needs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

They first had a normal interview followed by a technical interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Roblox.

Interview

Two phone interviews before getting into the final on-site interview. I passed the first one. I failed on the second one.

Interview Questions

• The first phone interview is basically asking some general technique questions and used the share site to write a function that returns the first repeated character from a string. The second phone interview used the share site to write a function to determine palindrome of an integer; no extra space are allowed to use.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I received a call from a Russian chap with a heavy accent. I am a native English speaker and typically have no problems understanding accents. I've been in the Silicon Valley for years to no big deal. In this case -- it was a big deal. I could barely understand the chap interviewing me. It made me very slow to reply and I had no idea if I was answering what he was asking.

Now I am a C++ guru. I have knocked it out of the part in interview after interview in this area. This guy asked one question. I did not fully understand it. The answer ultimately required you to know to use an STL hashed-map. I was just rolling my eyes wondering "how doe these people hire anyone"?

One of the oddest interviews ever. One question and a guy I could not understand. 15 minutes tops. I already had other offers so I was already pretty turned off by Roblox.

I put Very Difficult b/c I could not understand the guy.

Interview Questions

• Some question about storage (could not understand due to think accent)...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Roblox (Berkeley, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I gave them my resume during a job fair at school and was followed up with emails and phone interviews. I was asked two questions during the phone interview and then they gave me one coding exercise about collision detection. It was smooth process, people are helpful and friendly, just took them a while to get back to me as they were having other stuff important

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roblox (San Mateo, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone screen interview with recruiter. She tells me right away that she does not feel that I am qualified for the position I have applied for but then recommends a position in C# (I do not have that on my resume).

Interview Questions

• How much money are you earning now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Roblox (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

This is an internship and it was the first interview on the phone, but it includes both general and technical questions. I was not that good at the technical questions. And about one week later they sent me an email telling me I was lack of some skills they need.