Roku Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roku Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2018

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Roku (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Was contacted by a Recruiter through Linkedin saying to setup a phone call for new opportunities at ROKU . The recruiter called 15 mins late and then was in such a hurry as she had another meeting in 15 mins . After 2 mins of talking she says the teams only hire people with 15+ years of experience who do need management and can just come and do the work . Then dear why would you waste my time when you can see that my experience on my resume n linkedin says 3+ . Very poor representation of the company which shows its poor culture . And then she mails me in the evening saying the hiring manager doesn't want someone with little more than experience . Pleas do not waste working people's time

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I interviewed with a recruiter and had two phone interviews (one technical and one with product manager). During the technical interview the interviewer went to a website with coding/technical questions.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Applied -> Recruiter Email -> Recruiter Phone Call -> Technical Phone Call -> Offer Letter.

Whole process took about 2 weeks total. Phone interview acted as both behavioral/technical interview and also went over what the internship was looking for. My interview was with Paul Kim, who is a very experienced web developer with years of industry experience. Definitely know your javascript principles and also have experience with some of the technologies they use. Overall great process and also great communication with recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Went over projects/experience and resume   Answer Question
    • Technical javascript questions: Closures, Event Delegation, Promises, Optimizations, etc..   Answer Question

Inventory Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

I was scheduled for a phone call by the incompetent recruiter twice and she failed to call me for both of them. It was extremely disappointing and a waste of time to prepare for the conversation only to be left hanging.

Senior Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

My experience interviewing at Roku was negative because I was strung along for a full 6 weeks before receiving the final "no".

After the first week of silence, I reached out to the recruiter looking for any information. I was told things went well in my interviews and to sit tight while they determined next steps.

I sat tight for the next month, pinging the recruiter once or twice a week depending on if the first email had been ignored. When I did receive a response, it did not contain any information other than they might have more details "in the next week", or at some other vague point in the future.

After 5 weeks of this, I was told I was not the front runner, but that they wanted to keep me in the mix. After week 6, I was told the other candidate accepted.

This experience was immensely frustrating and demonstrated a lack of respect for candidates. Roku should work on being more responsive, sticking to timelines, and being more transparent with candidates.

The actual interview was fairly standard. Recruiter screen, manager phone screen, 4 in-persons. I felt I did well and all feedback I received indicated the same.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. The process took about 3 weeks from the time of scheduling an initial phone call to receiving an offer. I interviewed in Los Gatos, CA in March 2018.

The process started with a phone call from the hiring manager for a Platform Integration team. That call went well, the role sounded very interesting, and a few days later I was invited for onsite interviews. I had a few hours of onsite interviews and learned a lot more about the role, with some technical questions to assess my skills. After the onsite interviews, I received feedback the same day that the team would like to extend an offer.

The technical questions were a good experience. They felt conversational and collaborative, giving me an idea of what it would be like to work together with the interviewers. I learned about some of the plans for the Platform team, and it seems like there are great opportunities at Roku: both for an employee to learn new skills, and for the company to grow.

I was very impressed with everyone I spoke to. Everyone was professional, courteous, and seemed excited about their work! The recruiter was friendly and helpful through the whole process, and I felt really cared about both sides: making sure that I was a good match for Roku, and that Roku was a good match for me. I appreciated the fast feedback after the interview, and because of these reasons, quickly accepted the offer.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within that week. Very quick process overall. Expect a stage a week to every other week if they're seriously interested. First is with an internal recruiter. She was GREAT! Gave advice and was candid about the requirements of the role which I appreciated. Next was an in-person 4-part interview. This part wasn't bad at all either. Final stage was an interview with two higher ups and another sync with the direct hiring manager afterwards.

I never heard back after the final stage, I'm not sure why. I reached out to the recruiter twice maybe should have reached out to the direct manager but I don't it would matter if no one has said anything 2 weeks after the deadline they gave me. I'll be honest a 'no' would have been much preferable to the lack of response. Overall the entire process wasn't unpleasant but the total lack of response or follow-up after the timeline they gave me in the final interview is really unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What data would you give us (sales) to present to a client who we're trying to win?   Answer Question

Director, Account Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Contacted by Roku recruiting and asked to participate in a phone screen. At the end of the phone screen was told that next step would be telephone interview with hiring manager and to await scheduling. One week passed and I emailed recruiter to inquire. No reply. Two weeks passed, again emailed and again, no reply. Three weeks passed and no reply. I withdrew my application at that point as I received other offers.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my experience in the entertainment and hardware industries   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Overall positive experience, but ultimately ghosted even after in-person meetings and several follow ups.

After applying, I was pleased with a quick turnaround on the first phone screen with the recruiter, and a follow up phone screen with the hiring manager the week after. About a week after that, I was contacted to come in for an in-person interview as well as to complete a case-study. The case study was challenging but a good exercise and a good indication of the kind of skills they were looking for. During in-person interview, I met with 4 people - all were very nice, engaging in the meetings, and overall I had a really positive experience on-site. The hiring manager indicated to me the general timeline they were looking at and said they would be in touch after case studies were reviewed and finalists were identified.

Unfortunately, I never heard from them again. I found out that the recruiter left the company, and the hiring manager never got back to me to even close the loop on the position. Even though I assumed after several follow ups with no response that I was not selected to move forward, I would have appreciated notification or indication of some kind that they had moved forward with other candidates, especially after having gone in to meet other team members and submitting a case study for review.

I think the company is still cool and has promise but unfortunately this was just a negative experience with lack of closure on the position.

Interview Questions

• The Case Study was challenging, but feasible with public information available on the company. Ultimately it feels like I completed free work for them, which I wouldn't have minded if they just got back to me with feedback and a formal rejection.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Hackerrank followed by phone screen and 4 rounds of onsite.

They dont have good interview process, I was told by recruiter that the team is interested and want to move forward and asked about compensation. I gave the comp details and recruiter came back and said that they want to interview more candidates before making call. Thats not fair. I wouldnt waste time interviewing here. Netflix is much better option than this and they are located in same building in Los Gatos CA.