Roku Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roku Interview Questions

Updated Nov 15, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Interview

Highly disorganized and careless recruiter. This recruiter does not even check her email regularly and god knows how many good candidates are not getting hired because of her incompetence. She did an extremely poor job of communicating and coordinating. They need to seriously evaluate their recruitment team. The attitude of the recruiter is very similiar to the attitude of Netflix HR (see Netflix reviews if you don't know what I am talking about).

The interview process itself it pretty standard. Phone call with recuiter, followed by a technical phone interview and if that goes ok, you will be called onsite. The technical part was a good experience. The negative rating is for the sloppy recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Read up on data structures and algorithms. Practice a lot on leetcode.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer (Audio) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Austin, TX).

Interview

The first phone interview went well with the interviewer asking good audio-relevant questions. That's what got me excited about the position the most. Then came the F2F which didn't go well. They couldn't find audio experienced folks to interview me. Instead they asked me some generic questions from Cracking the Coding interview. Was hitting myself in the head for not reading up on CtCi completely. The face-to-face lasted from 10 till 4 PM WITHOUT LUNCH. Yep, just one person after another without a break for lunch. "This is fairly typical around here", thanks for the warning HR lady.

The worst part was the horrible co-ordination between HRs. The HR lady tried to force me into giving my salary details, very aggressively. DO NOT GIVE YOUR SALARY DETAILS no matter who you're dealing with. Simply say "I understand where you're coming from, but I'd rather not disclose". When pushed, say "What would you say is the typical range for this position"? Having dealt with multiple companies, professional HRs typically back off when hearing this line. She, otoh, was very aggressive and unprofessional, even suggesting that I could take a lower title. Dear Roku's HR - if you want to hire the best, leave your shady aggressive tactics behind you and treat your future employees with respect and consideration. Don't come across like you're doing a huge favor for the candidates by hiring them. Without good talent (who love what they do) and good hiring practices you'll be eaten alive by the competition.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process was smooth. A candidate had dropped out because of which the HR was desperate to look for a replacement. Hence they got in touch with me via email and scheduled an interview the following day. The next day, I answered all the questions to the best of my abilities and got an offer from the firm. 2 days after receiving a verbal confirmation from Roku, I decided to decline the offer from another company that I had (naturally). Then Roku went back on their word and cited HR issues and took back the offer that I had ( mind you, i rejected the only offer that I had). This was really unprofessional of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Have you done any sorts of program management? What tools did you use? Have you done reporting work? Do you have cross-functional experience? Have you led a team?   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I have applied online, got an email to schedule interview. The Manager called me and the interview went for 30 mins, she said she will be sending an email by Monday as the interview conducted on Friday. I kept waiting for the email and tried contacting them, I did not get any response from them.

Interview Questions

• what would you like to learn as an intern in this company?   Answer Question

Attorny Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with in-house recruiter, followed by secondary interview with senior counsel. Second interview was much more difficult because the senior attorney was clearly testing my understanding of complex product and licensing agreements.

Interview Questions

• What standard licensing provisions would you include in a software or product license agreement.   1 Answer

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Without a doubt the worst interview I have ever endured. There were weeks of postponed phone screens and then design homework. I spent the allotted time doing what they asked plus did some extra credit design work that I never got to present. The interview to present this work was scheduled to start at noon so they said there would be lunch. When I got there they walked me to the room and half the team ate in front of me, I was offered nothing. They gave me 5 minutes to cover my 10+ year career and spent most of the next 45 minutes grilling me in the finer points of their own scrolling pattern. I only had a couple minutes to try to get to the extra credit that would show a lot more but everyone left so that was that. I had a couple short 1 on 1s before they ended the day early based on assumptions they made regarding my answers about how their list scrolled. I went home. Then they asked if I would be willing to jump on a phone call with the hiring manager which they postponed several times again. The call was just to repeat what they had already said to me and let me know their decision was final.

It was a hellish nightmare from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• What happens if I press the right arrow?   1 Answer

, Wireless Testing Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roku.

Interview

I sent my application in and heard back from a recruiter a couple weeks later. She was nice and cheerful and encouraging. The conversation was informal and easy-going and she seemed really excited to move forward with me. She set up a phone screen with a hiring manager in wireless testing. It was definitely a different vibe, he just wanted to know about my experience with Python, JavaScript, databases, and networks. He asked technical questions, which weren't hard, but were a bit difficult for me because I am not well-versed in many languages except Java and C. Overall, not a bad process. Just wish I had been more experienced

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between dictionaries and arrays in Python   1 Answer
    • Have you used closures in java   Answer Question
    • Explain any technical project you have worked on, and any APIs or open sources that you utilized   Answer Question
    • If I told you to test a cell phone network, how would you approach it   Answer Question

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with hiring manager and came omsite and met with 2 of the senior people there and met the manager. the senior guy tries to scare you a bit and questions everything you say. he even said I dont care if you like me just want you to do your job. anyways its been close to a month and no feedback very unprofessional as this was a contract gig! they dont have it together

Interview Questions

• i was asked to give a list of companies i had hired from 2 yrs prior   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Roku (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a Roku recruiter via LinkedIn. He connected me to the Director of Engineering, Web Development in 2 days. While the recruiter was pretty nice and motivating, Director of Engineering was as cold as ice to me. I don't know why but he sounded like he had biases starting from the first minute of our call.

He was late for 15 minutes for the phone call. He never gave me any feedback after I answer his questions. I'm sorry to tell this but he was like a robot. He wasn't even close to be 'nice'.

I assume I was overqualified for the job. He was probably looking for just a front-end guy.

Interview Questions

• Some general questions which you can not understand anything about someone's expertise on 'Software Engineering'.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Had phone screen - Passed
    A week later had company on-site interview
    5 people took interview - Interview went well
    After a week received email about not selecting me - men dominating company, in QA they won't hire a woman. Even if you are perfect match and you approved to them.