Roku Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roku Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2018

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Interview

Highly disorganized and careless recruiter. This recruiter does not even check her email regularly and god knows how many good candidates are not getting hired because of her incompetence. She did an extremely poor job of communicating and coordinating. They need to seriously evaluate their recruitment team. The attitude of the recruiter is very similiar to the attitude of Netflix HR (see Netflix reviews if you don't know what I am talking about).

The interview process itself it pretty standard. Phone call with recuiter, followed by a technical phone interview and if that goes ok, you will be called onsite. The technical part was a good experience. The negative rating is for the sloppy recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Read up on data structures and algorithms. Practice a lot on leetcode.   Answer Question

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Roku (Saratoga, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with the hiring manager was my only interaction. The interviewer seemed to be fairly new at doing phone-screen interviews. The questions were fairly vague in nature but the interviewer seemed to want specific answers and keep trying to be more detailed about the nature of the question but lacked the skills to do so.

Interview Questions

• How I would test a new product. (This question was extremely vague)   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within that week. Very quick process overall. Expect a stage a week to every other week if they're seriously interested. First is with an internal recruiter. She was GREAT! Gave advice and was candid about the requirements of the role which I appreciated. Next was an in-person 4-part interview. This part wasn't bad at all either. Final stage was an interview with two higher ups and another sync with the direct hiring manager afterwards.

I never heard back after the final stage, I'm not sure why. I reached out to the recruiter twice maybe should have reached out to the direct manager but I don't it would matter if no one has said anything 2 weeks after the deadline they gave me. I'll be honest a 'no' would have been much preferable to the lack of response. Overall the entire process wasn't unpleasant but the total lack of response or follow-up after the timeline they gave me in the final interview is really unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What data would you give us (sales) to present to a client who we're trying to win?   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saratoga, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Saratoga, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Long phone calls with multiple recruiters (more typing than listening). Intense day-long in-person one-on-ones for interview. Lots of positive vibes. Then nothing. Not even a "thank you but we're taking a different direction" from the HR team. Sad.

Interview Questions

• What software tools do you use for tracking projects?   1 Answer

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview with hiring manager and came omsite and met with 2 of the senior people there and met the manager. the senior guy tries to scare you a bit and questions everything you say. he even said I dont care if you like me just want you to do your job. anyways its been close to a month and no feedback very unprofessional as this was a contract gig! they dont have it together

Interview Questions

• i was asked to give a list of companies i had hired from 2 yrs prior   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

Moved fast and was simple - phone screen followed by in person. Very easy questions but HR is not the greatest. I received an offer elsewhere and followed up to inquire on their decision status and never received a response. Ever. They also do backdoor references. One of the interviewers reached out to a friend of mine that was not on my referral list. Standard, but doesn't make it any less shady.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in person with two team members. The recruiter was relentless in asking where else I was interviewing which felt invasive. She was very enthusiastic through out the process and even when we met in person. There was a compete lack of communication after the in person meeting. After being all over me as a candidate she completely fell of the radar. When meeting with the two team members, the first conducted a standard interview. The second person was a member of sales and spent a total of 10 minutes with me and couldn't even fake interest in the interview. If your team has a conflict, you should reschedule the interview, not conduct a very poor interview experience. Showed me they were disorganized and unwilling to do their best to attract top talent.

Senior Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in January 2018.

The process took just over a month once HR had a chance to review my resume and reach back to me. There was an initial phone call with HR to discuss a few roles that potentially might interest me.

Next step was a phone screen with one of the hiring managers (about 45 minutes) followed by two one hour on-site meetings where I had a chance to meet face-to -face with hiring managers and discuss the role more in detail as well as showcase some of my skills. The format was an informal coffee chat at Roku headquarters and that made me feel comfortable right away.

Discussions got more technical after each meeting and covered many core devops principles including infrastructure-as-code, automated provisioning, CI/CD, alerting/monitoring/logging, self-healing, SLAs, etc. I had a chance to explain the type of problems and solutions I had worked on in the past and ask questions about Roku's cloud infrastructure, process & technologies and short term/long-term devops/SRE strategy.

The final step was a formal 4 hour on-site interview with 5 people (Lead developer, Senior devops engineers, technical managers, HR). It was very conversational and discussions got deeper technically. 3 interviewers asked me to to do a coding problem on the white board. The coding problems were devops appropriate and related to pattern parsing/searching, ci/cd, cloud apis.

Every interviewer clearly stated his/her expectations before the interview session started. People were helpful, considerate, technically sharp and made me feel at ease. It is not an easy interview so my advice to other people is that you have got to know your stuff. I was sent home with a Roku (nice gesture! I did not expected it).

I thought I had done pretty well and was happy with myself no matter the outcome, however, I was surprised to hear from HR the very same day that the initial feedback was positive. Roku moves very fast and less than 2 days later I had a formal offer in hand which I accepted.

While interviewing at Roku, I had other interviews going with other companies, and I must say Roku had the most organized process. HR was really good at communicating details (like my interviewer's Linkedin profile so I could prepare), providing timely feedback, and coaching me throughout the process. I really felt Roku HR were there to help me succeed through the process and cared about me as a potential employee and not just as a person to fill a position. Overall great communication from HR, very organized interviewing process with clear expectations and timely feedback.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Roku (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I reached out on LinkedIn through a friend of a friend and got a quick response from the recruiter. The initial screening went well and they scheduled an phone interview with the VP. It took awhile to get an interview. She made a few odd statements like, we're a pretty late team, are you ok with that and do you mind late hours. She said she was going on vacation and would bring me in. I never heard from her again. About a month later, I pinged the recruiter and she said she still hadn't gotten feedback from the VP and that she would get back to me by the end of the week. I waited and pinged back mostly out of curiosity. This went on for a bit before I finally just threw in the towel. I never heard back from them again.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind working long hours? How long do you take before you call a client back?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. The process took about 3 weeks from the time of scheduling an initial phone call to receiving an offer. I interviewed in Los Gatos, CA in March 2018.

The process started with a phone call from the hiring manager for a Platform Integration team. That call went well, the role sounded very interesting, and a few days later I was invited for onsite interviews. I had a few hours of onsite interviews and learned a lot more about the role, with some technical questions to assess my skills. After the onsite interviews, I received feedback the same day that the team would like to extend an offer.

The technical questions were a good experience. They felt conversational and collaborative, giving me an idea of what it would be like to work together with the interviewers. I learned about some of the plans for the Platform team, and it seems like there are great opportunities at Roku: both for an employee to learn new skills, and for the company to grow.

I was very impressed with everyone I spoke to. Everyone was professional, courteous, and seemed excited about their work! The recruiter was friendly and helpful through the whole process, and I felt really cared about both sides: making sure that I was a good match for Roku, and that Roku was a good match for me. I appreciated the fast feedback after the interview, and because of these reasons, quickly accepted the offer.