Roku Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Roku Interview Questions

Updated Jan 29, 2018

Senior Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in January 2018.

The process took just over a month once HR had a chance to review my resume and reach back to me. There was an initial phone call with HR to discuss a few roles that potentially might interest me.

Next step was a phone screen with one of the hiring managers (about 45 minutes) followed by two one hour on-site meetings where I had a chance to meet face-to -face with hiring managers and discuss the role more in detail as well as showcase some of my skills. The format was an informal coffee chat at Roku headquarters and that made me feel comfortable right away.

Discussions got more technical after each meeting and covered many core devops principles including infrastructure-as-code, automated provisioning, CI/CD, alerting/monitoring/logging, self-healing, SLAs, etc. I had a chance to explain the type of problems and solutions I had worked on in the past and ask questions about Roku's cloud infrastructure, process & technologies and short term/long-term devops/SRE strategy.

The final step was a formal 4 hour on-site interview with 5 people (Lead developer, Senior devops engineers, technical managers, HR). It was very conversational and discussions got deeper technically. 3 interviewers asked me to to do a coding problem on the white board. The coding problems were devops appropriate and related to pattern parsing/searching, ci/cd, cloud apis.

Every interviewer clearly stated his/her expectations before the interview session started. People were helpful, considerate, technically sharp and made me feel at ease. It is not an easy interview so my advice to other people is that you have got to know your stuff. I was sent home with a Roku (nice gesture! I did not expected it).

I thought I had done pretty well and was happy with myself no matter the outcome, however, I was surprised to hear from HR the very same day that the initial feedback was positive. Roku moves very fast and less than 2 days later I had a formal offer in hand which I accepted.

While interviewing at Roku, I had other interviews going with other companies, and I must say Roku had the most organized process. HR was really good at communicating details (like my interviewer's Linkedin profile so I could prepare), providing timely feedback, and coaching me throughout the process. I really felt Roku HR were there to help me succeed through the process and cared about me as a potential employee and not just as a person to fill a position. Overall great communication from HR, very organized interviewing process with clear expectations and timely feedback.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The entire process was very quick and efficient. The recruiter was very responsive and friendly, answering any questions I had and working with me to navigate the entire process.

Ad Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY).

Interview

Over a couple phone calls and two in-person rounds, I ended up speaking with or meeting somewhere around 10 people, including senior managers and a VP. The entire process was actually pretty positive until the wait arrived: I ended up having to wait two months after my last in-person round to get any feedback, was deflected with multiple reasons for delays, and only after requesting an update was I told I would not be receiving an offer. So it goes.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritize your campaigns and day-to-day tasks?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Roku (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in person with two team members. The recruiter was relentless in asking where else I was interviewing which felt invasive. She was very enthusiastic through out the process and even when we met in person. There was a compete lack of communication after the in person meeting. After being all over me as a candidate she completely fell of the radar. When meeting with the two team members, the first conducted a standard interview. The second person was a member of sales and spent a total of 10 minutes with me and couldn't even fake interest in the interview. If your team has a conflict, you should reschedule the interview, not conduct a very poor interview experience. Showed me they were disorganized and unwilling to do their best to attract top talent.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Interview

Highly disorganized and careless recruiter. This recruiter does not even check her email regularly and god knows how many good candidates are not getting hired because of her incompetence. She did an extremely poor job of communicating and coordinating. They need to seriously evaluate their recruitment team. The attitude of the recruiter is very similiar to the attitude of Netflix HR (see Netflix reviews if you don't know what I am talking about).

The interview process itself it pretty standard. Phone call with recuiter, followed by a technical phone interview and if that goes ok, you will be called onsite. The technical part was a good experience. The negative rating is for the sloppy recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Read up on data structures and algorithms. Practice a lot on leetcode.   Answer Question

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Roku in November 2017.

Interview

1) Phone interview with HR
    2) Technical phone interview with coding exercise
    3) Onsite interview with 5 people plus HR
    Unorganized since same question was repeated multiple times by different interviewers.

- Informed flat organization but very political
    - Unprofessional and biased
    - No diversity 4 out of 5 in terms of gender or ethinicity
    - Don’t recommend to waste your time

Senior Software Engineer (Audio) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Austin, TX).

Interview

The first phone interview went well with the interviewer asking good audio-relevant questions. That's what got me excited about the position the most. Then came the F2F which didn't go well. They couldn't find audio experienced folks to interview me. Instead they asked me some generic questions from Cracking the Coding interview. Was hitting myself in the head for not reading up on CtCi completely. The face-to-face lasted from 10 till 4 PM WITHOUT LUNCH. Yep, just one person after another without a break for lunch. "This is fairly typical around here", thanks for the warning HR lady.

The worst part was the horrible co-ordination between HRs. The HR lady tried to force me into giving my salary details, very aggressively. DO NOT GIVE YOUR SALARY DETAILS no matter who you're dealing with. Simply say "I understand where you're coming from, but I'd rather not disclose". When pushed, say "What would you say is the typical range for this position"? Having dealt with multiple companies, professional HRs typically back off when hearing this line. She, otoh, was very aggressive and unprofessional, even suggesting that I could take a lower title. Dear Roku's HR - if you want to hire the best, leave your shady aggressive tactics behind you and treat your future employees with respect and consideration. Don't come across like you're doing a huge favor for the candidates by hiring them. Without good talent (who love what they do) and good hiring practices you'll be eaten alive by the competition.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA).

Interview

The interview process was smooth. A candidate had dropped out because of which the HR was desperate to look for a replacement. Hence they got in touch with me via email and scheduled an interview the following day. The next day, I answered all the questions to the best of my abilities and got an offer from the firm. 2 days after receiving a verbal confirmation from Roku, I decided to decline the offer from another company that I had (naturally). Then Roku went back on their word and cited HR issues and took back the offer that I had ( mind you, i rejected the only offer that I had). This was really unprofessional of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Have you done any sorts of program management? What tools did you use? Have you done reporting work? Do you have cross-functional experience? Have you led a team?   Answer Question

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Gatos, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I have applied online, got an email to schedule interview. The Manager called me and the interview went for 30 mins, she said she will be sending an email by Monday as the interview conducted on Friday. I kept waiting for the email and tried contacting them, I did not get any response from them.

Interview Questions

• what would you like to learn as an intern in this company?   Answer Question

Attorny Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Roku (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with in-house recruiter, followed by secondary interview with senior counsel. Second interview was much more difficult because the senior attorney was clearly testing my understanding of complex product and licensing agreements.

Interview Questions

• What standard licensing provisions would you include in a software or product license agreement.   1 Answer