SCM Insurance Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2016

2.7

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I applied online to their ad during the middle of July. At the end of July I was called to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview went well as I had many of the skills from a previous position/similar company. At this time, I was sent an online personality assessment (basically the same questions re-worded so many times) and took about 40 minutes to complete. I also had to complete a skills assessment in Excel and Word, which I scored highly on. I was then invited to come in for a group interview.

The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I felt great about it after as I gelled well with the direct leaders I would be working with. The following week I was asked to give 4 references (4 is too much for this position in my opinion). They needed reference feedback within 24 hours and I was able to meet the deadline. I was given glowing reviews and I know his because I am close with my references. A week goes by and I hear nothing back.

I call the HR rep to do a follow up and they respond with "hopefully we'll have made a decision by early next week, I will let you know as you are one of our top candidates"... I've never heard back. This process took 4 weeks.

To be honest, I was really excited about this opportunity. I really thought I had this. I waited and waited for a phone call or email even if it was a rejection or piece of feedback. As well this experience left me feeling temporarily hopeless in my job search because I had to jump through many hoops with this place.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

First received an email setting up a telephone interview. Telephone interview was set up and upon completion I was sent a personality survey to complete and was told the interviewer would be out of the office for two weeks so I waited two weeks to see if I would be called in for an in person interview. I got a call two weeks later on a Monday asking me to come in for an in person interview with the Marketing Coordinator and her superior. I went for the interview, and the next day I was emailed saying all of my references must fill out a survey instead of them actually calling my references I provided. So I got 4 references as requested and they completed the survey within 24 hours. I was then contacted again to come in for a second in person interview with the two people I had already interviewed with plus the Vice President of Marketing. I went to this interview and was told I would find out the following week if they would be offering me the position. The following week on Tuesday I received an email saying that I had not been selected. I asked the recruiter why I was not selected and what I could improve upon for future interviews and she said that she had no further information for me other than I didn't get the job. ALOT of hoops to jump threw for NOTHING.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by HR Generalist very quickly to set up a phone interview on Friday.

Had my phone interview where they asked me about my experience and very general questions my background. They had me complete a personality test, very basic questions.

Had a face-to-face interview the following Tuesday, met with the Hiring VP and a Manager for about 2 hours and really felt good about my chances for the role. Interaction with both was really good and flowing, as originally we had scheduled only for 1 hour since I had a meeting to attend afterwards.

Sent thank you follow-up emails and received responses from all 3 people. I was really confident.

Followed up with HR after one week, HR told me that person who interviewed me was on vacation and they would be contacting me shortly once they finished interviewing other candidates the following week(aka you didn't get the job and strung me along) since the VP told me two other candidates interviewed before me and they were finished interviews. I played along and followed up the following week and HR told me they were really interested in me but still awaiting feedback.

It's been 4 weeks and nothing.

The only feedback would be that be honest with candidates and don't provide false hope and state up front you didn't get the job. As i really got excited and would have been pissed if I was unemployed with false hope.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Tell us a time about where you exceeded expectations and a time where you did not meet expectations and why?
      -Improvements of processes and procedures
      - Describe Management style
      -5 year and 10 year goals
      Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Interview

was not impressed, no feedback after interview. I had a phone interview with HR and got scheduled for interview in office interview. Interviewer had a sad face all through as if he was forced to work that morning. no response three weeks after interview

Interview Questions

• do you like been monitored or left alone to work on your own   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and the process took almost 3 months. The Talent Acquisition Manage got in touch to check if I was interested in the position to which I said yes. He then asked me a few questions and said he will soon fix up an interview with the marketing head and let me know. a couple days later he sent an email( almost 8:30 in the night) to check my availability the next day afternoon with a link to complete a behavioral assessment which was easy and took 15-20mins. I tried to work it around and fixed up the interview. Met the Marketing Head and the HR guy. Everything went well and I was told that they will get back to me within a week, which they never did. I kept trying to connect with the HR & Marketing person.

I guess they didnt have the courtesy to even send a rejection email and on top of that they were ignoring my calls & emails.

I am now glad that I didnt receive an offer from them coz if if did I would never want to work work a company that doesnt respect people and treat people like they are nothing.

They are not even top employers in Canada and they have an attitude problem.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions about marketing and what do you know about us etc   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2013.

Interview

Phone interview about my experience

Manager of Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the HR office and asked to complete a behavourial survey. The survey took about 30 minutes and was not difficult. Then I was interviewed by phone from the HR office - some basic questions on my qualifications, interest in the position, and what I was looking for.

I was then brought in to meet the manager and asked a series of questions relating to my leadership and projects. Lastly, the CHRO interviewed my for about 30-45 minutes and we discussed strategy

Interview Questions

• From a list of 10 leadership traits, which are the most important to you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was made an offer that was good and comprehensive. The benefit plan was a strong motivator for me to take the job

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online and within a week of submitting my application I was called and phone screened. Then a couple days later I received another call indicating that I was selected for an in person interview and that I will be sent a link to complete a personality profile assessment. My interview was scheduled and I went in to meet with the team @ SCM.

The interview went well!!, besides probing on my experience and qualifications I was also told about the organisation and what I can expect from SCM as an Employer. After the interview I was eager to hear back from them and within days I received another call asking for references....(Yeahhhh!) To me this signalled a move in the right direction. After my references were completed I received the call I have been waiting on...I was offered the job!!! Double Yeahh!!!!

My experience with the team @ SCM was very positive! I think I was regularly updated on the status of my application and was also given the opportunity to speak with members of the exisiting team to gain insights into the Manager's Leadership style, which I think was a bonus for me.

Interview Questions

• If you were doing this interview, what would be a question you would ask?   Answer Question

Senior Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2011.

Interview

Applied online, and within a week was emailed a form letter saying: "Dear Candidate, you have been selected for a 30-minute interview in regards to the position you applied for, please me at the number below to arrange a time.

Called the number and the HR "professional" had her voice-mail on "Out Of Office", but I left a message anyway as she emailed me too.

She called me back within 10-minutes, and we setup a telephone interview for early the following week.

She called promptly, and asked me the usual questions about my resume, past work experience and some questions provided to her by the hiring manager. The 30-minute interview lasted an hour-and-45-minutes, but that was okay, because it went very well -- there was a possible fit between my experience and skills and what she was looking for, and it was obvious we both saw it.

She asked me to complete a Personality Test, and send her some samples of my work -- which I had no problem with either. I emailed her a thank-you letter and samples of my work right away, and told her I'd complete the Personality Test on the weekend, which I did.

A week later, she calls me, and leaves me a message saying they'd like me to come in for a face-to-face meeting with herself and the hiring manager on the coming Monday. I called back, and got her voice mail, so I left a message asking her to call me. TWO DAYS go by and still no return call, so I called her again, got her voice mail, and left another message. The week comes and goes, STILL NO RETURN CALL!!!

Thought to myself, how odd it is to request a face-to-face meeting from someone, and then ignore them.

On Monday, the day which this jewel of an HR "professional" (and I use that term very loosely) had originally wanted to meet with me, I get the following email:

"I left you a message last week to set up an inperson interview. Please advise if you are interested in meeting with us."

Ahem -- I did advise, or rather would have setup the actual meeting, had this HR "professional" returned my calls, or at least emailed me in response to my voice mails left.

Although the HR "professional" may not be the best representative of the other people I'd be working with had I landed the job, she was my first and only impression of how people interact and work at this company, so, although I needed a job, I politely wrote back:

"No – but thank you for your continued interest."

Got the feeling that I was a number in a great big machine, rather than a valuable member of a team even before I got in the door. And the manner in which the HR "professional" treated me was disheartening enough, that I'd rather not risk making a hiring mistake, by continuing on with the job search with this person, so I declined the in-person interview.

Too bad, as the initial discussion went so well, but just an example of how one bad apple, can ruin a good thing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a negative situation.   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SCM Insurance Services in August 2011.

Interview

An employee of SCM Insurance Services advised me of an opening for a Receptionist and gave me a contact name and email address.
     I submitted my resume along with a cover letter and within a few days received a call from an HR representative who made me feel instantly at ease and very comfortable, which gave me a very favourable first impression of the company. A telephone interview was arranged and I was allowed time to prepare myself. The same person contacted me and the interview took place. At the end, I offered to send my last performance appraisal with my prior employer which was agreed to and when submitting same I also sent a thank you note.
     A few days later I was contacted by the same person and asked to take an online personality test for which I received sufficient direction on how to go about this. Shortly after this I was contacted again by the same person who requested we set up a face to face interview, and once again I was given ample time to prepare myself.
     Upon arriving at the office, I was greeted by the receptionist, thus allowing me the opportunity to interact with another employee of the company, who happened to hold the position I was applying for. The actual interview was with the person who would be my direct supervisor, thus another employee interaction . My impression from our talk was that she was very easy to converse with and would be very approachable. A portion of the interview involved her explaining the duties of the position, the anticipated training process, the company’s expectations and employee benefits. This gave me a good idea of what I could expect and what would be expected of me.
    I left the interview very excited about the possibility of working for this company. Within a few more days the person who conducted my face to face interview contacted me with an offer, which I accepted.
    Upon commencing my employment with the company, I found the training to be extremely good. It involved direct training from the current receptionist, completing an online orientation program and an interactive teleconference session with an HR representative, also attended by other new employees.
     I have come to interact with probably all of the employees at our office in the capacity of my job, and have found them to be very helpful , friendly and appreciative.
    This whole process has been a rewarding and positive experience and I am very pleased to have become a member of the SCM family and work in such a nurturing environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This phase went very smooth and I felt at ease during the process, as the offer was extended to me in a very clear and concise manner by the same company representative who had conducted my face to face interview, with whom I already felt comfortable with. I had done some research ahead of time, and what the company offered fit well with my expectations.
    My advice to others considering an offer would be to do some research into the salary range they are seeking, directly relating to the position applied for. Have an idea as to what benefits are important to them. Also, give some thought to the degree of flexibility they are willing to consider.