SMB Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SMB Capital

2.4

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Quite Easy, started with an easy questionnaire asking about your interests in the markets and also to measure your thought process. A bit lengthily for the online section though. Then they called me for a one on one over the phone interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

Pretty basic interview with behavioral taste. Interest in trading was probed intensely, but no brain teasers or anything like you would expect at a bank. There was an indirect attempt to find out my age by asking for my college graduation date, which I did not appreciate. Two interviewers were cordial and pleasant, no stress strategy, work culture appeared fairly informal.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Met with one of the owners to talk about my qualifications after speaking to another worker on the phone (pre-screen). I was met in their New York office by the initial interviewer, followed by speaking with the owner in his office. The interview was average in length, probably 30 minutes.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone + On-site

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Based Upon Experience

Trader Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

very easy show that you are interested in trading.

have a trading account, show you are interested in learning coachable sports are a plus

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Equity Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

1:1 interview. They do not care about your resume, but ask questions about trading.

Portfolio Manager Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied online, got an email a few days later asking for a 1st round phone interview. Simple questions - "why do you want to be a trader", "what's been going on with the markets", "tell me the last trade you made". Couple resume questions. No math, probability, or brainteasers.

2nd round phone interview was with the co-founder. Also very easy. Asked some of the same questions as the 1st round. No quantitative/brainteaser questions.

3rd round was in-person in NYC. I was coming from California, requested a plane ticket and they denied the request. Decided to delay my interview by 2 weeks when I would be on the east coast and they didn't seem happy about that.

Got to the office, asked for a bottled water and was told they don't have any. Waited for 20 minutes past my appointment time, was shown to the office of the other co-founder and he says "so, let's not waste any time. tell me what I can do for you." By this point I was pretty disgusted with what I saw so I pretended not to have my resume with me, which is obviously a huge blunder.

Received an offer via e-mail 5 days later - asking me to pay them several thousand dollars!

Interview Questions

• What's going on with the markets?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through the last trade you made.   Answer Question
    • Which major technology company had the big earnings miss last week?   1 Answer

They do not pay a salary and actually expect people to pay THEM for training! And a large majority are fired within a year anyway. I talked to people at respected prop firms and they all sneered at SMB because they do not invest in their employees.

New Developing Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SMB Capital (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Interview process felt good. It felt like because I came prepared, they were happy to share and answer all questions I had. It was casual for the first part and increasingly formal as we discussed trading more directly. Very interested in understanding my risk management style and approach towards risk in general along with trying to understand my playbook and sharing their experience with that type of play.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been trading   1 Answer

Trader Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SMB Capital.

Interview

mostly phone interviews, but I had met a partner in person prior. I spoke with all the partners at some point in the process. I was a little uncertain on compensation and fees, but decided I wanted to give it a shot

Interview Questions

• they asked personality based questions to gauge if I could be decent trader   1 Answer