SMB Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Bellafiore & Steven Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Equities Trader"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SMB / Kershner Trading Group (join venture) provides one with ALL the resources they need in order to be profitable. Capital, tech, mentorship, an environment where you can learn from 7 fig traders and the list goes on. I've been at the firm for almost 3 years and seen many come and go...in most cases people go simply because they didn't have the drive, correct mindset, and/or savings to sustain the learning period but never because the firm did not provide them with what they needed. Trading isn't easy, and if you join a firm thinking it is then you probably won't make it. There is only so much the firm can provide but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to go above and beyond if they truly want to be an elite trader. In my opinion there is no better prop firm to be at in nyc than smb /ktg.

Cons

No Cons, just a suggestion - Getting onto a team sooner and starting off with more size / risk would have been beneficial i believe, possibly would make it easier to size up down the line. With that being said once you are consistent the firm is super generous with size and capital.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, specifically:
    - Supporting traders
    - Giving proven traders the freedom to express their ideas and trades
    - Open line of communication
    - Happy hours / office culture

Would be cool to have monthly or quarterly awards for best performing junior and senior traders... could motivate traders a bit more. weekend away or new monitors etc could be cool prizes.

"Growing firm but still has its drawbacks"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing firm in the day trading world. Some 7 figure traders with solid strategies. Some traders are consistently earning 6 figures month over month which is nice to learn from. Great use of KTG technology. (the parent company of SMB) KTG has really strong indicators and smart technology that allows you to trade rebalances and imbalances which most firms technology does not allow. KTG supplies all the capital and technology which is a big step up from the SMB tools, they sell to the general public. Firm is moving in the right direction as they are starting to hire more quants. The firm has a product called cloudquant that allows you to trade black boxes.

Cons

Splits are terrible compared to a lot of firms. Starts below 50/50 and max out at 70%. Training for younger traders has nothing to do with the firms main strategies so if you are new to the day trading world this will probably set you back 6 months until you join a team. Training seems outdated and partners who run the training are not profitable traders so its tough to listen too. Very spread firm from top to bottom. Success rate of new traders is lower than most firms but those that make it seems to make a higher return.

Advice to Management

More competitive splits and lower desk fees. It can cost upwards of 4000 a month before you ever make a single trade. Get rid of training program and allow traders to join teams earlier, The old school videos are useless.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SMB Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financial rewards, PHI, Maternity Pay, Illness Pay

Cons

Line of communication a bit blurred.

Advice to Management

Be more open to staff

SMB Capital Response

Apr 2, 2018 – Partner

this is a fake review. SMB Capital has never had a sales manager. We are a trading desk.

"Best Technology- Worst training- ok trading deals"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time

Pros

Kershner trading group who has a joint venture with SMB supplies the capital and technology to trade. The platform is the best on the street and does give a big edge over the competition.

Cons

Training was horrible. I came to this firm for its reputation of training but it was nothing more than outdated youtube type videos for strategies that do not work. I learned quickly from older traders to not listen to them and focus on what the team coaches teaching.

Advice to Management

Both NY partners are not good traders or teachers. Stay in the office and let the traders trade.

"Fully committed to developing highly successful traders"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive of traders as they develop, patience with traders who show potential. Great environment to learn from some of the best traders in the world. Proprietary platform provides unlimited possibility to develop new ideas. Access to different markets when looking for edge. Access to plenty of capital. Great culture that emphasizes process and hard work.

Cons

Hard to come up with any cons that don't apply to trading in general. Bottom line is you need to be fully committed to trading for a living.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in access to new markets.

"SMB Capital / Kershner Trading Group, New York City office"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

strong python scripting tools; generous with buying power for consistently profitable traders; new/developing traders "graduate to" a team headed by a senior trader, where there is opportunity to contribute to knowledge / strategy base and receive valuable mentorship in return; highly structured training program for brand new traders

Cons

skill development, especially with the python tools, requires lots of self-direction and stamina; quite modest risk (i.e. buying power, daily drawdown limit, etc) given to new traders, which means little earning potential, but that's chiefly because nearly all new traders initially lack the skills and knowledge base to trade profitably on the intraday timeframe; some "siloing" of knowledge / strategies among individual teams

Advice to Management

keep investing in team development; better incentivize that some work be done for the "good of the company" rather than just for the "good of the individual" or the "good of the team"

"This is where you want to go if you want to trade for a living"

Current Employee - Head Trader Options Trading Desk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Head Trader Options Trading Desk in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In brief, the founders of SMB have a true passion for sharing their deep knowledge of intraday equity, futures and options trading with the traders in the firm. Unlike other prop firms which simply provide capital, SMB is obsessed with helping traders constantly improve and grow as traders. Guest speakers, educational talks and training sessions are constantly made available to the traders on our desk. If you bring the effort, SMB will bring the resources and education to you with a passion.

Cons

I am not sure that I can think of a negative. I am thoroughly enjoying working with the team here at SMB.

"Recommended!"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full capitalization, infrastructure for many different kinds of trading, access to experienced, consistently profitable traders, culture of sharing & learning.

Cons

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

"Excellent Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent hands on training program that includes daily access to partners with an emphasis on the importance of hard work, communication, being part of a team and developing your strengths
    Morning meeting highlighting the stocks in play with technical and fundamental analysis
    Great culture where the employees get along with one another and everyone is happy to answer questions and share their experiences
    Amazing state of the art technology that gives me an edge against my competitors in the marketplace
    Collaborative approach where 7 figure traders lead teams and help to mentor younger traders by sharing their trading ideas and talking through stocks they are trading in real time

Cons

Becoming a successful trader takes time. Myself included, people generally think that success will come quickly. This is not true. Becoming a consistently profitable trader is a process where the breakthrough often comes long after the hard work, dedication and long hours is put in. There is nothing that SMB can do to change that realization. However; I am sure many people will blame management for their lack of success. At the end of the day, there is nothing that either partner can do to change the fact that the majority of traders fail.
    The only con that I can think of is that there can be better communication with regards to locating shares of stock in order to get short when stocks are hard to borrow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Bring in the best talent that you can. Keep encouraging traders to utilize technology to their advantage and never let negativity get in the way of what you are trying to build.

10. "Smb"

Pros

Good work place love working here I just can't say enough about this place. I really love the pay. And paid sick leave is wonderful.

Cons

Everything is just wonderful I have not ran into any problems so far.