SMB Capital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Michael Bellafiore & Steven Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fully committed to developing highly successful traders"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive of traders as they develop, patience with traders who show potential. Great environment to learn from some of the best traders in the world. Proprietary platform provides unlimited possibility to develop new ideas. Access to different markets when looking for edge. Access to plenty of capital. Great culture that emphasizes process and hard work.

Cons

Hard to come up with any cons that don't apply to trading in general. Bottom line is you need to be fully committed to trading for a living.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in access to new markets.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SMB Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financial rewards, PHI, Maternity Pay, Illness Pay

Cons

Line of communication a bit blurred.

Advice to Management

Be more open to staff

SMB Capital Response

Apr 2, 2018 – Partner

this is a fake review. SMB Capital has never had a sales manager. We are a trading desk.

"Trader"

Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 7 figure traders to learn from
    - Access to large amounts of capital
    - Patience from partners as long as you're consistent
    - Relaxed atmosphere
    - Fantastic software
    - Advanced technology

Cons

- Training is terrible. Outdated. hinders the learning curve. New traders have to relearn how to trade once they join a team.
    - Partners reluctant to spend money on office culture; food, drinks, snacks etc.
    - Management style is poor and inconsistent.
    - They start new traders with tiny size and risk.
    - Forced to trade outdated strategies during the training program.

Advice to Management

Stop counting the cents, and spend more time, energy, and money on your traders and office culture.

"Best Technology- Worst training- ok trading deals"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time

Pros

Kershner trading group who has a joint venture with SMB supplies the capital and technology to trade. The platform is the best on the street and does give a big edge over the competition.

Cons

Training was horrible. I came to this firm for its reputation of training but it was nothing more than outdated youtube type videos for strategies that do not work. I learned quickly from older traders to not listen to them and focus on what the team coaches teaching.

Advice to Management

Both NY partners are not good traders or teachers. Stay in the office and let the traders trade.

"SMB Capital / Kershner Trading Group, New York City office"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

strong python scripting tools; generous with buying power for consistently profitable traders; new/developing traders "graduate to" a team headed by a senior trader, where there is opportunity to contribute to knowledge / strategy base and receive valuable mentorship in return; highly structured training program for brand new traders

Cons

skill development, especially with the python tools, requires lots of self-direction and stamina; quite modest risk (i.e. buying power, daily drawdown limit, etc) given to new traders, which means little earning potential, but that's chiefly because nearly all new traders initially lack the skills and knowledge base to trade profitably on the intraday timeframe; some "siloing" of knowledge / strategies among individual teams

Advice to Management

keep investing in team development; better incentivize that some work be done for the "good of the company" rather than just for the "good of the individual" or the "good of the team"

"This is where you want to go if you want to trade for a living"

Current Employee - Head Trader Options Trading Desk in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Head Trader Options Trading Desk in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In brief, the founders of SMB have a true passion for sharing their deep knowledge of intraday equity, futures and options trading with the traders in the firm. Unlike other prop firms which simply provide capital, SMB is obsessed with helping traders constantly improve and grow as traders. Guest speakers, educational talks and training sessions are constantly made available to the traders on our desk. If you bring the effort, SMB will bring the resources and education to you with a passion.

Cons

I am not sure that I can think of a negative. I am thoroughly enjoying working with the team here at SMB.

"Recommended!"

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full capitalization, infrastructure for many different kinds of trading, access to experienced, consistently profitable traders, culture of sharing & learning.

Cons

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

"Excellent Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SMB Capital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent hands on training program that includes daily access to partners with an emphasis on the importance of hard work, communication, being part of a team and developing your strengths
    Morning meeting highlighting the stocks in play with technical and fundamental analysis
    Great culture where the employees get along with one another and everyone is happy to answer questions and share their experiences
    Amazing state of the art technology that gives me an edge against my competitors in the marketplace
    Collaborative approach where 7 figure traders lead teams and help to mentor younger traders by sharing their trading ideas and talking through stocks they are trading in real time

Cons

Becoming a successful trader takes time. Myself included, people generally think that success will come quickly. This is not true. Becoming a consistently profitable trader is a process where the breakthrough often comes long after the hard work, dedication and long hours is put in. There is nothing that SMB can do to change that realization. However; I am sure many people will blame management for their lack of success. At the end of the day, there is nothing that either partner can do to change the fact that the majority of traders fail.
    The only con that I can think of is that there can be better communication with regards to locating shares of stock in order to get short when stocks are hard to borrow.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Bring in the best talent that you can. Keep encouraging traders to utilize technology to their advantage and never let negativity get in the way of what you are trying to build.

9. "Smb"

Pros

Good work place love working here I just can't say enough about this place. I really love the pay. And paid sick leave is wonderful.

Cons

Everything is just wonderful I have not ran into any problems so far.

"They gave me a shot"

Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I worked at SMB Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to say that many reviews of SMB are just downright, 100% wrong.

I came to this firm in 2015 as part of a hired class. SMB gave me an opportunity to develop into a great equities intraday trader, which I did not successfully accomplish during my time there. I was surrounded by a number of very successful traders (P/L is openly shared on the desk through our blotters, so I know what many people were making), and I was even paired up with a mentor. I simply could not overcome my own self and master intraday equities trading.

SMB has a great culture of working hard to get better as a trader and as a person each and every day. It's not just some slogan they use, it's a real culture. I will always look back and wish I could have been successful there.

I had every opportunity to go in the direction I wanted - whether that be scalping, algorithmic models, intraday position trading, news plays, stocks in play, low float biotechs, etc. The firm really gives traders all the resources and technology - it's just up to the trader to find their niche and excel.

In fact, I could have simply copied trades from the more successful traders at first, and built up some success. In hindsight, I should have had a much smaller ego and done more of this. I was stubborn in my ways and kept forcing the way of trading that I thought was best - and that was clearly the wrong way to approach things.

SMB provides a fair profit split, and reasonable desk fees (which are very low for newer traders to give them a better chance at not getting eaten up in fees).

In essence, what I'm saying is that even though I was let go from this firm, I really do not fault them for it. They gave me the seat, the capital, the technology, the coaching, and I fully accept the responsibility of me not achieving greatness there. I think too many people don't make it as a trader at a prop firm, and then go off and talk really poorly about the firm as a means of removing that responsibility from themselves.

Cons

I was a bit in the dark about how much money I could lose before I would be let go. I understand the firm doesn't want to stick to any hard rules on this, and be discretionary in their hiring and firing process, but I do wish I would have known what number I should not have drawn down to before I was really in hot water with management.

It was tough because there was no salary, but that was something I came into the situation with full awareness of- SMB told me from the get go, that there would be no salary. So, this isn't really a knock on the firm, but just an honesty about the structure that made it difficult for me.