STA Travel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

STA Travel Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2017

2.3

Travel Expert Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview

Short phone interview followed by 20 minute in person interview with supervisor and manager. Very laid back. Spent most of interview talking about personal travel experience. Rest of interview was focused on general customer service experience.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at STA Travel (Chandler, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by face to face, the interview was very casual and comfortable.
    Everyone involved was very friendly, and I was at ease immediately. I would recommend STA, as a potential career.

Interview Questions

• Where's your favorite travel destination   1 Answer

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel (Lewisville, TX).

Interview

Very Quick
    Very laidback
    Company knows what they want
    Got a phone call from HR, came in for my 1 on 1 and had an offer letter by the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• Can’t emphasize enough how important it is to ask questions about the company when you go into the interview. When they ask “So, do you have any questions for me?” respond with something thoughtful that will prove your interest in the opportunity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview

Straight Forward. Applied Online, and received the call asking for me to come in for a interview shortly there after. Perfect situation for a first job. Great company to learn quality of work.

Interview Questions

• What qualities can you bring to the team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Brand Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview

Applied for position in person (turning in resume)
    Got a call for an interview
    Interview- job offer on the spot

Travel Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)).

Interview

Two people from the team (manager and assistant manager) took me across the street to a cafe for coffee (there was no empty room in the office for us to use). Made me feel relaxed straight away. They used a rubric of questions and one of them asked a lot of follow up questions. The interview was 45 minutes - an hour long. Usually they are a lot shorter than that I believe...

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail a travel experience you had (make us want to go there!)   Answer Question

Travel Expert Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel.

Interview

15min phone interview, generally asked about travel experiences and why I want this job, as well as being told a bit about what the job entails.
    Then second interview instore, including a 5min presentation on a country of my choice. Also a short 'pop quiz' about various countries and cities

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer and a time a customer was particularly difficult.   1 Answer

Travel Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at STA Travel (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Initial online application to explain any relevant experience and previous job roles. Then there is a short phone interview with some brief questions .
    Invited to store for an interview. Very relaxed atmosphere in line with the company. Role play at selling an object. Standard interview questions. Really tried to make clear it is a sales role and not just talking about travelling all day.

Account Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2017.

Interview

It is a phone interview and the phone was ring on time. There have two interviewers to ask questions about how much u know about the company and want you to introduce yourself. Both of the interviewers are quite friendly but not so patient to heard.

Travel Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at STA Travel (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview is a group assessment day nearby their main office in Surry Hills. There were about 20 candidates when I attended in early 2017. It starts with an introduction to STA Travel by someone from senior management. Make sure you listen to the things that he/she says about the values of STA Travel - they want you to show you have them too!

The first thing you are asked to do is stand up in front of the group and introduce yourself. Be brief, confident and genuine, and speak clearly! Stand up and tell them why working for the travel industry means something to you personally.

The first exercise is a short maths and general travel knowledge test that you do individually. It's pretty easy - not designed to catch you out, but to make sure you have some trivial knowledge of the world, and a functional ability to use basic maths. However, there is one exercise right at the end where you have to write an email in response to an aggressive customer. Make sure that in this email you show you are committed towards doing what the customer asked ASAP, and rather than acknowledge his/her anger, you thank them for their patience and state proactively what you are going to do.

Next up is a group exercise about being stranded on a desert island. The exercise is designed to show your teamwork and leadership skills. The trick here is to be a good listener and to be helpful to the group in getting the job done. If you show you can help the group enjoy the exercise too, that's a big bonus. Don't be a dictator! But also, don't be too laid back - make sure you actively participate.

[Tea break] P.S. Consider bringing some food - they don't provide any.

In the final exercise, you have to sell a holiday to the group. It needs to go for 5-7 days, but you are not given any specific information about where they want to go, or what their travel desires are. You need to think about a trip that you've done in the past that you really enjoyed, then try to convince people that it's something they want to do too! Give a little bit of detail about the itinerary etc, but more importantly, talk about the emotional aspects of it - e.g. how friendly the locals are, or how soft the sand is, or something amazing about the local food. Show enthusiasm about the holiday - like you want to go there again yourself.

That's it for the group activities! After another short break, they invite the people they want into a room, and the others are asked to leave - presumably in a gentle way! The successful candidates are given an individual interview time for later in the day or another day, depending on circumstances. Go have some lunch!

[Lunch break]

The individual interviews are held at either the head office or in an STA Travel store nearby. Either way, it's short and very much like a normal interview. Don't get too excited about the location of the interview - it might not be the store you end up working in. You'll be interviewed by a Store Manager or District Manager, and maybe someone else. Usually one interviewer. Again, be genuine and confident. You'll be asked questions about teamwork, conflict management, your values, why you want to work for STA Travel, sales experience etc. As with all interviews, it's not about 'selling' yourself. The best thing to do is to put your best foot forward and show them the best you can be. If that fits in with the company's values, then you'll be the right person for the job. If it doesn't then you'll probably be miserable at the job later down the track anyway.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about previous sales jobs you've had in the past   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for STA Travel?   Answer Question
    • What countries have you been to in the past?   Answer Question
    • What is your favourite place you have visited in the past? Why?   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of how you dealt with a situation of conflict in the past   Answer Question