SUSE Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SUSE Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2017

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SUSE.

Interview

Two phone interviews. First one went well. Interviewer suggested a department/program I would be managing (somewhat different that the job description). Said I would be contacted by his manager for a second phone interview. Second interview was terrible. From first question, the interviewer questioned my answers. Either too detailed, and then not detailed enough. Finally asked about the program and what I knew. Started talking about the one the first interviewer talked about, but that was wrong. Interviewer told me I should have studied about the program more.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I interviewed at SUSE (Dallas, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

I was recruited. It was a simple process, clear communication and follow up. I had about 5 interviews, two with peers and 3 with the management team. There wasn't a whole lot of negotiating the salary, but they do pay well if you can make your number. The HR and management team were great to work with.

Interview Questions

• Questions about competition... strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Junior Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SUSE.

Interview

1. A short call from hr manager. Several questions about relocation and earliest starting date, nothing special or technical.

2. An interview with 2 possible teammates. Questions about previous job and projects.

3. ??? It was promised that I would receive a feedback in about 2 weeks after stage 2 but actually I didn't. After 2 weeks I asked hr manager for a feedback once more and he asked me to wait a week more and... silence. Probably I wasn't a good candidate but they should have send a reject. It looks very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Q: What are you proud for among the tasks you did on the previous job? Why? Was it difficult?
      Q: Which technologies have you used?

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SUSE.

Interview

I wasn't exactly from this industry, but have very relevant skillsets; quite excited to have an interview with the hiring manager. However from the beginning, this person sounds rather detached, indifferent, and less interested. Since i was a bit rusted in interview, it took a bit longer in the "tell me about yourself" question, and the comment i got was quite sarcastic when i apologized for taking too long, "yeah, it took 15 minutes". How appalling! While it was my turn to ask questions, the answers i got were very brief, 2-3 sentences. My last question was about my less relevant industry, the answer was "yeah, we cannot rule out candidates w/o the industry experience, but if there's good fit candidates from the industry, we will likely choose him/her". Very obviously the interviewer had very little interest in my profile in the first place given my lack of industry experience. If that's the case, why on earth wasting my time on conducting this interview? I'd rather not take time preparing an interview as a run-with candidate. I took days to prepare for this interview but i was merely waste of time; bottom line, the interviewer is not such a person I'd like to work for, even if the firm has a good reputation.

QA Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SUSE.

Interview

I applied for a QA and after only 5 minutes they asked me how I feel about applying to a more technical job. The questions were easy to answer. Nothing extraordinary. The biggest problem was the spoken English of the interviewer. Barely understood some things, had to ask many time if he can repeat the question. Even though they said I will be noticed about their decision, no answer had been received. Lack of professionalism.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SUSE (Prague (Czech Republic)).

Interview

Three interviewers introduced themselves. One of them told how the interviewing process works(1-2 interviews is normal).
    Then they asked to introduce myself. Then asked questions and after approximately 25 minutes they asked me a few more organisational questions like if I was willing to relocate, what salary did I want.

Then they asked me if I had questions. At the 29th minute the HR said we needed to finish and the other questions could be sent via email.

NOTE:
    I was NOT told that the interview was going to be technical. I was told it was just about my background without any preparation needed.

Interview Questions

• 1) What is your experience with linux
      2) Describe what happens from pushing the start button to entering the OS
      3) What method do you use to learn new skills/ new things?
      4) When does the kernel get loaded?
      5) why are you interested in Suse?
      6) how do you automatically startup services in linux?
      7) How would you debug a non working service?
      8) what is initial ram disk?
      9) what is a loop device?
      10) what is the difference between UDP and TCP protocols

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SUSE in August 2014.

Interview

Applied on company website, reached out via email within 1 week to join a conference call with two persons: HR representative and a solution architect. Logged in the conference, and only the solution architect was there. Talked a bit about technical projects in the CV, waiting for the HR person to join. HR person joined late, and presented herself saying she did not have time, so to try to give short answers. Classical questions on product management, motivation, strength/weaknesses nothing particularly challenging.I did not shine, but I was definitely decent and polite with them. At the end of the call HR committed to let me know about the outcome via email/phone. After one week and no communication, I dropped an email. Had no response to my email or any other communication. Very poor interview experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SUSE (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2010.

Interview

It was the campus placement Interview. I had 3 interviews. 2 technical and 1 HR. I was asked mostly on C, Shell scripting and Algorithms. But yeah questions were tricky. Other than that they interviewed on my aptitude and problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• How can you change the extension of all .c files to .h in a given folder using shell script.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nuremberg (Germany)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SUSE (Nuremberg (Germany)) in March 2016.

Interview

Es mussten drei Interviews absolviert werden. Alle Interviews fanden in englischer Sprache statt.

1. Telefoninterview:
    Das Telefoninterview wurde mit einem Recruiter von Human Resources geführt. Die entsprechende Person war in Newbury, England stationiert. Dieses Gespräch beinhaltete keinen technischen Part. Vielmehr wurden zunächst einfach Daten aufgenommen und grundsätzliche Dinge wie die Bereitschaft Umzuziehen etc. abgefragt. Im Gespräch wurden u.a. auch Standardfragen wie "Was ist ihre größte Stärke?" gestellt.
    Das Interview verlief gut, ohne Auffälligkeiten und dauerte ca. 15min.

2. Face-to-face Interview:
    Das Interview fand in Nürnberg statt. Anwesend waren drei Mitglieder des Teams, in dem ich arbeiten würde. Das Interview beinhaltete neben einem allgemeinen auch einen großen technischen Teil und dauerte ca. 1.5h. Der technische Teil war auf die spezifische Position zugeschnitten. Die Fragen waren herausfordernd bis schwer, aber fair. Der allgemeine Teil beinhaltete u.a. auch Fragen zur Firmengeschichte, welche Produkte das Unternehmen ausmachen, warum man bei dem Unternehmen arbeiten will, wie man von dem Job gehört hat etc.
    Das Interview verlief ebenfalls gut und ohne Auffälligkeiten und dauerte, wie schon erwähnt, 1.5h.

3. Pair-Programming Session:
    Als letztes folgte ein rein praktisch-technisches Interview. Dieses Interview wurde remote über eine allgemein verfügbare VOIP geführt. Der Teamleiter frage meinen ssh Schlüssel an und gewährte mir Zugriff auf eine EC2 Maschine. Dort teilten wir uns eine Tmux-Session, die Code für ein Programm enthielt. Die Programiersprache wurde mir einen Tag zuvor mitgeteilt. (Ich hatte wenig Erfahrung in dieser Sprache.) Das Program stand in klarem Bezug zur ausgeschriebenen Position. Mir wurde das Programm erklärt. Anschließend wurden mir Aufgaben gestellt, die ich lösen musste; d.h. ich musste den entsprechenden Code schreiben bzw. Lösungsvorschläge machen. Das Internet durfte ich nutzen, um ggf. Library-Funktionen und ähnliches nachzusehen. Dieser Teil war, wie man vermuten kann, der schwerste, aber auch derjenige, der in der Retrospektive am meisten Spaß gemacht hat.
    Das Interview verlief, ohne Auffälligkeiten und dauerte ca. 1h.

Interview Questions

• Warum wollen sie bei uns arbeiten?
      Was wissen sie über die Firma?
      Wie kam es, dass sie bei verschiedenen Projekten so aktiv geworden sind?