Samsung Research America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (New York, NY).

Interview

Got the chance from campus career fair. The interviewer was very nice and friendly. Two algorithms question were asked. Because I prepared for job-hunting so late that both the questions I didn't solve before the interview. But the interviewer was nice to explaining and discuss the question clearly so I can get some hints by active communication.

Interview Questions

• One was three sum and one was longest common subsequence. Both are from leetcode.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2017.

Interview

First round, is 1-hour Skype interview with 3 people. Asking questions about my projects about 40 minutes, and left 20 minutes for some coding questions. Feel difficult because do not fit this position quite well.

Intern Interview

Interview

I received a mail from an employee of samsung research america and did phone interview twice.
    I've got an offer from human resource team, but I didn't accept the offer.
    The salary was average.

Interview Questions

• Comparison between general-purpose processor and special-purpose processor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

its good. he asked a lot basic programming language knowledge. like what is dead lock? and then he asked some previous project experience, and and why do you choose samsung? why do you think you match this position,

Interview Questions

• how do you do do when you don't have enough information to start a project?   Answer Question

Product Innovation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Samsung asked me to do a 10-20 slide PowerPoint presentation (for FREE).

They told me to "leverage whatever data you have at your disposal to support your argument." I spent two weeks on the deck only for them to tell me it was a "data dump."

Samsung claims to be an innovative company, yet they ask candidates to do work for free. Scandalous! I regret not telling this company my true feelings. No other company has asked me to do "homework" during the interview process except Samsung.

Interview Questions

• Question 1: If you were to develop a category called “Smart Home Appliances” from scratch, how would you define “smart” appliances and what types of concepts come to your mind (at the platform level?)

Question 2: The refrigerator is traditionally not thought of as a technology product but as a key appliance used by the entire household, it occupies a central role in the kitchen. Are there opportunities for the refrigerator to become a technology appliance as well as a home appliance? What consumer benefits/scenarios should we support and what technologies (hardware and/or software) are needed to enable this to happen?

Question 3: One of the most polarizing “innovations” to cooking has been the microwave oven. Despite widespread adoption, many professionals despise them. Present your point-of-view on the impact the microwave oven has had on modern cooking and then introduce a lifestyle trend that could influence the evolution of the microwave. Then present your idea for the microwave, evolved.

Question 4: Samsung currently manufactures large scale appliances. Do you think there is an opportunity for Samsung to play in the small appliance space? If so, what do you see as the market and product opportunity?
      1 Answer

Software Engineer (Backend Engineer) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America in February 2017.

Interview

The HR contacted me to setup thee telephonic interview. Then telephonic interview was technical. Interviewer asked me few questions on my resume. Particular questions on projects and alternative solutions for the designed solution. Then he gave me a coding problem to solve on colabedit software.

Interview Questions

• Given a string containing 'a' & 'b' . maximize the maximum length of a substring consisting of equal letters, by changing no more than k characters of the original string.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview

HR prescreen ( phone) - respond in 2-5 bi day
    Hiring manager / same position personnel - not your direct report ( phone)
    Onsite interview ( final) - will take almost whole day to finish the 1:1 interview with each teammate

Interview Questions

• Technical questions ( detailed) understanding about the project and android app technology.   Answer Question
    • HR process is quick

Phone interviewed by the same position ( not direct report) .I was surprised by those very private questions asked in the interview like my family condition - how old are my kids ? How did you get your degree? Who takes care your kids if you need to work late to take care the international conference call... etc.its very unprofessional and feel not being respected.
      Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I don't want to sound dramatic, but interviewing for Samsung was probably the worst experience and company that I have ever interviewed for.
    Recruiter contacted me, sent me a home test. I did that.
    He said he would schedule a technical phone interview. He didn't. I inquired about it, he said he would and again he didn't. Eventually he did and I had a phone technical interview.
    It has been almost a month since, and I still haven't heard back from Samsung. They don't even bother sending a rejection template email to their candidates.
    I should have known better from all the negative reviews on Glassdoor, but I was wowed by the brand name.

Interview Questions

• Basic string manipulation question - reversing, lower/upper casing words in a sentence etc'.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

four tech rounds and one round talking with hr. SRA is more like Korean company. Everything is serious, clean and well organized. One interviewer is not so good, the others are pretty good. HR is kind.

Interview Questions

• Permutation of one array ang many basic java knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Development Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had applied online.I had a brief call with a recruiter where in she told me to give a codility test.The codility test had 2 programming questions.I got a reject after a week.