Samsung Research America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 5, 2017

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (New York, NY).

Interview

Got the chance from campus career fair. The interviewer was very nice and friendly. Two algorithms question were asked. Because I prepared for job-hunting so late that both the questions I didn't solve before the interview. But the interviewer was nice to explaining and discuss the question clearly so I can get some hints by active communication.

Interview Questions

• One was three sum and one was longest common subsequence. Both are from leetcode.   Answer Question

Oct 30, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review—we're glad to hear about your positive interview experience, welcome to SRA!

Strategy and Operations Manager Interview

Interview

I had a very bad interview experience with Samsung Pay. So the recruiter reached out to me and scheduled an interview with the hiring manager. For the first interview, the hiring manager was 15 minutes late and we were able to talk for about 15 minutes on the phone. So he said that he would want to talk more and scheduled another 20-minute interview to make up for the time lost. For the second interview, 25 minutes into the interview and no call. The recruiter then emailed me and wanted to schedule for the 3rd interview cause the hiring manager was busy. And my 3rd interview ended up with no call. No email afterwards. I would say this is highly unprofessional in the way they conduct interviews and treat candidates. Such a waste of time to prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

Samsung Research America Response

Oct 30, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to review. At SRA we strive to create a positive and organized interview experience and we are so sorry to hear about this frustrating and unprofessional... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Had the worst interview experience ever. I have interviewed with the top and the small sized startups. However, the experience in this case was incredibly awful.

If you are applying here, DONT !! Respect your time.

I got contacted by a recruiter to join Samsung Pay team. Lets call this recruiter Mr. Incompetent. We fixed a time to have an initial conversation over the phone. First phone call and Mr. Incompetent was late by 2 hours. He called me at an odd time during which i was busy but still went on to talk even when i said i cant. We did not talk about the team or role or requirements at all.
    Mr. Incompetent sent a codility test link. There were 2 questions and they were very easy. Total time limit was 12 hours, however i completed in 1 hour.

Few days passed by and i did not receive any feedback at all. I sent emails to Mr. Incompetent, about the feedback and he used to reply after 12-20 hours. Finally I got a confirmation about the test results and was called for onsite.

I wanted to know about the team, requirements, and the role so that i can prepare for success and hence "tried" setting up a phone call with Mr. Incompetent. After 2-3 days and regular follow up my request was answered and we set up a time to talk. My emails were replied only after following up 2-3 times. Not even the president of the country is as busy.

As usual, Mr. Incompetent did not show up for the call. I sent an email about the whereabouts, to which a reply came after 1.5 days, that he had forgotten about the phone call. We set up another time to talk.

To fix for the second appointment, i used to be prompt in sending my availability but never got a reply within 10 hours. Finally we set up another time to talk, which Mr. Incompetent again missed.

This time I got pissed off and asked him to pass me to another recruiter or his manager. Which recruiter misses calls with a potential candidate? Which recruiter does not check emails during the work day? Mr. Incompetent !!

I used to get cold emails at a particular time from him, to get in a call in next 5mins. He thinks he is the only one busy. Then on, i just scheduled the onsite without talking to him.
    Even the onsite schedule email confirmation was so erratic and incomplete. The onsite confirmation email had only the time range. No slots, no names of the people interviewing me, no information about the areas i would be tested in and by whom. After another 5 follow ups, i got that information.

a week before the onsite interview, i get email from Mr. Competent saying that he is canceling the interview based on how I approached him in the emails and he would not like to bring that in the team. What a joke !! If this was the case, i wonder how did he get hired in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Coding: Array problem to find max distance amongst elements based on some criteria   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America in September 2017.

Interview

Firstly submit the resume online, then after one week get phone interview schedule. Phone interview with three interviewers. Ask about projects and background. Projects are in more details. Several questions about your skills, such as CUDA programming. After one week schedule a phone chat with offer given orally. Then after several days get the e-offer.

Interview Questions

• What modification did you make on framework that you used?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

OMG.
    Worst experience.
    In the entire process YOU need to follow up with them not them following up with you.

The initial HR sent me a coding challenge. They want Java only. YES. JAVA ONLY LOL.

So I submitted my answers, I doubt if anyone can do better on those questions. Never heard back.
    Next I kept asking the Hr if there's any update and out of the blue they replied that their amazing team is not willing to move forward.

Thanks for wasting my time and effort. Don't ever go into this company. It already has poor reviews on here.

Interview Questions

Samsung Research America Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are so troubled to hear about these issues during the interview process. At SRA we are constantly working on creating a positive and seamless interview... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview

Phone Interview - I talked with manager at Samsung Pay team
    Onsite Interview - 5 people, Most of them are coding interview questions. One is very weired question but I don't remember. Everything looks fine
    I got an offer but making an official letter is really slow.

Social Media and Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I received a call 2 days after applying for the internship. The interviewer was very friendly and highly complimentary of my resume and work experience. She was quite enthusiastic about my candidacy and I believe she strongly implied that I would be selected for this internship.

The next day I received a call from her letting me know that another candidate had been selected. It was a considerable disappointment, and a bit of a shock given the degree of interest she expressed the day before. Most disappointingly, I was never given the opportunity to visit the Samsung campus and present my portfolio and speak for myself in front of her team. To her credit, she was very apologetic and compassionate when giving me the news. Apparently, she wanted to select me, but her team felt stronger about another candidate overall.

Although I am grateful to be recognized by Samsung, I think the interviewer mislead me and gave me way too much false hope. After our conversation, I was so excited because I felt certain that I would at least get the opportunity to visit the Samsung campus. I am a strong interview, and I believe being able to speak for myself in front of her team would have made a big difference. I don't think it's fair to speak so enthusiastically to a candidate (a college student, nonetheless) without the intention of even bringing them in for an interview. I suggest toning down your approach during initial phone screens if you can't really follow through with what you're implying or hinting at.

Interview Questions

Samsung Research America Response

Sep 22, 2017 – Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your honest review and feedback. We are so troubled to hear about your frustrations and overall negative experience. At SRA we are constantly striving to create a positive and... More

EE/Prototype Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung Research America.

Interview

Applied on company website. Got an email from recruiter to schedule phone interview. I gave my suitable day and time for phone interview and was flexible to change it.Recruiter didn't confirmed so after following up she told to give availability for next week.Again I gave my time availability for entire week,no confirmation for interview.Even after following up for two weeks she never replied. After three weeks again same job was posted on LinkedIn again contacted recruiter no response.

Don't waste time of job seekers!

HR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by on-site interview. Discussions around the role, the team, and company culture. Many questions regarding relevant experience and how it would impact the organization. Positive, professional and responsive recruiter and coordinator.

Interview Questions

• Hiring manager has experience in personality profiling, which made the interview a bit more tense when they shared this information.   Answer Question

Promotions Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Samsung Research America (Mountain View, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me describing the job description and going over my experience. She worked for Axelon and was extremely professional and helpful throughout the entire process. I got a phone interview with the manager and she mainly went over my experience and some problem solving questions. I ended up getting an in-person interview. It was all problem solving questions asking what feature I would add to solve this problem and how I would implement it to a developer team. I thought it went well and after answering her last question she asked if I wanted feedback now or later. I have never had an interviewer ask me, but of course I wanted to know what she thought. She told me that I was in her top three candidates and my answers were very good, but there was a candidate that had developing experience, where I don't have much of a technical background. She told me that if she doesn't end up giving me the job and I want a career in tech, that should work on being more technical, such as read every day about the industry. I have never had someone be so honest with me and offer me advice to help me get a job in the future. I didn't end up getting the job, but it was good experience and gave me something to work on.

Interview Questions

• Name an app that you do not like and how would you change it to be more successful?   Answer Question
    • What feature would you add to the Samsung Pay app to acquire more customers? Draw out a screen flow chart of your vision.   Answer Question
    • A developer is already working on a project and says he does not have time to take on your new project, how would you convince him/her that your project is significant?   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Samsung Research America in May 2017.

Interview

First round, is 1-hour Skype interview with 3 people. Asking questions about my projects about 40 minutes, and left 20 minutes for some coding questions. Feel difficult because do not fit this position quite well.