Samsung SDS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 31, 2017

2.7

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgefield Park, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (Ridgefield Park, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a 3rd party recruiter for the position. Talked to the recruiter for a phone screen. Afterwards I was told the position was on hold and 2 months passed without much progress. Then I got an email inviting me for a phone interview with hiring manager. It went well. After 3 weeks I was invited for an on-site with 5 senior directors for a panel interview. It was about an hour long and they asked me everything from pm experience to agile process. To my surprise some of the managers speak very little English (considering Samsung to be such a large international organization). Then 2 weeks passed and I was again invited for an on-site final panel interview with 4 managers, then with the hiring manager himself. All went well, I was their best candidate and they extended a verbal offer. They even proposed start dates.

This is where things got a nose-dive. I filled out the reference checks and background checks; informed all my references for potential calls. Then one afternoon the 3rd party recruiter called and told me Samsung cancelled the position because the hiring group merged with another group. And the existing PMs will fill this job role so there is no need to hire because of this 're-org'. The whole interview process took a whopping 4 months and they just cancelled the role in a snap. All of these for nothing.... a waste of people's time, resources, productivity, and i never get an apology. Samsung should re-evaluate and should be very ashamed of the entire interview process where no one comes out a winner. Definitely THE ugliest and most humiliating experience I have ever had. It also tells you how Samsung treats its candidates. Respect come from both ways. If you don't respect others' time and effort then you don't deserve to have any high caliber employees to work for you, period.

Moral of this story - Shxt happens! Don't believe anything until you start your job on the first day.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

1st stage:
    3rd part recruiter coached and set up phone screen with HM (Also a recruiter) based in NYC.

2nd stage:
    On site interview (Hiring Manager somehow found a way to send me to an address that has not been used in over a year).

I met with the following:
    The recruiter I was replacing.
    A recruiter that has a poor relationship with the Hiring manager.
    A HRBP that supports the entire BU. Who left the meeting expecting that I had the job (Samsung SDSA is a 500 person company/division)
    At the end my host was very honest about the environment and the way this Korean owned business is run. This was the best part of the interview process, very refreshing meeting.

3rd Stage:
    Should have gone to offer instead the 3rd party recruiter posted an updated version of the description originally shared with me. The updated very now has this line added:

"Under total 10 years experience working in a recruiting role – Corporate side within the IT industry"

^^ this is relevant in that I had a deeper rapport with the HRBP than with the very junior recruiting team. I hate to even think about this but I think I might have been discriminated against for my age. Where the staffing agency has been told to find someone with less experience, could this be a synonym for younger?

(for reference: I'm 44 and have 20yrs of recruiting experience with much of it in a fortune 500 environment)

Here's the full Job Description:

Technical Recruiter with Fortune 500 company
    NEW
    quick apply

Job description
    Must have hands on experience recruiting technical roles from Software Engineers, Data Analytics, Big Data and Solution Architects.
    Experience partnering with hiring managers, interviewing teams as well as all internal/external teams
    Exceptional eye for talent, sharp screening and interviewing skills
    Strong tech industry knowledge with ability to understand relevant technical and non-technical skills
    Ability to handle confidential information
    Good in record keeping, follow ups, MS office/excel reports, PPT reports and other HR
    Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate with all levels of management
    Technical recruiting background is a must.

Responsible
    Manage the full-cycle recruiting process
    Find, engage and activate passive candidates
    Screen resumes and interview candidates to determine fit
    Facilitate the interviewing and hiring decision-making process with interviewing teams and hiring managers
    Negotiate and close offers

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you know about the business.
      2. Tell us about your relevant recruiting experience. (I didn't argue that all recruiting experience is relevant)
      3. Any questions for us?
      1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Samsung SDS.

Interview

Got a call from HR.
    Set up interview over the phone.
    We went over projects done before. Hireing manager talked about the full dev cycle to be performed during work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (New York, NY).

Interview

This interview process a few years ago was very minimal. It didn't require a lot to pass. But this is only for non-technical and non-engineers. There are no tests or panel interview sessions for business and operational positions. However, a lot has changed since a few years ago but I hear that it's still not a challenging process. There was one phone interview and one in-person interview. Very generic questions were asked, like "what are your strengths and weaknesses".

Java Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ridgefield Park, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (Ridgefield Park, NJ) in April 2015.

Interview

phone interview was for 30 mins. They had a list of questions and started asking straight for front end first like HTML , jquery , javascript. and then they asked more for core java.

Interview Questions

• what is abstract classes and difference between abstract and interfaces?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (Troy, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Asked me to introduce myself in English, Korean and why I would like to work there, what makes me an ideal candidate, and they should hire me. There was a person from HR along with the manager. Was very "korean" tradition.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Samsung SDS (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. It was arranged in timely manner. I met with 3 team members during panel interview. The discussion was very interesting, as well as opportunity itself

Program Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Samsung SDS.

Interview

I was referred by another employee. They interviewed me in person first, then they asked me to come back for second interview and to meet the team. Then they send my paper work to HR. HR contacted me and send me the employment application forms, consent for background check, and drug test. Then they sent me an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• They ask you if you live close by because they want to make sure you get to work everyday and early.   Answer Question

Asian style of management and culture

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone interview followed by a single face to face interview. Overall process took about 2 weeks in getting the summer internship position for the Business Process Operations department. Phone interview was very general but the face to face interview was with the HR hiring manager, and she went through my resume to decide which department I could possibility be a good fit for.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Interview

I was called for an onsite interview and the questions were very vague.