Securian Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2017

2.6

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

The called me down for an interview immediately after applying. They were very organized and helpful during the process. Had to miss school for the interview. The interview last a half day and it helped to learn more about the company.

Actuarial Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

Initially, I had an on-campus interview with one of the recruiters. Then I was invited to their headquarters for an onsite interview. It was 5 interviews with different actuaries in the company.

Group Claims/Underwriting Business Support Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview, went over the job requirements, I was told I was over qualified for the position I applied for, was asked what my starting salary was and suggested I apply for another job that was more fitting. Had a face to face interview with manager and team lead. I was told the next week they wanted to move forward with an offer, they were just waiting for training dates. I was told I would know by end of that week. Almost 2 weeks later, I'm told that the manager decided to hire someone else, which is weird to say the least considering I was already advised I was getting an offer. Then I was told by the recruiter that I should apply for another, which I did, then was told "Oh that's not gonna pay you what you want" which is another weird part considering from the very start that conversation was had regarding what my salary requirements are. Seems the recruiter was either very new and didn't know what she was doing, or this may just be how this company goes through the hiring process. I decided to not pursue employment there simply because of how wishy-washy the recruiter was.

Interview Questions

• How well do you take direction?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

very friendly. it took 2 weeks to get the interview after i applied and took about 30-40 minutes long. asked very typical interview questions, to see if you are a great team worker or not.

Interview Questions

• what kind of conflict did you experience and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

Gave the recruiter my resume at a job fair then later applied for an internship position. I had a phone interview with them within a couple of weeks of applying. They contacted within a week to let me know they weren't moving forward with me.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Novi, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was interesting, but not in a good way. I submitted my resume online and received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. On the day of the interview, the managing partner called me about 15 minutes late and told me that she didn't have my resume, so I had to tell her my background. I spent a few minutes speaking and then she went on to making sure that I understood what it meant to run a referral business, live on commission, etc. Her spiel was more about weeding me out than discovering what I could bring to the company. She even told me in so many words that the person that emailed me basically selects anyone with a Finance degree for consideration - in other words, the fact that I was contacted didn't mean that I was qualified.

Nonetheless, she set up a face-to face meeting; but after sitting through it I've resolved that she only met with me out of some kind of obligation. I was in the office about an hour and I don't remember her asking me much about myself or my background. She talked a lot, and she made it clear that they seldom hire people with no experience. Also, she spent an odd amount of time telling me how hard the licensing tests are (and expensive - she said that there were 9 classes at $900 a piece???); she then belittled my MBA studies (I guess to eliminate any confidence I had about easily passing the licensing tests) by saying, "You're going for an MBA - I found that to be quite easy, all you have to do is show up".

She did go through the motions of telling about the pay structure and the training. And, she obliged all my questions - I must say that I was very turned off when I realized her limiting views on building a business. But it was when I asked her if the training and position (which was advertised as self-employment with a flexible schedule) could be worked around my full-time job for now, and she perked up and told me "absolutely not" in the most excited, definitive, relieved tone I've ever heard from an employer declining a candidate that I knew I had just wasted an hour of my life.

That said, the MP was very nice on the surface. She smiled and laughed and told stories. But I'm good at reading into what people say and the more that meeting sank in, the more I wished I would have been more outspoken and called her out on the mess she threw at me. I assume that not everyone will have the experience I had and that when presented with a candidate she wants her approach will be more welcoming. But for me, I was just left wondering, "what was that?"

Business Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

First step was a simple phone interview. Basic behavioral questions with a focus on your education and extracurricular actives starting from high school. In person interview afterwards was split into three sections. First interview went over basic behavioral questions and previous experience. Second interview focused on technical skills. Third section wasn't an interview but a chance to meet with a peer whose taken the internship in the past.

Interview Questions

• What qualities or skills would a person need for this position?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

Submitted an online application on the website, got a call from the recruiter a couple days later and we did a brief phone interview. Went on-site for an interview the next week. The first part of the interview was with the HR recruiter and was mainly based on my resume. They were particularly interested in leadership qualities. The second part of my interview was with management. Mostly behavioral questions. There was little time allotted for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important traits do you think a person needs to perform this job?   Answer Question

Interview

Behavioral questions are asked for the first portion of the interview process, a business situation (an activity where your critical thinking skills are evaluated) and a creative activity (with two managers, this tests your ability to think creatively).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team. What challenges di you encounter? What were the results?   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

First, I applied online for the Actuarial Analyst position. I was called by a very friendly recruiter from HR to set up a phone interview, and then had the phone interview a few days later with the same person. Then was invited to come to the St. Paul office for a day of interviews with various members of the actuarial departments. I had lunch with a recently hired actuary, and then 1-on-1 interviews with 4 higher up members of the actuarial departments. The whole day lasted about 5 and a half hours. Their final step in the hiring process before offering positions is to meet or talk on the phone with an industrial psychologist to get a sense of your background and other influences on your life/personality. Everyone I met with or spoke to was very friendly and welcoming.
    I had 3 actuarial exams coming in, so I was offered the position of Actuarial Associate, instead of the Actuarial Analyst position to which I had applied, which was a pleasant surprise!

Interview Questions

• Only one or two "thought process" questions, other than that the questions were typical behavioral questions.   Answer Question