Securian Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Securian Financial Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2017

2.4

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

very friendly. it took 2 weeks to get the interview after i applied and took about 30-40 minutes long. asked very typical interview questions, to see if you are a great team worker or not.

Interview Questions

• what kind of conflict did you experience and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

Gave the recruiter my resume at a job fair then later applied for an internship position. I had a phone interview with them within a couple of weeks of applying. They contacted within a week to let me know they weren't moving forward with me.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Novi, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was interesting, but not in a good way. I submitted my resume online and received an email the next day to set up a phone interview. On the day of the interview, the managing partner called me about 15 minutes late and told me that she didn't have my resume, so I had to tell her my background. I spent a few minutes speaking and then she went on to making sure that I understood what it meant to run a referral business, live on commission, etc. Her spiel was more about weeding me out than discovering what I could bring to the company. She even told me in so many words that the person that emailed me basically selects anyone with a Finance degree for consideration - in other words, the fact that I was contacted didn't mean that I was qualified.

Nonetheless, she set up a face-to face meeting; but after sitting through it I've resolved that she only met with me out of some kind of obligation. I was in the office about an hour and I don't remember her asking me much about myself or my background. She talked a lot, and she made it clear that they seldom hire people with no experience. Also, she spent an odd amount of time telling me how hard the licensing tests are (and expensive - she said that there were 9 classes at $900 a piece???); she then belittled my MBA studies (I guess to eliminate any confidence I had about easily passing the licensing tests) by saying, "You're going for an MBA - I found that to be quite easy, all you have to do is show up".

She did go through the motions of telling about the pay structure and the training. And, she obliged all my questions - I must say that I was very turned off when I realized her limiting views on building a business. But it was when I asked her if the training and position (which was advertised as self-employment with a flexible schedule) could be worked around my full-time job for now, and she perked up and told me "absolutely not" in the most excited, definitive, relieved tone I've ever heard from an employer declining a candidate that I knew I had just wasted an hour of my life.

That said, the MP was very nice on the surface. She smiled and laughed and told stories. But I'm good at reading into what people say and the more that meeting sank in, the more I wished I would have been more outspoken and called her out on the mess she threw at me. I assume that not everyone will have the experience I had and that when presented with a candidate she wants her approach will be more welcoming. But for me, I was just left wondering, "what was that?"

Business Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

First step was a simple phone interview. Basic behavioral questions with a focus on your education and extracurricular actives starting from high school. In person interview afterwards was split into three sections. First interview went over basic behavioral questions and previous experience. Second interview focused on technical skills. Third section wasn't an interview but a chance to meet with a peer whose taken the internship in the past.

Interview Questions

• What qualities or skills would a person need for this position?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

Submitted an online application on the website, got a call from the recruiter a couple days later and we did a brief phone interview. Went on-site for an interview the next week. The first part of the interview was with the HR recruiter and was mainly based on my resume. They were particularly interested in leadership qualities. The second part of my interview was with management. Mostly behavioral questions. There was little time allotted for me to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• What are the most important traits do you think a person needs to perform this job?   Answer Question

Interview

Behavioral questions are asked for the first portion of the interview process, a business situation (an activity where your critical thinking skills are evaluated) and a creative activity (with two managers, this tests your ability to think creatively).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team. What challenges di you encounter? What were the results?   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

First, I applied online for the Actuarial Analyst position. I was called by a very friendly recruiter from HR to set up a phone interview, and then had the phone interview a few days later with the same person. Then was invited to come to the St. Paul office for a day of interviews with various members of the actuarial departments. I had lunch with a recently hired actuary, and then 1-on-1 interviews with 4 higher up members of the actuarial departments. The whole day lasted about 5 and a half hours. Their final step in the hiring process before offering positions is to meet or talk on the phone with an industrial psychologist to get a sense of your background and other influences on your life/personality. Everyone I met with or spoke to was very friendly and welcoming.
    I had 3 actuarial exams coming in, so I was offered the position of Actuarial Associate, instead of the Actuarial Analyst position to which I had applied, which was a pleasant surprise!

Interview Questions

• Only one or two "thought process" questions, other than that the questions were typical behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Data Report Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Securian Financial.

Interview

Started with a phone call screening with basic interviewing questions. In person interview with basic behavioral questions. Then a final interview with the hiring supervisor. Was quite straightforward and didn't take too long. Got back to me within a week after the final interview. Pretty typical for a company of Securian's size.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied and 2-3 days later I was contacted by phone for a brief phone interview to see if our interested aligned. Then I was called in for a 1:1 interview with an HR rep and then the supervisor of the unit I was applying for. It was a standard interview nothing difficult was asked.

Interview Questions

• Did you help innovate/update procedures at your previous position.   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Securian Financial (Saint Paul, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

Came to campus for a brief background interview, and then I was encouraged to apply. Applied and got an on site interview. It started with a two part test. First part was called a reasoning test, and the next part was called a diagramming test. I think if you are competent programmer/developer, both parts should be no problem, just need to focus so it can be done in the time limit. Then there were two morning interviews with two people involved in the hiring. The first interviewer asked educational background questions, the second asked questions about prior experience and behavioral questions. There were a few behavioral questions where I did not have any experience with, so they were hard to answer, but with both interviews you just need to be honest about yourself and answer honestly. This concluded the parts that were to be considered in the hiring. After that though, I had lunch with a current employee where they talked about the company and work, and answered questions I had. After that, I met with the training director where he asked some more technical questions to get an understanding of what sort of knowledge I had, so training could be shaped. This was not apart of the hiring criteria, like I said earlier, the hiring criteria was the test and two morning interviews. They also paid for hotel and travel costs.