Securian Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Securian Financial Reviews

Updated May 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Securian Financial Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Christopher M. Hilger
Christopher M. Hilger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I've personally experienced fantastic work/life balance, but it depends on your manager/department" (in 22 reviews)

• "They contribute to a pension plan for you and also award a profit sharing when goals are met" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "At the time, they touted their work/life balance and flexibility but it was frowned upon in my area to work from home, even for an afternoon" (in 6 reviews)

• "No one ever leaves so if you're looking to promote within good luck trying" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Management Services/Development Intern"

Pros

Great opportunity, the company really does care about interns. Opportunity to network and learn about company is highly encouraged, with a great support system

Cons

You can get stuck in a rut if the rotation you are put in does not suit you

Advice to Management

None

2. "LPM Customer Representative"

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time

Pros

Great company! Values its employees

Cons

Have to pay to park.

"Great Benefits!"

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time

Pros

Great benefits! Really trying to be an Employer of Choice with an eye on diversity and inclusion. People who come here usually stay here!

Cons

Not great pay for the regular working guy. Not sure what "Market" rate they are looking at when they evaluate pay. Sometimes they lose sight of the details when looking at the big picture.

Advice to Management

Remember that everyone counts! A water bottle or a box of cracker jack does not pay the bills. Please take a closer look at the conservative way you pay your average employees.

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time

Pros

Stable company with strong financials, strong values and ethics, good benefits including pension

Cons

Slow to change, behind the marketplace with technology

5. "Associate Applications Analysts"

Current Employee - Associate Applications Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Applications Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are all friendly, easy to talk to management. Stable working environment, in and out at the same time most days. Working on updating the office space to utilize collaborative spaces. Clear career paths within company and they strive to promote from within.

Cons

A lot of old technology is being used, think PL-1 code. Newer development is still a bit dated, Not a whole lot of opportunity for new development for new hires. There is often a push against advancing technologies, leaving for inefficient processes used by admin areas.

Advice to Management

Keep working on updating the office and building up the culture to attract top talent.

"Protects toxic management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is decent, good job to have if you want to come in, take orders, and collect a paycheck.

Cons

Not progressive in any sense of the word. Sexist environment, retaliates against employees that challenge status quo or even just try to promote change or stick up for themselves. Got hired to make improvements to a broken work system but the pushback on ANY change was intense, and then the petty retaliation turned into major retaliation, making the job unbearable. It felt like everyone there was constantly frustrated and just waiting for another job to pan out so they could leave. Personally had the worst working experience of my entire career.

Advice to Management

Weed out your toxic, discriminatory, and retaliatory management. You know who they are from the high turnover and piling numbers of former employees talking to their supervisor's supervisor or HR. Securian's reputation is already that it's not a great place to work, and all you're doing is alienating employees and ensuring that reputation deepens. People get complacent in a job, or feel stuck entirely, and don't leave, and the ones that do are likely leaving because the culture and management is so poor. There needs to be a serious shake up of how this company operates internally. Plenty of in-fighting.

Securian Financial Response

Apr 26, 2018 – Manager of Employment Services

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience. We are proud of the workplace experienced by the majority of our associates, as evidenced by many of the responses on this site. However, we... More

7. "Not a Fast-Paced Technology Company"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Several experienced employees with 20+ years

Cons

Technology is on the slow side

"Pension & benefits good, low salary"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

11 vacation days in first year with 10 PTO days, flexible schedules, good manager (personally), once you're in, you're in. PSP and pension, employer-paid LTD, STD, basic life. Maternity - 6 weeks [partially, you vest into fully] paid, 10 weeks unpaid.

Cons

Salary is not competitive. The benefits are good, but the take-home income matters too. For the short and long run.

9. "Good pay, is it worth it though?"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Very good work life balance
    -Seems like going from IT to ET will be a great change to the company

Cons

-There doesn't seem to be very much opportunities for junior developers. Seems like management can't trust new people with responsibilities
    -Very few junior developers are in luck and land in a team with cool projects and actually get to use their skills. I was on support for numerous years with little mentorship and no recognition and so I wasn't fortunate to use my skills. At the least, I learned how to debug better but you're not going to get promoted for just that.
    -Sometimes it seems like the senior and app engineers' time are all taken up and they seem to get frustrated and it shows when they try to mentor the junior devs. It definitely makes me think should I leave...
    -You won't make friends here. Possibly only those in your new hire group.

Advice to Management

Free up some app engineer time 20%? so they can breathe a little and be able to mentor the newer people with your systems and maybe hold more IT company events to engage your associates

10. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist

I worked at Securian Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Securian for 7 years. I started in an entry level position and moved into a higher level position once I finished my degree. They offer tuition reimbursement and a lot of other great benefits.

Cons

At the time, they touted their work/life balance and flexibility but it was frowned upon in my area to work from home, even for an afternoon. It also totally depends on the manager and department because some people's teams can work from home consistently once per week.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, especially with flexibility and remote working.