Service Corporation International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

Sort:

Operation Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Austin, TX) in February 2011.

Interview

Very informal. The hiring manager did most of the talking. Not your typical hard core interview. WE went over the job description and demands of the postion. Also, we discussed what the position expectations are. Gave me a tour of the location and then we had question and Answers. Told me I had the job at the end of the intervoew.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There were no real negotiations.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial contact was through a recruiter who set up an initial phone interview with company, this lasted for about 30 minutes with a manager and was focused on whether the candidate could do the job and handle the pressure and overtime, this is followed up by an in person skill test for about two hours.

The in person skill test is not the actual interview and really feels like a wasted opportunity/time since the candidate spents half a day at the company and is only there to take the test.

Got invited to a third interview but declined. The overall process seems focused on whether the candidate can do the job but never on actually getting to know the candidate. The company also gives the impression that the candidate's time is not valuable since the test day is only for test taking, which seems very ineficiente for an interview process.

IT Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Houston, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

The interviewers and Hiring Manager was very weak as far as interview skills. It was probably the easiest interview as a developer I had ever had. The Hiring Manager just gave a BS statement about the job but it didn't really tell me what I would be working on in detail. I asked and no one seemed to really know! the Hiring Manager (an IT Director over developers) many stuttered throughout the interview. There were a couple other Sr developers asking me questions but they were a breeze. No real challanging questions. Actually I like very interactive interviews and the 3 just basically sat there like robots. I think the Sr Developers were intimidated by the stuttering Director. They seemed afraid of him (or his authority).

Interview Questions

• There really weren't any that were difficult. I am used to extremely technical developer interviews such as when I have interviewed in the oil and gas industry. The Stuttering Director asked nothing but teh Sr Developers were nice and had a very few high level questions.   1 Answer

I declined for 3 reasons:
    1) No one could really tell me the true job description or what type of work as far as development I would be doing. They just threw out general terms like .NET development
    2) The Hiring Manager (IT development Director) was not impressive at all as far as what (mannerisms and questions) i would expect as one in his position. Also the Sr Developers (I think one was an Architect) seemed VERY afraid of him. I don't want to work in an environment where everyone is afraid of the manager.
    3) The recruiting Company told me that some really good IT people were "laid off" last year and that SCI was known for its political (especially in IT) and if one got on the bad side of the VP there were gone ('laid off" ) in a flash! Also I was told that SCI's revenues are really hurting due to the masses going for Cremation (cheap) instead of traditional funeral services (costly) and SCI could lay off more at any time. It seems that SCI is one of the most political working environments in the Houston area from what I was told.

IT Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an agent recruiter to SCI. The interview process took about 2 weeks. The process started out with phone call with an Architect, followed by a face to face with the IT director and the Architect. They made decision to offer/reject decision quickly.

Interview Questions

• The phone call interview was much more technical than the face to face interview. The phone interview would ask question ranging from MVC, WCF, and Angular. In contrast, in the face to face round, the questions asked were to explain your experiences in great detail.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Since I began my career at a different office in the same company 23 years ago, My interview when I came to Georgia was very short. They already knew of my experience and let me know what my job duties would entail. We talked about my starting hourly wage and all I would have to do was learn the basic duties at this new office. We settled on an hourly wage and I reported to work that following week.

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions were what days of the week I would like to work, it was a 40 hour a week job. They asked how comfortable I was with learning different tasks particular to this new office and could I work some weekends.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Falls Church, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Short due to previously working for and personally knowing the General Manager at the location at that time; previous knowledge of job duties due to transforming from part time to full time employment

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Houston, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview from a recruiter. He scheduled an interview with the hiring manager. I interviewed and was offer the position in 2 days. Background checks, aptitude tests, drug screening, took about 2 weeks from applying to be ready to start.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses, etc. It was more of a tell me about yourself type interview, it was very laid back and personal.   Answer Question

Funeral Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Atlanta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Meet with the Manager of Funeral Home, very pleasant, showed me the funeral home, explained what duties I would be expected to do. Took about 3 weeks to get background check and drug test completed. Hired.

Interview Questions

• They asked me were I wanted to be in the company after I graduate from Funeral Director school.   1 Answer

Funeral Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Scottsdale, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

For a large chunk of the interview, the manager explained what it's like working for SCI and in a mortuary/cemetery. He wanted to make sure I knew exactly what to expect being in this environment. There was one interview, basic questions about work experience and education. No questions that make you think, like "tell me a time when you displayed leadership." Super easy.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in a mortuary?   1 Answer

Funeral Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Service Corporation International (Sacramento, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interviewer told me a brief history about the company and the amount of services calls the location has per year. I was asked about my educational background why I chose the funeral industry. How many years experience I had in the industry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experiences and what you most like about working in the funeral industry.   Answer Question