Simplex Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Simplex Interview Questions

3.1

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

logic test. Asked a bunch of math/brain teasers. The questions are very simple and stupid. I will not do it again. Questions are generally high school level. The person administrate the test is very stupid.

Interview Questions

• math/IQ test questions. Questions are generally high school level. The person administrate the test is very stupid.   Answer Question

Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simplex (Allentown, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

Cool interview, cool people, great company, I felt comfortable. They told me everything about the the benefits and they described me the job. This is good opportunity, I'm very excited because is my first time in this field.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I had to take a longer wonderlic and then one and a half hour long test on brain teaser problems, solving derivatives, creating confidence intervals, and very basic options problems..if you dont score high enough they make you leave..if you score high enough you do a group project and they pick from there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

First part of the process was to create 2-minute video answers to five questions on-line, including "What makes you the best candidate for this position?", "Estimate the number of fluorescent lightbulbs in the John Hancock Center", and "Do you think a third quantitative easing will be passed?" Two weeks later, 20 of us were brought in for testing and interviews. We were first given an easy 12-min language/math test (really easy), which was followed by a 90-min probability and reasoning test they wrote (much more difficult, tricky questions, similar to those found in "Heard on the Street"). We waited for them to grade the tests, and in 10-15 minutes they came back and read 10 names, asking the rest to leave. They then split us into two groups of 5, and observed us doing a group project where we had to decide which of three hypothetical projects (with pros and cons given) would be best for the company to undertake. Finally, they gave us individual interviews. We were each interviewed twice, both times by two people. This was more relaxed, asking questions that were more about background, or why you want to work with them and in that job. This interview process took about 4 hours, and they were very nice, pleasant, and approachable.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the number of fluorescent lightbulbs in the John Hancock Center.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

Interview

Interview process started off with an online video test in which 5 brain teasers/personality questions were asked and you had about 2 mins to answer each. Questions were mainly open ended, others similar to those in "Heard on the Street." In order to pass to the next stage you must answer these correctly. You also need to take an 8min Wonderlic test and pass a certain amount.

Next was a group interview at the office (nice place), which consisted of 20+ other candidates. 2 tests are given: another Wonderlic, and then their own quantitative/logic test which we were given to complete within an hour and a half. The test was very difficult, consisted of numerous problems dealing with statistics, basic option theory, and many many brain teasers. Practice up on these to stand a chance.

Candidates were cut, and the next step was a group project. After that were personal interviews, which you were asked various personality questions and generic scenario questions. Received offer later that week. Maintained contact with HR thru email. Very courteous and willing to answer any questions.

Overall, great experience. The process is very cutthroat, but the company/people are top notch.

Interview Questions

• There are 8 blue socks, 10 red socks, and 6 green socks in a drawer. If the socks are randomly distributed in the drawer (i.e. not in pairs or any other grouping), and you are blindfolded, what is the minimum number socks you must draw from the drawer in order to be certain you have at least 2 socks of the same color?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

The first round of the process was a quick online Wunderlich test, followed by a webcam interview. A week or so after that I was called in with about 20 other candidates for the in-person interviews. There, we took a full Wunderlich test, followed by a longer, more difficult test on math, problem-solving, and basic options knowledge. After the tests, they sent half of the group home, while the rest of us stayed for a group scenario exercise, and finally 1-on-1 interviews. The whole process took about 4 hours.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience, and was genuinely disappointed that I didn't receive an offer after making it so far. The office is beautiful, and the people I spoke with were bright and genuine.

If you make it to the interviews, my only suggestion (which probably applies to all interviews) would be to always keep in mind what they would want a prospective hire to say. A couple of questions lead towards a more obvious, canned answer, but I answered honestly, and I think perhaps my candor cost me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Read 'Heard on the Street' if you can. Almost all of the questions were derived from there in some way   Answer Question

Assistant Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

The preliminary interview consisted of 4 questions, two logic two basic. Each answer was video recorded through a web service and submitted to HR. There was no human-human contact.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

Met the company through career fair at school. They seemed awesome. Got scheduled for on campus interview. Basic technical questions. Object Oriented Design, C++, etc.

Interview Questions

• Write a program for a robot to go over a track. Example, turn left till there is way or turn around till there is way to move forward.   Answer Question

Got a better offer else where.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

Interview

I met with them at the career fair and was called to inform that I will have an 1:1 interview with the CTO the next day. The interview went for half an hour. He asked me some questions regarding my resume and a couple of technical questions - explain a couple of C functions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Simplex (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

Total interview process took about 3 days. I received a brief phone interview initially, then they sent a Wonderlic test to my email. After I submitted it, I was invited to participate in their "junior trader day" - an all day even that consisted of a longer Wonderlic, and a multiple-page math and logical reasoning test.

The Wonderlic was fine, but the other test included the following types of questions:
    - some stat and probabilities like ones included here and from the book "Heard on the Street"
    - solving derivatives
    - basic options theory
    - word problems

I thought I did fine, but when you're up against people pursuing phD's in math from U of Chi for a jr. trader position, your chances dwindle. There were 9 of us out of 150 applicants that made it to the final round.

Interview Questions

• 3 groups of different colored socks, something like (21 blue, 14 red, 18 green). If in the dark and can't see, how many socks will you need to pull out to make sure you get a matching pair?   1 Answer