Skillz Server Java Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Skillz Server Java Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Skillz

Java Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process was different than usual. Consisted of an initial phone screen, although in this case I was only asked why I was leaving my current employment and compensation, and the rest consisted of company overview and onsite overview.

This was different as I was asked to perform an onsite almost immediately without any kind of background tests into my technical skills.

Onsite consists of 5 rounds.
1)Laptop Test - 45 minutes, 5 questions in ascending order of difficulty
2)System Design - Load Balancing, Caching, etc...
3)Whiteboard by CTO
4)Whiteboard by Peers
5)Culture Fit Interview

I did not make it past the Laptop Test, although after the test they come in and go over the problems with you which was helpful. In my experience I over complicated the problems, so if there is a any kind of tip I can give you - If you think your solution is going to take a while or is "complex", there is a simpler solution ;).

I only describe my experience as negative because what I was informed to prepare for on the Laptop portion of the interview was COMPLETELY different and did not get a chance to display other aspects of my knowledge. As I spent quite a bit of time on the System Design portion and was very ready for that. White boarding are self explanatory, prep for them on leetcode, hackerrank, etc...

Interview Questions

• 1)Assume Threaded Environment, what can go wrong in code and how to fix it.
       -your given a main, interface, and a global final static variable
    2)Overriding ArrayList equal operator I believe?
       -Basically in main you add an object- array.add(new object(3,4)), then attempt to remove - array.remove(new object(3,4)).
       -You can't edit the main, so you have to override the equals operator in ArrayList in the class method
    3)Overriding Hashmap equal operator and hashcode
       -Similar logic, you cant edit the main so edit the method.
    4)Threading questions, basically a this.wait()
       -Did not get a good look at this question, but review your Operating Systems. Has to do with thread locking i believe (rusty myself here need to look over it)
    5)Write out the ArrayList class.
       -Write out the ArrayList data structure
       -getsize
       -addElement
       -Remove Element
       -One more which I forgot
       -This question is actually very easy but a little time consuming, I did not get to it sadly   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Skillz

Server Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Contacted through AngelList. 30 minute non-technical phone screen then immediately scheduled on-site after that. On-site was exactly as other reviews described here. First was the Java test, then System design, then behavioral with peers and describing a project from school on the whiteboard, then behavioral with director of engineering team. There was supposed to be a culture fit interview and one with the CEO as well but did not get to that. Overall pretty decent experience but I did pretty bad on the design question I think.

Server Java Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

As described in the other posts, interview was average and not that difficult. But, the company's location in sfo is not that good. And they are very unethical to not even provide lunch during the 5 hrs interview process.

Interview Questions

• - Override equals and hashcode
      - Implement ArrayList
      - question on wait/ notify
      - Design a ticket system   2 Answers