SmartThings Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 36 of over 36 interviews

Employee Referral6%
2.4
HardAverageEasy

SmartThings

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at SmartThings

Interview

I have never had an interview like this but this was the worst interview I ever had. It lasted a whole 7 minutes when it was supposed to be 30. The interviewer sounded like they were in a rush. They only asked my experience with the 6 technologies listed. I'm familiar with 4 of them. The other question was salary, which they said they didn't know what the range was (yeah okay). So I don't know what disqualified me. Very disappointed.

Interview Questions
  • Do you know these technologies
    Answer Question
  • What is your salary range

SmartThings

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at SmartThings in Dec 2021

Interview

Super casual and nice interview process. They had me go through a total of 3 rounds. First round was with the hiring manager, about 30 minutes, discussed general background and experience as well as company culture and fit. Second round was about 45 minutes, with the manager of the team I'd work on. We talked a bit more about what the work was like, the tech stack, and my experience overall, some technical database questions, and general OOP questions. The third round was with the entire team I'd work with. This round was about an hour. I got to know the team members, what the work was like, some past issues, and such. They asked me general CS questions, looked over some of my old code, and just generally got to know what I'm capable of. The interview process was fairly quick, faster than any other company I'd applied to. They got back to me with an offer 2 days after my final interview. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience. Everyone was super professional and down to earth.

Interview Questions
  • What types of databases are you familiar with?
  • What was a significant project you've worked on before? What skills and technologies did you utilize?
  • Why are you interested in working on this team?

The latest conversations about Tech

57 Comments

Tech

204.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=SmartThings~978495
Join the conversation on

SmartThings

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmartThings in Dec 2021

Interview

I had two phone screening interviews. One was with an outsourced recruiting firm and one with the internal recruiter. Both interviews were focused on minimum qualifications, so it felt like an repeat for the second interview. During the second interview, the recruiter mentioned that he was working with internal leaders to let them know that the hiring manager alone should make the decision about the candidate rather than having the candidate meet the team and have them weigh in on the decision. Having the team weigh in seems like a much better use of time than duplicative screening interviews. As a candidate, I would also like to have some insight into my potential future team. I didn't get an offer but I did get a rejection e-mail that stated: "Unfortunately, we are not able to have further discussions at this time or provide specific feedback on our decision and next steps." This is a good indicator that this wouldn't be the type of culture where I would thrive. It is pretty clear that SmartThings does not have a culture of compassion, collaboration, or feedback.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmartThings (Minneapolis, MN) in Jul 2021

Interview

Three rounds of interviews as follow: 1. HR screening, the recruiter was super nice and he was obviously very proud of SmartThings and succeeded in getting me even more excited to interview. 2. Hiring Manager, introduced the position and the scope of his team. Asked about my experience, we just had a really nice conversation about tech and what my interests are. 3. Technical Interview, a Senior Dev on the team talked to me about technology. No coding challenge although I had crammed really hard to prepare for one. I was asked hypothetical high-level questions about system design. Again, a really fun conversation with a really nice guy.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to talk about my experience and my school and personal projects. How would you design a system as described? I didn't feel like I was being grilled, it was a fun interview process.

SmartThings

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmartThings in Jul 2021

Interview

They sent me a link to schedule an interview so I scheduled mine for the next day. The next day, I wake up and get an email saying they don't want to move forward with my application. If that's the case, then say so in the first place...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmartThings (Mountain View, CA)

Interview

First had a chat with recruiter, then phone screen, then onsite. Onsite consisted of two technical questions (first was architecture design, then coding), then one one Ops related interview, and finally behavioral. Pretty unprofessional: never got a response after onsite, and two of interviewers were unprepared and seemed to not care. Does not reflect well on potentially what team and company culture is like.

SmartThings

Application

I interviewed at SmartThings in Feb 2021

Interview

HR Call + Manager Screening on Zoom. HR was super unprofessional. HR and manager didn't show up on time. No response from HR for almost a month after the screening. Emailed HR and got rejected on the same day

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

SmartThings

Application

I interviewed at SmartThings

Interview

I submitted an application online and received an email to schedule for a phone interview with recruiter. After phone screening, I was scheduled for zoom interview with hiring manager. The process took about a month.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at SmartThings (Mountain View, CA) in Jun 2020

Interview

I applied to SmartThings mid-April, and had a recruiter reach out to begin the interview process in mid-May. Step 1 was a fairly straightforward 30 minute intro call with the recruiter. Step 2, later in the month, was a 45 minute video call with a manager. This step covered a few very basic live-coding exercises and explaining my background and skills. The manager told me on the spot that I would be moving on to the on-site interview (virtual due to work-from-home conditions). Step 3, the virtual "on-site" interview, was the final step. It was five 45 minute rounds with different members of the engineering team, ending with the team's manager. This is where red-flags started coming up. The first 3 of 5 interviews were extremely unprofessional, and I had no desire to work with those members. The first interviewer had nothing prepared, and in an effort to not waste the whole 45 minutes threw out the stereotypical go-to system-design question "how would you design a parking lot"? The second interviewer had no energy or personality, but thankfully didn't waste my time. The third interviewer literally said he didn't care about the product (using an explicit word) that the company built. He showed me the smart device that the company gave him for free and he said it was never plugged in or used. The last two interviewers were prepared and professional. About a week later, the recruiter called saying the team debriefed and would be extending an offer in a day or two. However, a week passed without hearing anything. I sent a follow up email. The recruiter then called back saying they were closing the position due to budget constraints. There was no apology for the time I had invested, and they simply said to check back on their site to see if the position reopened so I could REAPPLY. Not a chance.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at SmartThings (San Jose, CA) in Jun 2020

Interview

Initial Manager phone interview. Later Coding Assignment then virtual Onsite Interview. They wanted someone who knows reactive swift, From initial interviews i was clear that I have no experience in it. Still manager cleared the round the assignment was in coding challenge in reactive swift was able to learn and complete the project. For onsite they asked questions on the coding challenge . Answered to my knowledge as I has not much experience in reactive Swift. Finally rejected saying they want someone who knows reactive swift. Just a waste of my time, I was very clear I didn't know reactive Swift but was ready to learn. Then reject in first round not after everything

Interview Questions
  • 1. Swift basic questions 2. Coding challenge 3. Questions on reactive swift 4. No coding
Viewing 1 - 10 of 36 Interviews

SmartThings Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at SmartThings as 34.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.41 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Human Resources and Senior Software Engineer rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Software Engineer and Support Technician roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at SmartThings takes an average of 19 days when considering 43 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Support Technician had the quickest hiring process (on average 9 days), whereas Software Engineer roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 24 days).

Common stages of the interview process at SmartThings according to 43 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 41.33%