SmartThings Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 30 of over 30 interviews

2.4
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at SmartThings

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SmartThings (Mountain View, CA)

Interview

First had a chat with recruiter, then phone screen, then onsite. Onsite consisted of two technical questions (first was architecture design, then coding), then one one Ops related interview, and finally behavioral. Pretty unprofessional: never got a response after onsite, and two of interviewers were unprepared and seemed to not care. Does not reflect well on potentially what team and company culture is like.

SmartThings

Application

I interviewed at SmartThings in Feb 2021

Interview

HR Call + Manager Screening on Zoom. HR was super unprofessional. HR and manager didn't show up on time. No response from HR for almost a month after the screening. Emailed HR and got rejected on the same day

Interview Questions
  • Past experience and domain knowledge
    Answer Question

SmartThings

Application

I interviewed at SmartThings

Interview

I submitted an application online and received an email to schedule for a phone interview with recruiter. After phone screening, I was scheduled for zoom interview with hiring manager. The process took about a month.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at SmartThings (Mountain View, CA) in Jun 2020

Interview

I applied to SmartThings mid-April, and had a recruiter reach out to begin the interview process in mid-May. Step 1 was a fairly straightforward 30 minute intro call with the recruiter. Step 2, later in the month, was a 45 minute video call with a manager. This step covered a few very basic live-coding exercises and explaining my background and skills. The manager told me on the spot that I would be moving on to the on-site interview (virtual due to work-from-home conditions). Step 3, the virtual "on-site" interview, was the final step. It was five 45 minute rounds with different members of the engineering team, ending with the team's manager. This is where red-flags started coming up. The first 3 of 5 interviews were extremely unprofessional, and I had no desire to work with those members. The first interviewer had nothing prepared, and in an effort to not waste the whole 45 minutes threw out the stereotypical go-to system-design question "how would you design a parking lot"? The second interviewer had no energy or personality, but thankfully didn't waste my time. The third interviewer literally said he didn't care about the product (using an explicit word) that the company built. He showed me the smart device that the company gave him for free and he said it was never plugged in or used. The last two interviewers were prepared and professional. About a week later, the recruiter called saying the team debriefed and would be extending an offer in a day or two. However, a week passed without hearing anything. I sent a follow up email. The recruiter then called back saying they were closing the position due to budget constraints. There was no apology for the time I had invested, and they simply said to check back on their site to see if the position reopened so I could REAPPLY. Not a chance.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SmartThings (San Jose, CA) in May 2020

Interview

Recruiter reached out two weeks after I applied online. After first technical round I was invited for virtual onsite. Virtual onsite was suppose to have five 45min interviews .After first three interviews I was told that my interview was finished. I was surprised because I thought the interviews went well. A week later recruiter sent me an email saying that there isn't a match at this time.. Worst experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmartThings (New York, NY)

Interview

4 rounds total: First round was with the recruiter/HR, about 15-30min. Just discussed background and high level overview of the company. Set up the next round on the phone with the recruiter for the next day. Second round was with the manager, about 30min. This one was a video chat. Discussed background and some testing approaches. Was told that the recruiter would get back to me about the next steps. The next day I received an email to set up the third interview. Third round was with a team member that I would be working with, was scheduled for an hour but went a little over which I was okay with. This one was a video chat as well. Discussed background and testing approaches again. Went more into detail about the tech and what the job entails. Had a really good conversation. Was told that the recruiter would get back to me about the next steps. The next day I received an email to set up an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of four 30min interviews with various people, both developers and quality engineers. The on-site ended with a tour of the building. Got a call a couple hours later that I would be receiving an offer. The next business day i received a phone call from the recruiter followed by the official offer letter. I had been interviewing at several different places over a course of a couple of months and this one was by far the quickest and most enjoyable experience of them all.

Interview Questions
  • Went over general scenarios for their tech and how I would go about testing them

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at SmartThings (Minneapolis, MN) in Jan 2019

Interview

I got a call from somebody here from Susan Hill. She kept using the word “rad” and “like”. I think she thought that if she used a little catchphrases I would be impressed. I was not

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

SmartThings

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SmartThings

Interview

A HR recruiter called me and scheduled a video call with Hiring manager. Had a 30 min meeting with the Hiring Manager. After few days received an email from HR that they are not interested further

Interview Questions
  • Nothing that stands out. Asked about my experience etc. The Hiring Manager was more interested in hiring a programmer who has worked in technologies that they use, rather than a candidate with strong CS fundamentals and Engineering background. Just asked if I am familiar with few of the latest technologies throwing around some buzzwords. There was no attempt made to have an intellectual conversation about why one approach is better than other.

SmartThings

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at SmartThings

Interview

The interview process began with a simple introductory phone call with a member of the hiring team set up by the internal recruiter. The conversation went well and we moved forward to do a technical screening with the hiring manager. The scheduling of this interview was more complicated than it needed to be. The internal recruiter gave me some dates and times that worked for the hiring manager and I replied that none of those worked, yet they scheduled me for one of those times anyway. The hiring manager called me while I was AFK to do the technical screening and luckily he was a nice guy who was understanding of the miscommunication. We scheduled another time to do the interview over the phone. The internal recruiter then got back to me and scheduled me at a different time than what the hiring manager and I had agreed upon, to which I followed up and told them about our previous scheduling. Finally all our ducks were in a row and I proceeded to the technical screening. Test was simple enough and I made it to the point of an on-site. At this point, however, the internal recruiter followed up with me and said that they needed to have a phone call before I proceeded to the on-site interview. This conversation was the general recruiter interview in which they ask about compensation expectations and other logistical information. However, when the recruiter seemed insistent on having me name a number for my expected compensation, AFTER we had already gone through two phone interviews (that took a decent amount of time), it seemed a bit unorthodox, and if this was a concern, it should have been ironed out at the beginning of the interview process. I was very interested in the position, and was very reluctant to give any sort of number for compensation expectation in the case that it would disqualify my candidacy. Nevertheless, it was a required part of the process, so I obliged. I made it to the on-site and had a few great conversations with the team. I felt the interviews went so well that I could say with 90% certainty that things were going to work out. I sent a follow up email to the hiring manager thanking him for having me and the standard post-interview pleasantries. This is where things took a turn for the worse. I followed up with the recruiter a week after the interview and they said that they had a few more interviews to complete before they made a final decision and they would get back to me shortly. I waited another week to ping them for an update, and I received no response... then another week, no response. After a month of waiting they said that they weren't going to move forward with me. Thing is, that position is still open on their site. There obviously could be a multitude of factors that led to my disqualification, but from my perspective I believe it was the salary negotiation. My advice for those going into this process: try to make it clear to the recruiter that you're open to negotiation.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SmartThings (Tucson, AZ)

Interview

Applied online with a staffing agency. They contacted me and did a phone interview. After the phone screening, I was offered an Interview with SmartThings. Had my interview with two the Senior Leads that worked there. Asked basic questions about what I knew about the company and my past experience in Technical Support, Sales, and Customer Service.

Interview Questions
  • Asked for previous experience in Technical Support
Viewing 1 - 10 of 30 Interviews