78% would recommend to a friend
(87 total reviews)
100% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Smart people and the SmartThings platform is interesting." (in 11 reviews)
- "Benefits are great and company seems to really care about employees." (in 8 reviews)
- "The company provides a great culture for creative individuals who have a passion for the next phase in IoT." (in 8 reviews)
- "Highly flexible and good work life balance for most people" (in 5 reviews)
- "I just started at SmartThings and the team has been great!" (in 5 reviews)
- "Requires employees to be a little scrappy to get some stuff done, but management is aware of and driving changes to this." (in 4 reviews)
- "The only con I can see in the Minneapolis space would be parking is a little difficult, I LOVE being in the heart of NE but parking any where can be a little walk (tho it is exercise which I should NOT complain about)" (in 3 reviews)
- "Leadership team is strongly divided internally." (in 3 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of SmartThings and is not affected by filters.
Found 87 of over 92 reviews
Updated May 18, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0May 18, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearMinneapolis, MN
Good culture with a focus on continuing improvement and openness. Soft benefits like PTO, flexible scheduling, 4 day week, remote, etc. are great, and respected/encouraged by management. Opportunity for exposure to a wide variety of technologies at scale, with opportunity to move internally and follow your interests. Engineering first culture - we're encouraged and enable to build and collaborate. Genuinely distinct from Samsung in culture and day-to-day vibe, not a siloed megacorp environment. Potential for future growth within/alongside Samsung is significant.
Samsung's culture is very different, which can lead to friction and dramatic shifts in priorities. How much this impacts you is heavily dependent on your position. Pay is not competitive with other tech companies, and no equity to compensate. Expectations are high - constant learning and comfort with ambiguity are required. Teams are generally understaffed, which leads to difficult prioritization decisions and pain when there is turnover in key roles. Long term outlook is heavily dependent on management and stakeholders in Samsung following through on promises.
- 4.0May 11, 2023Product ManagerFormer Employee, more than 1 yearMinneapolis, MN
4-day work week Good salary Available mgmt
Work with Korea is not managed by mgmt High turnover Favoritism keeps toxic workers over others Work life balance is all work no balance
- 5.0Nov 8, 2022Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 year
- Filled top to bottom with great people - Life/work balance isn't a catchphrase, it's a real policy - Interesting products - Free, able, and encouraged to make your voice heard in all areas
- Relationship with Samsung is still tense and confusing sometimes - On the flip side of everyone's voice being heard, sometimes decisions need to be made. People are reluctant to be the Bad Person.
- 5.0May 5, 2022Engineering ManagerCurrent Employee, less than 1 year
* Great management * Very bright co-workers * Remote work * Flexible work schedules * Competitive salaries * Organization that continues to evolve to keep up with latest technologies * Support from a parent company - ensures overall stability * Excellent resources for support - there are always other employees who are willing to help out to answer questions * Great benefits
* You have to be willing to be flexible and self-motivated * No kitchen snacks as a remote employee! However, there is a monthly budget for fun team activities. * Occasional late night meetings with overseas counterparts1
- 5.0Sep 4, 2022EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearMinneapolis, MN
Summer Fridays off, above market average salary, unlimited PTO, interesting cutting edge technology, supportive and collaborative environment, constantly surprised by new perks.
Imposter syndrome, do I really deserve to work somewhere this cool?1
- 5.0Aug 30, 2022Senior Software EngineerCurrent Employee
Company culture improvements. They use new and cutting edge technology and processes.
They could do a better job helping to develop working relationships with Samsung employees around the world.2
- 5.0Aug 22, 2022Senior Software EngineerFormer EmployeeMinneapolis, MN
The culture is open, inclusive, and supportive.
A large number of languages, platforms, and frameworks are used and must be learned quickly to succeed.
SmartThings Reviews FAQs
SmartThings has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 92 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at SmartThings to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.
78% of SmartThings employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SmartThings 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.